Phones forum

General discussion

Poll: Should cell phone calls be allowed on planes?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / December 10, 2013 9:22 AM PST
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poll: Should cell phone calls be allowed on planes?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poll: Should cell phone calls be allowed on planes?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by itsdigger / December 10, 2013 9:26 AM PST

as long as the person with the phone is setting next to you and not me while I'm trying to snooze. I paid for my space and have rights too...Digger

Collapse -
No Cell Phones
by bateta / December 10, 2013 1:09 PM PST
In reply to: Sure

Just imagine 100 people talking away oblivious to disturbance the cause when all you want is some peace away from cell.
I think majority feel the same way.

Collapse -
Poll: Should cell phone calls be allowed on planes?
by deltoncbaker / December 11, 2013 7:38 AM PST
In reply to: No Cell Phones

I say no! Have you ever been in a crowded restaurant and could not hear the person next to you? A hundred people with a hundred different conversations. I spent 17 hours in the air when I went to Australia, and the crowd noise and jet noise was incredible. Noise canceling headphones was the only thing that gave me time to rest. If a in flight emergency occurred would the steward or stewardess be able the convey the information you need to save your life? If think there would be those that would refuse to pay attention and keep on blabbing to their phones. I think they would have to re-engineer the cell phone so it would have a Bluetooth voice over ride that could be used to halt phone call and let steward or stewardess convey important information.

Collapse -
calling cards
by intellg / December 22, 2013 7:58 PM PST

ya really every person need to the lowest call rate so today's bring in market a calling cards.calling cards is most use full because calling card is a save our money and also prepaid method of making international call.In cards we can not pay the monthly bills or no detailed statements.
All cards can be used to make local,state and international calls to anywhere in the world.Calling cards have gives the 24 hours a day 7 days a week service provide.

Collapse -
But not in the passenger seats!
by tmule4 / December 10, 2013 10:43 PM PST
In reply to: Sure

Why not let people use their cell in a dedicated area, say just by the toilets, but NEVER in their seat? They would soon get fed up with waiting for space unless their call was life-or-death.

Collapse -
Use in Toilet Area
by glorya / December 11, 2013 3:02 AM PST

So while you are chatting in the toilet area, someone (possibly me) is waiting to the toilet. Bad, bad suggestion.

Collapse -
Is someone talking on the phone really all that different...
by eridink / December 10, 2013 10:11 AM PST

from the two drunk strangers in the seats next to you talking for an entire flight or a baby screaming?

Collapse -
I hate folks in grocery stores blabbing loudly
by wpgwpg / December 10, 2013 10:18 AM PST

I sure don't loud mouth folks sitting close to me for prolonged periods blabbing away. There's already much too much of that in public places.

Collapse -
Yes, but with One simple rule:
by how / December 10, 2013 10:36 AM PST

All use of the cell phone must be silent. (as in texting)
No verbal communication.

Collapse -
Cell phones on airlines
by Gun4hireca / December 10, 2013 11:09 AM PST

I agree ,if a person needs to communicate that bad do it silently so you don't bother people trying to enjoy a little snooze or even talking to your next seat passenger without having to holler over some one talking loudly on a phone.

Collapse -
Texting would be fine.
by MaxwellSmart27536 / December 11, 2013 12:42 AM PST

Nothing wrong with non verbal communication, but if your old enough you will remember when phone calls were made from a private booth. There was a good reason for this, namely not disturbing others.

Collapse -
Phone in plane
by ankh27 / December 10, 2013 10:40 AM PST

You can barely hear the person sitting next to you , so what's the problem? I use noise canceling headphones any,so no problem for me. On long flights, I would love to be able to make a couple calls. Just flew and was able to keep my iPad on at all times. Still had a safe flight!

Collapse -
Ah, the self-centered selfish voice of us all
by dlauber / December 10, 2013 1:12 PM PST
In reply to: Phone in plane

Guess what ankh27, not everybody is as self-centered as you. Most fliers don't curl up with their headphones, noise canceling or not, And given that you are not the President of the United States, I doubt if there is any reason on earth that you need to be in telephone communication while flying.

Unlike riders on a bus or commuter train, once a flier has a seat, she is stuck there no matter how boorish her seatmates may be. I don't expect anybody as self-centered as ahkh27 to really give a darn about anybody sitting near him on a plane, but common decency would dictate that there is simply no need to unleash the self-centered amongst us to make our flights even more miserable by chatting on the phone at any time during a flight.

Collapse -
I agree
by scherran / December 14, 2013 8:14 AM PST

It's bad enough to have someone on a cell phone next to you in other public places, but in a plane, there is no where to go to escape the inconsiderate. Texting ok, talking out loud...not.

