PC Applications forum

General discussion

Poll: Is Java installed on your machine?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / April 19, 2013 9:22 AM PDT
Is Java installed on your machine?

-- Yes.
-- No. (Why not?)
-- I don't know.
-- I only install it when it's needed.
-- If something requires Java, I don't bother with it. (What is the reason?)
-- I have no idea what you are talking about.

Submit your vote here:
http://forums.cnet.com/7723-6138_102-591249/poll-is-java-installed-on-your-machine/

Note: This post was edited by its original author to add poll on 04/19/2013 at 4:30 PM PT
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poll: Is Java installed on your machine?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poll: Is Java installed on your machine?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes I have it
by wpgwpg / April 19, 2013 9:35 AM PDT

I'd take it off, but I have a friend who uses it to play an online game that I help. If it weren't for that, I'd have gotten rid of it a while ago.

Collapse -
No need
by larrybio / April 19, 2013 11:00 AM PDT

Since obtaining an iPad 2, I have moved 85% of my internet communications to it, hardly touching my MacBook Pro or PC. I only find problems with programs that require it, but I prefer to avoid the security issues as I am hounded by spam garbage on several accounts.

Collapse -
I've never experianced any problems from Java!
by jpdtking / April 19, 2013 11:26 AM PDT

I do not go into the neither worlds or am I self abusive! have not been virused or hacked & have not experienced any problems at all!

Collapse -
I have Java installed
by dwinget / April 19, 2013 11:42 AM PDT

I have Java Runtime Environment installed on my computers because there are some programs and web sites that require it. If Java was not required, I would take it off right away. Java is becoming a nuisance. It makes my internet connection very slow every day while it prompts me to do an update. It won't let me access web pages until I close the annoying box.

Collapse -
(NT) YES - and no problems. It's there if needed.
by quiggo / April 19, 2013 12:05 PM PDT
Collapse -
Yes, I have JRE installed
by pebarefoot / April 19, 2013 12:07 PM PDT

Though for several weeks while there were big warnings about it. I did disable it till the 2 or 3 updates finally managed to cure the problem. I do get regular PC security updates from several IT newsletters and I pay attention to them. I also run regular malware scans with several top rated tools. In addition to having a good, full time malware suite running. I pay attention and don't go clicking on just any old link. Especially in any email that professes to be from one of my financial sites. Those I always type in the uURL. Then navigate through the site to the correct page. There have been a number of times the purported important message proved to be nonexistent.

Collapse -
java
by tkden / April 19, 2013 12:41 PM PDT

Have resisted all the prompts to download new version. Figure Java is tied in with Microsoft and Windows somehow which is why all the pop ups appear.

Collapse -
This is the worst possible reaction.
by 4Denise / April 19, 2013 2:16 PM PDT
In reply to: java

If you are not going to keep a program updated, then you should remove it from your computer. Java is not tied in with Microsoft or Windows. It is not produced by the same company.

Collapse -
The poll still does not open on my pc. I install Java only w
by Walter Healy / April 19, 2013 12:54 PM PDT

The poll still does not open on my pc. I install Java only when I need it.

Collapse -
Yes, but I do pay attention to security
by 4Denise / April 19, 2013 2:13 PM PDT

I have Java installed because I have a program that needs it. I removed it during the security issue a while back, but put it back on when it was safe again.

If a person keeps up with the security issues and takes proper care of his or her computer, then it shouldn't ever be a problem. If a person does what most people do, and just uses his or her computer without paying attention, expecting it to take care of security and updates all by itself, then I would recommend not having it installed. I would say the same about many programs.

Collapse -
Never had a problem with Java.
by feduchin / April 19, 2013 2:15 PM PDT

I think most of the people who have had problems with Java have refused the updates. Personally I let it do everything it wants and I've never regretted it. My anti-virus software, which also works entirely automatically behind the scenes, handles any problems. Too many people try to fool around with their PC settings, knowing too little about them.
My advice is:
Firstly, use fairly late equipment; it is simply NOT true that your old banger is "just as good as the new stuff".
Secondly, use 'later' operating systems; Windows 7 is great. It's MUCH better than XP, even though XP was pretty good. I know because I used XP quite satisfactorily for four or five years! And if after another, say in six months most people report that Windows 8 is also great, UPGRADE. Sticking with the old stuff only causes compatibility problems with software, your browser, your anti-virus, ad nauseum.
Thirdly, make sure you have good anti-virus software: PAY for it, that's my belief.
Finally, let everything do ALL of it's own stuff without interference: updates, upgrades, the lot! LEAVE IT ALONE.

Collapse -
Not bad, but...
by 4Denise / April 19, 2013 2:25 PM PDT

...just letting the software do its own thing will not keep you protected. I recommend that you check this yourself at least once a week, and do full scans of your computer while you are at it. Get Secunia PSI (download.com has it) and run it once a week to make sure that your legitimate programs really are up to date. If I did not do this, I would have missed some needed updates that were not downloading properly and needed to be run manually. I also would have missed removing Java for that short period of time in which it was dangerous if I did not pay attention to my newsletters and security sites.

Nothing will completely protect you, but spending a few hours a week maintaining your computer properly and a few minutes a day checking for legitimate security concerns will go a long way.

