Desktops

General discussion

Poll How many bits is your main computer's operating system?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / June 27, 2008 5:33 AM PDT

How many bits is your main computer's operating system?

-- 64-bit (Which OS and how's it working for you?)
-- 32-bit (Which OS and how's it working for you?)
-- 16-bit (Which OS is that and is this is your main computer?)
-- I have no idea

If you are running a 64bit OS, what are some issues that you've run into?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poll How many bits is your main computer's operating system?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poll How many bits is your main computer's operating system?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RE:
by damasta55r / June 27, 2008 7:00 AM PDT

32-bit Windows XP Pro SP3-Good
32-bit Windows Vista Home Premium SP1-Average
32-bit Ubuntu 8.04-Great

Collapse -
O.S.
by fastfred2 / June 27, 2008 11:16 AM PDT

32 bit, Windows XP SP3, 4Gb RAM,Custom built system Works fine.

Collapse -
Interesting question
by rhomp2002 / June 27, 2008 11:42 AM PDT

I am running right now 9 different Linux distros on my computer. I am running 4 64-bit distros - OpenSUSE, BlueWhite64, Sabayon and LinuxMint - and the only problem I am having is with flash and a couple of multimedia apps. Other than that they are all doing well, especially the BlueWhite64, my favorite of them.

The other distros are Mandriva, Mepis, Ubuntu, Kubuntu and Fedora and they also are all running just fine. I am not having any problems with them on any application that I run, even flash and the multimedia apps.

My main root app is Kubuntu right now but when I get the flash and multimedia apps for the 64-bit distros that will change to BlueWhite64. I am about to start weeding out some of the distros to narrow the focus.

As to which to pick for the guy asking the question, pick the 32 bit for now. There are a few missing drivers and other apps for the 64-bit that the average person who plays game and does some of the other things will need. I don't play games so that does not bother me.

Collapse -
The system I have
by maldelus / June 27, 2008 11:58 AM PDT

32 or 64 bit? Both!

My system is capable of handling 64 bit architecture, but I am primarily using it in the 32 bit mode as I'm not a heavy gamer or a business enthusiast requiring loads of memory and computations to create CAD creations, like automobile designs or even the latest technology in non-oil based automotive techniques/ alternatives.

I'm sure I'd have a more powerful system if I were to work for Pixar! That is just a fantasy though, how appropo! My desire is mostly for the crafting of words in a knowledgeable and rhythmic style, so a 32 bit system works well for me. Oh! I haven't had a difficulty one with Vista Home Premium installed.

Collapse -
some experiences with Vista 32 and 64.
by sbeverid / June 27, 2008 11:59 AM PDT

I have three 160G SATA Drives in the Desktop PC. One for Vista Home Premium 64, one for Vista HP 32 and the other was running XP Home Premium 32 until recently.There is also a 320G PATA I use for Data. I use F8 at bootup with allows me to select which drive to boot from.
The vista Home Premium 64 is used mainly for Studio 11 for processing Video with the Studio 11 64 bit Drivers. With a Duo Core 2.4 and 4 G RAM it works very well with no problems and renders approximately 30 frames per second.
The drive with the Vista 32 I use mainly for everything else I currently run. I have had some dramas with it and have had to Format re-install four times this year. It is not a major ptoblem doing this as I keep all the data on the 320G. It is inconvenient when it plays up in use, but nothing terminal. I now regularly backup to the 320G drive Outlook into .pst file for the Personal folders and Firefox using the FEBE add-on for bookmarks, passwords etc.
It all seems to function OK.

Collapse -
64-bit MAC OS-X 10.5 Leopard
by bamajock / June 27, 2008 12:22 PM PDT

Great for 64-bit software as well as 32-bit and below.

The only issue I've run into is NO BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH and other Windows annoyances.

FAST boots and shutdowns.

Wish I'd made this move sooner than I did but I wanted to ensure compatibility with my work hardware/software. Not worried about hardware anymore and with MAC versions of the few items of Microsoft that I have to use I don't need Windows anymore!

I'll never go back to a windows machine again!

Collapse -
I have two main computer and so two different answers
by rbsjrx / June 27, 2008 12:46 PM PDT

My primary Windows machine is running 32-bit WinXP MCE. Although I'm running 64-bit hardware, I have no plans to move to 64-bit anything from Microsoft. Hopefully, I'll never have to infest my machine with Vista (more on that in a moment).

My primary Linux machine also uses 64-bit hardware and on that one, I use 64-bit Ubuntu Studio with KDE added as the default desktop environment. As I approach retirement, I treat Microsoft as an unfortunate business necessity. By the time WinXP is really unavailable, I should have totally migrated to Linux.

