Windows 8 forum

General discussion

Poll: How do you like Windows 8 so far?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / January 31, 2013 8:24 AM PST

To give you some context to this poll, please check out this discussion topic: Windows 8 just isn't my thing, can I install Windows 7 over 8?

If you are running Windows 8 on your PC, how do you like it so far and why?

-- I love it! (Did you have a hard time adjusting to it? What makes it so great to you?)
-- I hate it! (Please tell us why?)
-- It's just OK. (Care to explain?)
-- Still getting use to it, ask me later.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poll: How do you like Windows 8 so far?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poll: How do you like Windows 8 so far?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
On balance it's a con
by wpgwpg / January 31, 2013 8:44 AM PST

The new user interface is counter-productive on traditional laptops and desktops. There's no Start button and everything is in a different place. The apps run single thread which reverts a computer to a DOS like environment (just with fancier graphics). If you install 3rd party programs like Start8 or Classic Start, it becomes a lot more like Windows 7, making it a whole lot more usable, but most folks are going to have to find out and implement this, which they shouldn't have to do. MS in its wisdom has removed all the games and XP Mode. They do have something called Hyper-V which can run XP, but installing it requires skills the average user doesn't have, and there's no USB support in it. Making recovery discs is another change users will have to learn about. Outside of a moderate improvement in performance, I don't see any reason for anyone to upgrade from Windows 7 or Vista.

Collapse -
Classic Start
by Kasie1968 / February 1, 2013 8:10 AM PST
In reply to: On balance it's a con

Thank you so much. I was getting very frustrated with Windows 8. Just got my new computer about a week ago and have been having problems finding anything. The Classic Start button is wonderful! Now I can find everything. I very much appreciate you letting us know about this.

Collapse -
Windows 8
by BobTec1 / March 31, 2013 10:17 PM PDT
In reply to: Classic Start

Windows *8 takes a little time to learn but then you never want to go back to Windows 7. It syncs across my windows 8 phone,tablet, surface and xbox all with ease. New world and Windows 8 is in it

Collapse -
(NT) i agree with you i tried i and i don't like it
by Cjijr1972 / February 9, 2013 7:18 AM PST
Collapse -
I have to disagree on some information
by dprovod / February 17, 2013 1:40 AM PST

While most of the information is correct and helpful, the applications don't run in a single threat. Windows 8 is a very much a multithreading environment. The UI is different and needs adjustment but it is more productive when a person gets used to it. However, a computer designed for windows 8 is required that supports the functionality. There is no need for touch computer but the mouse has to support charms, flicks and gestures. I tried running windows 8 on my old laptop and it was horrible. I felt very limited. However, I got new laptop that is designed for windows 8 and I don't want to go back to windows 7. For example, to go back in the browser just flick back with 3 fingers. The same is to go forward just flick in the opposite direction. It is very convenient to switch between applications as well. All you need is to mouse flick on the left side and it switches back to previous application. Sharing is much easier too. Just these functions make it much more productive for me and I feel limited now when I work in windows 7. Everyone should make his or her own choice. However, limitations are not always built in to the system.

Collapse -
by angelafay67 / August 17, 2013 1:58 PM PDT

i got my new laptop about a week ago and i love windows 8..... once you learn all the hidden short-cuts it makes changing from app to app so much easier. i have a friend that thinks its only good for touch screen but i totally disagree. it is much smoother going back and forth from where you have been to where you want to go.... love love love it....

Collapse -
I'd say bust
by Ribye13 / February 1, 2013 7:59 AM PST

Had a hard time adjusting to it, just didnt like the new interface, downloaded the start button and that helped go straight to old desktop that helped. But fail to see any benifit over windows 7 which worked just fine. I would say its a bust becuase it seems over half the user base doesnt like it ( thats not bad its a disaster for a company wanting to sell things ) People keep saying all you have to do is this and that but I want a turn key operating system.

