Computer Help forum

General discussion

Poll: Does svchost.exe ever hog all your CPU resources?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / April 24, 2009 7:31 AM PDT

Does svchost.exe ever hog all your CPU resources?

-- Yes (When does this occur? How frequent?)
-- No (Lucky you!)
-- Sometimes (When does this occur?)
-- I have no idea what you are talking about. (Then I guess it's not an issue for you.)
-- I don't use Windows.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poll: Does svchost.exe ever hog all your CPU resources?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poll: Does svchost.exe ever hog all your CPU resources?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No I've never had this problem Lee
by anmor / April 24, 2009 8:00 AM PDT

I must be one of the lucky ones. I have Windows XP Pro, Vista & W7 installed.

Collapse -
by gringojo / April 24, 2009 1:31 PM PDT

How the Hell can you have XP,vista, & W7 (is not even out yet) all installed @ the same time? you cant that wont work

Collapse -
You can have multiple operating systems on the same drive.
by grabacon9 / April 24, 2009 1:39 PM PDT
In reply to: WTF?
Collapse -
by gringojo / April 24, 2009 2:35 PM PDT

Why dont make sense

Collapse -
by gringojo / April 24, 2009 2:34 PM PDT

huh! lucky? yeah sure right ok Pinochio

Collapse -
Gone but not forgotten
by jkollar / April 25, 2009 5:03 AM PDT

I had the problem for awhile although I voted no. I got rid of it by turning off email scanning in Norton Systemworks. Haven't had a problem since. My view: let the antivirus software from my ISP and on my computer protect me from incoming email. Outgoing email, people I send email to should know better than to open email from me. Happy

Collapse -
Yes, svchost.exe also hogged my CPU resources (98%)
by mustang_r / April 24, 2009 12:55 PM PDT

This used to happen, about 18 months ago, when I was using an early version of WindowsXP. I would simply use the "stop process" option in the Task Manager to stop or overcome it. At some point thereafter, it just stop doing it, and because I didn't notice exactly when it stopped, I don't know what additions or updates might have corrected the issue. I do remember that the problem usually presented when I had 3 or more 'online' windows open, and was visiting multiple sites - I think I also had a photo-editing s/w program open at the time. I have noticed multiple 'svchost.ex' processes listed in the Task Manager now and wonder if maybe having more might have resolved the issue? I don't know.

Collapse -
On Vista I no longer have this problem
by gunillak / April 25, 2009 4:43 AM PDT

I used to have this problem occasionally when I was on XP. On Vista now and I no longer have this problem ... a lot of others, but not this one Happy

Collapse -
I had this happen on my old computer...
by grabacon9 / April 24, 2009 1:40 PM PDT

I had this happen on my old computer and in order to fix it I had to clean the fan etc. Eventually, I got tired of cleaning it..So, I got me a new computer. Problem Solved.

Collapse -
On occasion it did, until...
by Paul C / April 24, 2009 7:23 PM PDT

...I learned a few tricks.

1. Do you really need Windows' Indexing your drives for supposedly faster searching? No. Right-click the drives in Computer (Vista) or My Computer (XP and earlier) and clear the check box for indexing. Click Apply, then follow the prompts to apply to all folders, subfolders and files. If Windows says if can't apply this to a folder, click "Ignore." Repeat for all drives/partitions. I personally don't use Windows' hopeless search function; instead, I use the freeware Locate32, available at It's blazingly fast, accurate, and only updates its file index upon your request through its Updtdb32 applet.

2. In the same popup window, clear the check box for file compression. In this day of 1 Tb hard drives, do we really need to compress an entire drive/partition?

3. Any version of Windows from Windows 2000 onward starts any number of services, all of which consume both RAM and CPU resources. Many of them are totally unnecessary and only gobble up system resources. Go to and select the guide pertaining to your operating system (Windows 2000 Service Pack 4, XP 32-bit Service Pack 3, XP 64-bit Service Pack 2, Vista Service Pack 1 or Windows 7 Beta). The "Safe" configuration works fo almost all of us; if you have a different configuration, then leave that service available. Oh, and did I mention that you should have your PC updated to the latest service pack available for your OS? You should. Doing this WILL result in a lower drain on system resources and improved boot/shutdown times. However, results may vary, your mileage may vary, past performance is not a predictor of future results, and all those other disclaimers. Wink

4. Malware is a frequent cause of such problems. If svchost.exe suddenly starts gobbling up resources, I'd pay attention to any software I'd installed immediately prior to the problem starting. If I hadn't installed any software, or if I determined that the newly installed software wasn't causing the problem, then I'd scan my PC for malware with a number of tools, both offline and online; a practice you should be doing.

