Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Phones

General discussion

Poll: What cell phone manufacturer are you loyal to and why?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / July 3, 2007 8:39 AM PDT

Apple
LG
Motorola
Nokia
Palm
Pantech
RIM BlackBerry
Samsung
Sony Ericsson
Other

Make sure to tell us why that specific phone manufacturer you voted for stand out above the rest.

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poll: What cell phone manufacturer are you loyal to and why?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poll: What cell phone manufacturer are you loyal to and why?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Preference for Motorola
by jhacker / July 3, 2007 6:27 PM PDT

I have owned several brands of cell phones. They include Audiovox, Nokia, LG, and Motorola. The one I usually come back to is Motorola. I've found that at least in the models I've owned, Motorolas tend to have the best call reception and sound. Also, they're very easy to buy accessories for. I believe Motorola did release some ugly and poor quality phones in the early 00's so I stayed away from them. LG is not bad in my opinion and I would purchase that brand again also. The brands I've had bad experiences with are Audiovox and Nokia. I wouldn't touch those with a 10-foot pole.

Collapse -
dissagree hate motorola love nokia
by ashrodd02 / July 3, 2007 7:09 PM PDT

nokia new breed of mobiles has left me in awe,
the ability to multi task on the n series and how everything is
calibrated and works together so well.
this has shown me an opening of easy to use mobiles of the future

motorolas however, have left me in disappointment. exept for their sexy design. it just seem ashame to me when people go buy the in the shops
and only see what it looks like and not how it works (very poor).
there navigating isn't logical, and as clean as the nokias.

peace

Collapse -
So many cell phones so little time!
by mm2kanda73 / July 4, 2007 6:45 AM PDT

I have had numberous cell phones over the years. I love Nokia! And sadly just moved back to the west coast and went back to Cingular/AT&T (they can never make up there minds) and they have virtually no Nokia options. It made me sad! I now have a Moto Razr XX something something. Can this thing die any quicker??
I have had SE, Samsung, many many many Nokia's even had a blackberry Pearl. Nokia's have always gotten great cell signal for me, so easy to use, generally pretty darn sturdy.
And as for those who voted Apple as there favorite phone... umm lets see you've had them for not even a week?? Pfft! I can't even break in most shoes in a week. And in the long run many of those of those had gone back to bite me in the *** (or the backs of my heels :P)
I'm sorry but that is not the kinda money I want to spend for something that breakable, that new, that many glitches, that much drama and so theft worthy!

Collapse -
I totally agree....
by cobalt anubis / July 13, 2007 10:39 AM PDT

Nokia N80 is my 3rd Nokia after two Moto's. I love my Nokia's and was happy to depart from Moto.

Collapse -
Well, my experience is that I like both Motrola and Nokia.
by CarlosFr / July 8, 2007 10:10 AM PDT

With a small preferrance for Nokia. Eventhought I have some difficulties with the sound qualitly of the Nikia MP3, but it is satisfactory when I ride on the bus home and I do some silent sign alone. They could improve on the quality of their MP3. Of course what I truly bought was as a cell phone and not an MP3 device. I now own a Nokia 6255i, and I am inlove with it eventhough my phone technician have tried to get me to purchase Motorola Raz. I guess I should follow his suggestion, but I have humboly stayed loyal to my 6255i, eventhough IT has new models and it has been updated over and over again by Nokia itself and other phones manufaturers like the one wekk and half old IPhone (hype and all).

I find both Motrola and Nokia have my vote. I have owned couple of GLs V300 as backup and have had very little difficulties with them and I think it is excellent quality also.

I have not owned anything else, so I am a bad example of tech saavy kind of guy. I guess I should go for one of those other more TECH perfect phone, but I let everyone else pay for the inovation and I buy them a year later for half the price when all the bugs and difficulties have been purchase by those people with a lot more money than I.

Collapse -
Count one more for Motorola
by chaibacca / July 3, 2007 10:15 PM PDT

I just went through another round of intensive cell-phone shopping and ended up choosing Motorola again, as had two years back. A huge factor was the proprietary connectors and dongles required by other phones to connect a USB cable and/or charger. Except for the Nokia 5300, every one I looked at required a proprietary USB connector plus a prorietary power plug, and some wouldn't even charge from a USB port when connected to a computer. I don't want to have to carry around a specific USB cable and charger for each electronic device (phone, camera, MP3 player, etc.), I want only to have to carry one standard mini-USB cable and/or charger that is easily replaceable (and CHEAP) if it gets lost.

