Laptops forum

General discussion

Poll: On average, how long does your laptop battery last?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / March 20, 2009 7:27 AM PDT

On average, how long does your laptop battery last?

-- Less than 1 hour (Which model laptop and what type of battery?)
-- Between 1 and 2 hours.(Which model laptop and what type of battery?)
-- Between 2 and 3 hours. (Which model laptop and what type of battery?)
-- Between 3 and 4 hours. (Which model laptop and what type of battery?)
-- Between 4 and 5 hours. (Which model laptop and what type of battery?)
-- I don't own a laptop.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poll: On average, how long does your laptop battery last?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poll: On average, how long does your laptop battery last?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Poll: On average, how long does your laptop battery last?
by huizhe2 / March 20, 2009 12:02 PM PDT

I have an Asus Eee PC 1000H (Win XP Home Chinese, 80-GB HDD, 2 GB RAM, Intel Atom 270 CPU; a netbook, not really a laptop) with two batteries. The stock battery -- a 6-cell -- lasts about 3 hours, but the 9-cell 3rd-party upgrade that I bought lasts about 4. Both are Li-ion. I could increase the life of the battery by reducing the brightness of my LCD screen, but that makes viewing the screen too difficult. This is fine for my purposes. I use it only when I'm not at home at my desktop. I often go out to a local coffee shop to get away from my home office, which I practically live in 7 days and nights per week (the price one often has to pay for being a self-employed manuscript editor). I always carry two batteries in my backpack.

Collapse -
about an hour for me.
by psaulm119 / March 20, 2009 12:18 PM PDT

It is about an hour. I have a Dell Inspiron 1501--almost 2 years old. I really don't know what battery it is.

Its not really a problem, because I use it a lot at home; when I travel with it more than 30 minutes I just shut it down. But at home I leave it plugged in 24/7.

When I first bought it, I charged it to 100%, and then drained it to 5% before recharging. I was under the impression that this was better. This is what I was told earlier, but I believe these lithium batteries are the exact opposite--you should keep them charged and not drain them. Perhaps that is why the battery took a turn for the worse, but since I've kept it plugged in 24/7 its stayed at around 1 hour.

Collapse -
about an hour for me
by angelo212 / March 20, 2009 1:28 PM PDT
In reply to: about an hour for me.

From what I just read on c-net your problem is because you keep your computer pluged in 24-7.

Collapse -
Five hours and it only cost me $300
by Crash2100 / March 20, 2009 12:23 PM PDT

A couple weeks ago, I bought a refurbished "Lenovo ThinkPad T42" laptop from eCOST.com for only $289. From my experience so far, the laptop gets around 5 Hours of battery life. The only downside to it that I have found is that the hard drive is a small 40GB, but other than that, it looks like it will be a great laptop.

Collapse -
It gets even better
by efrimann / March 21, 2009 9:18 PM PDT

If you install Notebook Hardware Control and clock down the processor a little bit, you'll get much more battery time. If you mostly use Office and such, it doesn't make any difference.

Collapse -
Battery Life on mine
by smithcomputer / March 20, 2009 12:26 PM PDT

my battery life is about 2 hours on a Compaq Presario F769WM with 2 Gb of RAM and a 150 Gb Hard drive.
I did have an Acer 3502 WLCi that only had about a 30 minute battery life and it was only running 512 Mb of RAM and a 60 Gb hard drive

Collapse -
Toshiba Satellite L305-S5921
by jmarkross / March 20, 2009 12:50 PM PDT

I bought this laptop a few months ago for $449 from Newegg....performs great and I get AT LEAST 3 hours....closer to 4 hours battery time. I DO NOT play games at all, and I set the screen to a lower brightness to save power. Normal computing seems to make all the difference. Just as in price (you get ROYALLY SCREWED to get the best game-performing laptops), if you are a gamer you have to pay A LOT for the capability--though it is not technologically justified--and for everyday "plain folks" computer use you can get all you want for a very good price. Caveat emptor.

Collapse -
Lasts a while
by ESUNintel / March 20, 2009 2:50 PM PDT

It depends which laptop I'm using, and how I use it. My MacBook Air seems to last about 3.5 hours most of the time, while my Vaio P (with the extended battery) lasts about 5.5 hours if I dim the LCD halfway.

Collapse -
Lithium-Ion Batteries

MSI VR610, with Lithium-Ion Battery, lasts 2hrs and 45 minutes before warning

Collapse -
Compaq Presario 1200Z
by sbill / March 20, 2009 7:25 PM PDT

I still use a Compaq Presario 1200Z with the AMD Athlon 1.0 GHz processor. This model came out in 2001. It's now on the third battery, which was purchased in 2008. I get close to 3 hours of continuous use on a charge, which is pretty good by today's standards.

Collapse -
3 to 4 hours
by rkharvey1954 / March 20, 2009 8:37 PM PDT

I have a MacBook and it is close to 2 years old. The battery lasts on average 3.5 hours. If I am playing CD's continuously it only lasts about 1.5 hours. I have never removed it from the computer, but will do so after reading your superb post!