Hope this helps,

Collapse -
svchost.exe hog all CPU resources
by ryim668 / April 24, 2009 10:03 PM PDT

It did happened to me a couple of time. After doing some research in google, I found that it was caused by a virus which resides in the memory when you start the machine running my xp.

Collapse -
by maldelus / April 24, 2009 10:17 PM PDT

I have noticed the executable at times but haven't experienced any problems associated with it. I will download the recommended program to id the various users though in the event I suddenly experience a problem with the execuatable.

Collapse -
svchost.exe ever hog all your CPU resources?
by shubhkaransingh / April 24, 2009 10:33 PM PDT

Yes I faced problems many time.
svchost.exe ever hog all your CPU resources?

Collapse -
Nvidia nView
by eelydnic / April 24, 2009 10:47 PM PDT

I had this problem several months back also. Extremely frustating!!! Tried everything, google, process monitor, process explorer, etc.
Turned out it was my Nvidia nView Desktop Manager. Once I turned it off everything was good.

Collapse -
That NVidia applet is one I noted a while ago.
by Paul C / April 25, 2009 6:52 PM PDT
In reply to: Nvidia nView

It's a greedy little thing, isn't it? Devil

Collapse -
Yeah, it's not a very nice app
by eelydnic / April 25, 2009 10:52 PM PDT

It also kept causing my pc to freeze up requiring a restart, couple times of day. I was so happy to figure out what was causing it!

Collapse -
100% CPU usage no longer a problem
by theccur / April 25, 2009 12:05 AM PDT

Using XP on a single processor system, this issue was a frequent, trying and insoluble problem. Different programs would run at 100% at different times and under different conditions. I learned to endure it. I now use Vista on a 4 processors system and have never had it recur.

Collapse -
svchost.exe hogging resources
by cvacinc93 / April 25, 2009 12:06 AM PDT

A rogue spyware program kept reloading asking for updates to be installed. My tech was finally able to locate and eliminate this program. It was buried pretty deep, so it tokk several tries to eliminate this nuisance .

Collapse -
svchost cpu usage
by sistersilver / April 25, 2009 12:24 AM PDT

no problems so far. I just got a new computer-Vista-with a 64 bit system. Still, I will check out the software you suggest. I also have a triple processor because when I first got Vista nothing worked...also...4 gig hard drive instead of 2 or 3 plus 2 gigs of memory made it possible to work with the computer and stay up to speed with no problems. Vista is definitely not for small computers.

Collapse -
svchost CPU problem solved
by voyagerxv / April 25, 2009 3:02 AM PDT
In reply to: svchost cpu usage

I recently had the svchost problem with my PC. I was eventually able to narrow it down to the new version of AVG (8.5.287). I used Autorun to help find the problem. AVG recently added a component (Resident Shield) to block malware and I found it was running a quite a few svchost processes and using a lot of CPU and disk read/writes. It made videos hard to watch. I took a glance at my network antenna light and it was flickering on and off like crazy. I turned off the "Resident Shield" component and all seems well now.

Collapse -
Varying results in different machines and OSs.
by brianlevyesq / April 25, 2009 9:21 AM PDT

I have 3 computers, 1 runs Vista and have had no problems, my desktop with XP SP 2 (it freezes when I tried to upgrade to SP3) had the problem until I went in and disabled everything but the most basic needs and now it seems better but still has fits but I know it is my tax applications and nothing I do with them seems to help. My 3rd runs XP SP3 and with the same tax apps seems to do better. The laptop and desktop are running 2 gigs so not an issue of dispaate ram in them.

