Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Poll: What do you think of the Google Chrome browser?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / September 5, 2008 4:23 AM PDT

What do you think of the Google Chrome browser?

-- Using it and loving it. (Please explain.)
-- Downloaded it, used it, and deleted it. (Please explain.)
-- Using it and still debating if it's a keeper. (Please explain.)
-- Will definitely have to try it. (Please explain.)
-- I don't need another Google product. (Please explain.)
-- I don't care for another browser. (Please explain.)
-- If it's not made for Mac, I'm not interested. (Please explain.)
-- If it's not made for Linux, I'm not interested. (Please explain.)
-- Other (What is it?)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poll: What do you think of the Google Chrome browser?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poll: What do you think of the Google Chrome browser?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Downloaded but not installed
by rbsjrx / September 5, 2008 2:10 PM PDT

Its design looks interesting enough to try, but early user reviews suggest it may not be ready for prime time. Also, even if I loved it, I wouldn't switch until there was a Linux version available. Finally, I'd expect it to either provide, or have a way to install, all of the add-on functionality I'm used to using with Firefox. It's the incompatibility of some of my favorite add-ons that prevents me from updating Firefox 2 to Firefox 3 (although I do have Firefox 3 installed on of my Linux machines).

Collapse -
Yep!
by samusgravity / September 5, 2008 2:19 PM PDT

I just downloaded it, and I am currently debating installing it. Since I already have Firefox 3, I probably don't need it.

Samusgravity

Collapse -
chrome
by jayso / September 5, 2008 2:30 PM PDT

isn't that what they used to put on car bumpers? yep...if you're old enuff to have seen one. I didn't know trere was a new brouser until i got this weeks e-mail. unless it knows what I need and finds it before i even have to ask, I dont see any benefit except to the exclusive ads to sell something. Otherwise it's just something else to clutter and slow the system down

Collapse -
Totally Satisfied w/Opera
by wireaddict / September 5, 2008 2:47 PM PDT

Besides IE, I've used Firefox, Avant, Maxthon & Opera; I prefer Opera's combination of speed, security & free e-mail. No desire to try Chrome. Wish them well, though.

Collapse -
it's pretty fast
by 7aji88 / September 5, 2008 3:05 PM PDT

I know it's still beta, but this thing works noticeably faster than FF.

Collapse -
If it ain't broke, don't fix it
by sharee100 / September 5, 2008 3:06 PM PDT

IE broke. Firefox works fine. No need to change. There are too many other events in life to spend my time on.

Collapse -
Bad start...
by thebigjimsho / September 5, 2008 3:28 PM PDT

Well, I downloaded Chrome and clicked on a video tutorial on how to use it. It froze. I deleted it. It may have been a one in a million occurence. But since I'm happy with what my mother calls "Gorilla Fox"(she may not know what it is that I downloaded for her, but she knows it's much faster than IE or AOL), I'll stick with that for a while longer...

Collapse -
message for thebigjimsho, don't know how to send it directly
by chiara embaum / September 5, 2008 4:25 PM PDT
In reply to: Bad start...

hi, how funny, I have been calling it Gorilla too....................
Probably a Mom thing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????

Collapse -
Loving it
by David_G. / September 5, 2008 4:05 PM PDT

I think it's pretty much the same as the last IE, but it's faster, cleaner, there is a lot more space to see the page since they stripped off all the bars that were useless. Also, I like the main page of the favorites. And since it's google, we know it's open source (wich is kind) and we know it'll be updated.

Right now it's in the beta phase and it works pretty well. Not everything is perfect, but I'm gonna stick with them.

PS: I hate M$ so when I can move outside their range I'm happy. I use vista since it's the best (for me), but I'm trying to get less other M$ stuff. Viva google! =D

Collapse -
Google Chrome
by dougib / September 5, 2008 4:17 PM PDT

Downloaded twice and deleted twice as I can see no reason to switch with from what I saw and tried(both times brief)

Doug

Collapse -
Google Chrome browser?
by tosim91 / September 5, 2008 4:19 PM PDT

I've bveen using Opera for almost 10 years, and would not change to any other browser. Have tried them all out.

Collapse -
Opera - Never tried but friends have ?? moved on
by dougib / September 5, 2008 4:26 PM PDT
In reply to: Google Chrome browser?

Curious as to what makes Opera special? Other than that, I'm close to retiring MS and moving over to Mac.

Doug

Collapse -
GOOGLE CHROME COPIES FIREFOX
by chiara embaum / September 5, 2008 4:19 PM PDT

From what I've seen a lot of the Firefox features where copied by Google for this thing, I wonder if that's legal.......................

I am totally happy with Firefox. Just checked the Chrome thing out of curiosity.

Collapse -
no desire to change
by 1gerrit1 / September 6, 2008 2:15 PM PDT

I don't want to tie myself to a browser that probably has or or will have a proprietorial interest. I intend to stay with Firefox and would go to a Linux program before going to any program that is associated with a company, no matter how well intended.