Collapse -
(NT) i totally agree
by Cjijr1972 / February 9, 2013 7:25 AM PST
In reply to: I'd say bust
Collapse -
I have windows 8 on my laptop, and it is faster. Desktop no
by RRDB / February 1, 2013 8:24 AM PST

I installed Windows 8 on my laptop, and it seems to be running faster. I took some time to figure out how to navigate around, it is a completely different animal. Even the Card games operated different. You do have a lot more games then before. On my Desktop it is a completely different Story. I had a dual operating system in my Desktop, I ran the 64 bit Vista for games. When I installed Windows 8, at boot up, it did not me give the option of selection for what OS I want. When installed my flight Simulator or more like tried to, it is incompatible with Windows 8, and some other programs where that way. I wound up uninstalling Windows 8. I had a heck of time reformatting the Hard Drive, the windows format program it locked up on it. I had another program to clean the Hard drive. I had to **** around before I got the Dual OS working they way I wanted. I am back to Windows vista, Ultimate. FYI I had never had a problem with it in the 5 years since I installed it on a new PC. The only reason I even considered Windows 8, my MB on my Desktop, decided to quit. So with a new Processor and MB and 16 gig of Ram,, we had new PC. I gave windows 8 try, but as long as they support Vista that is where I am staying. Vista has doing fine in the 5 years that I been running it. No Blue screens like Windows XP, in XP I had to start from scratch about every six months, format C, and install everything and updated etc etc. I may go to Window 7, on the Desktop, but not 8. It is working great now with the I 7 core, even have a 2 gig Video card. I happy the way things are. I hope to be good for at least 5-6 years.

Collapse -
Not Set for Laptop or Desktop Computers more for Tablets!
by Newaygo1 / February 1, 2013 9:45 AM PST

There is no Start Shutdown button have to got to 4th level to unless you buy an app for it. Not Mouse friendly for a Desktop or Laptop. It need to have different modes for the device you are using it with ir Desktop, Laptop or Tablet type Devices. It looks like they are to far ahead of mopst that usually use a Laptop of Desktop and have left those of us behind thinking we would just jump to a Tablet but with them very limited memory and no means to have a DVD seen on your desktop again unless you find an app that works were as XP and W7 had a "Media center set up and they seem to have dropped all that being to far ahead like everyone now has a "Tablet" Tablets are okay but Laptops are more user freindly as to personal / business usage Tablets are more for light applications with the limited storage they most have need a lot more for pictures and video and word docs. Appears Microsoft jumped to far ahead for most won't shift to a Tablet for many years to come just cannot do what most laptops do and having to buy apps to do basic computer stuff is not how Windows 8 is good for. Maybe if you spend a lot for a "touch" screen but that pushes the cost the up 300.00 more when you need something for "everyday" use and tablets appear to not to be very durable as a laptop is by ability to protect the screen by closing it and a tablet is always vunerble to damage when not in "use"!!! even with some type of sleeve case... maybe for around the house but not much of anything else...

Sad that you are stuck with this because once W8 is out the other OS will soon be gone like XP was... And buying a new computer with W8 sounds nice but so much more you have to do to get things working when you don't have a touch screen!

Collapse -
Windows 8
by roymer / February 1, 2013 9:35 AM PST

Seems to be an absolute pig's ear to me, a radical change from Windows 7 for no apparently good reason...a typical MS Geek infliction on us. I went to return my new Acer to the store as it was giving me blood pressure trying to deal with it. Unfortunately they had no alternatives to offer in the store..the only Windows7 models left were two reconditioned returns with a smaller screen. They offered me a $100 revision which got rid of the cartoon opening screen and placed Start Bar on it so that it seemed similar to Windows7.
I had a problem with a lot of the unnecessary crap on the cartoon opening screen, especially when I saw that the "photos" icon showed bits of photos in my files that I wouldn't choose to show on the opening screen..where do they get the OK to do this?? New apps were placed in icons on this screen which were off-screen to the right, and so totally inconvenient.

Collapse -
Windows 8
by Kasie1968 / February 1, 2013 6:07 PM PST
In reply to: Windows 8

I hate to tell you this but your "cartoon screen" can be replaced by your own photo choice, if you'd like...

Your "start button" can be replaced for free... download (Classic Start) application...

Your photo tile can be turned off manually......

New apps can be moved. You can move any tile to wherever you would like it to be....

Collapse -
Next computer will NOT have W8
by jpculver / February 1, 2013 11:14 AM PST

Ok, I don't fit one of the four catagories. Sorry. I hate the tile interface. I don't do FB or twitters or any social stuff other than plain email. I like W7. It works. It does what I want when I want it. The W8 interface is all cluttered up with crap I don't care about. Besides being developed primarily for touch screen. I'm just hoping W7 will still be available when I buy my laptop.

