TVs & Home Theaters

General discussion

Poll: In your opinion, do you think HD DVD has a chance?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / January 29, 2008 2:02 PM PST

The big blow to the HD DVD camp was Warner Bros. annoucement to go Blu-ray format exclusively. This leaves HD DVD with 2 studios--Paramount and Universal on their side. Now with this news at hand.

In your opinion, do you think HD DVD has a chance of surviving?

Yes. (Please tell us why.)
No. (Please tell us why.)
Maybe. (Please explain.)
I really don't give a crap! (Please explain.)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poll: In your opinion, do you think HD DVD has a chance?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poll: In your opinion, do you think HD DVD has a chance?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No.
by bevillan / January 29, 2008 10:38 PM PST

HD-DVD is already playing their final hand in slashing prices on their Toshiba players and that really is a last ditch effort on their part. I own the HD-DVD add-on for the Xbox 360 so I don't really feel bad about HD-DVD going away, I just hope Blu-ray players can get down to the $200 magic number spot by next Christmas.

Now if Toshiba or Microsoft cuts another $100 million dollar check to a few studios to get them to support their format then maybe things will change but I highly doubt that will happen.

Collapse -
Yes, I think they have a chance
by fishing dude / January 30, 2008 11:24 AM PST
In reply to: No.

With today's economy, I think there's a good chance of HD surviving. Mentioned is hoping the price of Blu-Ray will go down. True but HD already has. HD seems to fits today's budget. Blu-Ray hasn't budged. Eventually I'm sure like all technology prices will go down. Nice if you have both.

Collapse -
I AGREE. THE ANSWER IS NO!!!
by Riverledge / February 3, 2008 5:47 AM PST
In reply to: No.

RIVER.

Collapse -
NO!!
by Iamhoosier / January 29, 2008 11:21 PM PST

Even if Bose "bought" HD-dvd, their marketing could not save it.

Collapse -
I really don't give a crap!
by ahtoi / January 29, 2008 11:25 PM PST

because I got my upconverted dvd player and the dvds are getting CHEAPER!

Collapse -
Agree a million percent
by lbeberdick / January 30, 2008 6:42 AM PST

I am perfetly happy with an upconverting DVD player on my high def TV. Until the price comes down to under 100 dollars, i am not buying a high def DVD player of any format. and will not buy HIGH DEF movies in any format until they are around the price of current 480I wide screen DVDs.

Collapse -
I agree 100%. Standard DVD is ALL you need!
by sbill / January 30, 2008 8:52 AM PST

I am totally happy with my standard DVD player, even with a new HDTV. It's not even an "upconverting" model, and in fact I didn't even buy the pricier "component video" cable, like the manufacturer recommends. It's hooked up with the standard 3 RCA cables (Audio-L, Audio-R, Video), and the picture and sound are excellend.

I see absolutely no benefit to a new format--other than of course to the movie studios who get to sell us the same titles that we already own in the new format, and jack up the prices for new releases. Remember when VHS was out, and a new movie typically sold for $15+$20, then when DVD came out, new releases sold for $20-$25? And of course with HD-DVD and Blu-Ray, new releases are around $30. But it's not just the new releases that are more--even old titles that frequently go on sale for $5-$10 on DVD still cost $20 or more on a High Definition format? What a racket!

Collapse -
I also agree Standard is all you need
by arebart / January 30, 2008 10:34 AM PST

Yes i own a VHS/ Dvd player and it does the thing i bought it for. it plays the movies for methat's all i need , i don't really need to see the bldes of grass the sharpness because i'm just interested in the movie . If my player breaks i'll go buy another standard one and not pay big bucks forHD. I don't have a Hd Tv but got a 42" rear projection Tv. which shows a good picture. yes it's just like the old Beta and Vhs wars, and now it's DVD. what happens next year when they find a new format to show it on. then your stuck with the HD.

Collapse -
No, they'll die
by Ed-duh-win / January 30, 2008 3:27 PM PST

But who really cares? DVD is great.

Collapse -
HD DVD will still be here in July
by chrpyl / January 31, 2008 1:14 AM PST

>>sbill:
"I am totally happy with my standard DVD player, even with a new HDTV. It's not even an "upconverting" model, and in fact I didn't even buy the pricier "component video" cable, like the manufacturer recommends. It's hooked up with the standard 3 RCA cables (Audio-L, Audio-R, Video), and the picture and sound are excellend."

