Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Poll: How long does your system take to boot up Windows 7?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / June 11, 2010 8:53 AM PDT

How long does your system take to boot up Windows 7?

-- Less than 10 seconds (What's your secret? System specs?)
-- 10-20 seconds (Are you OK with that? System specs?)
-- 21-30 seconds (Are you OK with that? System specs?)
-- 31-40 seconds (Are you OK with that? System specs?)
-- 41-50 seconds (Are you OK with that? System specs?)
-- 51-60 seconds (Are you OK with that? System specs?)
-- More than 60 seconds (Are you OK with that? System specs?)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poll: How long does your system take to boot up Windows 7?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poll: How long does your system take to boot up Windows 7?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
More then 60 seconds
by Jonmor68 / June 11, 2010 9:05 AM PDT

it doesn't bother me, I put mine in sleep mode when I'm away from it.
For the odd time I need a restart I find something else to do, like make a cup of coffee.
I record a lot of TV programs and movies, often after I've gone to bed, so sleep mode meets my needs.

Collapse -
Same here. I use sleep mode...
by movesen / June 11, 2010 5:55 PM PDT
In reply to: More then 60 seconds

and then I can start work within 10-15 sec. However Microsoft often ask me to reboot with new updates Sad

Collapse -
I've HAD IT WITH "WINDOWS 7" AND WITH MICROSOFT & BILL GATE
by seth_bullock / June 12, 2010 7:05 PM PDT
In reply to: More then 60 seconds

TODAY, I WENT TO A MACINTOSH STORE, GOT WITH A "MAC GENUS ", AND I BOUGHT THEIR TOP OF THE LINE "MAC PRO" AND HAD THEM TRANSFER ALL MY FILES TO MY NEW "MAC PRO!!"

THE, WE SPENT 60 MINUTES DOING EVERYTHING--AND THERE WERE NO CRASHES, NO STRAEM OF MESSAGES, ETC., ETC.

GOODBYE "BILL GATES JUNK'!!!

Collapse -
1 1/2 minutes
by mwooge / June 11, 2010 11:01 AM PDT

Takes mine over a minute and a half, but part of that is a utility or two that launch at startup. But even new, it didn't take under the 30 seconds some are claiming.

Collapse -
Effective time = 0 seconds

Waiting for your system to boot? GO DO SOMETHING ELSE!
My typical routine: Get up. Toddle down to office. turn on PC. Leave immediately to floss and brush teeth. Return from dental hygine - Voila! system is up. Total time waiting...ZERO!
Power up at place of work? Go get coffee. Take 2 minutes to stretch. Close you eyes and meditate/deep breathe. If you have time to put a stopwatch on your system you need to GET A LIFE!

Collapse -
Starter Si` Ultimate NO!
by knives4less / June 11, 2010 12:39 PM PDT

I have 3 HP machines running Vista with 2 or 4 GB RAM. They are slow and unreliable. I bought an Acer netbook (Win 7 STARTER, 1 GH Atom CPU, 1 GB RAM). It boots in seconds, runs software FAST and reliably. As an experiment, I installed World of Warcraft on it and even it runs great (although I would hate to play the game on a 10.1" screen.) I have friends with similar machines who paid $45 for the "upgrade". Their netbooks run as slow as Vista. Worse yet, there is no uninstall.

Please, Microsoft, make Starter available as an upgrade to Vista machines. It will save your reputation.

Otherwise, I will wait until the Chrome OS becomes available and dump Vista for good.

Collapse -
Count to 30 and it is booted up,
by bigbear639 / June 11, 2010 1:02 PM PDT

Another 15 seconds to finish connecting and running programs that are set to run after bootup, A/V Sidebar etc. Shutting down just under 30 seconds unless there were a lot of Security Updates. Considering that XP takes 5 minutes and Vista about 3. An older Desktop XP located in the Basement a good 10 -15 minutes. Long enough to change the Cat Litter, Wash up and throw alod of clothes in the washer. When it decides to start at all.