One would think it costs a company more to design a proprietary connector for power and data, and many consume considerably more space on the phones themselves, so why do they do it? Well, many don't supply a data cable with their phones. They sell them separately, for list prices up to... get ready for this: $50! You can buy them on eBay and elsewhere for much less, but I'd prefer to reward companies that show a little more respect.

While I agree with other reader's comments about software, specifically that Motorola s/w has its ups and downs, I also find M's phones offer very competitive call quality, generally far superior speakerphones, and most of them are quad-band.

Collapse -
One more choice
by davideo / July 4, 2007 12:30 AM PDT

Easily the most popular answer, if offerred, would have been: NONE

Collapse -
Choice - None
by abubakar_uet / July 4, 2007 1:29 AM PDT
In reply to: One more choice

I totally agree - that's why I checked "other"

Unfortunately, only the Sprint signal is picked up in my apartment, and not in every room. My phone used to be a Handspring Treo, which was replaced with a Palm, which was upgraded when it broke to a Palm 600. I don't like it. When there are phone problems, Palm says talk to Sprint, Sprint's web page refers me to Palm. When it broke the last time, Sprint said I should use my insurance to replace the phone. No way. That insurance is if I drop it or something like that. The fee includes them fixing the phone if it breaks because of something not related to what I did to it. If I use the insurance, it costs me $50 - if they fix it, I don't have to pay. It took many calls and going to the store and waiting on a huge line to get them to fix the phone.

Last week, when something broke, I was hoping to get an upgrade to a new phone - but they streamlined their lines, and actually fixed it in under 10 minutes from my entrace to the very busy store! Maybe Sprint is learning something from all the complaints.

Collapse -
Cell Phones
by rajavesw / July 3, 2007 6:56 PM PDT

I have owned Nokia, Motorola, LG, and Samsung.
Out of all, I like Nokia for very easy menu navigation, long battery life (relatively) good signal pick up (where LG G3100 is so bad on this). Spares / reparability / accessories too add in to this list.

I have Motorola's F3 (the cheapest of all), the usablity (Menu &SMS) is so bad. But it stands good for other aspects like signal pickup, clarity, battery life, sleak, etc.,

Collapse -
Loyal to apple??
by _sorrow_ / July 3, 2007 6:59 PM PDT

How can the current 9% be loyal to Apple, they just put out their first phone! If you're claiming loyalty, does that mean that in 2 weeks if you HATE your iPhone you'll stick with it, because your loyal?

It's like saying your loyal to eating some kind of food that you like the idea of, but you really have no idea if it will make you sick or not.

Collapse -
who cares
by ehallspqr / July 4, 2007 12:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Loyal to apple??

Isn't it obvious? Because after just a few days most intelligent, open minded people can see this is the best smartphone ever put into production. We all know Apple people will love this thing and Windows people? Well, they will continue to grind their little Ax of envy. Don't worry, uncle Bill is coming out with his own iphone copycat device called "icommunicator" and then all the MS faithful can run out and buy that like you did the "ipod killer" Zune. Oh wait nobody bought the Zune.....

Collapse -
iphone=smartphone???
by uberryan / July 4, 2007 4:11 AM PDT
In reply to: who cares

the last time I checked the iphone wasn't a smartphone.

7) It's not a smartphone: As much as Apple wants you to think their "open application development" using webapps is actual apps, it's not. You can get some stuff done using webapps and Safari, but as of right now, support sucks. Until people start developing apps specifically customized for the iPhone's quirks, you won't be doing anything super fancy. And of course there's no way for you to get "real" Cocoa-based apps onto the iPhone.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/buyer.s-guide/wait-ten-things-you-should-know-before-you-buy-an-iphone-274432.php by jason chen

Collapse -
It's semantics
by ehallspqr / July 5, 2007 9:02 AM PDT
In reply to: iphone=smartphone???

There are plenty of phones that can do far less than iphone that are called smart phones. For the sake of argument let's just call it a super enhanced multi-media phone. In all fairness Apple has taken a lot of the work out of finding and installing aps to run on the phone. Rather the concept is, you do all the work on your Desktop at home and then just sync/download it all into your iphone. Right? And there are some aps written for it already. Search on the web. You have to really dig around but their out there. People are and have been working feverishly to catch up. The popularity caught people by surprise and the secretive nature of it's development have slowed the effort down but now everyone is jumping on the band wagon and support for this device will grow. It was the same story with the Treo when it first came out. Now you can get anything that you want. I suspect most people with be using iphone to surf the web and for multi media. Email, texting and even the phone work seamlessly. It's good at what it's designed for. Business users get the latest Treo, Pocket PC or carry your laptop around. Me I want to play on my handheld.