What matters is that you are happy. Given your configuration, you are definitely not realising the potential of your hdtv - but really that is your choice. I too own an hdtv, have for the past 3 & 1/2 years, so I have an older 1080i crt. I've been happy with my sd dvd hooked up by component cable. After purchasing a Toshiba laptop on black friday with an HD DVD rom, however, I decided that I may have to reconsider. I recently bought the HD DVD A3 for $149 and got 9 free HD DVD's with it. Phenominal! The other really surprising thing, however, was how much better my regular sd dvd's looked on it: more vibrant colors, brighter picture, sharper lines and details I had never seen before. If nothing else, the HD DVD A3 is an incredible upconverter (when connected by an hdmi cable - I use a $15 generic brand - works fine). I've had friends buy upconverters before and I thought they were overated, but with the A3, even my wife was impressed (and that is saying something!).

The A3 is really the only HD player I was going to consider for two reasons: it puts out a 1080i signal - and price. And those are the two reasons I hope HD DVD is able to last.

Will HD DVD make it to July? Sure. Will they be there in July '09? To me that is the bigger question. I sure hope so. I won't be buying a 1080p player for my tv though... whether it is bluray or anything else. If HD DVD does fail, at least I've got one of the best upconverting players around and I'll be able to use it for years to make my sd dvd's look great.

Collapse -
You're kidding right...
by dgden / January 31, 2008 3:08 AM PST

To me your opinion sounds completely oddball...You have an HDTV but are satisfied with a standard DVD player hooked up through composite cable eow...

I have a 52 XBR4 and my upconverting DVD player (Philips) that cost me $60, upconverts to 1080P and plays DivX is way, way better than my previous non-upconverting one...

You say it makes no difference only because you haven't tried the upconverting one, or youre HDTV is either too small and/or you sit to far away from it to appriciate the HD picture anyway.

Just to stay on topic, HD DVD, in my opinion doesn't stand a chance, but I will not get a BlueRay until the prices go all the way to the standard players/DVDs. The upconversion is good enough...

On the other hand if Netflix switches to a full BlueRay inventory, I might take the plunge...:)

Collapse -
Yeah dude
by bevillan / January 31, 2008 3:34 AM PST

It hurts to think about watching a DVD on my HDTV via a RCA cable for video. If anything you need an upconverting DVD player with a HDMI output to really make your DVDs look good on a HDTV.

Collapse -
hijack (a dusty one)
by bernardyssimo / April 28, 2009 8:43 AM PDT

to dgden, are you the dgden who posted on mzon forum about the mx860 ?
I got questions but I can't post there (damn!!!) mzon.com does not want me to, 'cause mzon.com and mzon.mycountry are not interconnected (it knows me but considered I've never bought... stupid)
or if someone knows a way to bypass this
hope dgden you have an email alert when replies, but I doubt... Sad
thanks

Collapse -
No room for 3 formats
by samkh / January 30, 2008 1:19 AM PST

Only way for HD DVD to win is to displace plain ol' DVD by becoming as cheap in players and movies and becoming the standard optical device in PCs.

Collapse -
Yes
by DocCasualty / January 30, 2008 1:34 AM PST

People keep referring to this as a war. Loss of a battle does not equal loss of a war. HD DVD is available now less expensively to the consumer and is a complete format. There is no difference in PQ between the two formats and the advantages of BD over HD DVD are much more theoretical than practical.

HD DVD definitely has taken a hit here from WB but I don't see it as the coup de gras. Now if the BD boys come out tomorrow with a $98 standalone player, we've got a different discussion here.

Collapse -
I don't get these arguments regarding players
by Rollbar / January 30, 2008 2:53 AM PST
In reply to: Yes

I only marginally noticed the price of players; HD-DVD or Blu-ray. For me, it was all about which movies were in what format. Unfortunately I discovered that my favorites were split between the two formats. So I bought both players. At the time Warner was still HD-DVD.

Now, I don?t think any Board of Directors is going to approve the necessary capital investment in HD-DVD to give it a boost and will likely see such proposals as good money after bad.

