Desktops forum

General discussion

Poll: How old is your current main computer?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / October 17, 2008 4:17 AM PDT

How old is your current main computer?

- It's brand-spanking-new (What do you have?)
- Less than a year old (What do you have?)
- 1 year (What do you have?)
- 2 years (What do you have?)
- 3 years (What do you have?)
- 4 years (What do you have?)
- 5 years (What do you have?)
- 6 or more years (What do you have?)
- It's so old I'm embarrassed to say (What do you have?)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poll: How old is your current main computer?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poll: How old is your current main computer?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
5 year old home built
by Steven Haninger / October 17, 2008 7:51 AM PDT

Still runs fine for what I do....which isn't much of anything worthwhile.

Collapse -
Out with the old, in with the new
by Silvertop / October 17, 2008 1:42 PM PDT

Last May I decided to build a new system. I have been an AMD man for many years but with the Intel duo E8400 coming out I switched. So now I have an Intel Core2 DUO E8400 dual running at 3.0 GHZ with 2 gigs of PC2-8500 dual channel Ram. The motherboard is a Gigabyte P35-DS3L. I kept my old 500gig SATA2 Seagate and my Antec case, LG DVD drive and 650W power supply. I also kept my Nvida Gforce 7300 512M video card. What a difference between my old overclocked AMD X2 4800 running at 2.6 GHZ and the new Intel. I hate to admit it but I was wrong all these years about AMD being the best. Intel rules. Oh well we learn by doing.

Collapse -
Welcome to the Dark Side
by nerv2010 / October 17, 2008 11:28 PM PDT

We love AMD converts. Ah, ha, ha! Nice rig you built though, better yet that you scavenged parts from the old box.

Collapse -
Spanking new
by nerv2010 / October 17, 2008 1:43 PM PDT

HP xw6400 workstation. Going to work with my older custom 3 yr old box.

Collapse -
Stats on boxes
by nerv2010 / October 17, 2008 11:18 PM PDT
In reply to: Spanking new

Old box:
P 3.0, 2G RAM, 2x WD raptors, ATI vid, XP Pro, Office Pro

New box:
dual quad core Xeon 2.0, 4G RAM, 2x WD raptor, 1x 160G HD, Quadro NVS 285, XP Pro, Office Pro.

First thing to go in the new box will be the video. Should upgrade to a Quadro FX.

Collapse -
Poll: How old is your current main computer?
by bskoros / October 17, 2008 1:49 PM PDT

About Six months ago my P4, 3 gig mobo went south for the second time, so I decided it was time for a new system. Went with a Core 2 quad, 2.4 gig, 4 gig ram, Vista Business, duel Nvida 8800 GT's (SLI) with duel Acer 22" widescreen LCD's. Originally I went with a Creative Audigy card but recently switched to a Razor instead.

Love it!

Bill

Collapse -
Laptop
by beinghappysucks / October 17, 2008 1:49 PM PDT

I'm a college kid. This is the laptop I got from my boarding school 2 years ago. Can't really afford to replace it and it runs Ubuntu fine. I would want to switch more if I gamed, but I do not.

Collapse -
just turned 2
by kaptainzero / October 17, 2008 1:52 PM PDT

I bought mine off uBid.com refurbished and got a bigger power supply and a new graphics card. The whole thing cost me about $800 and can play any of today's games on max settings perfectly (except Crysis, that's not fair). Does everything with zero problems, I installed Vista Ultimate with no slowdown. I completely reformat it every 2 months or so to keep it running fast.

Collapse -
Reformat!?
by mwooge / October 17, 2008 3:30 PM PDT
In reply to: just turned 2

You reformat every two months? How much do you have in your HD? I should think if you have much of anything you'd lose stuff that didn't re-load properly.

Collapse -
smart move on the reformett
by psharer4062 / October 18, 2008 12:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Reformat!?

If you set it up right yu will loose nothing, I do the same thing but I have an extra dfew drives that I store all of my important data on like photos, word documents etc. So when I reload all I have to do is reload the OS and the drivers.