Collapse -
Inconsiderate and ignorant
by dorser / December 10, 2013 10:47 PM PST
In reply to: Phone in plane

The use of cell phones in an enclosed space like that of an aircraft is totally inconsiderate of those around. We do not want to listen to you nor try to ignore you and you may well be disturbing an attempt to get some much needed sleep or just some quiet time.

It has not been proven that the use of cell phones on aircraft is either safe or not safe. My belief is that if there was a ban in the first place, there was probably a reason for that ban. Using your device may well have caused those around you to feel anxious and unsafe. That is were you are ignorant. Ignorant of the feelings and rights of others. Grow up and put it away.

Collapse -
by xaos777 / December 10, 2013 10:46 AM PST

It's already bad enough with the idiots talking loud while oblivious to the world at the grocery store and everywhere else. It doesn't need to be allowed in a confined space where we cannot walk away or not hear them doing the same on a plane.

Collapse -
A thousand times NO!
by ackerliz / December 10, 2013 10:55 AM PST

I don't wish to listen to the drunken idiot having an argument with his girlfriend, thank you very much! We can all use a little down time!

Collapse -
talking - no, texting -yes
by sharee100 / December 10, 2013 11:06 AM PST

Texting would be much quieter.

Collapse -
Absolutley NO!
by mmarino77 / December 10, 2013 11:13 AM PST

I travel every week and I do not want people that close to me blabbing away for 2+ hours. I use the time on the airplane to unwind and relax (after a meeting) and quietly prepare (before a meeting) and people blabbing away would just be too much. For the love of God, please no cell phone calls on flights!!!

Collapse -
by Zekeuyasha / December 10, 2013 11:24 AM PST

Calls? Absolutely not. Loud calls complete with "CAN YOU HEAR ME? WHAT?" do not belong in public, let alone on a cramped plane.
Go ahead and ban that, but I think it should just be common courtesy to not be on the phone >.<

What about other modes of transport? Like a bus or a train? When I traveled for over 24 hours via Amtrak, not one person made a loud phone call.

Collapse -
Who's going to be the first
by mjd420nova / December 10, 2013 11:34 AM PST

I struggle with the incredible proliferation of devices that would be allowed to operate in a very tedious environment. The FCC has the same struggle as a mis-calculation can cause a plane to crash.. Testing of the mirade of devices, under optimum conditions does not take into account a damaged device that is not operating within its described specifications. OOPS. This interaction between devices can create all manner interference products that can not be replicated in a testing environment. NO PHONES IN THE AIR.

Collapse -
by Tigertame4 / December 10, 2013 11:50 AM PST

I will be that person saying, "Guess where I am! No, no, on a PLANE!yes really!"

Collapse -
No, no no!
by kaminst / December 10, 2013 11:58 AM PST

It's bad enough to be walking on the street and hearing everyone's conversations, but at least there you can just walk away. On the plane you are trapped, often for many hours. It just isn't necessary for everyone to be connected by voice all the time, unless you are president of the United States. (Somehow, all the Masters of the Universe have survived without it so far.) And the rest of us are entitled to a bit of quiet once in a while. I don't know that a law is needed, but the airlines should certainly continue to forbid it, whether the FAA gives the green light or not.

Collapse -
by njsabin / December 10, 2013 12:07 PM PST

Please, not another indulgence for the ME generation, whose members are clearly identified by their loud mouths and complete imperceptiveness of anyone near them!

Collapse -
by What!now! / December 10, 2013 7:18 PM PST
In reply to: NO!!

I call it the "The RULES don't apply to me" crowd.

Collapse -
Right to screw up your own life
by Spike715 / December 10, 2013 12:10 PM PST

Let's let the airlines set the rules. If you want fly a no-calls-allowed airline, there will probably be that choice. If you want to make phone calls, that choice may also exist. It should be a supply and demand thing. But regardless, respect for others needs to apply. That is to say, everyone should have the right to screw up their own life but not the lives of others. Blatantly obnoxious passengers should not be allowed to mess up others' lives regardless of their offense.

Collapse -
Absolutely NOT
by skikt22 / December 10, 2013 12:25 PM PST

People no longer have any common sense or sense of courtesy. Enough said.

I will stop flying airlines that allow tis.

A million miler.

Collapse -
NO, don't force me to listen to your conversation.
by heymickr / December 10, 2013 12:28 PM PST

Travel is hectic enough without being forced to become an unwilling listener to the meaningless prattle of other peoples telephone conversations. I pay for my ticket. Now let me travel as peacefully as possible. We sometimes forget that, many years ago, people used to spend months crossing the country in covered wagons without once talking to the folks back home. They should be able to handle a few hours on the plane without a phone conversation.

Collapse -
Need a special exit.....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / December 10, 2013 12:50 PM PST

....where obnoxious phone users can be pushed out of the plane in mid-flight.

Collapse -
Cell phones on aircraft.
by ExSp33db1rd / December 10, 2013 3:23 PM PST

NO. no explanation necessary. NO

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.