Collapse -
by Cjijr1972 / February 9, 2013 7:32 AM PST

ebay still has brand new ones that have windows 7

Collapse -
W7 from custom computer makers
by Ron Geiken / February 1, 2013 11:26 AM PST

Some custom computer makers are still installing W7 on computers that they make at your request. They have both W7 and W8 available. If Ihave to buy a new computer in the next year or so, I would just bite the bullet and look one of these builders up and have them deliver a W7 computer to me. It is legal to do that. Microsoft is allowing the custom builder to supply the computer with either system. I have looked at W8, and the machines that I looked at at the Microsoft store had active monitor screens, so they were suitable for touch. Don't know if somebody wants to spend a good part of their day interacting with their screens rather than that using a keyboard and mouse. I think that somebody sold Microsoft a "bill of goods" on the desirability of using a touch screen. I have been using a mouse and keyboard for years and am very comfortable with that. It is even possible to use a mouse and screen comfortably with a Nexus 10. You have to use a Bluetooth Mouse and Keyboard since the Nexus charges at the moment though a USB buss input. After using both an Android Nexus Tablet and a Windows 7 computer with an i 7 processor and 8 gig of ram, I prefer the W7 machine. Nexus devices and i Pad devices are fine for consumption but doing actually work is better done with W7 computers. Android and Apple Tablets are better used as mobile equipment. I personally think that W7 is the Apex of computing especially with i 7 processors. Of course powerful Desktops and Laptops are not very portable like a tablet. At this point in time anyone that tries to tell you different is just blowing smoke.

Also the Microsoft Surface has a quad core Tegra 3 and 2 gig of ram, and I had a Netbook with W7 with similar resources and it was frustrating to try to do anything. I finally installed Android 4.0.3 on it, and it was finally fun to use and enjoyed using it for a change. Netbooks were really intended for Windows XP, and W7 was a little too resource intensive for the machine. It was shipped with 1 gig and I updated to 2 gig and went from W7 started to W7 Home Premium. It had a Intel N550 dual core processor with hyperthreading, but that just wasn't enough horsepower to make the machine enjoyable to use. My W7 with an i7 processor and 8 gig of ran just runs smooth as silk. I frequently have 5 or 6 programs open and it can handle it with ease.

Collapse -
dispise it
by bytlan / February 1, 2013 11:31 AM PST

I had 7 running fine did an upgrade to this nightmare! Oh it's more front end fluff then I care to deal with. I use a PC to be productive and Entertained. No Media Center with 8 unless you buy the extra app! Got to run extra apps or programs to get a program menu look and feel of productivity back. Still all these other side menu twists and turns to get an app to work that is not loaded into the older menu system. This is just as stupid an idea as that reverse. It is a navigation nightmare that I wish I would have never learned about or stumbled into. An icon task bar that stretches across dual screens when that is loaded too. WHY? I want to watch my media on that second screen not a stupid menu task bar - I do not have 1 good thing to say about the ghoulish nature they went and set up for that system. Dual screen with options on the front end fluff on 1 screen and old PC program menu on the other might be better.

It is just an arrogant assumption to think to change everyone's desk top to something that is not affordable as the full fledged touch screens or monitors that act as a tablet or like that of a smart phone. There was no planning afforded the lower end tech users. Yes I own desktops and PCs, but dumping more money into something that may or may not function all the better is a foolish mans dream. And during the worst economy times of the nation - the hope died here! That greed is way to evident in this picture or story. Oh and NO Keyboard TAB functionality to go from screen to screen or bloody menu system to menu system - inept people.. The mouse function is so poorly done. Where is any sub-menuing from a far right or both button clicks to aid in that menuing nightmare. Just a lot of thoughtless assumptions... and yes waste of time and money to get nothing more done.

And now placing my PC as something wired to the cloud for data connection and lessoning of my own hard drive space is another assumption I do not care for it with the so called tablet world either. Just more corporate assumptions that the PC home and PC business world should be all the same. They can never be the same as functionality are just not the same. The MAC Apple world is not fully there either but it appears more better suited than this current one..

Collapse -
Nothing but trouble.
by cmptrsue / February 1, 2013 1:10 PM PST

When my husband's old Win Vista PC died (it was fried by a power surge when power returned after Sandy) I convinced him to buy a touch screen notebook with Win 8. BIG mistake. It has been nothing but trouble. Most of the old programs are not compatible. I have spent many hours getting things to work and new problems seem to pop up every day. I just discovered that none of the Windows updates I thought I was installing actually did install. It really is not worth the effort.

