Spyware, Viruses, & Security

General discussion

Poll: How many security apps are you currently running?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / September 3, 2010 9:07 AM PDT

How many security applications are you currently running on your system?

-- One (What is it?)
-- Two (What are they?)
-- Three (What are they?)
-- Four (What are they?)
-- Five to six (What are they?)
-- Seven to eight (What are they? And why so many?)
-- Nine + (What are they? And why so many?)
-- None at all, I live on the edge! (Please don't e-mail others.)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poll: How many security apps are you currently running?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poll: How many security apps are you currently running?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
how many security apps
by Pat Wurdeman / September 3, 2010 10:40 AM PDT

Windows firewall
Spybot
Avira

Collapse -
Norton and Common Sense
by john55440 / September 4, 2010 2:19 AM PDT
In reply to: how many security apps

I've been using Norton for many years, and have never had a successful virus/worm/trojan attack against any of my systems.

Regardless of the security software used, there is no substitute for common sense.

And a good browser has additional security features, Protected Mode and SmartScreen Filter, in the case of IE8.

Collapse -
Norton's back!
by jimichan / September 5, 2010 1:36 AM PDT

I used Norton for many years, but when I purchased an HP 5 or 6 years ago, it gave me fits! It was a resource hog, didn't work very well, tech support was the worst, and I had a devil of a time getting it off my system. I switched to ZoneAlarm and was very pleased. Eventually, I became disenchanted with ZA and all the crap they sold me (Yeah, I know, I bought it).
Recently, I was enticed to return by a free offer from my ISP. I'm in love again! Norton is light on resources, has great features, and just works.

Collapse -
Four - Just Pick the Right Ones!
by Sugie / September 3, 2010 10:45 AM PDT

Avast Home Edition
SUPERAntiSpyware
Malwarebytes
Windows Firewall

Windows XP Pro SP3. One virus in 10 years - Avast let me know with all the bells and whistles BEFORE it was able to invade my computer.

Collapse -
Security Applications that are operating on my computer
by Ron Geiken / September 3, 2010 10:50 AM PDT

I run AVG Free and Comodo. I guess the Vista application from Microsoft also runs at times, and that is called Windows Defender. I said one just thinking of AVG Free, but guess the other ones count too.

Collapse -
how many security apps are you using?
by susanai / September 3, 2010 10:54 AM PDT

I am using 3 -

IObit Security
Malwarebytes (paid for version)
Microsoft Essentials

Collapse -
One
by mightybrick / September 3, 2010 10:56 AM PDT

Linux with ClamAV behind a router with hardware firewall.

Collapse -
One - Norton
by dsttexas / September 3, 2010 10:56 AM PDT

Norton Internet Security since early 2000's - and never once had a virus, Trojan horse, firewall breech, or visit to a phishing web site. It does it all, well integrated, works quietly behind the scenes, and never had any conflicts or issues.

Collapse -
Kaspersky
by deacon blue--2008 / September 3, 2010 11:15 AM PDT

Kaspersky Internet Security 2010.

I'm really happy about it, keeps my comp safe without slowing the performance.
I must say, the update is a bit annoying though.

Collapse -
3 security apps for me
by dwj123 / September 3, 2010 11:18 AM PDT

I have teenagers that use Facebook and play games online and don't always think about what they are doing. Each of these 3 programs has caught something that the other ones missed, including emails that slipped through Postini (my ISP's online server filter). I just have to wonder what else they have missed.

Symantec Endpoint
ZoneAlarm
Malwarebytes

Collapse -
Security apps
by Michaeleen / September 3, 2010 11:40 AM PDT

I use four: Symantec Endpoint, SUPERAntiSpyware, Spybot, Antimalwarebytes,and Windows Firewall.