Collapse -
Smartphone-Apple? 2 words that do not belong together
by jeeplikens / July 10, 2007 5:59 PM PDT
In reply to: iphone=smartphone???

I agree uberryan.. Anyone who thinks the whyPhone is inovative needs to check into rehad. Touch screen? My PDA does that. Makes phone calls. Yep, my Sanyo does that very well. Streaming video, watching LIVE programming? Yep, my Sanyo SCP-7500 evdo phone does all that. The phone is only as smart as the user. So guess those iPhones are feeling pretty dumb about now..

Collapse -
Nokia!Of course
by danny cena1067 / August 23, 2007 5:18 PM PDT

connoisseurs, subtly glides, meticulously considered, to complement the prestige, heighten the experience, exclusive audio accompaniment, award-winning composer, elegance, Zen-like, epitome of style and elegance, organic flowing lines, dynamic surfaces, tensile strength, destined to age with grace, bi-stable spring mechanism and stainless steel ball bearings, aural accompaniment, emotion that touches both heart and mind
IMO, has the best design and ease of use, sleekest looks, most brilliant screen, most logical menus, most flexibility. HANDS DOWN!!!

Collapse -
The Cult of the Mac Strikes Back! (Sorta)
by Beaters / July 4, 2007 9:58 AM PDT

WTF is up with Mac people? I grant Mac makes nice laptops. I might even buy one next time. The question remains, though, of how one can have even evaluated a device like this in a couple of days let alone compared it against the competiton (Sony Ericsson W810i just for example).

I mean, for one thing, without having seen a Mac phone yet I already know: you are stuck with one service provider. No unlocked phone for you. You're at the mercy of your service provider. With many phones you can just remove your SIM card and plug it into another phone or buy another company's SIM card and plug it into your existing phone. Sony, Motorola, Nokia, almost all the major manufacturers provide this versatility. Apple? No, and I wonder why not.

Collapse -
And yet most people follow God?
by Mikayla82ca / July 5, 2007 2:07 AM PDT

They didnt ask "Have you tested this cell phone brand yet?" They asked "What brand are you loyal to?" A good % of the people that voted for mac, did so because they use their computers and are loyal to that brand. Of Course they are going to buy and Iphone. If Mac made white bread you can bet they would buy that over wonderbread. I like Macs, and ya, i got suckered into the Iphone. But I like it!!! (Steve jobs just walked out the door with his gun so I can speak freely now) Its an ok phone. But HEY it syncs with all my mac apps. And that makes me happy. Happy

Collapse -
not 31% own a Mac
by Mr-Opinion / July 11, 2007 4:01 PM PDT

Though the own a Mac - by anything Apple is a very plausible theory, and follows the gullable theory there is are two major problems

1st. the percentage of people that own Macs vs. otherPC's is considerably less than the poles 31-34 %

2nd. The question was very specifically " which CELL PHONE manufacturer are you LOYAL to " not which one are you interested in, which one would you buy, from which company would you expect the best product etc.

Defenition of Loyalty as it comes to products : " Have had one or more, will definatelly buy again "

APPLE should never even have been on the list

Collapse -
Nokia
by kogatheninja / July 10, 2007 8:18 PM PDT

started out with nokia, as did most people and haven really used them over the recent years. but now their new N series is pretty good so i might go back.

Collapse -
"Mac' phone - love the words but
by Mr-Opinion / July 11, 2007 3:51 PM PDT

As much as I love the 'wacky humor approach' and agree to the pathetic brainless follow anything public I have to give apple one excuse on the simm card - being formost a computer (or video I-pod)& phone second its very large memory systems doesn't lend itself well to a standard phone simm
and by the way Verizon insists on non removable simms
Very good Reason: to make stolen phones useless -
with all others, steal a better (or working phone) pop in you sim and you got a five finger upgrade (no not free service)

But I'm with you Mac's a good computer but a phone is something different - and since its 12 days old , lets see in 6 month when the bugs become known

Collapse -
Intelligent and open-minded?!
by money11465 / July 4, 2007 4:25 PM PDT

You call yourself intelligent and open-minded when you blindly follow a product you haven't used? You call yourself that when you believe some silly company's propaganda? Okay, I see.