Collapse -
NOT as bad as everyone says.
by Kasie1968 / February 1, 2013 5:35 PM PST

I was having problems navigating the Windows 8, but i don't let anything "win". I found out I could download the (Classic Start) button and now I am in control again. Windows 8 is not that much more than Windows 7. Basically all the same except no start button and an "app" interface. I don't really care for the apps but it is easy to pass up by clicking on the desktop tile.

I don't know what all the complaining is about, honestly. It works for me. I just don't use the apps on the start page. Not a big deal. They are handy, I guess, if you like having everything in front and you are used to apps on a cell phone. I just don't like having all my mail and messages, etc, viewable to others when I log in. DISABLE live tile...

I really have no complaints. It's great for people who want fast access to all there social, sharing sites. It's also great for people who don't. It's really not as big a deal as everyone is making out to be. I'm good with Windows 8. I am actually enjoying it.

Collapse -
My reply to: NOT as bad as everyone says.
by ozzyfied / March 30, 2013 9:25 AM PDT

I happen to agree with you on all you said in your post.
2 weeks ago, I bought a new laptop with Win8 on it and I love it! My Toshiba laptop that originally had Vista on it (I upgraded to 7), is slowly dying. So, I thought this would be a perfect opportunity to get going on Win8.
The first thing I did, I read on how to get the "start" button back on, I got it and love it. Then, I did some more research as to what to enable and disable to customize my laptop the way I like it. I am still learning as this is a completely different thing for me. But, that is all a part of learning something new and growing with the world of technology. IF ONE DOES NOT LIKE the new O/S...stick with what you have ORRRRR, stop complaining and learn it.
What are people going to do when one day someone says ALL cars sold from this point on will fly, no more on the road cars, if you want on the road cars, stick with the one you have?? Hmmm? Will everyone that does not want to fly fill the forums and complain, or will they just stick with what they have?
Geez people, stop complaining and make a choice...Win8 or no Win8??

Collapse -
by Luke_B / February 1, 2013 10:44 PM PST

When I first read the reviews and user opinions, I was skeptical about it. Been a week with Windows 8 and it has been an great experience. Windows 8 is cool and fun to play with.

Collapse -
What games do you play
by lucky76 / February 2, 2013 11:02 AM PST
In reply to: Perfect

You sound young, "cool" and "fun to play with". If you were over 50 you would use the word "sucks".

Collapse -
by Cjijr1972 / February 9, 2013 8:06 AM PST
In reply to: What games do you play

i agree im only 40 and it sucks windows 8 that is

Collapse -
Sucks at over 50?
by willivon4 / March 9, 2013 3:08 AM PST

I'm a few weeks from 64 and aside from the initial couple of weeks (bought my Asus Q200e the day after Thanksgiving) of breakin (of my brain) and the occasional inadvertent touch of the multi-touch pad I enjoy the interface. I find I'm not using the touchscreen as much as I thought I would but it's still nice to use the scrolling freedom it gives.
I usually have my mini-mouse connected and I disagree with it being assessed as mouse-unfriendly. This was a replacement for my old Asus Eeepc 1000ha Atom N270 Win XP netbook. I have a 2 1/2 y/o grandson so I downloaded a couple of games programs which he loves to play (on his papou's lap, not alone).
The only problem I have is a result of attempt to install the Webroot security software that came with it which I had to download since this has no optical drive (I've since added an Asus external Bluray/ DVD drive) After running one of the scans I lost network access for all browsers. A restore got that back but now Internet Explorer which I never used anyway has no network access. Since I have 4 other browsers, I care not.
I'm relying on Defender for security now. I had been using Microsoft Security Essentials with my desktop and netbook for a few years anyway. Defender is an updated version of MSE anyway and comes with Win 8.
At some point I intend to get a Bluetooth dongle and try setting up voice recognition which happears to be native to the Win 8 vers. this runs. Then of course will come the HD to SSD upgrade.

Collapse -
Windows 8
by BobTec1 / March 31, 2013 10:20 PM PDT

I am over 60 and love windows 8. It starts up In 7 seconds and is connect to interenet. Remember you can go to 7 in windows 8. Don't act so old.

