Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Tablets

General discussion

Poll: Tablet owners, are you concerned about viruses...?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / May 10, 2013 8:52 AM PDT
If you own a tablet, are you concerned about viruses and other malware infecting your device?

-- Yes. (Do you have security apps on your device?)
-- No. (Why not?)
-- Somewhat. (Please explain.)

Get your votes in here:
http://forums.cnet.com/2706-21566_102-2175.html
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poll: Tablet owners, are you concerned about viruses...?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poll: Tablet owners, are you concerned about viruses...?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I have an iPad, a IPhone and a MacBookPro
by billd888 / May 10, 2013 10:49 AM PDT

While I do not have security apps loaded directly either iOS device, I regularly connect them to my Mac where I have VirusBarrier Internet Security installed and scan each device a couple of times a week to be sure that I haven't picked up anything that can cause problems. I know that lots of Mac fans believe it's not a good idea to put security software on a Mac, but as long as it is an effective tool, I see nothing wrong with it.

Collapse -
I have a Nexus 10 with Avast and Advanced System Care
by Ron Geiken / May 10, 2013 11:04 AM PDT

After I got my Nexus 10, I immediately installed Avast Anti Virus that I use on my W7 computers. There is a version for Android. The way that Android works, A firewall is not effective unless you have the device rooted. So far Avast has not found any malware on my device. I installed Advanced System Care on the Nexus 10 too since they now have a version for Android. With my device at least, it is all good so far. It seems the best chance to pick up malware or viruses is when you actually use a Browser to connect. Most of the connections seem to be via the app which uses it's own internal browser evidently. That may be the reason that tablets seem to safer. With a W7 machine, you usually get to where you are going through a browser such as IE, FF or Chrome. If you get to an unsafe site with a browser, you will definitely have to have the firewall and anti virus active. The Internet is wide open and there are lots of sites that take advantage of that by installing malware if you let them. A good Firewall and Anti Virus will warn you about that, and you can abort the installation. Even Mac's OS X is vulnerable to malware as has been reported recently. With Java and Flash for Windows, there is even a greater chance of malware getting in especially if the 3rd party programs aren't up to date. If you use Windows, install the Free Secunia PSI program that will inform you if any of your programs are not up to date. I use that on both of my Windows 7 Computers. If PSI can update program, it will otherwise it will inform you that you have to do it manually.

Collapse -
The only problem with secuirty is when you think it exists
by Crash2100 / May 10, 2013 11:17 AM PDT

No matter what you/re using, you should always be paying a good attention to security, especially when you are using an unknown public internet connection. Even though Apple wants people believe otherwise, everything (including Apple products) can be in danger of getting viruses and malware simply by the product's popularity in the public eye.

Collapse -
Nothing yet . . . in all these years
by Devoted2as / May 10, 2013 7:38 PM PDT

Our family (with grown kids doing the same) all have used Mac products since the mid 1980's, probably because we were using them in the schools. We've had many desktop and personal computers, iPods, iPhones and so on over the years, but never had a firewall, worm catcher, or any of that security for any of them and never had even one problem. Maybe we're lucky, so we count our blessings. (Almost forgot, our daughter won a Dell with her college scholarship and gave it to a friend.) I've used Dell also at work, but at home, Apple suits us pretty well being worry free.

Collapse -
Definitely not.
by Hartiq / May 10, 2013 9:26 PM PDT

When I retired, I decided to buy some inexpensive toys with a small bit of the redundancy package: an e-reader, an android tablet and a house. Little things. I'd never had either of the first two and I was glad to finally get rid of the mortgage.
Neither the e-reader nor the tablet are high-risk boxes so I have security for neither. If either of them does catch a nasty I'll learn something from the experience, even if it is only where to recycle them. That is the only reason I bought them, to learn how to work them. Catching a virus/worm/trojan might even be fun.
So far as I know, I've never had a bug on my PC's nor on the wife's Mac but I take precautions with those as they are not just toys.
I suppose that were I to use the tablet for anything serious I might bother to think about protecting it, but I don't so I can't be bothered.
My router has a firewall, so the little toys are protected a little but I consider them expendable.

Collapse -
Edit function?
by Hartiq / May 10, 2013 9:50 PM PDT
In reply to: Definitely not.

I do *use* the android tablet, I leave it plugged in unattended and let it run SETI@HOME < http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/> and other BOINC < http://boinc.berkeley.edu/index.php > pojects like this one< http://volunteer.cs.und.edu/subset_sum/ >. These are supposed to help Science and Humanity and Posterity and all those yummy good things and the tablet isn't doing much else most of the time.
BOINC have their own security, so I'm not worried about harming them nor about them harming me.
I run the Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search < http://www.mersenne.org/ > on a notebook box and SETI and EINSTEIN on my main Windows desktop but those *are* protected.
Sorry to reply to my own post but I can't see an obvious edit function.
H.

Collapse -
Antivirus for tablets
by Bocanut / May 11, 2013 5:01 AM PDT

I use Vipre Internet Security (yes, that's the correct spelling for Vipre) on all my devices. Android Phone, Android Tablet, and notebook's. I am a computer Technician, and a dealer for their program's. I've been using Vipre for about 5 years without any problems.

www.GFI.com or www.sunbeltsoftware.com will get you there, or download from Google Play Store.

Collapse -
iPad is PERFECTLY SAFE! (except for the browsers)
by Practical-Mac / May 13, 2013 1:56 AM PDT

The beauty about iPad (with iPhone and iPod Touch) is the controlled environment of the OS that makes extremely difficult for malicious software to get installed.

The ability of installed apps to run background tasks is also highly controlled, so mal-ware installed as background app is also extremely difficult.

The one weakness is the browser, as web sites run Java and Flash scripts and those can be malware vulnerable.

*As long as one does banking by the individual bank apps and the like, the chance of being compromised is almost impossible.*

Of course, don't lose you iOS device! Password it for safety.

On a side note, Android is Open Source software, it is wide open world.

But don't take my word, go research on the internet.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.