Collapse -
Why reformat so often?
by Rickanne / October 17, 2008 10:39 PM PDT
In reply to: just turned 2

Seriously, why? Conventional hard drives only get so many good reformats. They are like CD/DVD-RW. You only get to erase it a certain number of times before its no good. Have you ever tried using something like CCleaner? Or how Disk Cleanup and Disk Defrag? I know reformatting keeps the thing fast, but every time you have to reload all your games, programs, and other apps (unless you have complete hard drive backup images). Now I use CCleaner and Revo Uninstaller. These clean out all the junk and remove any unused programs at my discretion without leftover registry entries. Keeps my Vista x64 PC running as quickly as the day I built it. I run Intel Core2Duo E7200 at 2.53 GHz, 4 gigs of DDR2 at 667 MHz, GeForce graphics card, and a 250 GB SATA II hard drive. Ultimately, what you do is your choice, but the above programs/suggestions may make your computing life a little easier.

Collapse -
totally agree
by bush4rat8kizzy / October 19, 2008 8:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Why reformat so often?

have been using to clean up a Vigor laptop bought used and had lots of cleanup, using Ccleaner, Defraggler from same co. and Revo is the killer cleaner without doing anything else this laptop now works 100% and I'm sure I could still offload a whole lot more without having to reformat. Try it you'll like it...

Collapse -
One fairly new; three older
by websquad / October 17, 2008 2:01 PM PDT

Main machine is Win XP/Pro SP3 I had built in Feb'08: Indel Core 2 Quad 6600, eVGA nFource 780i MB, 2x2GB PC-6400 RAM, nVidia GeForce video with 512MB, SLI capable, pair of WD Raptor X's in RAID-1 for sys/programs; pair of WD Caviar 500GB in RAID-1 for data, Cooler Master case + PS; Floppy; modem, DVD. Have a ~7 year old HP laptop ... adequate because I require so little of it. Also an old Compaq driven by Linux/Ubuntu and a Mac PowerPC G4 with OS-X 10.4. Do web development on the XP/Pro machine, use the others to check web compatibility and to play with. New machine can be overclocked and the socket will take several CPU upgrades. Waiting for Windows 7 to spring for 64-bit computing. As is, am pleased with configurations.

Collapse -
- 6 or more years -IBM Thinkpad A20p
by electricseashell / October 17, 2008 2:03 PM PDT

IBM Thinkpad A20p not enough RAM and keys are worn but it still runs.. Happy

I traveled around the US with it for two years and then coffee shop visits for 3 more. I bought it when it was at least a year old and refurbished. It had to have the hard drive replaced while under warranty but really hasn't given me too much trouble until I tried to run Windows XP.

Collapse -
My newest computer is about 15 months old.
by Ron Geiken / October 17, 2008 2:08 PM PDT

The computer was built by a custom house in new york, and has a Q6600 quad processor, 4 gig of ram and 3 internal hard drives. I had windows Vista installed and Microsoft Office Small Business. I have also added tons of other things too. I use Pinnacle Studio 10 on it, and it is really a pleasure to do video editing with a quad processor and 4 gig of ram. It works smooth as silk. I also have Nero 8 installed too. I use Firefox 3 with Thunderbird 2. Also have Adobe Reader, Irfanview, Picasa 3, Hypersnap 6 which is a windows capture program, also i tunes and quick time. I have three other browser including IE7 which I never use. I use Zone Alarm and AVG 8 both free programs for security. There are also several other support type programs installed. Best computer that I have ever owned. Spared no expense to have what I wanted. I also have Memeo as a back up program for my 750 Western Digital Free Agent drive. I also have a nice array of Vista gadget programs sitting on the right side of my 24" wide screen Samsung Monitor.

