Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Poll: How much e-mail spam in a day do you get?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / October 5, 2007 6:34 AM PDT

How much e-mail spam in a day do you get in your in-box?

Nada, Zilch, none! (Wow! Share your secret to success with us.)
1-10 (Not bad! How do you keep it this low?)
11-50 (How do you deal with them?)
51-100 (How do you deal with them?)
101-300 (How do you deal with them?)
300+ (Are you handing out your e-mail address on the street?)
Too many to count! (Maybe time to start over?)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poll: How much e-mail spam in a day do you get?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poll: How much e-mail spam in a day do you get?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Depends on the e-mail account...
by John.Wilkinson / October 5, 2007 7:49 AM PDT

On a few of my primate business accounts I <b>never</b> receive spam, while on my public e-mail addresses it's not unusual to receive 300+ spam messages a day. None of it reaches my inbox, though...gotta love them spam filters! Happy

John

Collapse -
I agree with John,
by PudgyOne / October 5, 2007 10:28 AM PDT

it depends on the email account

My old joke email account = 73

My new joke email account = 1

My very private account = 0

The email account that was on a website to take care of it = 13, no longer on the website.

Yahoo = too many to count. I used the date to count the gmail accounts listed above, with Yahoo, they let anything come in, even with the wrong date, the year is 2038, imagine that.

Yahoo.com has gotten worse with allowing Spam through.

Rick

Collapse -
Yahoo spam
by meredit / October 6, 2007 3:03 PM PDT
In reply to: I agree with John,

Hi John,
I totally agree Yahoo. It came with my SBC DSL account several years ago and they told me that changing my address would screw up my service. I use it only for junk and contests and switched to Google. What I don't understand is how a reputable organization (can't remember who) in an article about the best e-mail providers stated that Yahoo did well with spam- what a lie! A combination of g-mail and Outlook with Qurb has kept it manageable.

Meredith

Collapse -
You are right. See the post I made a few minutes ago,below.
by Prandy / October 8, 2007 5:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Yahoo spam

AOL stops everything in its tracks. Almost nothing ever even goes into the spam folder - and when it does, it is something AOL does not recognize rather than spam.

Yahoo can't seem to stop the floodgates.

Collapse -
Spam
by wclark5 / October 5, 2007 12:32 PM PDT

Most Spam for my primary address is caught by my ISP's filter (Cox)Almost 100% of what does get though is caught by CA Anti-Spam. Also, I have a Hotmail account with the junk mail filter set at highest level and that stops practically all spam.

Collapse -
1-10 spam emails
by mwooge / October 5, 2007 3:01 PM PDT
In reply to: Spam

I also have Cox, and only get a few spam emails a day. An important plus: it doesn't block emsild from legitimate senders, which some blockers do.

I've had this address for years, so it's probably on a lot of lists.

Most interesting spammer was, apparently, me. A spammer was using my email address to advertise an, er, "enlarger".

Collapse -
Spam blocking program
by shan1944 / October 5, 2007 12:36 PM PDT

I used to get a bunch of spam, but after using a neat little program called Mailwasher, I get very little. Mailwasher not only checks the mail before it ever gets to my inbox, it bounces it right back to the spammer, making it appear that the address is invalid. There is a free version and a paid version with more extensive tools.

Collapse -
the very act of bouncing spam
by jonah jones / October 5, 2007 10:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Spam blocking program

lets the spammer know that "someone may be at home"

one of the worst "side-effects" (IMO) of mailwasher is the 'bounce' as it serves no purpose what-so-ever and just adds to the 'crap' clogging up the internet

jonah

Collapse -
The "bouncing" must be set up properly
by davises / October 8, 2007 5:31 PM PDT

You are correct..if you bounce mail directly from your account..they will know there may be someone there.

You have to set Mailwasher up to bounce the mail back through your ISP so it appears to originate from your ISP. It gives both options. Then, when the bounce bounces back because it was a spoofed address, you must delete the bounce and not bounce it back, just as your ISP would.

Collapse -
Spam Spam Spam and Spam
by jaytmoon / October 5, 2007 12:39 PM PDT

I olny get a few a week now that i do not reply to or open anything from whom i don't know

Collapse -
good filters!
by piercedtiger / October 5, 2007 12:47 PM PDT

My gmail account gets lots of spam now, but very rarely does one actually make to my inbox! Like maybe once a month I have to redirect one to the spam folder. My company email hasn't had a single one since we switched to Appriver from Verisign (now Microsoft, go figure) for our spam filtering service. I also get email sent to a generic "support@..." email so that would be an easy target.

