Tablets forum

General discussion

Poll: Is a tablet /e-reader something on your holiday shopping list?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / November 27, 2013 7:37 AM PST
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poll: Is a tablet /e-reader something on your holiday shopping list?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poll: Is a tablet /e-reader something on your holiday shopping list?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No tablets for our family, and we have two Kindles
by jdonalds / November 28, 2013 5:00 PM PST

At our house we just don't see the value in tablets. We have several computers, two are touch screen convertibles that can be used in tablet mode. We all feel a tablet without an attached keyboard just isn't in the cards for us.

We've had two Kindle readers for a couple of years and don't need another.

Collapse -
Not this year (so far)
by Bob_Meyer / November 29, 2013 12:21 AM PST

No tablets or e-readers under the tree this year. We stocked up around Mother's day when the Nook HD+ went on sale, so we're sort of overrun with 'em. But that could change if there's a compelling sale between now and Christmas. The Cnet Cheapskate's Surface RT deal almost tempted me, but no.

Collapse -
I don't have holidays.
by Hartiq / November 30, 2013 5:03 AM PST

When I was working, I didn't have holidays because I was too poor. Now I'm retired, I don't have holidays because I'm "on holiday" all day, every day.
If by "holiday shopping list" you mean "Christmas shopping list" - but you don't want to upset anyone by actually mentioning the banned "C"-word, then it is still no. I don't do Christmas. I used to enjoy the traditions of Christmas with my wife. She made it a gentle, fun, warm cave in the middle of Winter. All sparkly and happy and soft.
Without her, there isn't any real point to it.
Never having been a Christian, I don't celebrate the birth and having no friends I don't much do parties. Nor do I have anyone close to buy things for.
It's typical, I'm a fairly rich retiree with all the time in the world to make Christmases special and no one to make them special *for*.
As the French would say, that's life, innit?
To everyone else, have a lovely Christmas, a smashing holiday and a truly wonderful New Year.

And, no, I won't be buying a new machine just to keep the economy healthy. I have enough computers to last me forever and I enjoy playing with the ones I have.

Collapse -
Bad form, I know.
by Hartiq / November 30, 2013 5:19 AM PST
In reply to: I don't have holidays.

It's usually considered bad form to reply to your own posting, but I just thought of something *I* found interesting.
Considering the influence on the high-technology market CNet readers may have, if any, does anyone think the analysts can deep data-mine our postings for predictive purposes? Effectively? There have been years of these comment pages and years of market data; has anyone ever tried correlating them and extrapolating?
It's probably not a *very* useful tool, and were it to be we'd probably ruin it by being all bolshie and deliberately pretending to be anti- whatever we're really very much pro- [the "keep them ignorant of Psychohistory" condition] and there are of course many thousands of other trends in the vast and complex global economy to feed into our models but ...
Sorry, it was just an idle thought.

... and, of course, now I've mentioned it, the data are worthless anyway.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.