Denise

Collapse -
yes
by joedi1 / April 19, 2013 3:11 PM PDT

yes

Collapse -
JRE Installed
by cnet_pacman / April 19, 2013 9:38 PM PDT

Yes I have it because I need it for some programs. No problems. The bigger issue is the inability of Android 4.1 + to handle adobe flash which causes issues when running thins on the tablet and phone.

Collapse -
Yes I have Java
by BroJohn2 / April 20, 2013 12:13 AM PDT
Blush It is installed on my computer, but I have it disabled in my browsers and have not noticed any problems with it. I subscribe to a Windows Newsletter and one of the authors on that newsletter spelled it out really well. Java is not a safe app, that's why I have disabled it in my browsers. I only keep it active on my computer so I can use OOo which requires it in order to function properly. I am hoping that they will find another way to make OOo work so I can get rid of Java permanently. I have not noticed any problems with web pages.
Collapse -
Made a basic mistake
by johnedwardsbc / April 20, 2013 3:26 AM PDT

While playing on Pogo.com I got a pop up saying I needed to update Java and stupidly clicked OK. What I have done in the past was to close and go to the Java.com site for updates. Now I have problems. I've run my McAfee virus on total scan, deleted and reinstalled Java and still have problems. Java keeps telling me they detedt signed and unsigned signatures. Next plan is to delete Java and hope I don't need it for something important.

Lesson learned is to always go to the software vendors site for updates rather than click on some apps pop up.

Collapse -
Is Java installed on your machine?.....
by mrblueeyes / April 20, 2013 3:41 PM PDT

No, at the moment, Java is not installed on my machine. It used to be, however, when update v7u17 came out, I started having problems with Java. The update would not install. I even deleted all of the Java and reinstalled every update, starting from version 6 and reinstalling each update, one by one from the Java website. Still, when I reached 17....same problem. So, after some advice from CNET, I uninstalled all of it. There are some websites I cannot use because I no longer have Java. Too bad. I told those websites to use Adobe instead. I have no idea why the updates won't install properly...I never had a problem with Java until Java started having problems of their own. I Java wants me back as a customer, they should fix all of their problems and send me the software for free. Only then will I go back to Java. If you don't take care of your customers.....they will go somewhere else and get what they need.

Collapse -
Yes
by Nerosas / April 21, 2013 12:07 AM PDT

The mindmap software I use requires Java to work. I have looked into alternatives but they all seem to be hard to use or it's easy to use but you have to pay for it.

Collapse -
(NT) YES
by GeBoulgaris / May 23, 2013 11:54 PM PDT
Collapse -
Are these warning about JAVA authentic?
by GeBoulgaris / May 28, 2013 6:50 PM PDT

Lately there many warnings about insecure versions of Java. I can't tell where they come from originally. As a result some activities of the browser stop.
I have Java VM and SDK installed for years, ocasionally I upgrade the version. I never had a security issue originating from Java. I believe that this security fever comes from those that sell "Pc security" sofware.
One more problem: Its been years that I am writing java and javascript demonstration programs for educational purposes. Several students cannot run them because of security settings of their browser.
I believe that personal programming is over in the environment of the windows. Thats why many users move to the unix family of operating systems.

Collapse -
I have problem with java and my Banks
by Soren Jensen / August 30, 2013 10:10 PM PDT

they want Java and i do not want USA to look on my connections so I use TOR and then I get the problems.

Collapse -
Re: Java
by Kees_B Forum moderator / August 30, 2013 10:25 PM PDT

I've never seen a bank site (let alone more than one) being dependent on Java. Are you sure you don't mean Javascript.

And since you don't tell what problems you get using TOR, let alone if they are related to that missing Java, no help is possible here. And, by the way, if you're sure it's about Java, why not install it?

Kees

Collapse -
Sorry it is Javascript.
by Soren Jensen / August 31, 2013 3:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Java

Just not possible to use TOR

Collapse -
So now we have ...
by Kees_B Forum moderator / August 31, 2013 6:38 AM PDT

I have a problem with Javascript and my Banks, because I use TOR.

Since the communication between you and your banks is encrypted, it's safe in all respects to connect directly in stead of via TOR. That only makes sense for http-communication, not for https:-communication.
Or use the (iPad or Android) app of your banks, not the website. Those are encrypted also.

Problem solved?

Kees

Collapse -
OK, I'll bite - what's TOR?
by wpgwpg / August 31, 2013 7:15 AM PDT
In reply to: So now we have ...

I looked in Wikipedia for a definition of TOR and didn't see anything computer or bank related, so I have to ask, what is it?
Also why do you say httpS isn't safe? I thought any time you saw https, that meant the dialog was encrypted. Are you saying that's NOT the case?

Collapse -
it's a secure browser
by itsdigger / August 31, 2013 7:24 AM PDT

A free software implementation of second-generation onion routing, a system enabling its users to communicate anonymously on the Internet . Google TOR

Collapse -
OK, but why would I need TOR?
by wpgwpg / August 31, 2013 12:47 PM PDT
In reply to: it's a secure browser

If my normal connection via Firefox or IE is encrypted, why would one need TOR? If I were paranoid maybe, if I were doing something illegal maybe, if I were a top secret spy of some sort, maybe. But my name and address are already in the phone book, so why do I care if somebody figures out where I live? Outside of the above reasons, why would a normal law abiding citizen need this?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.