My hotmail account on the other hand... *rolls eyes* THAT one needs to be set to "exclusive" (only people in my address list allowed) as it lets spam through like water through a sieve. Way to go Microsoft! You've given me 5gig so I don't have to delete spam to have room in my inbox for legitimate emails, but too little too late. I've moved on.

Collapse -
Filtering SPAM email
by jfontainhas / October 5, 2007 12:53 PM PDT

I receive 4500 Spam mails per month.
I have had my address forwarded to my Gmail account and rely on the Gmail Spam filter.
After a couple of months of learning the Gmail Spam filter now operates flawlessly. The efficiency is super.
Now I hardly find, per day, one or two Spam mails in the Inbox folder.
Before deleting the Spam mail from the Spam folder I make a quick review to recover the very few good emails which are caught by the filter and I move them to the Inbox folder.
It works better that any other commercial program I have ever tried. And it is free...

Collapse -
How much spam?
by Eve24 / October 5, 2007 1:10 PM PDT

Zilch! "Earthlink Spamblocker Baby!"

Collapse -
earthlink-spam blocker.
by rester / October 5, 2007 10:40 PM PDT
In reply to: How much spam?

works great for me also.my netzero address has a leak in the dam,poor blocker,my peoplepc gets none??? to bad we could'nt reverse 10 spam emails to ever one we get.

Collapse -
zilch spam
by B123456H / October 5, 2007 1:13 PM PDT

I'm with at&t for my e-mail and I don't get any spam. My secret lies in at&t itself and forwarding all spam to spam@uce.gov
it is a government site that tracks and shuts down spammers.

Yahoo is a different story. I get about 20 pieces of spam a day. Everything i try doesn't work.

Go with either gmail, at&t, bellsouth, comcast, or aol

all of those are good at keeping spam away

Collapse -
Mediacom filters 95 % of the spam
by lakephillip / October 5, 2007 1:13 PM PDT

My ISP Medicom filters 95% of the junk mail, by setting my e-mail options/account settings from their site. I have never lost an important e-mail.

Collapse -
One Word "G-Mail"!
by STGallag / October 5, 2007 1:34 PM PDT

I have successfully blocked all spam after a few weeks of g-mail training. Now I receive about one spam mailing every 6-8 months in my spam folder. I wish we could do this with our home addresses! Happy

Collapse -
Please tell me how!!!!!!
by Kutusov / October 6, 2007 4:06 AM PDT
In reply to: One Word "G-Mail"!

How did you do that?! Since I moved to gmail, I started receiving from 20 to 50 spam email a day! They all go to the spam folder but as sometimes a real email is dumped there (a book publisher newsletter in particular) I have to go through the all of them...

I sure would appreciate your help.... cheers!

Collapse -
Virtually none!
by rkzander / October 5, 2007 1:59 PM PDT

I get a lot of spam from my web site, but after installing Mailwasher Pro, very little actually gets into my Outlook Express inbox. The only time spam gets into my inbox is when it is received between the time I "wash" my email with MailWasher Pro, and when my Outlook Express receives the "washed" email. But that is not very often. Mailwasher Pro checks the mail before it ever gets to my inbox, bounces it right back to the spammer, making it appear that the address is invalid, and reports it to the database to be included in their spam list. MailWasher Pro is a paid version with more extensive tools that the free version which is MailWasher. It is worth trying the Free version to see if you like using it. The paid version offers better spam filtering. But the Free version isn't a bad choice either. It is better than suffering through all of that awful spam! I have been using MailWasher Pro for many years and really like it. I have recently installed it on my husband's new laptop. He is getting "ZERO" spam in his inbox.

Collapse -
Mailwasher
by dlsears / October 5, 2007 1:59 PM PDT

It varies with the email account -- I use about 7 or 8 -- but for the four provided by my local ISPs (not web-based), I use Mailwasher to preview the From, To, and Subject fields. Mailwasher 6.0 does a terrific job of labeling spam. I delete all spam from the server, so none ever gets to my PC's inboxes.

Collapse -
No spam here
by iron_mule / October 5, 2007 2:12 PM PDT

I rarely get any spam in my main email account (outlook express), because I NEVER use that email address online. My web based email account is gmail, which does a pretty good job of filtering spam. In the last week I've only had one SPAM message make it to that inbox, while over 700 went into the Spam folder automatically. Use discretion when handing out your main email and the SPAM will stay away.