Collapse -
32-bit system
by geofbrewer / June 27, 2008 12:51 PM PDT

My main system uses XP Pro, SP2, IE 6.X.
My laptop has the same. Slightly different configuration, and not because it's a laptop.
My other system uses XP Home. It's a work in progress.

Collapse -
Re: How many bits is your main computer's operating system?
by djreedps / June 27, 2008 1:24 PM PDT

64 bit Sabayon Linux -- works great. I will never go back to Windows.

Collapse -
32bit vs. 64bit
by DMOliver / June 27, 2008 1:31 PM PDT

Though things are headed for 64bit processing, I am very happy with the 32bit XP Media Center Edition SP3 with 2gb RAM on both my desktop and laptop computers. Both systems are very stable and do everything well that I expect of them.

Collapse -
64 bit!
by lsippell / June 27, 2008 2:19 PM PDT

Vista Ultimate X64 on an Asus P5WD2-E Premium, 4G ram, dual core 3.4G processor, 2 320G SATA Hard drives and 2 250G SATA Hard drives and 2G Ready Boost. 2 SATA DVD R/W drives and 1 IDE DVD read only drive. Oh, and 1 floppy drive that I don't know if it works or not!

I run Photoshop CS3 Extended and also do a lot of CAD/CAM.

I have XP Pro 32 bit on a partition but have not booted it in about 3 months.

Collapse -
64 bit vista ultima?!
by Drosophilla / October 25, 2008 8:22 AM PDT
In reply to: 64 bit!

Hi, I was wondering where you found drivers for your MB, the P5WD2-E Premium?

I have the same board, and can't get it to install Vista 64 Ultima. I would appreciate it if you could share this info with me.

Thx in advance
Morten S

Collapse -
acer aspire E560, 512 MB , 32-bit os in windows vista

my computer's operating system is working on 32-bit. but i believed it should be on 64-bit.

Collapse -
some 64-bit issues
by squirtlewa / June 27, 2008 3:04 PM PDT

I run 64-bit Vista and MacOS.

With Vista-64, I've a few things that won't run because of the 64-bit version -- antivirus and part of a disk tools utilities suite.

I also run 32-bit XP Pro.

All the OS are working fine for me.

Collapse -
Vista x64
by Sheitan86 / June 27, 2008 4:46 PM PDT

Hi,

unless you have an hardware device lacking a 64 bits driver, go 64 bits, incompatible apps can most of time be run inside a virtual machine running your old 32 bits XP flavour.
There are several virtual hosts you can use to achieve this, VPC 2007 or SUN VirtualBox are free software and perform rather well provided that your hardware is powerfull ebough, but it should be if you've selected an 64bits OS !

Collapse -
hey
by marcellut / June 27, 2008 9:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Vista x64

im using 64-bit windows Xp professional..my specs are 250GB SATA hard, Quadcore Intel processor, 4GB RAM, 1GB video card...its okay that i used 64-bit windows XP or should i use 32-bit XP..or should i go for 64-bit Vista

Collapse -
32bit. I'm using Windows Vista Home Premium.
by thljcl / June 27, 2008 7:28 PM PDT

For more than a year since the first day I used this PC, I've no major issue. Everything just works.

Collapse -
How many bits
by warhol6 / June 27, 2008 10:07 PM PDT

i use a dual boot system:
32 bits windows XP professional = awesome
32 bits windows Vista home basic = good
32 bits OS for now is fine and discard all 64 bits headache concerning drivers, compatibility ... etc. but get me wrong definitely 64 bits is the future.

Collapse -
Vista 64
by Scotteq / June 27, 2008 10:46 PM PDT

Been running 64 bit Vista for the last 9 months, and it's been practically flawless. And (speaking as one who actually used XP at that OS's release) it has bee far better than it's predecessor when compared at the same point in their life cycles. i.e. Vista at Release is far better than XP was at release.

Regarding compatibility - I have yet to find a commercial Windows application that doesn't run on Vista 64. Perhaps the difference is that I don't use old software or old hardware.

(related) Regarding the use of translation layers between 32 and 64 bit - This is not correct. WOW64 does some work redirecting registry entries and file locations, but at a fundamental level - an x86 binary is an x86 binary is an x86 binary. 32bit is x86 only, and as we all (should) know - the current x64 standard is a superset of the same instructions. This means your processor doesn't care. What matters is the API the developers programmed to. As long as the code is properly written to the proper API, it doesn't matter whether the compiler used is 32 or 64 bit.