Collapse -
Re: Poll: On average, how long does your laptop battery last
by Scriber434 / March 21, 2009 12:11 AM PDT

Between 1-2 hours, depending on my power settings

Collapse -
Re: Poll
by Scriber434 / March 21, 2009 12:18 AM PDT

I've got an Acer Aspire 5313 w/six cell lithium ion battery. Usually, I connect it to the adapter, especially if I have files to download. Only use my battery for "emergencies."

Collapse -
4-5 hrs
by fwsherl / March 21, 2009 3:24 AM PDT

I have a MSI WIND U100 6cell L-ion. If I am simply browsing, I can get more. I just spent 3 months traveling and took thousands of pictures that I saved and edited on this machine.

Collapse -
On Average My Battery Life....
by jrfoleyjr / March 21, 2009 4:36 AM PDT

I have a HP Pavilion 4560 laptop (XP Home, 40 gig hd) that I purchased new in December 2003. I just replaced the battery due to the original nicad not holding a charge anymore. The new battery (purchased at a local store called Batteries Plus) is a Lithium Ion battery and so far it lasts between 1 and 2 hours. I am happy with my HP because, among other things, it came with a restore disk-set AND an OS disk (unlike Dell).

Collapse -
life of laptop battery
by MadgeBruce / March 21, 2009 4:49 AM PDT

I have a Dell inspiron 1521 and I can not see a complete movie. Battery life is less than two hours

Collapse -
Laptop battery last how long?
by gadget girl / March 21, 2009 5:57 AM PDT

My laptop's battery lasts 4-5 hours depending on programs running.

I have a HP Pavillion dv1000s. It run XP, not VISTA. I use theinternet, e-mail, and sync it to my phone to do work for classes, work, presentations, and home.

Collapse -
How long does you laptop battery last
by Adrian Tobin / March 21, 2009 12:18 PM PDT

Between 2 and 3 hours. Laptop is a Dell Latitude CPx

Collapse -
Fujitsu S6520 running 7
by henrytai72 / March 21, 2009 12:25 PM PDT

I can run around 5hrs~ Turn off Wi-Fi and Bluetooth~
If using Wi-Fi, it will be 4 hrs

But i need more ar~ : )

Collapse -
Not Long
by 1shado1 / March 21, 2009 12:25 PM PDT

Between 2 and 3 hours. Closer to 2 than 3. Toshiba L355D. 4000mAh Li-Ion battery.

Collapse -
Roughly 3 Hours
by Phil411 / March 21, 2009 1:12 PM PDT

I have a HP Compaq nc6220. Gets around 3 hours on a 6-cell Li-ion, with WI-FI, web-browser, email and the usual background apps and services, running on Vista.

Collapse -
Gateway M285-E Convertable Tablet

Bought this a few weeks ago on ebay. Laptop is a few years old and the battery is used, I get about 4 hours. I think a new battery would get about 5 - 6. There is also the option to remove the optical drive and put in a battery pack that fits in the slot.

Collapse -
Laptop battery life
by gregorygass / March 21, 2009 2:08 PM PDT

I have a macbook pro. The battery is about 14 months old and is still lasting over 3 hours and up to 5 depending on what I am doing.

Collapse -
how long does yur laptop battery last?
by leathercladcow / March 21, 2009 4:55 PM PDT

BETWEEN 1-2 HOURS, li-ion battery, even when set on Acer's power-save power plan. I think they recommended draining it eaach time and removing it from the computer when it was fully charged to avoid harm. What gives?

Collapse -
4-5 hours of battery life
by xtina1 / March 22, 2009 11:28 AM PDT

My 13" Mac laptop (newest model) keeps on going strong for at least 4 hours -- often longer. Mostly, I use word documents to write scripts -- but also download quicktimes and use internet a lot. I bought myself a spare battery as a backup (whatever Apple gives you) but have never had to use it yet ......

Collapse -
I have a Sager 5710 i bought
by orlbuckeye / March 22, 2009 11:09 PM PDT

in 05. It has a 8 cell lithium battery and a second battery that replaces the DVD/CD. I get 2.5 hours with setting for maximum performance. Then laptop has a Pentium M 2.0(760) processor. WUXGA 17" (1920 X 1200) resolution. 100 gig HD, 2 GB ram and 128 MB Ati MR X700 discrete graphics card.

Collapse -
Sony vgn-sz330p
by ib_ben / March 23, 2009 4:22 AM PDT

I have had the laptop for 3 years now and still get 4-5 hours out of each charge. I charge it nearly everyday and have had no problems with reduced battery life. I have never had to take out the battery and run on the ac adaptor only. Has worked flawlessly for me.

Collapse -
Compaq Presario V6000
by baggage1 / March 23, 2009 10:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Sony vgn-sz330p

Vista Ultimate in balanced mode about 2.3 hrs. Have a 12 cell li-on and can watch a long movie with everything humming. 4+ in power saver.

Collapse -
Random question
by mukunzabusisa / July 14, 2009 1:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Sony vgn-sz330p

What make is you're laptop?

Collapse -
It
by 1shado1 / July 14, 2009 5:52 PM PDT
In reply to: Random question

Says "Sony vgn-sz330p", in the subject line of his/her post. Wink

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.