Collapse -
(NT) Just Avira and Malwarebytes, that's it.
by Doh_1 / September 3, 2010 11:44 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re:How many security apps are you currently running?
by Andy.H / September 9, 2010 1:21 PM PDT

I am using 2

Kaspersky Internet Security 2010.
Network Intrusion Detection System (IDS) - Sax2

Collapse -
5, I think
by GolferJL / September 3, 2010 11:49 AM PDT

Let's see...
AVG 9.0
Spybot
Threatfire Free
Sunbelt Firewall
WOT from FireFox

Collapse -
security apps
by warlock6 / September 3, 2010 12:24 PM PDT

Zone alarm (free)
AVG antivirus (free)
Spybot
Ad-Aware (free)
all behind a router hardware firewall

Collapse -
-- Four (What are they?)
by btljooz / September 3, 2010 12:30 PM PDT
Always Active:
*Avast AV
*Malwarebytes Anti-malware
*Comodo Firewall

Not Active:
*Spybot Search & Destroy (not the TT)...just use SS&D for backup and extra cleaning
*CCleaner for Primary cleaning of files/tracks/other gunk

XP SP2; Two infestations in 9 years of STAYING behind a wired router with built-in firewall.

All scanning programs are kept updated as their updates become available. Scans are run nightly with CCleaner, SS&D, and MBAM. Avast scan is ran weekly. All scans are run immediately upon suspicion of possible infestation scare followed up with F-Secure On-line Scanner. Then on board scans are run again.

So far, other than that one time that Avast missed part of an infestation, Avast has totally saved my computer on several occasions when I managed to land on a page that had been hacked redirecting me to an infested site. After Avast helped me deal with what was there the F-Secure scan found nothing.

First used AVG until it allowed the first really bad infestation requiring an OS re-install losing all data before it. Avast alerted me to the second and kept all but a couple of files at bay. Cleaned easily with F-Secure Online Scanner.

First of all, I do NOT run as Computer Administrator. I use best practices while 'surfing' the Net. I do NOT use my computer for ANY personal info....EVER!...that means no on-line shopping, banking or other business-type transactions. These are all still done the 'old fashioned' way. I do not keep any personal info on my computer at all! ...Not even to put it on removable media. I do NOT use MySpace, Facebook, etc. I do NOT use an on board e-mail program. I do NOT even open spam, no less its attachments! Comodo is set to block other non-essential Windows programs - like Windows Messenger, Outlook and Outlook Express, etc. I've turned off certain "Services". Sheilds UP! ( https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 ) tells me that my computer is locked down tight and better than a lot of Windoze systems out there. I only download programs. They are downloaded from their own websites only and only after researching them thoroughly. They are installed manually only after scanning them with Avast, MBAM and SS&D. There is no downloading of music, movies and/or other such non-sense. All this keeps exposure to 'nasties' at the barest minimum.

There you go. That is most of what I do and don't do in order to protect myself and my computer. Cool I think that is just as important - if not more so - than which progs one uses to as 'protection'. Wink
Collapse -
Excellent Post!
by Sugie / September 4, 2010 12:13 AM PDT

Agree: What you don't do on your computer is even more important than the apps one uses for protection. I fall down in this area, as probably most of us do. Great suggestions, btijooz!

Collapse -
Thank you for your reply, Sugie
by btljooz / September 4, 2010 2:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Excellent Post!
Blush However, I failed to include one of the many, many important 'don'ts'. That is do NOT use Internet Explorer for a browser.

Blush I also failed to name in my list that I use Firefox with Better Privacy, Flagfox, HTTPS-Everywhere, NoScript, Secure Login, and WOT Add-ons installed. FF is my fourth app.

If you want to include all of the Add-ons as separate Apps, then, I run 10 Security Apps on my computer.
Collapse -
Browser security
by dwj123 / September 4, 2010 2:48 AM PDT

Silly me... I forgot to mention browser security too, I guess I take it for granted. Happy

I use Firefox (instead of Internet Exploder) with BetterPrivacy and NoScript add-ons, and a hardware router (no wireless) with strong password protection. I also never (well almost never) log in to more than one site at a time that requires a password, even if they are sites I trust.

Collapse -
Logging into Multiple sites
by btljooz / September 4, 2010 4:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Browser security
Collapse -
KeyScrambler
by dwj123 / September 4, 2010 5:08 AM PDT

Thanks, I'll check it out!