Collapse -
Applications that don't work with 64 bit OS
by ray574 / November 3, 2008 5:19 PM PST
In reply to: Vista 64

I found that flash player and dvd43 for dvd decryption do not work with 64 bit OS. I "upgraded to vista home premium 64 bit to utilize 4
gig ram upgrade, because 32 bit only utilizes 3.2 gig of ram.
Then I found that I cannot watch youtube and cannot use my dvd copy program because the dvd43 needs to run to decrypt for copying.
Anyone know of a simple way to use these on 64 bit, or do I need to put my XP on as a second OS, but that requires some kind of patch, doesn't it?

Collapse -
OS
by Phil Crase / June 27, 2008 11:01 PM PDT

32 BIT XP PRO CLONE Smooth very smooth.

Collapse -
OS
by knigh061171 / June 28, 2008 12:36 AM PDT
In reply to: OS

I'm using Vista Home Premium 64-bit. I have only had one device that I couldn't get drivers for, and old Creative Labs NX4 web cam. I'm not really worried about it. I'll get a newer web cam eventually.

As far as system specs, I'm running a 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB of OCZ Platinum Ram, HP Lightscribe Combo DVD, Asus CD-RW, 3 hard drives, 2 IDE, 1 SATA, and dual 512 MB XFX Geforce 8600GT in SLI mode.

I do quite a bit of gaming and most, not all, of my games run just fine. I'm having less problems with games and software than a buddy is with running 32-bit XP SP2. I'm running Office 2003 and some photo-editing software, not much more than basic fix this...cloning..and whatnot.

Basically, I haven't had any complaints.

Collapse -
32 bit

32, Windows XP Pro SP2, great
I'm planning on building a really fast computer and get 64 bit Windows Vista.

Collapse -
RE: Poll How many bits is your main computer's operating sys
by pixelsmith / June 28, 2008 2:25 AM PDT

I run a dual Intel quad processor machine, 8 GB RAM, and an Nvidia Quadro FX3500 video card running under XP-64 SP-2. I have a RAID 0 boot drive and a RAID 3 drive for rendering to. I've had the system since last August and initially had some problems with the Nvidia drivers which have since been resolved.

When I first got it, I had to do some research to find a suitable AV software provider. I liked NOD32 best, but wound up using Avast primarily because it was free. My Wacom serial port driven UDXL2 12x12 tablet didn't have drivers for it and Wacom had no plans for supporting it under 64 bit OS's so I had to purchase a new USB Wacom tablet. The version of Nero that came bundled with my machine had limited functionality. I had to upgrade to Nero 8 in order to get all of it's features enabled.

I had similar problems in regard to back-up software, which was part of the reason for the upgrade to Nero 8. My copy of UltraBac didn't support 64 bit machines although a newer version is available that does. I just don't want to pay the cost of the upgrade at this time.

My old Linocolor scanner didn't look viable for use with the new machine either since there weren't drivers for any of the SCSI-2 & SCSI-3 cards I had laying around. The scanner died last winter and I had to purchase a new one. When I began researching new scanners, I discovered that Microtek didn't have any drivers for their scanners, nor a timeline to support 64 bit OS's. Others were spotty at best. I wound up purchasing an Epson V750 Pro which was one of the few that had USB drivers for 64 bit machines. Unfortunately, some of it's best features, such as the Silverfast AI software included with it don't run under 64 bit Windows. I'm hoping they'll release a new version soon that will support 64 bit OS's.

I've had to upgrade the firmare and use different drivers for my Minolta 2300DL Color Laser printer which I don't like nearly as well as the drivers I use on my 32 bit machines. However, at least there *are* drivers which support the machine. My modem uses generic Microsoft drivers since the manufacturer doesn't provide their own.

I've not bothered with looking into monitor color calibration software yet as my need hasn't been strong enough, not to mention that my 30" HP LCD monitor has essentially no adjustment capabilities of it's own, so a Monitor Calibration system such as DataColor's Spyder may not even work with it for that reason alone. My DPT calibration hardware is made for CRT's, so I know it won't work with the monitor anyway.

With all that said, I'm very pleased with the way the machine runs Maya 8.5 as well as Photoshop CS2; the primary applications I run. I tend to run the 32 bit version of Internet Explorer so I can use the plug-ins for it such as Flash which won't run in the 64 bit version of Internet Explorer that comes with XP-64. I find it aggravating that many essential plug-ings for browsing the web don't have 64 bit versions, but for what I primarily use the machine for, it's something I can overlook.

I do have numerous other 32 bit apps that run under 32 bit XP which either won't run or won't install under 64 bit XP, but I can't recall the names of most of them at the moment other than Adobe Type Manager; a program I beta tested for many months during it's development for NT and am having trouble living without. I can readily live without DOS programs running in a Command Window as I had few of those to begin with.

I've been very hesitant about using any kind of a Registry cleaner and have found sites that check for driver updates such as PC Pitstop, etc. that don't fully understand that drivers for XP-64 are different than those for XP-32.

