Phones forum

General discussion

Poll: Should cell phones be allowed on planes?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / September 5, 2007 8:45 AM PDT

Should cell phones be allowed on planes?

-- Yes, all cell function allowed!
-- Yes, but only for text messages and checking voice mail. (Why?)
-- Yes, but with certain rules set in place. (What would those be?)
-- Not certain. (Why?)
-- It really depends. (Depends on what?)
-- No (Why?)
-- Absolutely not! (Why so adamant?)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poll: Should cell phones be allowed on planes?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poll: Should cell phones be allowed on planes?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Yes, but with certain ... keep it quiet, don't annoy others
by ChuckT / September 5, 2007 11:25 AM PDT
Collapse -
ring tones at 25000 feet
by mittens / September 5, 2007 11:42 AM PDT

clicky clicky clicky clickety clickety clickety clickety clickety for three hours straight...

ring tones to die for

if they must allow cell phones, allow them in a separate section where they can annoy each other! If you have to call home to make sure the dog is being fed, maybe you shouldn't have left?

Collapse -
Clickity Clickity
by rjf9999 / September 5, 2007 9:36 PM PDT

Is the noise of cell phone text messaging any more annoying than a person composing his great American novel on his laptop?

Collapse -
cell phones on airplanes
by atvguy / November 23, 2007 9:49 AM PST
In reply to: Clickity Clickity

texting is a good happy medium as are laptops ppl dont (generally) scream @ laptops or coo 'how's my widdle cuddly wuddly doin? i'm just trying to be realistic. & if there is a real emergency? pay $ 50 & go to stewardess station for monitoring
God Bless
atv guy

Collapse -
Hell no, never allow use of cell phones on planes.
by kenouryios / September 5, 2007 12:28 PM PDT

There is so many rude , obnoxious people in the world now and I don't want to be sitting beside a guy trying to act cool on a cell phone for 2 hours that's on welfare and acting like he's got something I don't. It's usually the people that are insecure that are on cell phones for hours on end , talking about a lot of nothing!

Collapse -
by attilad / September 5, 2007 11:06 PM PDT

You'd prefer he talk to you?

Collapse -
I will Boycott any airline that allows cell phone use.
by wjcsltd / September 6, 2007 1:32 AM PDT

I fly back and forth from NY to Florida quite often on business. Sometimes it is an opportunity to get last minute paperwork completed, or take a badly needed nap to make up lost sleep time or just try to relax a little. It is absurd to think that I could be sitting next to some obnoxious person who screams on their cell phone; just like they do in public places; airport terminals, restaurants and just about anywhere else. Some people think that screaming makes a difference in getting their point across. I don't need the added stress of having to listen to someone elses problems on top of the stress we all suffer just by flying with all the delays, cancellations, security, etc. Can you imagine the screaming when a plane is stuck on the tarmac for hours because of delays.
I won't fly any airline that allows cell phone use in the air and if stuck with someone who is annoying I will rip it out of their hands and destroy it. Trust me I will.

Collapse -
Cell Phone use on Commercial Flights
by jcmarlton / September 6, 2007 2:52 AM PDT

I agree, NO cellphone use at all on planes.
This would create a hostile attitude among us who prefer the drone of engines as a white noise background to relax, sleep and quietly daydream.
The flight attendants have enough BS to contend with without a fistfight in the aisles over some moron talking to anyone!

Collapse -
by myerslaw / September 6, 2007 4:13 AM PDT

Unlike a normal handset on a land-based telephone, a cell phone DOESN'T give the speaker "feedback" as he/she talks -- especially giving a clue to the volume. So people talk far louder than they really need to, not realizing that the microphone is able to transmit at lower volume. So, you might choose to 1) advise the annoying caller sitting next to you in a restaurant/airport/car/concert that it isn't necessary to speak so loudly, or, 2) tell them to shove the cell phone up their tush (which is what you really want to do, anyway)

Collapse -
Boycott is a good tactic
by Gibsonws / September 6, 2007 10:50 AM PDT

Pretty much agree. Just remember what happens when you land and phones can be used, multiplied by 100. I also like the idea of putting all users in one area so they irritate each other and not me. What I would suggest is accidently spilling your drink on their phone instead of violently yanking it away and throwing it against the bulkhead, more class.