Collapse -
My major objection is:
by Howmu / September 10, 2008 11:33 PM PDT
In reply to: no desire to change

that Google chrome is not compatable with Roboform. This means a lot of extra typing and filling forms. So it's back to Firefox for me at least till Chrome becomes Roboform compatable

Collapse -
Chrome and Firefox are Open Surce
by albizzia / September 12, 2008 6:14 AM PDT

Since both Firefox and Chrome are based on open source code, they can freely copy from each other, so yes it is legal.

Collapse -
loved
by MrMe003 / September 5, 2008 5:21 PM PDT

just two words: fast & light.

Collapse -
Downloaded, tried it for a bit, deleted it
by ajharry1 / September 5, 2008 5:32 PM PDT

Did not handle my favs correctly and I don't like the idea of fully automatic updates so I deleted it. They fix the favs problem, and drop the idea fully automated updates then I might think about using it.

Collapse -
Google already knows too much about me.
by MGBa / September 5, 2008 5:52 PM PDT

Another Google toy that should help them to know more about its users.
Read the License agreement and if you are still using it do not complain about other software collecting user data anymore.

Collapse -
Installed and tested
by pjimenezrios / September 5, 2008 6:13 PM PDT

I like its presentation. It seems very simple, but I do not need more. The only problem is that plugins for running certain websites are not available. May be other problems not seen yet. It could be too early to speak about from the user point of view.

Collapse -
So Far Quite Nice
by timwerx / September 5, 2008 6:20 PM PDT

I've only used it for about 7 hours. It certainly copies much of the niceties of Firefox. It is fast with some pages; not with others. I personally like the big, clean pages showing Most Visited, History, and Downloads. I didn't like having to install a newer (Beta) version of Java. (It apparently doesn't like the version which Firefox was happy with.) So far, it appears to be as good as Firefox against spyware.

While irrelevant to most users, one thing really appreciated is the ability to change the UI language at will after installation. That's very nice for us who may need bi- or multilinguality.

It will now have to earn the trust equal to the other big ones.

Collapse -
Avant Web browser
by eedgar356 / September 5, 2008 7:00 PM PDT

Chrome basicly is good ......But cannot compare to AVANT!!!! Here's why!!! Avant has everything I need in it's tool bar from print preview to tiles horizontal...has instant, automatic ZOOM, has autofill...Avant IS MUCH FASTER & best of ALL NO AD ONS.....Avant is complete with everything I need from day one.....Byfar the best web browser out there....& belive me I have tested them ALL from FF,opera,Maxthon, The world, etc. etc.....& another thing I can ONLY GET DIAL-UP where I live so speed is very important to me

Collapse -
I would like to try it but. . .
by PCuser / September 5, 2008 7:08 PM PDT

I am still operating on Windows 2000 and Chrome won't run on it.

Collapse -
chrome
by joe man / September 5, 2008 7:58 PM PDT

i will wait for the mac version and have a look but who needs another browser?

Collapse -
What do you think of the Google Chrome browser?
by skipette69 / September 5, 2008 8:02 PM PDT

I only downloaded it last night, but have enjoyed it so far.
It seems easier to use but there is more to it. Can't really explaine that but it's a great browser. May even make it my default.
I also have IE and Firefox.
I heard about it from a TV interview for Googles 10th birthday celebrations.

Great program.
Thanks Google

Collapse -
chrome browser is kind of fast n not heavy.
by bisher alloush / September 5, 2008 8:15 PM PDT

i download the google chrome browser its good for the slow pc as it is not big to be installed and interactive for many ppl.
even though it has many facilities that u can manage it in a simple way.
i thnk that its good but need to be updated and to be official google browser.. =] keep it up google guys =]

Collapse -
You Might want to give IE8 a try
by waytron / September 5, 2008 9:04 PM PDT

If you are in the mood for trying browsers you might as well give the new beta of Internet Explorer 8 a try as well as Safari. There is something to like with all of them. It will be interesting as to who will eventually win out in the war of the browsers?

Collapse -
Chrome
by phantomasc / September 5, 2008 9:12 PM PDT

My default browser is Firefox 3, I also have IE 7 (rarely used), and now Chrome. Chrome seems fast, perhaps faster than FF on loading pages. I do miss the Google toolbar, part of the reason I may stick with FF. Another slight annoyance, is the "F11" key does not toggle to maximum screen size as it does with FF and IE. As I use "Snag It", FF gives me a little greater screen size to work with. Both Chrome & FF can be used at the same time, which is nice, no adverse reactions between the two.

Collapse -
Google Chrome browser first reaction.
by Mike.wheeler / September 5, 2008 9:40 PM PDT

I loaded the Google Chrome browser as soon as it was available, and was pleased with the initial uncluttered format.

On giving it its first search, It did not find what I was looking for.

I then logged onto Yahoo and asked the same question word for word and was immediately presented with answer I was looking for.

I shall not be deleting Google Chrome but most of my searches in future will be done with Yahoo.
Mike Wheeler

Collapse -
Chrome can use any search engine
by albizzia / September 12, 2008 6:21 AM PDT

Upon installation, Chrome is set to use your default web search engine, and can be changed to use Yahoo, Live Search, Ask, or any other search engine as default. Of course, you can access the websites of any search engine as well.

I've set my default to Google, as I still consider it the best web searcher, but I've got several other web searchers in my Favorites. just in case.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.