Sorry, HD camp. I did my part; I bought an HD-DVD player to sit beside my PS3. I have HD-DVDs and will be watching them. I may buy more if I see titles not in BD or if there is an HD-DVD fire sale. Happy

Gary

Collapse -
do you think HD DVD has a chance?
by magicdonkey / January 30, 2008 6:42 AM PST

Don't really care I got a PS3 with blu-ray
and that works for me

Collapse -
I hope HD DVD dies a fast death..
by ZoltanGZ / January 31, 2008 2:17 AM PST

...unlike VHS did vs. Betamax, and CD vs. SACD or DVD audio! It's about time that people wise up about BETTER QUALITY, rather than just mediocre continuation of some pre-existing format stretched to a higher lever by greedy manufacturers. These manufacturers who throw out an abundance of MEDIA along with half baked technological improvements of the equipment that is able to play this media, know WELL IN ADVANCE, that the newer, better technology is already in the works,albeit at higher cost, and when all the 'guinea pig' customers gobble up the cheaper, more abundant lesser formats, the manufacturers come down with the boom, and lo and behold present the better, more advanced and FAR higher quality media and equipment, making the earlier buyers' investments worth .. well as much as cow manure!

Collapse -
No
by Dashkatt / January 30, 2008 6:43 AM PST

All's fair in Love & War and HD/BlueRay DVD players. Both company's knew better than to pull this crap, especially SONY. Of course Sony appears to be the winner, but are they? With the HD going bye-bye, the pressure will be exerted on Sony to get more boxes in the living room. At today's Blue Ray price, even now, I wouldn't waste my time even looking at one. My price point is $100 bucks. Any more than that they can keep it.

As for HD-DVD bargains... Don't wait too long, the manufacturers weren't that stupid to produce millions of these things knowing they could become the next big paperweight. The inventory will go away much sooner than the price drops to the absolute bottom.

Serves them both right for mucking up things with 2 different formats.

An angry Beta-Max owner... Forgive yes, forget, hell no. Happy

Collapse -
HD-DVD Won't Survive!
by palavering / January 30, 2008 6:46 AM PST

Content is everything. And Toshiba's format has only two major studios backing it. If you don't think content is what really matters for media gadgets, just ask MS about its Zune player. MS is trying to attract more content for the Zune player because it will never compete with Sony, otherwise.

Collapse -
I dont think it will
by gamer73 / January 30, 2008 6:53 AM PST
In reply to: HD-DVD Won't Survive!

I think we are stepping into the blu ray soon but like the old dvd players I didnt and still will not upgrade to a blu ray player till they are 100 or less dollars I like my new parts for computers but I dont see the whole advantage to blu ray since the burners are also way over priced.

Collapse -
Notice of the death of HD-DVD is somewhat exagerated!
by mustangbaz / January 31, 2008 1:04 AM PST
In reply to: HD-DVD Won't Survive!

We have to remember that whilst most of the big players are on their third generation machines, only HD-DVD players fully meet the specs regarding PIP, interactive content, HD audio formats etc. For goodness sake, the latest top-of-the-line Sony does not even meet BD 1.1 (let alone 2.0)and does not even have networking, so how's a buyer to access interactive content? The price drop for Tosh machines may yet cause a turnaround, so don't gloat yet you BluRay fanboys.

Collapse -
people always seem to follow
by kscson / January 30, 2008 6:47 AM PST

I say no...HD is gone because that's what's being pumped into their brains. I'd say pretty much what people are programed into thinking...they follow!!

Collapse -
Remember Betamax
by nevido / January 30, 2008 6:47 AM PST

HD DVD may last with the installed base just as Betamax did for a while, but manufacturers will stop producing them once it's clear there's a winner. Movies only out on HD DVD will switch formats when those studios see their market is larger on the other side.

Collapse -
NO
by Dabonka1 / January 30, 2008 6:47 AM PST

HD DVD is in its "death throlls". Their basically trying the only remaining option{s} they have left... which is mainly lowering the price as far down as possible to try to gain some additional market share. And I'm not bashing... this is the way the market turned... and it is what it is... and too bad cause their technology is not bad at all. Unfortunately, with roughly 70% of the movies now camped out on BD. Its all over but the shouting. HD DVD may actually still be around for a long time {years possibly}.... But, this is like comparing goole.com {+70% market share} to all the other search engines. Sure some people like ask.com but in reality... there is not much compelling reason to use anything other than google. Same way ...there's really not a compelling reason for someone to buy HD DVD now. When 7 out of the next 10 movies being released will be on BD. Who knows... maybe they can get some kind of anti-trust case going LOL ...become the next AMD {vs Intel +70% market-share}.

