PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Poll: How much RAM does your computer have?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / October 30, 2009 7:04 AM PDT

How much RAM does your computer have?

128MB or less (Which operating system and CPU?)
256MB (Which operating system and CPU?)
512MB (Which operating system and CPU?)
1GB (Which operating system and CPU?)
2GB (Which operating system and CPU?)
3GB (Which operating system and CPU?)
4GB (Which operating system and CPU?)
5GB (Which operating system and CPU?)
6GB or more (Which operating system and CPU?)
I don't know

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poll: How much RAM does your computer have?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poll: How much RAM does your computer have?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I have...
by Spockva / October 30, 2009 9:59 AM PDT

I have 1.5G ram in my desktop running windows XP pro.

Collapse -
how much ram is good
by beyondtoday / October 31, 2009 9:11 AM PDT
In reply to: I have...

While I have not been one for boasting I will say I have 6gb of ram the reason for this is I have been building a multi purpose system with home theather features and blu-ray I have the i7 cpu on a EX58-UD5 gigabyte mainboard and a palit GTS250 1gb hdmi card without the amount of ram currently installed I would not be able to surf the net while running a blu-ray movie via the benq MP730 projector I am supporting I have also played games online while watching movies done bloging on yearbook and other things to answer your question the amount of ram you need depends on what you are using your computer for
on a personal note I am also running windows7 which I have found carries true dobly and excellent graphics in windows media although it don't play back blu-ray yet for that I use powerDVD I hope this helps you deciede more clearly with your own computer needs.

Collapse -
by l3it3r / October 30, 2009 10:00 AM PDT

I have 4GB of RAM in my new Sony Vaio.

it's the intel core 2 duo T6600 running under windows 7 home-premium right now, will be getting ultimate next week.

Collapse -
How much
by mwooge / October 30, 2009 10:12 AM PDT

4 gigs installed but it only uses 3. Windows XP on an HP Pavillion.

Collapse -
The more RAM the better
by mikedgolf40505 / October 30, 2009 10:14 AM PDT

I am Mac user, so there maybe some differences. But I have always been told that conventional wisdom is to purchase the maximum amount or RAM at the time of your computer purchase. This will help to keep you computer relevant longer. I have 4G of RAM on my MacBook Pro, running Snow Leopard. I would have bought it with 8G if it had been available at the time; unfortunately I bought a 2.93 Core2Duo right before they switched to the 2.8 model which will support 8G and mine will not. I have also found that upgrading to the 7200RPM hard drive is a cheap and very effective way to add speed to you system. Just for disclosure, I am a Mac user; but not a Windows hater or Mac fan boy. I think WIndows offer a great deal of value for the money.

Collapse -
This is Mac issue too
by busybody / January 8, 2010 8:41 PM PST

Mac's use the same technology of PC. The same Intel chip-set and CPU so the memory issue is also relevant to mac's.
Also even before Apple moved to Intel and PC platform, Motorola hardware used the same principles as PC platform.

Collapse -
Poll:How much RAMdoes your computer have?
by tomcatdraco / October 30, 2009 10:24 AM PDT

I have 4GB with XP/VISTA and AMD dual core 64 2.93ghz

Collapse -
by ram5619 / October 30, 2009 10:27 AM PDT

6 Gig of DDR3 Intel Core i7 (920) Windows 7

Collapse -
Me too!
by jimichan / October 31, 2009 1:13 AM PDT
In reply to: RAM

Home built and loving it!

Collapse -
by rbsjrx / October 30, 2009 10:28 AM PDT

...on both my primary Windows and Linux PCs. It's a little tight for WinXP but fine for Linux Mint. I have two other Linux PCs which have 512MB and run just fine.

Collapse -
by gemma_one / October 30, 2009 10:28 AM PDT

I have a quad 4 with 3 GB, running partitions of Vista and Win 7. I also have a Dell 8300 P4, 3.2 with 2 GB running Win 7 and a Sony 2.0 laptop running XP with 2 GB.

Collapse -
by jean harrington / October 30, 2009 10:32 AM PDT

I don't know b/c of KVM switch.I recently had one built for me.The newer box, I haven't got around to actually using.I try to update it, but it maybe missing something or other.Just keeping AV running and update all my programs on 2 boxes consumes a lot of energy,plus anxiety.I'm homebound, so if I don't have the computers.....
I don't thing AV is the thing I worry about most.XSS security holes,
I spend most of my time worrying about.

Collapse -
rama lama *********
by larryhoffman / October 30, 2009 10:44 AM PDT

This is an excerpt from a song fron the 50's however it is appropro' today. have an amd sempron processor 3200+ @ 1.8 Ghz with 3.43 gb of ram.

When I use the computer lately and use the task manager the cpu usage is at 100% for the longest time. Is this a shortage of ram issue or something else?

