PC Applications forum

General discussion

Poll: How do you keep track of all your passwords?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / March 13, 2009 7:14 AM PDT

How do you keep track of all your passwords?

-- I write them down (Is it locked up?)
-- I use one password for everything (So, if I know it, I can compromise everything you have?)
-- I use a password manager software (What if your PC was stolen or crashes?)
-- I use the browser's password management (What if your PC was stolen or crashes?)
-- I save them in a document on my computer (What if your PC was stolen or crashes?)
-- I use brainpower (Can you share some of your brain with me?)
-- Other (What is it?)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poll: How do you keep track of all your passwords?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poll: How do you keep track of all your passwords?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Roboform
by jamesmartinez / March 13, 2009 10:57 AM PDT

I use Roboform to keep track of passwords.

Collapse -
PASSWORDS
by WASTEP / March 13, 2009 11:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Roboform

I use Roboform. I like not having to remember passwords

Collapse -
passwords
by webb4343 / March 13, 2009 10:29 PM PDT
In reply to: PASSWORDS

I keep my passwords on a flashdrive that I keep with me on my keyring. A printout is in the safe.

Collapse -
Passwords
by purpol / March 16, 2009 5:12 PM PDT
In reply to: passwords

I have found that what works for me is a combination of several of the techniques described. I periodically update a file on a flash drive and keep a hard copy in a safe place. I also tend to choose the same password for similar types of sites/programs. Separate strong passwords for critical needs (ie. bank accounts, etc).

Collapse -
password is a TV show -don't insist on a subject line ahole
by Rlthur / March 13, 2009 12:02 PM PDT

Roboform. I have one Master password to remember that is a toughy and that is the one that unlocks all the others. Pretty good program.

Collapse -
Password management
by JackHord / March 13, 2009 3:02 PM PDT

I my passwords in an Excel Spreadsheet.
I save that file to a floppy so it's not on my hard drive.
Then I print it out for a hard copy.
The list has gotten so long that now it takes a legal length page.

Collapse -
Keeping Passwords
by webpete / March 27, 2009 12:24 PM PDT
In reply to: Password management

I also use the Excel Spreadsheet.
For back-up I up-load it to an online storage space and also make a back-up on a floppy.

Collapse -
I do "other"
by lisabrencis39 / March 13, 2009 11:01 AM PDT

I do keep them in a Word document BUT I don't keep the file on the computer. I keep the document on a CD and keep the CD tucked away, updated as required. I also keep a printout of the document and I keep that safely tucked away, too. I make notes on the printout over time and, once it gets marked up enough, I load up the document from the CD, make all the updates and create a new CD, chopping the old one into little pieces. Simple and secure.

Collapse -
PASSWORD
by kunnath / March 13, 2009 12:18 PM PDT
In reply to: I do "other"

I have kept all details in a word file which is locked using "folder lock".

Collapse -
SplashID password management
by Monty Boyer / March 13, 2009 11:02 AM PDT

I've used SplashID for years. It runs on my windows and mac laptops and syncs changes (bidirectional) with my smartphone. This gives me a backup if either the laptop or the smartphone disappears, as well as access to all the passwords (and much more private data) via all of these devices, i.e. anytime I need it.

Collapse -
I also use SplashID
by gunillak / March 14, 2009 2:15 AM PDT

I've also used SplashID for years, it?s available for iPhone which I use now. I love how easy it is, and the price is low.

Collapse -
First of all, use Firefox...
by rbsjrx / March 13, 2009 11:06 AM PDT

Using Firefox gets you the Firefox password manager, built-in. You can then add the free add-on, Sxipper, which will extend its capabilities. Using Sxipper adds the facility to synchronize passwords and bookmarks (favorites) with other computers. I use it to synchronize browsers on multiple Windows and Linux machines.

Collapse -
i agree + this tip
by jigmeg / March 13, 2009 1:30 PM PDT

Add Foxmarks (FF add-on) to sync to all your machines and what more do u need?

Collapse -
look at a company called Passpack
by sontrac / March 13, 2009 11:10 AM PDT

I find it a nice feature

Collapse -
Keeping track of passwords
by Linda Frazier / March 13, 2009 11:10 AM PDT

I enter my email address/user info on a Rolodex card along with my password. OR for some, I use lamination machine and make cards with the info on them, laminate, then put them on luggage tags on a keyring.
Linda

Collapse -
Not Too Many
by Suenell / March 13, 2009 11:17 AM PDT

I use 4 random passwords for everything. So even if I forget, I can go through all 4 and eventually get it right before I'm locked out of trying again.