Collapse -
Your are quite welcome, dwj123 (N/T)
by btljooz / September 4, 2010 5:40 AM PDT
In reply to: KeyScrambler

No Text

Collapse -
All I really need
by Elljl / September 3, 2010 12:45 PM PDT

I am running three security programs on my computer. I also am running some other programs that aren't really security, but are security based. These are:

Security: Windows 7 firewall /w advanced controls,
Secunia Personal Software Inspector,
and BitDefender AntiVirus 2010.

Non: Windows 7 backup,
Areca Backup,
Apple Software Update,
Router firewall (used a lot, sometimes up to around 75+ per week until external IP changes).

But most of all, in addition to these and redirect blocker and adblock plus, I just use common sense. I don't open spam, and only go to trusted websites. I do a deep system scan every week, and check for program updates almost every day, and soon I will be using GNU/Linux (Ubuntu) so even better! Oh, and according to a password dictionary attack strength checker, my passwords would be cracked in about 14 nonillion years. Good luck! And be safe.

Collapse -
Two Security Applications.
by rvrnc / September 3, 2010 1:22 PM PDT

I have used most. For the past two years, I have been using ESET and Malwarebytes and have been totally satisfied. They are quick and extremely accurate. They have a light footprint. I have needed Malwarebytes once, and they were there when I needed them, and solved the problem within an hour of my submittal. I will continue to use them. Most importantly one must keep their operating and security systems up to date.

Collapse -
Just One Security Program
by Zeppo / September 3, 2010 1:37 PM PDT

Norton Security Suite provided free of charge by my ISP (Comcast).

Collapse -
One
by Rompin Raider / September 3, 2010 1:44 PM PDT

Kaspersky Internet Security 2011.....runs smooth and doesn't slow the PC down.....Windows 7.

Collapse -
ClamAv after Company XX bought it & put it in the Cloud NNo
by DRVTACH / September 3, 2010 1:48 PM PDT

winXP "No SP"[I need the raw open sockets at times., No IE, NO WMP, Outlook, Notepad, No Networking install during Install using xpLite. Only What I want installed when I want it installed.
Clam removed, Back to Avast w/No active scanning.
Index.dat Suite,Trackless, MRU-Blasteron auto every Min. CCleaner 1.9,Spybot Auto on Boot Usage Tracks Only.
ZeroTrace,Tinyresmeteralpha real time everything Monitoring.eSma PortBlocker,FoxIt Pro,Seamonkey 1.8 w/NoScript [No Whitelist] Huge HOSTS File and Network Logging tools 2Tb Hdd for Logs only..
jv16 PowerTools not just to clean the reg but to check all changes to the reg & Tree, ZA Pro version 4.5
On Usb WiFi and Always Block internet w/ZA remove the wifi card Before Closing browser. Never Boot with Wifi Installed. To much already. Want my IP Take a shot at ME..
OH, GoBack 3.0 set most days to Auto Revert "C" Drive to 12:01pm GoBack Is The biggest Security Tool when Used as It was meant to. To Bad Symantec was allowed to buy it and Kill it, well its in there spyware Blooted Suite

Collapse -
how many security apps
by roger3094 / September 3, 2010 2:00 PM PDT

microsoft security essencials, malware bytes, threatfire,secunia,stopzilla.

Collapse -
Poll: How many security apps are you currently running?
by mike53_1999 / September 3, 2010 2:24 PM PDT

Three

Ad-aware (Free)
AVG 9.0 (Free)
Windows Firewall

Collapse -
Hmm...Various...
by tobeach / September 3, 2010 2:56 PM PDT

Desktop Computer:
2 Real Time: Rising A/V & Spybot w/TT active.
2 On Demand: MBAM & SAS with additional as needed Blacklight,
Stinger, HJT, Crap Cleaner, jv16 Power Tools, Erunt Backup daily,
Sea Monkey w/ NoScript. At least 1 scan after leaving net by rotation of available on demands with virtually nothing ever found (not even tracking cookies).
No IE, Net Bios, ALL remote * & backdoors disabled or closed.

Laptop: Avira A/V and same as above but w/ Firefox w/ NoScript. Wireless not used & disabled.

Both machines used in hardwire connect/keyboard/mouse behind Win firewall & hardware firewall (router). No Toolbars on either.Seems to work for me but not necessarily recommended for others. Grin

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.