The only way I can see this working is to require those who use a cell phone to wear a completely enclosed motor cycle helmit while they talk so they do not disturb others.

If that is not required, always travel with someone, leaving the middle seat open. If a phone talker occupies the middle seat, start carrying on a very loud conversation and sing off key. Whatever it takes to get the message across!

Collapse -
motorcycle helmet?
by winsoftwareman / October 24, 2007 12:28 PM PDT

lol that's a little extreme. I support the idea fully. I also support that there should be wifi on airplanes.

Collapse -
What will you use it for?
by JohnG2 / November 21, 2007 8:50 PM PST
In reply to: motorcycle helmet?

So with wi-fi you could connect your laptop to the aircraft's internal network. Now what are you going with that? Swap files with other laptop users?

Collapse -
Boycott is a good tactic
by Michael Tobin / November 25, 2007 12:31 AM PST

Great response.....Had to laugh out loud to some of your creative ways to solve the have you and a friend sit on the aisle and window etc......The air carriers have cell phone usage. Only you have to use 'their' cell phone. I am not certain it is a true cell phone, but their charges are outrageous. I doubt the carrier would be interested in losing that profit center. The airlines say cells "Could possibly" cause interference with the planes electronics. What a bunch of nonsense. That argument should go the way of the pacemaker and microwaves. Ban the cells until the passengers and cell phones learn sign language.

Collapse -
cell phone on planc
by NinRose / November 23, 2007 9:54 PM PST

The person has as much right to use their cell phone as you have to take a nap or do paperwork. Their business is no less important than yours. If your ripped my cell phone out of my hand I assure you I would rip your laptop out as well. Everyone's rights should be respected. You would wish you had one if you got in a circumstance such as 911 when people called their loved ones to say "goodbye".

Collapse -
having and using
by randysvh / November 24, 2007 8:30 PM PST
In reply to: cell phone on planc

having them and using them are two different things. i think they are a valid and valuable tool in this day and age. The phone is nice and should be used for emergency situations and i think you should. In daily operations though it is intrusive to others next to the user. i do not deny the need or the use of the phone to others, but only when it does not intrude on the people around them or next to them on the plane.

Collapse -
Should cell phone users be allowed on airliners
by wketel2 / November 24, 2007 8:03 AM PST

Users should be allowed, but the phones should be switched OFF. First reason is to avoid loud-mouthed blabby people bothering others, and second because some of the new cell phone functions are going to be even more irritating than the loud-mouthed users. Also there is no guarrantee that some cell phones will not interfere with some of the avionics electronics. And I don't want to crash just because some fool had to talk!

Collapse -
Hell yeah!
by kwiswall / April 1, 2008 6:04 AM PDT

I agree with you and with a person above your message, there are people in the world that can't be civil and respectful on the phone and that is precisely why cell phones should not be allowed.

I am not going to put up with someone on a 12 hr flight to Europe. When you are sitting next to me for 12 hours your business is unfortunately my business, and frankly I don't want to have anything to do with your mama drama.

No cell phone or airplanes! Sorry, but I don't have any compassion for cell phone-addicts.

Collapse -
cell phones
by slimshady01 / September 6, 2007 3:33 AM PDT

I can't be leave the people who would want an IED under there seat.
I don't want to be on any plane that allows people to bring a cell phone
(sorry, detonator) on board.

Collapse -
hell no. no cell phones on planes
by destinedforit / November 23, 2007 8:39 AM PST

I agree, I can see where that is a privilege and, one, that could potentially be abused in a terrorist mannner, unfortunately. There's NOTHING that cannot wait to be told or hear b 4 landing.

Collapse -
cell phones on airplanes
by IRMA LOPEZ / November 24, 2007 10:05 AM PST

cell phones should be used in private. i don't want to hear what other people are saying and i don't want them to hear what i'm saying. if you constantly have to be on the phone with someone, then you have a problem.