Collapse -
Age of computer
by CactusPrick / October 17, 2008 2:16 PM PDT

My primary computer is less than a year old - a Dell XPS210. Secondary computer is also less than a year old - a Dell Latitude D830 laptop. Purchased both because I wanted to get a new desktop and new laptop with Windows XP while it was still available and avoid changing to Vista.

Collapse -
SIX YEAR OLD DESK TOPS
by LEO O FORTUGALEZA / October 17, 2008 2:31 PM PDT

I am not ashamed to say I have three six year old desktops with Windows XP as OS.

After tweaking similarly aged PCs owned by friends & neighbors, I learned that it is a matter of optimizing one's PC that he gets the best out of it. Even six-year old PCs can come to life like new if the proper tweaks, software & hardware, are made. A friend of mine had a Windows Vista but because he knew little found himself complaining his PC is slow. When I did the usual tweaking I do, I found out he could not achieve the speeds that his PC had because he did not take good care of it.

Some of the software I have tried that worked includes ATF Cleaner, CCleaner, nCleaner and Tune Up Utilities.

Collapse -
4 yo Home built
by jannij / October 17, 2008 2:54 PM PDT

The ol' gal keeps chugging along, though it's become time to build a new one:

Custom modded Antec SX1040 Case
Antec 550watt Power Supply
Abit NF7-S v2 NVidia NF-2 Ultra-400 Motherboard
AMD Athlon-XP 3200 - 400FSB CPU
Scythe Kantana Heatsink/Fan
2 x 1 GBs Corsair XMS PC3500 CAS2 RAM
ATI Radeon X800 XT 512mb AGP
On board NVidia Sound Storm
On board NVidia 10/100 NIC
High Point Rocket Raid 454
2 WD 160GB HDDs in RAID 0
1 WD 500GB HDD in a Removable HDD Frame
Asus DVD_E616A3 DVD-ROM
Lite-On LH-20A1H Lite Scribe DVD-R/RW Drive Super Multi Drive
Combo Floppy/Memory Card Drive
WinTV-PVR PCI-350 TV Tuner/Recorder FM Radio Card

Running Win-98SE2ME, Windows XP-Pro, and FreeSpire Linux in a tri-boot setup.

Collapse -
It's about 3 months old
by santuccie / October 17, 2008 2:58 PM PDT

The computer I use most of the time (and the one I am using right now) is a Gateway laptop that I got in July for $400 off the regular price. It has a Core 2 Duo T5600, and 3 GB of PC2-5300 DDR2, running Vista Home Premium. I hated Vista until I got this unit. The fact that it came with Service Pack 1 helped (I still refuse to touch 64-bit Vista), as does this machine's power.

I have two other computers of my own, one of which came with Vista Home Premium, and the other with Home Basic. Both of them are now running XP Pro, because I couldn't stand the performance and instability. Even downloading SP1 fixed nothing; it doesn't seem to do any good unless it comes pre-installed. One is 2 years old, and the other about 1 year old.

Collapse -
How old is your current main computer
by foxygrandma / October 17, 2008 3:01 PM PDT

About 3-1/2 years old. It is a Dell Dimension 4700 and always problems ever since I have had it.

Collapse -
home
by CODAMAN12 / October 17, 2008 3:41 PM PDT

built amd athlon 2400+, 768 mb pc2100, 200 gb total hd and a vision tek radeon oc 1300xge 512 mb graphics card. sony 4x dvd r/rw. win xp and is about 6 years old.

wife has a compaq 4000 series. Celeron 1300, 512 mb ram, win xp 40 gb hard drive w/cd/rw. It has a 128 mb ati graphics card. once you get past the 5 min. boot up, it runs well and never has had a problem. about 7 years old.

Collapse -
4 years - Sony Vaio VGC-RA710G
by anime4christ / October 17, 2008 3:44 PM PDT

I think I need to upgrade to a new PC, but it's still running fine and I don't have enough money to upgrade at the moment.

I replaced the DVD-ROM and repaired the DVD burner.
Replaced the hard drive after it started failing.
And Upgraded the RAM to 2GB (max).