Collapse -
over 65
by BobTec1 / May 9, 2013 7:01 PM PDT

I am over 65 and yes Windows 8 is fun. We are not dead at 50

Collapse -
(NT) NO way
by Willy / February 2, 2013 1:58 AM PST
Collapse -
Win 8
by pgc3 / February 2, 2013 2:16 AM PST

I bought it while it was still cheap and had planned on a new build be being based on Win 8. Since my purchase of Win 8 I have changed my mind and it still remains in the box. So here I sit with a new barebones full tower with NO OS, what to do, hmmmmm..think I'll stay with Win 7 on my main system and start looking at Mac, I'm getting tired of Windows.

Collapse -
Always consult the original source before deciding
by mpdugas / February 2, 2013 12:29 PM PST

I have used a PC since DOS 2.11, so I have some considerable experience behind me.

I can safely say that, if you decide to use, or avoid using, W8 by reading other people's comments, it will probably be an error.

At age 65, you'd think I should be set in my ways and that I'd find it hard to change my approach to my PC with such a different UI.

It is hard to explain, but I find W8 almost a ZEN-like experience: it is such a beautiful and serene way to access my PC.

There is nothing that I would change; I have as much control over the use of my machine as ever I did under any previous version of Windows.

My advice to those contemplating adopting this OS: do your own thinking.

Collapse -
Guess I'm a dual personality ... I Am a Geminii, after all!
by chippe01 / February 3, 2013 6:39 PM PST

I opted for the 39.00 upgrade, I figured "how bad can it be"?

About 2 hours after installing on my desktop, I completely wiped the drive and went back to Win7. It was just utterly horrible. How dare they remove the start button! How dare they push these ugly and very inconvenient tiles on me!

But then I saw a Sony VAIO Tap 20 machine, which is a 20" portable all in one touch screen system. I had to have it! I could use it to replace my laptop, bring a computer wherever I felt like using it AND use it as a giant 20" tablet with a full computing experience!

I want it, I want it!

So I ordered it. It was love at first sight....

I had a completely different user experience with Windows 8 on this machine. The touch interface really made a difference here. After using it a few days, I opted to put Windows 8 back on my desktop.

I can see some of the merits in this new OS, but it really should allow it self to be installed based on the type of machine you are installing on. They should give the option to install in desktop mode to mimic the Windows 7 desktop user experience, or tablet mode for the full touch experience.

On my desktop, I purchased the $5.00 Start8 software, which gives me back my Start button (and a customizable start button and start menu, or just plain classic start menu of Windows 7), AND allows my desktop to go straight to the desktop and bypass the start screen, and allows me to shutdown more easily.

There have been some good improvements in Windows 8:

- Faster start up -- my desktop machine starts up in about 6 seconds due to the way Windows 8 shuts down

- I like the file copy progress dialogs, which show the copy statistics and keep your preference

- When attempting to copy files of the same name, you can view all conflicts in one screen and just do the whole operation en masse, or choose what to do individually.

- Better usage of system resources

- Much improved task manager

- The start screen is great on a touch screen or tablet (NOT on a desktop machine)

- Spell check EVERYWHERE! This is really a great thing.
- The Xbox games are pretty good
- Allows you to sync settings across devices, but this can be changed on each individual device.
- I like the full screen apps for news reading and weather
- Some pretty good free apps. mostly news and social stuff, but kind of cool nonetheless

What I don't like:
- I miss the weather gadget on my desktop
- No clock on the start screen (But you can find one in the app store)
- Too much social integration. Fine for youngsters in this day and age, but I'm not a social butterfly
- Most store apps are pure garbage and overpriced. If you're going to push this as a seemingly tablet-like experience, the apps should be priced accordingly.
- The new interface takes a lot of getting used to

Overall, what started out as a terrible experience, turned out to be a pretty good one once I gave it some time.

Bottom line: A good touch device experience, and a good desktop experience if you give it some time, and learn how to make the OS work your way.
For someone that does not know much about computers and customizing, I can't see this as a viable desktop option.

Collapse -
I love it.
by orlbuckeye / February 3, 2013 6:39 PM PST

I purchased an Acer laptop with Win 8, touch screen and a back lit keyboard on Black Friday. I love it but I really didn't need the touch as I don't use it that much. I mostly use the desktop just like Win 7. I used to use my Windows 7 app to remote to my work computer now I exclusively use the Windows 8 remote desktop app to do it.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.