Collapse -
I have an phone...
by ehallspqr / July 5, 2007 7:22 AM PDT

....unlike most people bashing it. At least get off you *** and go to an Apple store and try it out. I arrived at my well thought-out conclusions after doing months of research online before I even bought the phone. Then I played with the iphone for 3 days before posting. How did you arrive at your intelligent opinion? Are you just gifted? And how did you make the decision to buy your own phone before you actually bought it? Did you get one loaned to you and test it for 6 months before you bought? No. You read about it, you may have previously used products from that same company, maybe you played with it at the phone company store for an hour or two and then you made the decision to buy it. Right? It's all a leap faith man. Sometimes your right, sometimes your dead wrong. Right know I feel I made a great choice and so do most of the people that bought the iphone. It is a perfect fit for me and I can live with it's shortcomings mentioned by the bashers. If I was worried about unlocked service, or silly ring tones, or running business aps on my phone (who really does that?) or getting the cheapest hardware and service or any of the other blah, blah, blah gripes I have heard by the bashers, then maybe I would have opted for something else. If any company ever comes out with every feature, every service for every single person who has some special want, then all you perfect world perfectionist can run out and buy it. Till then why don't you try holding your breath. I live in the world of reality and the iphone works the best for me out of all the smart phones I have owned. It is hands-down the best multi-media Smartphone yet and it will be well copied by every other cell phone or pocket PC maker in the years to come. Check back in a year and we will see who is right and who is eating their words about the iphone.

Collapse -
Can't argue with very good logic - but...
by Mr-Opinion / July 11, 2007 4:13 PM PDT
In reply to: I have an phone...

Absolutelly impecably stated, and it does catch most of us ' downtalkers' a bit with our pant down ...
but .... anybody as smart, thoughtfull and inversigative as the writer has to also acknowledge that:
a) loyalty is earned and not granted on a product before its sold
b) obviously not 31-34 % bought one so what are they judging it on
c) question was loyalty - not interested, might buy etc.

Now I loved your last line and agree, lets see in six months, though unfortunatell I expect a let glorifiable outcome than you do.

But I loved you post, thurough, inteligent, logical and compassianate in what you like, and that no one can argue with. good luck- enjoy

Collapse -
iPhone = nannyphone, Why is the iPhone crippled?
by nutjob / July 6, 2007 6:43 AM PDT

Nice phone I just wish Apple thought their users were smart. If it ws not crippled it would be a great phone.

My initial disposition was that it is very nice looking, decent ease of use but Apple decided to cripple it to make sure people do not make mistakes.

Safari on the iPhone is very good at the sites it can read. It reads very few sites. Web 2.0 sites are not accessible and cannot download anything via Safari. These functions were obviously crippled by Apple so you cannot get into any trouble downloading. This is the only ?smart phone? that does not allow browser downloads.

What no SMS. What smart phone does not have SMS? What phone over $100 does not have some kind of SMS feature? This was eliminated because Apple did not have a go way to monitor your SMS messages.

ITunes is used to validate the phone, why? This in the future will allow Apple to monitor your calls and tell you who to call and when. It also keeps you hooked to ATT for five years. After the two years is up, you will not be able to use the phone with any other USA company. You will need a three way validation system (ATT, iTunes, and Sim card).

NO 3G. The iPhone comes with a 3G card; ATT has a 3G network but Apple choose to cripple the phone at 2.5. Why? Are you not paying for a 3G data plan.

No replicable battery and a recessed ear buds keep people connected to limited offerings of Apple. I am on the road 10 days a month and use iTunes on my home computer. Why do I need to bring an extra cord along?

The iPhone is a very good iPod but the phone sound quality and range is meddling.

In summary the iPhone is a very good mash up of ideals, it comes with high ease of use but it lacks functions that are standard on other phones, and is crippled in its use. If you have not used a smart phone in smart ways the iPhone is a will look like a very good purchase.

