Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Poll: How often do you delete cookies, temporary Internet files, and browsing history?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / February 10, 2012 6:24 AM PST

How often do you delete cookies, temporary Internet files, and browsing history?

-- Every time I close my browser.
-- Every day.
-- Once a week.
-- Once a month.
-- Couple of times a year.
-- Whenever I feel my system needs a cleaning.
-- Never.
-- I don't have a clue as to what you are talking about.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poll: How often do you delete cookies, temporary Internet files, and browsing history?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poll: How often do you delete cookies, temporary Internet files, and browsing history?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It depends....

NIS is a little bit of a cookie monster, and it gets rid of them all the time, even the ones I want to save, like Google search preferences. Malwarebytes and Super Antispyware don't get run but once or twice a week, and each of them does the same thing. I run CCCleaner also, more than once a day sometimes, if browsing gets slow, but I don't do it until I'm sure that there's no cache I want to browse. It amazes me how much trash CCCleaner gets rid of; I don't limit browser cache intentionally, so CCCleaner finds a gig and a half or more sometimes. Just an hour ago, it cleaned 984 mb of stuff, mostly browser stuff. I am not a patient person in some ways, and if browsing gets too slow, I get concerned that something is going on without my knowledge, so I'll run the cleaner, try other browsers, or even switch user accounts, just to see. If I'm concerned, I'll go to 2wire's speedtest site,, to see if my speed is okay. If I suspect any funny business at all, I immediately flip the wireless button on my laptop to "off." If I think I might have just hit a website with something malicious on it, I've been known to immediately hit the power off button (I know, I know, don't do that, but I don't care: I've got a selection of images to go back to if anything bad happens), since that's faster than turning the wireless off.

Collapse -
I don't bother to clean any cookies, temp files and histories, cus I regulary format system HDD and reinstall Windows. Believe me, all 3rd party cleaning software don't realy get rid your of your system's problem, especially when get virus and hacked.
When I feel system not so smoothly as it was just installed OS, I clean install Windows. Just take you no more than 1 hr plus 3hrs Windows Update, and you got 1 totally new PC just like you first bought it.
You can verify it. You will laugh at what you did to rescue your system before.
Collapse -
Isn't that a little too drastic?
by Sunsetlover / February 12, 2012 9:49 AM PST
In reply to: Never.

I agree that a clean install of Windows is the best solution IF the system is hacked or infected. I've seen people struggling for days trying to remove a virus, when a HD format and clean install would have taken half a day. Not sure how you do it in a couple of hours, just to load all the programs and documents would take a few hours, let's say if you have 30-40 GB of photos.

Collapse -
Every time
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 11, 2012 4:35 AM PST

Every time I close the browser.

But that's only Internet History and browsing history.

I clean out cookies once a week using CCleaner and that allows me to keep the important ones, like CNET! Happy

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.