Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps

General discussion

Poll: What browser do you mainly use and why?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / February 17, 2012 7:46 AM PST
What Internet browser do you mainly use on your computer and why?

-- Chrome (Why this one?)
-- Firefox (Why this one?)
-- Internet Explorer (What version and why this one?)
-- Opera (Why this one?)
-- Safari (Why this one?)
-- Other (What is it and why?)
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poll: What browser do you mainly use and why?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poll: What browser do you mainly use and why?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Mozilla Firefox 3.6
by TWB404 / February 17, 2012 7:56 AM PST

It is the last good free version out there. With the release of Google Firefox version 4 they shifted to doing what was best for keeping the Google dollars rolling in and not what was best for the user.

Collapse -
No such thing as Google Firefox
by pamelad / February 17, 2012 12:47 PM PST
In reply to: Mozilla Firefox 3.6

Chrome is Google's browser. Firefox is by Mozilla.

Collapse -
Sure there is
by TWB404 / February 18, 2012 12:31 AM PST

90% to 95% of Mozilla income is from Google. When Google picks up the phone and tells them they want a change placed in the next version of Google Firefox, they do it. Why do you think they now copy everything that is Google. From the new release schedules, tabs on top, ad blocking add ons that do not block ads, to a cache folder that takes super human patients just to go thru, and then the most important thing, they no longer cache the videos you watch online. Firefox turn the standard .flv video into a steaming video so all that is Google You Tube is no longer stored in your cache folder.

The biggest question you have to ask yourself is why have they stayed on this course. Since the release of Google FF4 they have gone from 30% of the browser market to 25%. The people running Mozilla are college educated people who can do simple math, but the insist on staying on the course that keeps bleeding market share. So why stay on a course that is doing nothing but turning people away from their product. So yes in my humble opinion Mozilla is nothing more then a servant to the G$.

Collapse -
Where's SeaMonkey?
by Crash2100 / February 17, 2012 9:37 AM PST

I have to ask, why is it always FireFox? Where's SeaMonkey? SeaMonkey does everything, not just browsing. I've used SeaMonkey ever since the beginning when it was called Mozilla. All because the interface looked like the old Netscape Communicator 4 suite, but more importantly, the program actually worked.

Collapse -
Got to agree
by TWB404 / February 17, 2012 10:54 AM PST
In reply to: Where's SeaMonkey?

I have been playing with SeaMonkey and will make the switch to it when 3.6 is no longer supported. I just wish there where more add ons for it.

Collapse -
What add-ons do you want?
by Crash2100 / February 17, 2012 12:21 PM PST
In reply to: Got to agree

What are you looking for? Because I've been able to find nearly every add-on I've used made for both Firefox and SeaMonkey. And in a few of them, all you have to do is modify stuff in the add-on file to get it working in SeaMonkey.

Collapse -
Privacy ones mainly
by TWB404 / February 18, 2012 1:04 AM PST

I wished I could find an old version of AdBlock plus for SeaMonkey. I no longer trust AdBlock Plus since he decided to allow some ads. I know you can turn it off but i just think what the developer did is wrong. I tried Trueblock but it is the same program with a setting changed. I am going the route of trying to modify my FF add ons but it has been a long time, 20+ years, since I played the roll of key banger trying to hack something to work the way I want it to. Cookie safe is another, I found Cookie safe lite and it works well enough but the full version of Cookie Safe was my favorite. At last I will make the move when Mozilla drops it support for FF 3.6 and completely morphs into Google. I just hope when I do they do not take over and do the same thing to SeaMonkey that have done to FF.

Collapse -
Possibly compensate with this addon
by skycatcher / February 18, 2012 2:49 AM PST
In reply to: Privacy ones mainly

If you don't already have this addon... you may like Do Not Track Plus. This may help with the ads that Adblock can't (or won't) stop. It works a treat - for example... on this page alone it has blocked Eight (8) trackers. Devil

Collapse -
IE8 is still "old reliable"
by rsbeaver / February 17, 2012 10:08 AM PST

I have been an Internet Explorer user for what seems like eons. I do frequently use Firefox and Chrome, and have even loaded and used Safari. Also used Opera.