Collapse -
Password Manager for my simple mind
by AleeaB / March 13, 2009 11:17 AM PDT

I keep a Rolodex with the complete name, addresses (snail, mailing & physical location), phone #s, at least 2 points of contact names and a short description of what/why/when I needed to the information. Within all that information is a password. I do not need to lock it up because there is no pattern to what the password might be and all are unique. I find the older I get the worse my memory is and the alphabetical Rolodex is just what I need. If necessary, I can lock it in the safe until it is safe to leave out again. My assorted user names are also unique for each of the letters of the alphabet in my Rolodex Currently there are about 400 cards in the file and some cards are in their 10th or more edition based on how often passwords have to be changed.

Collapse -
Keeping Track of Passwords
by Brewash / March 13, 2009 11:36 AM PDT

I do the same thing. I find this is the easiest method.

Kudos!!

Collapse -
Saw it in a comic book!!
by boneking / March 14, 2009 3:10 PM PDT

I save all mine on a flash drive in an Excel chart. In addition they are all written down BACKWARDS so if anyone does find them they don't work. (except dad & mom & wow, etc!!)

Collapse -
I use an address book
by Aim4Stars / March 17, 2009 1:50 AM PDT

Similar to some of the suggestions, I use an inexpensive address book for password and similar information. I use ink for accounts and pencil for passwords which will be changing. One person knows where it is and what information to access if anything happens to me. I also keep a list on a jump drive in my safe deposit box.

Collapse -
I use eWallet so I can synch with all my mobile devices
by NFredT / March 13, 2009 11:18 AM PDT

I depended on a password manager from Dataviz for years but it only synchs with Palm based devices. I have tested Roboform, KeePass and a few others but just recently found a product named eWallet by ilium software. I needed a version to work with my laptop and smartphone while my wife needed a version to synch between her laptop and Blackberry. They have the solutions and they work great.

Collapse -
I'll have to look into that
by depage / March 13, 2009 11:51 PM PDT

I'm currently using the Dataviz product, which solves the problem of the computer crashing by having it on my Treo 700p as well. I'll have to look at eWallet and other solutions for the future though. I really DO need the portability of having passwords on my cellphone.

And yes, I use Sxipper for the web only passwords.

Collapse -
Password system
by juliewishes / March 13, 2009 11:27 AM PDT

I use Roboform which I think is fantastic and it saves me so much time and worry. I also have a reminder in my calendar on the first of each mont to print out all my passwords from Roboform - and all my bank accounts and bill pay and Outlook address book - and I file them and put them in a safe place - locked draw. I think that anyone who got to them and realized what the information was would need a lot of time to work their way through it all.

Collapse -
Crackberry!
by timthescarred / March 13, 2009 1:59 PM PDT
In reply to: Password system

I have a Blackberry which comes with a great little software called PasswordKeeper I only have to remember a password to get into it, and it has everything else. I keep my phone regularly backed up to my computer just in case anything should happen

Collapse -
password management Norton 360
by toeboston / March 13, 2009 11:46 AM PDT

The current version of Norton 360 includes a feature called Identity Safe that includes a password manager. Its not perfect, but I use it. Its feature rich and I don't have the patience to master it.

Collapse -
I use Password Manager
by aqw8326 / March 13, 2009 11:48 AM PDT

This program, will save your username and password as you enter it, then will encrypt it. You can also let it choose a password for you. It also requires a password to be opened.

Collapse -
Hah, went to post here & had to remember another password:)
by jmwren / March 13, 2009 12:00 PM PDT

I usually write the user id and password down on my paper bills. If it's an acct like yahoo, or google.. with no paper I try to use the same three or four passwords that I know by heart..For my business there are so many more passwords to remember although I try to use the same one but I have my girls at the office create a file and then a printout of all the accts and passwords user id's etc.. then I keep it at home in a safe place. I don't think I would trust a program on the computer, although I do let windows remember some of my user ids. That does help..I have also found that even with extra security questions to go through you are not 100% safe. I had a girl working for us that knew all my security answers as she ran my office, then she left us and I had to think up new ones to protect everything. That can be really tricky when you have such basic questions like your mothers maiden name.. etc.. so I've learned to be creative, but even then I forget some of it..lol..

Collapse -
Keep Track of Passwords
by oliverrp / March 13, 2009 12:18 PM PDT

I periodically print off all my passwords and store that document in a safe. So I really do three of the things on the list.

Collapse -
Passwords
by jmj947 / March 13, 2009 12:21 PM PDT

I use RoboForm... great product. As to crashed or stolen PCs: I have a backup of my entire hard drive on both an external hard drive and with SOS online backup. I think I'm safe.

Collapse -
I record first letter of password plus a clue to the number.
by bruceberman / March 13, 2009 12:26 PM PDT

I keep a document in word and me.com with all the passwords.
I only use a couple of passwords, so I just record the first
letter of the password I'm using. If it requires a number,
I'll add BD for birthday or AN for anniversary, etc.
So . . my list might say M BD for a password . . . or L AN
for another. Don't tell anyone my secret. haha.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.