Collapse -
i get none zero
by chandan.piku / October 5, 2007 2:21 PM PDT

i get none beacause i dont give my email out to people

Collapse -
I receive 1-10 a day ...
by TE7 / October 5, 2007 3:28 PM PDT

I use MSN which has an option to report spam to MSN servers and decreases spam substantially. I used to get 20-30 per day, but once my "filter" was trained, I get very little (average 5 a day). I have had some readers on the forum blast MSN, but it has an excellent browser and download manager, which I enjoy since I'm a free download junkie (from reputable sites only, like CNET). By the way, CNET is my favorite site for downloads and news, as well as product reviews. Happy computing, all.

Collapse -
Almost none after installing Mailwasher
by davises / October 5, 2007 3:29 PM PDT

I funnel 4 email accounts into Thunderbird. I blocked my ISP's accounts because even the private secondary account (one not used to log in) started getting blasted with 100% spam without using it.

I used to get about 50 to 70 spam per day.from my paid accounts, but after initiating Mailwasher's "bounce" feature telling the spam sites my email addresses don't exist, that has dropped to about 20/day, of which 1 may slip through to one of my Thunderbird inboxes every other day or so.

Collapse -
Spam
by Ogee101 / October 5, 2007 4:37 PM PDT

My ISP only let my contacts come through. And I use the New Norton
to block any pop-up. Used to be a HUGE problem. However I do use an OLD Hotmail that can get some junk, but not much with the same contact restrictions. My other mail with Bellsouth lets NO junk come through unless I have them listed in my address book. -----------------------------------Thanks-----------Ogee101

Collapse -
On average, much less than 1 spam per day
by sandutzzz / October 5, 2007 5:01 PM PDT

Ok, I used to receive like 10 per day, in my Yahoo!mail. They almost always went to the spam folder. But I have changed a few settings in the options of Yahoo!, namely set up the spam folder to delete messages immediately as they come, so that I never get to see any unread message in my spam folder. I feel so good about it actually:). It's only once in about 2-3 weeks that a spam message breaks into my inbox, telling about fulminating investment opportunities, you know that story with the stock X costing now 0.5 $ and the two day projected price is 4.0 $. I don't know why the filters fail to block those too; nevertheless yahoo! filters are doing a faaar better job than gmail's, where I have got an account, which I visit about twice a week, and which has ALWAYS at least 300 spam messages waiting to be deleted.
So the solution for me - a good email provider and a bit of spam filter tweaking.

Collapse -
different accounts
by death.drop / October 5, 2007 5:51 PM PDT

I have 3 different email accounts,

A GMail account that i just use to give out on application forms for jobs or for university or banking stuff. this gets none because it's only given to secure places

A hotmail that i use for msn and websites that i trust so that i get their newsletters, this one did get loads of spam from certain people so i just blocked the senders, now i get none

a yahoo, i use this one for anything i have to give my email to that i don't really want to. it gets tonnes of spam and i only log in every six months just to keep it going.

Collapse -
Many spams in one day
by Chajden / October 5, 2007 6:33 PM PDT

Every single day, i got 150 - 250 spammails in my primary adress, but luckly i have installed a spamfilter that takes them all. all I have to do, is, to look if a mail who isn?t a spam got there. The name of my spamfilter is Norton AntiSpam. Under the installation, it lays in my Outlook folder, and catch them all.

Collapse -
spam
by vitasx / October 5, 2007 6:33 PM PDT

i have four email's two of them are more than eight years old one of them is lost to spam because it is small so it is filled in a day and it is no longer usable second has filter i get 1-3 a day also i have 5000mb box i use it as a backup so very few people now of it and i get 0 spam and i have gmail it filters spam quite well but time to time it filters good emails usualy look through names because it is easy to separate non spam email it good that spam is separated here because i get 50-60 in a day

Collapse -
Email spam
by CathyW24 / October 5, 2007 7:49 PM PDT

At home - none at all gets to my inbox as I use MailWasher Pro which is brilliant at filtering the rubbish and deleting it before it ever gets as far as my inbox.

At work we have a major problem - as many as 1200 a day! ISP evidently filters absolutely nothing. Spam filter catches quite a lot but we still end up manually deleting too much. We will be changing our ISP and web hosts shortly and also installing MailWasher on my recommendation.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.