In the end, I always come back to IE because it just works. Many of the sites that I visit are optimized for IE, and some of my "must visit/use-for-business" websites REQUIRE Internet Explore in order to function properly.

Yes, IE may be bloated; and sometimes it is slow, and sometimes it crashes. But, it also recovers (IE8).

Unfortunately, IE9 is not available for XP (which works with all my business sites, unlike Windows 7, though this is changing). I've been able to try IE9 on a newer laptop loaded w/W7, and it is quite quick.

Firefox was my second choice for use---but lately it is unbearably slow, and I am constantly waiting while it "transfers data" from whatever page I am trying to load. Really liked the earlier versions.

Chrome is a very nice, quick and intuitve browser---but won't open about 25-percent of the sites/pages I need to access. Many of these aforementioned sites flash a notice that they don't support "Safari based" browsers. Hmmm.

Safari just doesn't cut it.

Wish that Opera worked as quickly as it used to...Oh, well.

So, I'm left with MS Internet Explorer. And it works.

Collapse -
Chrome and web pages
by marcycn / February 17, 2012 11:47 AM PST

"

Chrome is a very nice, quick and intuitve browser---but won't open about 25-percent of the sites/pages I need to access. Many of these aforementioned sites flash a notice that they don't support "Safari based" browsers. Hmmm."

Collapse -
Safari or IE9
by ESUNintel / February 17, 2012 10:09 AM PST

I like Safari on the Mac and IE9 on Windows. Safari isn't my favorite, but it works really well with iCloud, so it synchs with Mac's, my iPad, and iPhone.

The reason why I like IE9 is similar, it does a great job synching with Windows Live, so I can have my bookmarks on other Windows computers. As a SharePoint developer, I'm also sort of forced to like IE9.

Collapse -
Waterfox
by sonherder / February 17, 2012 10:09 AM PST

I just discovered Waterfox, which I guess is a 64 bit version of Firefox and the speed is BLAZING! I've gotten spoiled. Loads instantly. What a delight! I have a 64 bit machine running Windows 7 Home Premium. There are isolated things that don't work, but so far it is amazing.

Collapse -
Thanks
by ESUNintel / February 17, 2012 10:12 AM PST
In reply to: Waterfox

Never heard of Waterfox before - thanks for mentioning it.

Collapse -
I use Chrome because
by pookiedacat / February 17, 2012 10:18 AM PST

The evil empire seems to back up all my bookmarks and cookies, which I didn't realize until I installed Chrome on my Mac. Safari is cool, Chrome is well, easier.

Collapse -
I hate tabs
by nikdangr / February 17, 2012 10:31 AM PST

I hear Chrome is cool but I'm sticking with Firefox as long they offer the option to opt out of tabs and Chrome doesn't. Google must have some kind of fetish about tabs. Why else force them on people who don't like them?

Collapse -
Went from Firefox to Chrome
by smokeyjoe7 / February 17, 2012 10:47 AM PST

Firefox was taking forever to load, a Comcast service agent said it was because Firefox was loading too many add-ons, give Chrome a try, I did and am happy with it.
I do browse "Incognito" and also clean out everything when I finish.
What is the minimum services that can be run on Windows 7 without creating another problem in other areas?

Collapse -
Camino
by marikavs / February 17, 2012 11:24 AM PST

I've been using Camino on my Mac since FireFox got slow and top heavy. Also it no longer supports the plug-ins I was using it for. I still keep it around, but may remove it soon. All those updates are driving me crazy. I wish they'd update Camino soon, though. It keeps refusing to quit. I got tired of reporting it.
WaterFox sounds intriguing. Will have to check into that - and see if it's available for OS X. I don't use Windows (XP) often enough to keep anything other than IE8 and FireFox on it, but that may change soon as well.