Collapse -
HD DVD can have regular DVD in the same disc
by jcboyer / January 30, 2008 6:50 AM PST

If were a retailer, I would choose a format that minimizes the additional SKUs. HD can have BOTH regular DVD on one side and HD on the other. If Paramount decides to issue all new DVD as HD at the same price point, the war is over... The retailers will stock 1 sku and will start to ask BR BIG money to provide with adequate shelf space. That will bring BR to its knees as a) the DVD will cost more, and b) the players will be way over priced compared to HD.

From a consumer standpoint the issue is simple: If I buy a dvd today, can I get a better picture tomorrow for FREE. If the answer is yes, I will choose that option.

Some people, at CNET and other places, believe that content will make or break the BR vs HD. Possible. But the game is still young and we have seen many reversals of technology... the one that comes to mind is Sony's Betamax. It did NOT matter what content Betatmax had or did not have, when the Blockbusters of this world stopped renting it... it was doomed. Netflix still rent HD.

Some feel that the war is not to be as we will download VC1 video streams and bypass BR/HD. Possible. We have that same discussion with printed books vs electronic version of the same. Both will coexist for some time.

Then there is Microsoft, the fact that HD connects to the Internet, the strenght of HD players in internal memory and upscaling older DVD, especially for 'better' players.

I was disappointed to see how CNET reacted to Warner's posturing. It is ignoring that Toshiba, Paramount and Microsoft are very significant players in the DVD arena. For example the Microsoft content is nothing to sneeze about as it sells millions of DVDs a day (Software, for sure, but still DVDs)

The battle with Warner may be lost, but the war is not over. We need to see how the silent players react.

Jerome Boyer

Collapse -
I just bought a HD-DVD player in my new laptop, and now this
by pblanton / January 30, 2008 7:00 AM PST

I just bought a new HP dv9700t laptop (hasn't been delivered yet) and they are currenty offering the HD-DVD upgrade for $75.

HD-DVD ROM with SuperMulti DVD+/-R/RW Double Layer!! -- $75

While Blue Ray costs $275

Blu-Ray ROM with SuperMulti DVD+/-R/RW Double Layer -- $275

So I went with the HD-DVD option. Heck, for $75 I couldn't resist. The PC comes with a discrete video card and HDMI port so I can connect it straight to my 42" LCD TV and watch HD! (or surf the web, or write a letter...)

Anyway, I expected the battle would be over as soon as I took a side, and it would not be in my favor.

Collapse -
Yes, why not?...
by FCBarca / January 30, 2008 6:51 AM PST

There are a few issues at work that suggest the format not only surviving but even thriving, IMHO.

One, upconverting regular DVDs...The requirement that consumers will have to have at minimum 2 DVD players (Both standard and BluRay) already make it a less appealing option...And if you're going to be forced to have 2, why not have one that is HD-DVD that will upconvert your regular DVD anyway?

Two, price still prohibitive to go BluRay.

Third and my biggest 'issue' with BluRay has been the proprietary nature of Sony and their media...Consumers are being forced to (Limited choices as more and more band up with BluRay and the studios) to adopt multiple formats rather than a player that can play everything.

I have my Planet Earth and a few other HD-DVDs and I have no plans to sign up with BluRay in the near or longterm future...Why should I?

Collapse -
The Blu-Ray / HD-DVD format war is a lose-lose scenario
by samjemb / January 30, 2008 6:52 AM PST

It is nothing more than hubris and greed that has held back the widespread adoption of a standard HD disc format. Both factions should have worked together long ago to agree on a unified format. Had they done so, HD players would have already been in just about every home entertainment system, and we could all be enjoying the benefits of HD movies.

Instead, sales of HD players and HD media have been lackluster at best, and no one is benefiting from the dual standard. As much as I love High Definition movies and TV (and I really do love it!), I have refused to embrace either Blu-Ray or HD-DVD until one format wins the war, or an entirely new format supplants both of them (which I think would be a very fitting scenario!).

David

Collapse -
I agree! IBM tried to work a compromise; finally quit!
by Cadillac84 / January 30, 2008 7:11 AM PST

And I would bet the leader of the IBM team would love to say they quit in disgust! Both sides refused to admit the benefit of a standardized specification --- well, that's not true. Each thought a standardized spec would be great --- as long as it was theirs!!

And I agree with you it would be fitting if somebody ELSE came up with a new technology (Black-Ray! LOL) that supplanted both and that neither side of this childishness was ever able to recoup its investment.

We'll have to stay tuned, won't we!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.