Collapse -
But is it safe?
by JoanKelly / September 5, 2007 12:33 PM PDT

I don't fly very often any more. The last time I flew was to Vegas in 2000. At the time, I flew an Aerobus non-stop redeye, both directions, with 32 people on the flight out and 29 people coming home.

My understanding at the time is that the Aerobus was a fly-by-wire plane, and the use of cell phones would mess with its operation, and therefore were forbidden while the plane was in operation. I don't know if this is still the case.

The number of people involved was relatively small. Yet, as we were preparing to leave, one young lady was on her cell, holding forth with a person with whom she was obviously involved in business. Every other word was f*** this and f*** that, and she was getting louder and louder. Other passengers were more annoyed than I was, commenting loudly on her manners. The stewardess finally got her off the phone so we could leave. This was after 1 am Vegas time.

As we were landing, this inconsiderate girl got on the phone to tell her party that she was at the airport. Come on, now, was it REALLY necessary to call while we were still IN THE AIR?

People like this are dangerous, and since we were dealing with a relatively small sampling, population-wise, I hate to think of the result if cell phones were allowed--and safe--on all flights. It would make flying unbearable. two cents.

Collapse -
Re: But is it safe?
by skiltech / September 6, 2007 12:38 AM PDT
In reply to: But is it safe?

"...and the use of cell phones would mess with its operation, and therefore were forbidden while the plane was in operation. I don't know if this is still the case."

I don't think it was ever the case. I think they were just trying
to make people use the horribly overpriced airphones if they really
needed to make a call.

"Every other word was f*** this and f*** that, and she was getting louder and louder."

But wouldn't that same person have been just as obnoxious if they
were having the same conversation with the person next to them?
And wouldn't that have made it worse if you had to listen to their
companion's replies as well?

The only thing that's needed to make this work is a little civility
among the passengers.

Collapse -
by mpmacal / September 12, 2007 9:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: But is it safe?

You are exactly right. It make it work, people just have to be thoughtful and civil.

Since that is not going to happen, (have you been to an airport lately?), I vote no.

Collapse -
by winsoftwareman / October 24, 2007 12:30 PM PDT

this explains everything. this is the solution. HappyHappyHappy

Collapse -
Technology is just a capability, not the cause.
by Sarahcatt / November 22, 2007 3:53 PM PST

Just to clear the air, there is no definitive research that can connect the current generation of cell phones to disruption of a properly functioning avionics system on a commercial aircraft. I don't believe there ever was. Remember, bureaucrats pass laws and create regulations, not scientists. Let's get to the actual problem.

There is a distressing and continuing tendency toward blaming technology for social problems. The fact is, some people seem to be unable to rear children that understand consideration and accountability. I see little difference in someone being obnoxious on his or her cell phone and someone screaming at the top of their lungs.

Most of us have the physical ability to annoy others without needing to have anything other than that with which we entered this world. After all, my dog can almost always get my attention by peeing on the floor and that doesn't require a lithium-ion battery.

Guns don't kill people, a sentient being deciding to shoot the gun, the body's resistance to and absorption of the kinetic energy of the bullets kills people. Don't blame any use of a cell phone for poor social skills. Rent a copy of "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles" and look for the scene on the flight from NYC with John Candy and Steve Martin for inspiration.

Collapse -
cellphones on planes
by ngapuke / November 23, 2007 2:53 AM PST

the reality is that cellphones play a major part in our lives and in the event of something drastic happening at least one would be able to communicate still with loved ones.

Collapse -
I agree
by JustEdd / September 6, 2007 2:39 AM PDT

I agree that people over use cell phones and usually don't really need to use them on a plane in flight.

The claim that cell phones can interfere with a planes navigational and control circuits seems to be an overstated. They said that about computers, CD players, and such at first. A computer can cause a lot more interference than a cell phone. I think the airlines just erred on the side of caution. Or, it is an excuse to keep people from making a flight uncomfortable for others. Possibly they know how rude and offense some people can be when cooped up for hours in a long metal tube.