Collapse -
Firefox on Beta Channel, Currently Version 11
by Ron Geiken / February 17, 2012 11:26 AM PST

I have been using Firefox for a few years, and had version 3.X installed last year, but got on the Beta Channel and now they are up to Version 11. It is running good and the speed is as good as any browser I have used. I flirt with IE9 and Chrome at times, but they don't provide the Integration that Firefox does. I have really customize my version of the Firefox browser, so it has just the features that I want. If anyone feels that a certain add on is slowing down the computer, you can just disable it, and if desired remove it. My biggest irritation is with the Google toolbar which went away for a few months, but recently it reappeared. I have 2 lines of bookmark folders and can find any place that I want to go that has been bookmarked in just a few seconds. I recently installed the vertical toolbar and it is a welcome addition. Right now, I can't imagine changing over to any other browser. When you set Firefox up right, you will not want to change over to any other Browser. One of my favorite add ons is Persona with Rotator that allows me to have a new look to my browser every few minutes. Of course my satisfaction may have to do with the fact that I have an Intel i7-860 8 core processor with a speed of 2.8 gig, and 8 gig of ram. Buy a more powerful computer if you can afford it, and you will be pleased with the results.

Collapse -
Firefox on my iMac
by Susan Brodsky / February 17, 2012 12:06 PM PST

I have used Firefox and Safari on my iMac, but I find that Firefox is much, much faster than Safari. It loads much faster, does everything much faster, and I have no idea why, so I hardly ever use Safari. Whenever I re-start a browser, and in Firefox I keep 6 windows with about 6 to 10 tabs open in each window, it loads and opens up each tab much faster - no comparison at all - than when I re-open Safari, which only has 3 windows open and about 6 tabs open in each window.

My system, for memory, says 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM (have added memory). I have no idea why tabs in Safari open so extremely slowly, and sometimes cannot open what is there and I have to go into each tab that won't load and press ENTER for the URL separately on each tab for the tab to load the URL.

My ISP provider is Comcast cable, if that means anything.

Collapse -
Msn
by haf canadian / February 17, 2012 12:41 PM PST

I like MSN Explorer's interface mask over IE9, but have to say its not what it used to be. My new iPad has me thinking my next computer will be a Mac, so a new browser after 17 years is a good possibility.

Collapse -
IE 9 for me !
by harpic04 / February 17, 2012 1:35 PM PST

Dear Lee,
I am sticking to IE 9 Browser if only for its reliability; its speed is adequate for me. I have tried Firefox and Google Chrome, but both tend to upset many other of my programmes. Better the Devil you know !

Collapse -
What Browser do you mainly use?
by granlov55 / February 17, 2012 3:12 PM PST

I have tried many and keep going back to firefox! they always seem to be the fastest! My security system works great with it and it always has tabs ready and waiting... Just seems to be the best to me!

Collapse -
(NT) IE, cus Windows build-in
by hifly.liu / February 17, 2012 8:29 PM PST
Collapse -
Chrome
by Loctite2301www / February 17, 2012 8:34 PM PST

Chrome: fast, relyable and stylish
Firefox: best addon packages

Collapse -
What internet browser do you mainly use in your computer
by neil e. potter / February 17, 2012 9:19 PM PST

I mainly use Chrome because is more stable and faster

Collapse -
(NT) Chrome, because Explorer went slow on me....
by gfoley1 / February 17, 2012 10:10 PM PST
Collapse -
chrome because ie went slow.....
by susanai / February 18, 2012 9:35 AM PST
.....I have been using Chrome for a year now. IE started getting buggy and slow. Chrome is like another planet - cool and clean and fast. Love their extensions and app store.
Collapse -
preferred browser
by martinbel / February 17, 2012 11:14 PM PST

I have used all the major browsers but I find Chrome to be the most trouble free and uncluttered.

Collapse -
IE 9
by red-ray / February 17, 2012 11:16 PM PST

As a developer I have an army of browsers installed on my pc but for my personal use I prefer IE 9, though I use firefox on my kubuntu.

Collapse -
Firefox
by Speedlighting / April 8, 2012 7:59 PM PDT
In reply to: IE 9

I use Firefox because the newest version is very easy and also has many advantages like add-ons and speed.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.