I also have a laptop and a desktop running 2000 Pro and neither seem to have any issues. Both use 1 gig or ram. These are lightly used so may not be as much an issue based on apps. I have noticed that there are fewer resources needed to run Wordperfect 11 and MS Office 97 with all the updats as to viewer to allow opening and saving to the Office 2007 formats and ODF compared to Office 2003 that seems to be a hog. I may dismount 2003 from my XP machines and mount 97 with the same upgrades to keep is lean and mean.

Collapse -
the svc host and the theft of youre resources
by archangelmajestic / April 25, 2009 12:21 PM PDT

I can get into the jargon and be hip for a moment,but id rather get to the direct solution and rid youof all of the bull,listen if you want to rid yourself of ALL of youre computer problems i have the perfect solution,and this solution will rid you of ALL problems and rather then insight will give you reprieve from what others that dont listen end up whining about,on the market you have about 2300 different programs that can work with the problem and will refer you to another product (trashy marketing problem.Heres youre one stop fix all of everything.SYSTEM MECHANIC PROFESSIONAL,this is sold at WALMART for under 45.00 US,now this program will not only analyze EVERY problem on youre computer it will make the appropriate changes and i do mean it will fix and keep fixing every problem,it will bring youre speed on the internet up over 300% of what the speed is now,it will stop programs that have no function unless they are required to do so,i will run everything from unclog clutter,scrub and sweep hard drives,eliminate slowdowns,crashes and freezes,search and recover lost files and deleted ones as well,it has an incinerator,a perfect firewall and a antivirus that out performs any and all ive tested and thats 30 years of testing.This program will give you the power you once had over youre computer back in the days of the XP program,and there isnt anything you cant change or alter on youre system,my sons both GEEKS and proported know it alls in the tech trade both flipped when they saw what this program can do,and did i mention that it also comes with a startup disc in case you cant get youre computer up?how about the compresion of youre windows programs that take up 55% of youre hard drive just by having on youre system(and that doesnt include the absurd vista security,downloads.I comresses all files to save space on the system program and the start up slowdown is completely eliminated.i did the trial and it worked so well and without sales pressure i was amazed that the support line i open 24 hours a day.Your gonna like this program,i guarantee it.It also protects youre computer form the outside connections to the internet,no problems here with viruses pop ups or anything i dont want .Do yourself a favor,this will be the best 50.00 youve ever spent on youre system,and if you hurry now youll be able to get all five programs for the price of one system mechanic (walmart) or go on lone to

Collapse -
100% CPU usage, slow system (FIX)
by Erick Erickson / April 25, 2009 3:05 PM PDT

First end the task by going to task manager highlighting the program cisvc.exe and click end process. Your cpu usage should go way down to say 3-10% approxamately. This is an index service file activated by cidaemon. Neither of this can be deleted- its part of windows but it can be shut off.

Next go to your control panel and start "Add or Remove Programs" . After its up go to" Add/Remove Windows components" this will start up the windows components wizard. Uncheck the indexing service click on "next", it will remove this component, then restart your computer and it will not load up so cpu usage should be normal.... eeerickson

Collapse -
Does svchost.exe ever hog all your CPU resources?

Yes, i felt several times. Actually as i connect to Broad Band, the entire system get halted for at least 5-6 minutes. Even task manager-window could not open. After 5-6 minutes, when it open we could find number of svchost.exe window are running simultaneously. i felt that number of svchost.exe applications are increasing with time. Whether it is due to update is some softaware life ADobe, Firefox, Avast AVS xtra. Please anyone guide me to outcome from this.problem.

Collapse -
This discussion was enlightening
by JoMilton / April 25, 2009 6:23 PM PDT

I don't have this issue very often - that I know of - but I was frustrated up to now, not understanding what svchost was. My old XP notebook frequently choked due to low RAM and a slow dialup connection,which meant all automatic update functions hit the net at once and jammed the machine up, and I turned off auto updates and kept taskmanager open all the time to deal with it. My new Vista notebook has broadband and resources in plenty for my use, BUT it suffers from regular mysterious freezes, when it suddenly goes "silent", everything stops, it refuses to respond to commands, and I have to wait patiently for a minute or two. I shall look harder at svchost when this happens in future.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.