PC Applications forum

General discussion

Poll: What do you do when you get software update notifications?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / February 22, 2013 8:16 AM PST

When you get a notification for a software update/patch, what do you do?

-- I click on "download" and then "install" and let the software do its update.
-- I have my system set to automatically download and update it.
-- I go to the publisher's Web site, and download the update and install it on my own terms.
-- I check the .exe file name, look it up to see if it's legit before installing.
-- I use a third-party software update management utility to screen my updates.
-- Other methods. (What is it?)

Take the poll here: http://forums.cnet.com/2706-21566_102-2097.html

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poll: What do you do when you get software update notifications?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poll: What do you do when you get software update notifications?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If it's Windows updates, I do it most times
by wpgwpg / February 22, 2013 8:44 AM PST

If it's inconvenient for some reason, I'll put it off, but usually I let it download and install the recommended updates, but NEVER download drivers via Windows update. And normally I don't do the optional updates. I've been downloading and installing all the recommended Windows updates since Windows 98 on about 3 dozen computers, and haven't seen the first problem with any of them. I wonder about the folk who claim they cause them problems.
You didn't specify whether you're asking about just Windows updates or all from different sources like Adobe, Firefox, Chrome, etc. Normally I'll do the Adobe updates. With Firefox I don't think it has an automatic update, so I check for those every couple of weeks. With Chrome it seems to ask daily & I usually let it do the updates too.
These are the only ones I remember getting updates for - I'm probably overlooking something, but that's all I can think of for now.

Collapse -
About Firefox....
by btljooz / February 23, 2013 12:45 AM PST

Yes, Firefox has an automatic update function. It's in Tools>Options>Advanced tab>Update tab. , personally, do not use it. Because I've had Firefox hose itself in the past by automatically updating itself, I have mine set to never automatically update anything but the Search Engines I have installed. When I do update the program, I do a complete uninstall of the old version and then a clean install of the new one and then re-add my Extensions and Search Engines.

As for Adobe, Java, etc. I do NOT use Adobe Reader. I use Foxit Reader, instead. The only reason I allow Adobe Flash on my computer at all is that I've found no replacement for it and dumb web developers insist upon using it. Same goes for Java. I don't allow Google ANYTHING on my computer at all. That said, when these programs need updating I go the uninstall then re-install route.

Collapse -
To update or not
by pauly1651 / February 22, 2013 9:48 AM PST

I only say yes to updates IF they are from a trusted source!

Collapse -
How do you...
by btljooz / February 23, 2013 12:30 AM PST
In reply to: To update or not

determine if they are from a trusted source? Confused

Collapse -
Other method
by capoderra / February 22, 2013 11:18 AM PST

I use ninite.com to install. You can keep the installer and use it to update the applications you installed using ninite.com. Whenever I see the popups asking me to update, I just double click on the ninite file.

Collapse -
I do not allow updates of Microsoft at all
by Bobco002 / February 22, 2013 4:18 PM PST

I find that microsoft updates slow my computer down and because I only use it for basic things like browsing the internet, email, word/excel etc, I have not lost any functionality. I also have an anti virus malware program so I don't worry about loss of security. My computer works so much quicker than when I did accept the updates.

Collapse -
Me too...
by btljooz / February 23, 2013 12:27 AM PST

I've stayed with XP SP2 with no problems at all. But I'm OCD about keeping my system clean, too. I use all the best practices there are available that I know of. Have only been infested with mal-ware a grand total of 3 times in over ten years.

Collapse -
A combination of things
by btljooz / February 23, 2013 12:23 AM PST

The only program on my computer that I allow to update automatically is the Anti-virus and that is for Definitions only. I've had programs completely blow themselves up by automatically updating the software. So, when a vender has updated its program, I have found that if I really need that updated software it is best to just uninstall the old version and install the new one. I normally wait for quite a while to let any bugs get worked out of that new version first, though, and I keep an .exe of the old version around just in case. It's all just easier that way.

Collapse -
My bad - I forgot to include...
by btljooz / February 23, 2013 12:52 AM PST

that I get my .exes from their own vender websites unless they require that their software is downloaded from another server. I never get them from a third party.

Collapse -
Damn if you Do, Damn if you do Not.
by lenber / February 24, 2013 10:48 PM PST

You really can't win.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.