I think that pretty much sums up my experience to date. I'm happy with my choice of a 64 bit machine and OS, but it does have it's limitations in terms of hardware & software that one can use with it. If there's a specific 64 bit application you primarily use with it, then I'd highly recommend it. If not, I see no reason to make the change at this time.

- pixel

Collapse -
Re:Poll How many bits is your main computer's ...
by BigBata / June 28, 2008 2:52 AM PDT

32-bit Windows XP Home - Good

Collapse -
32-Need 64 but don't trust Vista, maybe "windows 7"?
by DDT3 / June 28, 2008 3:20 AM PDT

Main workstation Vista 23-HATE Vista, worst OS in the world, never in a tear has it gone 4 days without a crash, some severe, some simple...made it to 2 days 23 hours once, but usually about 2 days between crashed, on a bad day 4-5 a day. Would love the power of 64 (have the hardware) but if 32 Vista is this bad and 64 is harder to find drivers etc...I'm waiting. Maybe the new Windows 7 ?
All other PC's XP-32 all fine,
1 laptop (wife's, no real "use" just a "surfer") Vista 32 and it's fine.

Collapse -
64 bit seem sto work for me
by Jelly Baby / June 28, 2008 9:39 AM PDT

I tested the 64 bit waters with Ubuntu dual booting with 32 bit XP on my PC. Linux was a much quicker OS to load than XP and seemed to work well on my PC.
I installed Vista 63 bit onto a new drive to see how it would work. All the reports of long boot times and driver issues made me fairly cautious about switching to Vista. Once I had in up and running (one of the easiest installations I have ever had to use to set up a new OS) it seemed to be pretty much problem free appart from a lack of drivers for my sound card. Once I had replaced it with an older Creative card which had a 64 bit Vista driver all was well. All my applications worked first time and both Photoshop and Capture NX are much faster then they were on XP. Boot times are shorter than XP and I have had no crashes of the OS and only a couple of minor application hangs in the weeks since I installed it.
I don't play games on the PC so I can't comment on 64 bit as a suitable games platform but for image processing and general "Office" applications it seems to be a big step forward.

Collapse -
Vista 64 working excellent so far
by ray574 / November 3, 2008 5:27 PM PST

I installed 65 bit vista home premium, and it is very stable, and can utilize my 4 gig ram for my Acer Aspire, Amd athalon 64x2 duo core TK-55, 1.8GHz. I found Vista 64 bit for $90. Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Running both 32 and 64

I have a HP desktop running Vista Home Premium 32 and An HP Pavilion Laptop running Vista Ultimate 64. Both systems are very stable and any difference in speed is undetectable to me in normal computing. I love the live motion desktop in Vista Ultimate, so much I'm debating upgrading the desktop to Ultimate. Vista for me has been a very good OS thus far, no crashes at all, and some very nice new features. I do not understand the bad rep it has received in the press, but could this be due to trying to upgrade older computers from XP to Vista?
I have had no bad experiences thus far.
As far as the 64 system, the only problems I have had is in trying to find drivers for several peripherals. Canon will not support 64 for my Image Class 780 laser printer, Linksys says they will not support 64 at all including my WPSM54G wireless print server, and Maxtor has no support for any of the One Touch Plus dives including my three month old 500 GB drive. GRRRRRR!! I can only say be very before switching to 64 if you have a lot of peripherals you wish to keep and be very careful to check for compatibility in buying any new ones. On the plus side Vista Ultimate 64 did not even require software to use my Office Jet 7310 or my friends HP PSC 1300 printer, it just saw them and set them up to work with no user input required. Finally Plug and Play that actually works. Same for thumbdrives, wireless routers (non-Linksys), mice, keyboards, etc.
So aside from some companies not wanting to support 64, I am VERY happy with the OS. Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Both 32 and 64 Bit
by ESUNintel / June 28, 2008 3:39 PM PDT

I have two Mac's (a Mac Mini and a Macbook Air), those are both running Mac OS X Leopard, on 64-bit Core 2 Duo's, and it is a 64-bit operating system. My desktop is running an Intel Extreme Quad Core, also 64-bit, but I am running 32-bit Windows Vista Home Premium due to compatibility issues with 64-bit operating systems, plus all I need is 4GB of RAM. My UMPC, Samsung Q1 Ultra, I think only has a 32-bit processor (it's an Intel A100), and it runs XP Pro 32-bit. I don't really have the need to run 64-bit Vista or XP. I have to run 64-bit OS X though, but that's how it comes, and for a 64-bit OS, I think it has less compatibility issues than any 64-bit Microsoft OS. Only way I would run 64-bit Microsoft stuff is through VM Ware Fusion/Workstation.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.