Collapse -
Fool make companies rich
by Mr-Opinion / July 11, 2007 3:37 PM PDT

I love your answer - it shows so much how ignorance is bliss -
no service history - no experience history - the only thing anyone knows is what 'apple' has brainwashed us with for 6 months -
You have one ?? willing to switch to a lousy provider to get one ??
willing to shell out the extra internet fees for slower service when WIFI is not available ?? Love your ringtones ? - well you can't download then to I-phone and one more little bug I find - but thats personal --- I dial numbers often by touch - especially my speed dials - now do that on a touch screen with no buttons - there is a reason why keyboards still have buttons -----

but more power to apple - I hope they got your 600 washingtons - they won't get mine - not even if the become available on a better service provider

Peter ( love verizon - Samsung - Palm )

Collapse -
lol
by strykernyc / April 15, 2008 12:18 AM PDT

apple users in general are satisfied very easy and can't think outside the box. apple throws a pc or phone or ipod and says this is what u are going to use but u cant do anything else other than what we tell you to do and u say ok master I am shallow and cant think outside the box.
apple is evil. why I can't build a computer and install the crappy apple os x? why I can't install windows or linux on a apple machine? why I cant install anything other than what apples wants me too on my iPhone? why I can't have anything i want on my iphone? in windows mobile phones u can dream of anything and u can make it real. think of anything and i bet there is a software for it.
I dont need a ipod, i dont need a iphone and i dont need a mac. my treo wm can do everything and wayyyy more than any iphone and my treo is my mp3 player. 8gbs of music on my phone nmm sweet plus is bluetooth and works perfect at home or on my car Happy my custom build pc is wayyy better than any apple computer anyone out there has.

Collapse -
Agree
by jfodgers / July 4, 2007 2:44 PM PDT

Loyalty takes time. Apple should not even have been on the list

Collapse -
What? What's with the high percentage of "loyalty" to Apple?
by wazo502 / July 5, 2007 5:03 AM PDT

Did someone purposely spiked the poll or did a bunch of people became Apple slaves? I mean, I like Apple products ... but never for their version 1.0 ... if you know Apple history, they USE consumers like us to "TEST" their products. go and ask those who got the 1st version of Apple products. Total junk. Of course, they improve all the faulty area toward the end of the product cycle (usually the most reliable by the 4th or 5th version)

Back to cell phone: I've also used many cell phones ... I know Sony Ericsson has a really bad rap (I think they still do) ... but I love their features and functions (when your phone is problem free). The software side is intuitive, the phone is always feature rich with bluetooth and IR, good for transferring things on and off of the phone. I've used the k700i and the W850i - both nice phones. I have to say the same for Nokia -- my wife has used Nokia phones for a while -- they have cool phone designs (if you can get your hands on them, the European and Asian versions) I would say the same for Motorola - solid phones, good design if you like the razors.

Collapse -
It's all semantics, people
by natejohnstone / July 5, 2007 5:43 AM PDT

Look, the poll says which are you "loyal to." People answer questions as they self-define the terms. The originator of the poll didn't say "You must must have used the product for at least 6 months" or anything like that. Some people fall in love in the first few weeks of dating a person, and some people become loyal to a product right away--some take a very long time.
I just got my new Sony w810i a week ago, and I can tell you that I AM NOW A BIG SONY FAN. The phone rocks, the best phone I've ever had, and I will totally get a Sony for my next phone if possible.
Is my "loyalty" misplaced because--unbeknownst to me--the phone will brake in another month and I'll be mad? Perhaps, but in the moment I'm answering this question, I'm saying that I'm loyal to Sony.
Anti-Mac people are just as rabidly insane as Mac fanboys are. It would be quite amusing accept for the fact that they are so often mean-spirited as well. The difference is Mac fanboys are happy and having fun buying their new WonderPhone, anti-Mac people are...what..mad that others are happy?...jealous?...need more fiber?...I can't quite figure it out. If someone buys the iPhone and likes it, hooray for them--why should you care and call them names for liking a phone just because it was uber-hyped? For that matter, why do you care so much that they like their iPhone? If they are in love with Apple because they think their products are superior and want all their friends to enjoy those superior products as well, then who cares? I think the iPhone looks great, though I won't buy one until a later model that does what I need it to do. At that time, I might switch loyalties to Apple in the area of phones--though I think I'll always like Sony too.
But for now, if you've had a great experience with a phone, I'm happy for you. If you love your iPhone or N95 or Blackberry of PoS phone then that's wonderful for you. Lord knows I've had some bad phone experiences myself, so I hope others have good ones.

Collapse -
Very Well put Nate
by ehallspqr / July 5, 2007 9:18 AM PDT

Each to his own. My main thing is people are bashing something they don't even an inkling of knowledge about. They are totally clueless and they are arguing with someone that has been using the device for the last 24 hours straight and has the dam thing in their hand. Their reaction is based on some sick, primitive, jealous knee-jerk reaction I guess. I would not even begin to comment on your Sony cell phone. I know zero about them except Sony generally makes pretty good products.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.