There is one real threat from cell phone radiation (use). It seems that they can cause ICBM and SAM missiles on the ground to launch themselves and shoot directly towards the cell phone in use. Fortunately, this only happens on flights I am not on..... Happy

Collapse -
by eftelyar / November 22, 2007 10:14 PM PST
In reply to: I agree

I do think that texting is ok. That way everyone can communicate or at least those with text and there are a few solutions if airlines did allow cell phone talkin: ear plugs, ipods, sleeping, asking politly to your neighbor if they can quiet down. I'm also sure that airlines would give one of those instructional videos on the duration of your call and your cell phone ettiquet and all that other stuff. BUt if anything I think texting should be ok son't you agree?

Collapse -
Can you use your celphone inside a gas station?
by registro_programas / September 10, 2007 6:44 AM PDT

Are you concerned about tranquility during your flight? So much bla-bla-bla from a phoneholic? Can?t you sleep? You better be aware of something else.

Can you use your cell-phone inside a gas station? Why not? The answer is well written in your phone manual, isn?t it? There is a lot of fuel in the gas station containers, so, there is a danger of explosion? but what about the airplane? You are comfortable flying inside the fuselage and nearby the wings, the doors are closed, and once the airplane is pressurized you can?t exit the plane, the doors are sealed and locked and we can say you are wrapped in. Can you use your cell-phone? Maybe, but you shouldn?t, imagine you are in a gas station. The middle compartment of the airplane and the wings are ?fuel container?. They have from a little of 10,000 up to 300,000 gallons of fuel and maybe more depending on the type of aircraft. Imagine you are comfortably flying trying to sleep and your neighbor is using the cell-phone. Do you allow him to use it on the gas station? Is that criminal? Why? He can say that it?s an emergency, he needs to ?call home?, and that?s true, maybe you can travel home whit him, let me say? to another world (or dimension)?

Certainly, the Airbus is a fly by wire designed airplane, some accidents haven?t had a technical explanation, they have more than 200 hundred computers, one after another, even redundant, they are for safety reasons. The newest airplanes from other companies use ?high tech? for fly and navigate. Until the manufacturers, the TSA, FAA and other authorities do not allow, I don?t see why we can use cell phones on a plane.

Believe it or not, I have been flying planes for more than 27 years and like everybody else, I can?t say a little phone call can drive a plane to the ground, but in safety, we shouldn?t play beyond the limits. Can?t your business wait a couple of hours? Ok, no problem, you can take the next plane, nowadays there are a bunch of companies and flights to your destination.

Democracy can?t lead us to take a survey and make a decision, so please, let?s give a chance to the authorities to make their job, finally, they have the assets to make it safe.

Collapse -
Old wives gas station cell phone usage tales.
by Sarahcatt / November 23, 2007 5:07 AM PST

In response to:

"...Can you use your cell-phone inside a gas station? Why not? The answer is well written in your phone manual, isn?t it? There is a lot of fuel in the gas station containers, so, there is a danger of explosion?"

Well, I have never been told not to us a cell phone inside a gas station and there is no answer in any cell phone manual I've ever seen, so I have to answer 'No' to the first and third questions. Cell phones do not product RF interference due to sparks because they do not produce sparks (plasma), which is the electrical phenomenon that can cause ignition of gasoline vapor. This is more bad science.

Curiously, I see people smoking cigarettes in gas stations and convenience stores. That has almost always been the people employed there. People can still carry liquefied (i.e. a pressurized, volatile, flammable substance) butane cigarette lighters on commercial aircraft in the U.S. Some countries still permit smoking during flights. That's a lot more dangerous and a lot more invasive than someone talking on the phone; that only threatens my intelligence, not my health.

I really only want my cell phone on in case someone needs to contact me in case of something urgent and perhaps to keep up with my email. If I can read my email, then I can probably prevent someone from calling from work. The problem is, I can't use wireless messaging when in flight because of the bogus interference non-issue.

When it comes right down to it, I prefer to restrict to the U.S. government, behavior control by lying and misrepresentation of facts. They're really good at it.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.