Collapse -
Chromium OS
by LivingForTheFuture / June 11, 2010 4:06 PM PDT

I thought the same when using xp and was getting ready to dump xp for it until I heard all the good talk about windows 7, I bought a OEM license number for mine and other folks computers I work on from ebay for a lot cheaper than retail! and works really well, as for wait time to completely load and get into a program like google chrome less than a minute, I have 4 gigs of ram and operate a dual core. I have been wanting to get my hands on better equipment but don't know many people in the pc recycling business, I knew of one guy but he was looking for cash for the good stuff that came by, cause its worth money. I met him off of craigslist. A new pc cost way to much money over 1 grand and that is just for a stock pc, with none of the aftermarket upgrades...and nobody throws out pcs that new. But I tell you what building pcs is a lot of fun, and pay is minimal lol unless you sell a lot! Craigslist is the best place to sell but you always got people that want to give you 50 dollars less than asking price when your already selling for dirt cheap. Never no complaints!

Collapse -
my copy of windows7 Ultimate Boots within 10-20 seconds !!
by pappadaa / June 11, 2010 6:34 PM PDT

have Comp::compaq presario CQ40,pentium dual core 32 bit system. O.S.WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE RC rcvd. from MICROSOFT FOR EVALUATION .
IT BOOTS FANTASTICALLY FAST..
COMPARED TO FULLY WINDOWS VISTA BASIC WHICH CAME LOADED along with the Comp. in March 2009.
Now i am bogged down with this defunct OP.SYSTEM WINDOWS VISTA BASIC!!
in India,nobody is interested to help me out with this dead O.S.
S.M.S.(SAVE MY SOUL)!!!!

Collapse -
Win 7 Boot up
by Browniesdad / June 11, 2010 9:30 PM PDT

Compared to its predecessors Win 7 is a rocket, still takes a minute or so, partly because of all the crap on my system but I am very happy with it. AND it shuts down very quickly and smoothly, 10 - 15 seconds. Can anybody say 25 Meg processor and 50 meg hard drive and Win 95.

Collapse -
Booting Windows 7 and the virtue of patience
by Zidamon / June 12, 2010 2:29 AM PDT

Hi everyone,

I have a Acer Aspire M3610 Desktop, original pre-installed with Win Vista Home Premium, but recently installed with Win 7 Ultimate (wow, what an improvement).
Specs: Intel DualCore 1.6GHz, 2GB RAM, 640 GB HDD, internal grahicscard ATI HD 2400. Overall Windows performance score of 3.6

Win 7 starts up in about 35 seconds. That is before user login.After login it takes 20 to sometimes 120 secs, depending on updates and maintenance tasks running. But in startup I have ZoneAlarm Firewall, Eset NOD32 AV, SUPERAntiSpyware, webcam, Samsung Color Laserprinter Util, Acronis True Image Monitor and TuneUp Utilities.

In our fast paced world it is the virtue of patience that makes all the difference. We aspect fast, faster, fastest, but I still remember being proud downloading my first freeware on a 56Kb modem in about 15 minutes. Talking about patience!

Collapse -
Two ways to answer and two ways to time it

I suppose one could answer by how long it takes from pressing the power button to when the login screen displays or, to be more accurate, how long from when the OS begins to load until the same occurs. While I've not put a stopwatch to it, I can say that the time from when I press the power button to when the POST process is complete is longer than the time it takes Windows 7 to load once the system hands it off to the OS. I'll estimate the total time to be 45 seconds but from where I first see the Windows logo to where the login screen appears is no more than 15-20 seconds.

Using a modest home built with ASUS P755D series, i5-750 CPU, 8 gigs of RAM and Win 7 Pro 64 bit.

Collapse -
15-30 seconds
by frollo17 / June 14, 2010 1:29 AM PDT

My windows 7 PC works wonders after 3 months of use, i have plenty of software installed and only 1GB of RAM, but right from the start of installing i have used TuneUp Utilities. TU works wonders on Windows 7, the Computer takes on average about 10 seconds to pass the startup logo then after that it's a 5 second logon time. Voila!

Collapse -
too long
by brlarson / June 14, 2010 12:56 PM PDT

My Dad's computer took over 3 min to boot up Vista, now that I upgraded it to 7 it only takes 2.5 min from the time I press the power button until the time I can click anything. From off to a fully loaded up Firefox is 3-4 min.
He got a $4k gaming system right after Vista came out so it is not the top of the line any more but still will give anything out there a run for their money.
Intell core 2 2.66ghz,
4 gig ram, fast buss speed,
600MB graphics card (top of the line Nvida when new).