Other than that, it's been running fine and is fully compatibe with:
Windows XP and Vista
Linux (any distro I threw at it)
and Mac OS X Leopard (small hacker experiment that lasted a few weeks)

Collapse -
2 months old!
by jlrowe / October 17, 2008 3:55 PM PDT

3 months ago decided to see what i could assemble for under 400. so after about month of comparing prices, specs and looking for free shipping on parts from newegg and computergeeks.com heres what came up with for 394.00.
600 watt power supply
Biostar am740g m2+ motherboard with onboard nvidia graphics
Amd Phenom 8450 2.1 triple core
4gig of OCZ platinum
Seagate 320gig sata HD
LG DVD sata Burner secure disk
and Leadtek tv2000 expert pci tv tuner/video capture card
Saved money on case because had emachines black and silver micro atx laying around.
Not bad for under 400. Definitely better than off the shelf system for same price.

Collapse -
How old is old?
by mainspark / October 17, 2008 4:12 PM PDT

My present machine is four years old and does everything I want it to do. I would maybe up-date my machine but amd not completely sure that "Vista" is for me.

Maybe someone out there could convince me otherwise and let me know the obvious advantages of doing so?

Collapse -
Under 6 Months
by ellis feigenbaum / October 17, 2008 6:53 PM PDT

I decided with the advent of walking talking grandchildren, I needed something I could do video editing on as well as work so I built a relative monster.
Started with am intel DX38BT Motherboard, combined that with 4g of DDR3 Memoryand q6600 cpu added a pair of ATI 3800`s in Crossfire, added a pvr 3000 video/tv card and 2 300g HDD`S and dual dvd drives with a memory card reader, all in Chakra case. Put the whole thing together with 2 Asus pw19 Monitors(The most sexy looking monitors in my opinion ever) and just for good measure and good looks a DiNovo Edge Keyboard and an MX revolution Mouse.
The black beauty runs on vista ultimate sp1, and I have never had any problems with it.I would also imagine that unless it gets stolen this machine will see me well through the next windows os, with the possible exception of upgrading the cpu to a q900 series.

Collapse -
My notebook is 6 months old
by melvynlaycock / October 17, 2008 7:05 PM PDT

I have an Acer dual core notebook with 2GB RAM running Vista Home premimum. I am very happy with this machine.

Collapse -
Less than a year
by Flirkann / October 17, 2008 7:09 PM PDT

It's a Toshiba Satellite A200-S01 acquired in January - 2.2GHz C2D, 2GB DDR2-667, 2x160GB drives, HD-ROM/DL burner, a/b/g Wifi, 512MB HD-2600 mobile video chipset, and thoroughly exorcised of Vista - XP SP3 with help from DriverPacks.net and nLite.

Battery life is...rather pitiful when compared to the iBook I refurbished - granted the iBook used no more than 45W at full power, the C2D CPU uses that much power itself - but I got it because of it's gaming ability.

Collapse -
What computer do you have?
by Jim Manchester / October 17, 2008 7:40 PM PDT

A week ago I bought a used desktop Dell from a dealer for

Collapse -
6-year-old Dell
by PatrickRsGhost / October 17, 2008 7:41 PM PDT

Go ahead and laugh. I have a six-year-old Dell Dimension 2300 with an Intel Celeron 1.8 GHz processor and Windows XP. I still have a 3.5" floppy drive (do they still make those? Do people even *use* them anymore?), but I haven't used it in ages. The only upgrades I've made to it are adding 1 GB RAM to the memory, and an external DVD-RW drive. The thing still chugs along pretty well, but I'm thinking of upgrading very soon, once finances to do so become more available.

Collapse -
Chugging is better than none
by nerv2010 / October 17, 2008 11:25 PM PDT
In reply to: 6-year-old Dell

Hey, don't laugh, it works for you. I still have an old 3.5 on my 3 year old box and I still use it occasionally. Mostly to wipe old 3.5's. USB makes it too easy now.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.