Larry Hoffman

Collapse -
lost everything to my computer crashing
by proulxp / November 19, 2009 1:37 AM PST
In reply to: rama lama ding dong

I have the acer 3200 sempron amd and it is a 2 gh processor but it only has 256 ram and I forgot that I would need to up that and ended up losing everything including all the pictures I had of my grandchildren and great grandchildren so I have learned my lesson that the minute when the computer starts telling you you are low in memory don't take chances to see how far it will go before it stops telling you and crashes just get more ram immediately. I am a senior so it is hard for me to afford to get more ram when I need to but it is cheaper to close the computer down until I can afford to. If your computer isn't telling you that you are low in memory you are safe but get more ram immediately if the computer tells you that you are low. I was lucky that the computer guy where I took my computer was able to find my stuff for me and he put in a lot more ram so I don't have a problem any more with it. That is all I can say about ram as I am just an old bag and never used a computer before I retired and am still learning. Hope this helps you though

Collapse -
by bmd1020 / October 30, 2009 10:44 AM PDT

I'm running Windows 7 (upgrade from Vista) with 4GB.

Collapse -
PC hardware: Poll: How much RAM does your computer have?
by Brechan / October 30, 2009 10:51 AM PDT
In reply to: 4GB

I currently have an ASUS M3A79 Deluxe mobo,Phenom 9950 BE CPU, and 8 GB of RAM...only because I'm a gamer. Happy

Collapse -
1.5GB on multiboot Toshiba notebook
by rdunn / October 30, 2009 10:46 AM PDT

I have 1.5GB on multiboot Toshiba notebook.

XP, Vista, Win7... everything runs very well, really... but I'm not doing AutoCAD or other big apps... just home use/gaming. Small video editing is fine. The game Crysis isn't... too slow even at low res ...but I could run it enough to see what it was about.

Unfortunately, the M55-S3291 notebook has the Intel 910/915 Express graphics/chipset... and Intel won't/can't provide WDM drivers that Vista/Win 7 needs for it's Aero desktop... although it seems they temporarily had a working driver during the Vista beta, then Microsoft forced the Windows 'experience' certification issue when Vista went to retail, and so no WDM. Everything but that runs fine in 1.5GB... Win7 better than Vista, as seems to usually be the case.

Collapse -
by axyosh / October 30, 2009 10:50 AM PDT

I have 3GB of RAM with a Core2Quad Q8200 @ 2.33Ghz with WinXP.
I also have a Toshina Satellite L305D-SP6983R with 3GB of RAM with a AMD Turion x2 64 @2.2Ghz with Windows Vista Home Premium and in a few days with Windows 7 Professional.

Collapse -
How much RAM
by john3347 / October 30, 2009 11:00 AM PDT

I have 1 GB installed on my older XP machines and 2GB installed on a couple of newer ones. I have a trial Windows 7 machine with 2 GB RAM. I have a really older machine with Windows 2000 with 256 MB, but it needs a bit more.

Collapse -
by adriansanchez / October 30, 2009 1:16 PM PDT
In reply to: How much RAM

I have 1 GB on my iMac Intel core 2 duo (2Ghz). I have a MACOSX 10.4.11

Collapse -
(NT) 3Gb., Q9450, Windows 7 home premium
by Doh_1 / October 30, 2009 11:02 AM PDT
Collapse -
by devo2u / October 30, 2009 11:03 AM PDT

Running 4gb of ram of which only 3.25gb is utilized by Win XP professional. CPU is a AMD Athlon 64 3800+. Upgrading to Win 7 Home Premium 64bit once it arrives.

Collapse -
I have...
by josephhand / October 30, 2009 11:19 AM PDT

8GB of RAM, running a Dell Precision M6400 with Windows 7 64bit. Love it.

Collapse -
what do you do with that?
by d_adams / October 30, 2009 12:23 PM PDT
In reply to: I have...

Do you actually use/need all 8GBs of memory? I mean, that's a LOT!

Collapse -
by oliverrp / October 30, 2009 11:22 AM PDT

3GB running WinXP with Q6600 cpu. It would be 4 GB, but discovered that 4 gb slowed down the system.

Collapse -
(NT) Q9400 8GB 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
by ccolekey / October 30, 2009 11:26 AM PDT
Collapse -
e8500 dual core & 4gb ram
by dave7072 / October 30, 2009 11:53 AM PDT

My latest box is running: e8500 dual core & 4gb ram, xp.pro sp3 512mb 9800gt video.

Collapse -
More than 6GB RAM
by maldelus / October 30, 2009 11:57 AM PDT

Vista x64 OS from Dell. Studio 540 system with 8GB RAM and Blu-Ray Drive. Have not experienced difficulties with this system since purchase earlier this year. Debating Windows 7 upgrade with myself and the need to do so at this time.

Collapse -
by d_adams / October 30, 2009 12:20 PM PDT

4GBs 1066MHz in 2.53GHz MacBook Pro 13. Awesome computer!
I also have 2GBs 1066MHz in my 2.53GHz Core 2 Duo custom Vista desktop, 3GBs 667MHz memory in my old 1.73GHz Dell Inspiron 1501, and 3GBs of 800MHz memory in a new Compaq laptop.

Collapse -
Poll: How much RAM does your computer have?
by netsiu / October 30, 2009 12:36 PM PDT

2GB Windows 2000 pro. AMD 939 3800

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.