My 7 year old (now retired) XP laptop would beat my dads gaming desktop on startup times (for both Vista and 7) by 30 seconds to a min.

So 4 months ago when my XP laptop video card decided it was done, I did my research and got a 17" Macbook Pro. It boots in under 35 seconds. I only need to reboot it once every few weeks. From the time I open the cover (bring it out of sleep) to usable is about 1 second. It is so fast that I close the cover when I leave to save energy, the wake up time is so fast that it is not an issue like it was on Windows. It takes 4-10 seconds to wake up Win 7, which does not sound like much but it is irritating so people do not have it sleep until it has been idle for 15 min (what a waste of energy).

I do not think I will ever go back to Windows, oranges to oranges the Macs are well priced and they just work. And there is only one OS, no home, home premium, pro, ulitmant, etc. Also there is no junk av program to load on start up, no other junk either. I have been on a Mac for 4 months and have not needed any Win only programs. Since XP Windows just went down hill. Once Chrome is out I think Windows reign over the computer world will be over.

Collapse -
I just use
by R_Head / June 15, 2010 10:05 PM PDT
In reply to: too long

Mandriva Linux 2010 and my Dell Latitude D800 takes about 30~40 seconds to boot up (notice the laptop was build in 2003) with full KDE4 Desktop Environment.

As is right now, WinXP is on a dual boot computer to run my Cannon Proprietary Software. Other than that, there is no other use for MS in my house. Wink

Collapse -
Windows 7 ~45 seconds
by jeffronc / June 16, 2010 4:28 AM PDT

My Win7 Ultimate x64 boots in well under a minute.
I am very happy with Win 7!

System:
EVGA 680i
Core2Duo6600 @ 2.8GHz
2Gb Corsair xms2 + 4Gb G-Skill (6Gb) all @ 800Mhz
WD Raptor 150 (still only gets 5.9 windows experience index...)
EVGA Nvidia 8800GTS 512(g92)
(4GB Patriot USB Flash Drive for Ready Boost -yes, it took at least 10-15 seconds off boot time.)

Collapse -
HOW TO GET RID OF IT?
by karna9492 / November 15, 2010 11:14 AM PST

what should i do...?
to make my PC boot up fastly...?
suggest me some steps other than "msconfig".

Collapse -
Timed with phone stopwatch
by Retheesh / November 16, 2010 2:02 PM PST

Takes 23 seconds until the Windows logo shows up. From there it takes another 40 seconds to completely load Windows. So a total of 1 minute and 3 seconds for a power on boot.

The breakdown:-

6 seconds of blank screen
5 seconds Nvidia video card bios version
10 seconds to detect all devices attached*
2 second cursor blink prior to loading Windows

*The BIOS actually checks and displays all connected devices like internal and external storage devices, USB mouse, USB Keyboard, USB Hub, etc. Hence why the BIOS takes a while.

Motherboard is MSI 785GTM-E45 w/ Phenom II 550 (unlocked 3rd and 4th core). Also using a WD 160GB IDE drive manufactured in 2000.

For a "throw together computer with parts lying around", I'm pretty happy with it, esp. the actual performance once it's done booting. Only thing I bought was a GT 240 for $20 AR Grin

Collapse -
about 30 seconds

The entire process takes about 30 seconds.
It's about 14 seconds of Bios and black screen, and 16 seconds booting Windows.

I have the OS on a SSD
i5
HHD & DVD RW
32 GB RAM
2 GTX 560 SLI cards

Collapse -
Mine is 21-30 seconds.

I have System Specs:

Intel Core i7 2630QM (2.0GHZ) 8 GB DDR3 1066 RAM
18.4 " (1920 x 1080)
240 GB OCZ Agility SSD, 750 GB 5400 RPM
BD Combo
AMD Radeon HD 6850M 2GB DDR3 VRAM
Windows 7 64 Bit Ultimate

I have a 2 GB external drive attached

Collapse -
More than 60 seconds is okay...

My Dell Inspiron 570 with 8GB ram and Anthlon II x2 250 processor takes 65 seconds to get to the log-in screen. I don't have any complaints about this; I have been considering going with a SSD because they claim it boots faster and runs quicker. I am concerned about space though. I keep all my documents, pictures, videos, and music on a separate drive and my main HDD is still using 73GB. How can I reduce my usage further (I was looking at a 64GB SSD)...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.