Video Games & Consoles forum

General discussion

Poll: Do your parents pay attention to what games you play?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / December 14, 2007 4:56 AM PST

For the kids:

How much do your parents pay attention to what types of video games you play?

Very aware (How so?)
Somewhat aware (How so?)
Not aware (Please explain.)
They don't care (Please explain.)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poll: Do your parents pay attention to what games you play?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poll: Do your parents pay attention to what games you play?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If doing research
by Jimmy Greystone / December 14, 2007 7:51 AM PST

If doing research for something, it's generally customary (and just plain polite) to say so, what the data collected will be used for, etc.

Feel free to remove this post once you've edited your two poll posts to include such info.

Collapse -
by kalel33-20416052469708587370302374692233 / June 6, 2008 6:41 AM PDT
In reply to: If doing research

I don't think you telling him how to post is going to make a difference.

Collapse -
very aware
by artman / December 14, 2007 2:01 PM PST

grandpa's the gamer in the family and we go to him for advice on games of we need it and goes shopping for games with us. He knows what games we play and plays them with us or on his own.

Collapse -
Mum and Dad don't play games...(Much)
by Jedi_jester / December 15, 2007 1:35 AM PST
In reply to: very aware

My mum hasn't played a game since having a bash at Brain age. I asked her if she wanted to play Wii sports, she said "If I wanted to play Tennis I would go out and do it, anyway I have to much to do to play games". She prefers to relax by watching TV. My dad was kind of the one that introduced me to video games. He bought an old Pong type game system that plugged into the TV. He has played the odd racing game and likes Wave Race 64 as its simple to get the hang of (shame they messed that up with the sequel). But they both tell me to go and do something els other than play games. Especially if Im shooting aliens in Metroid.

Collapse -
Not really that much
by F_demon / December 15, 2007 1:32 AM PST

since I am a bit older.
It also helps I'm not into the really aggressive games, though I enjoyed games like carmageddon, but not for the carnage.

Generally it's my decision, and my money.

Collapse -
We play Games as a family
by amigaice / December 15, 2007 2:12 AM PST

I grew up with games. I use to have almost all the systems at one point. I had to take a step back cause it consumed so much of my life. Now I have a family and it's more how we hang out. With my boys at least. We play games like ratchet and Clank. We take turns getting through parts. If we get to the next level or New planet everyone comes running in to see it. My wife and daughter like the DS and the boys play the DS and PS2. My daughter does like a good game of Virtual Fighter 4. With PS2 games being so cheap we can get lots of games. Our next system will probable be a Wii since it's more family. If Xbox360 got more family games it might take the place of the PS2. Ps3 just cost too much. I wish ratchet and Clank was on all systems. Sad.

Collapse -
Parents care sometimes....
by Wii_Master / December 15, 2007 2:52 AM PST

My parents hardly care. All I do is ask for a game and I get it in about a week or so. When we go to get the game, my parents just suggest something that everyone will my own like but sometimes I just have choices like Metroid or Super Mario Galaxy. If I buy games like Mario Party 8 my parents and my sister will pop up saying Lets Party and we all have fun and sleep in the Basement playing Wii. So for me it depends like right now my whole family is after me saying buy WiiPlay or Mario Party 8 but I just had my choice on Mario Galaxy so I bought that and now hardly anyone in my family cares because they don't want to play violence games even though Mario Galaxy is just for plain fun in the galaxy's and some violence when fighting for stars.

Collapse -
Not Adware
by bryce7077910 / December 15, 2007 5:23 AM PST

My son has ADHD and he downloads thing to is PS3 that I have no Idea are. I looked up some of them they seemed to be rather bad.

Collapse -
by winsoftwareman / December 15, 2007 9:06 AM PST

My parents are somewhat arare of what I play, but they are not that strict about it. I love wii and I want one bad.

Collapse -
by brianmv / December 16, 2007 5:22 AM PST
In reply to: somewhat

Mine are only somewhat aware. I hardly ever spend my own money on video games. My parents give me games on x-mas and my birthday, so they know what games I want. That being said, they've always been super-lenient on what games I play (I played Doom for the first time at age 4).

Collapse -
Also somewhat...
by dychrissie / December 20, 2007 3:56 PM PST
In reply to: Same.

They haven't worried too much about it..I've had some of the gruesome fighting games or shooting games but they don't seem to mind, as long as it doesn't turn me violent, etc. Or if I do play, they're not usually around to see the blood splatter to the screen but for the past year or so, I haven't been playing those sorts of games anyway. I've retreated back to the family fun gaming phase xD

Collapse -
I'm pretty sure...
by brianmv / December 21, 2007 2:42 AM PST
In reply to: Also somewhat...

I'm pretty sure that the only game that's bugged my mom is Def Jam: Fight for NY. That game is so brutal at times that it even made me cringe.

Collapse -
very aware
by ipodstink / December 19, 2007 5:21 AM PST

Myy mom makes sure what i play is safe for me. But sice my brother padt 18 she is not as strict

Collapse -
Very Aware
by bevillan / December 27, 2007 11:04 PM PST

When I lived with my parents during highschool they were very aware as to what games I was playing. Mostly because they were the ones that bought them for me on holidays, but they wanted to make sure I wasn't playing something they felt was out of my league of maturity, especially when I was 10-14 years old.

Collapse -
My parents were pretty good about it

They were always aware of what I was playing, and made an effort not to let any possible "bad influences" go unchecked, but they were generally free in letting me play what I wanted so long as I got "the talk" first so to speak. I feel that is the best way to do it and I'd say I turned out ok. I don't have kids yet but I'm pretty sure thats the way I'd be handling it. Take it away and it just builds interest in it and they're going to find a way, at a friend's house at school (yep, I've seen it) or just in other mediums like movies. There is no substitute for communication and that's really the way to go about it.

Collapse -
my dont....anymore
by JACKrC73 / January 3, 2008 12:54 AM PST

When I was younger, my mom was ALL OVER what games I played, I remember one instance when I sent her for grand theft auto 3 after I had to played it at a friends house. I explained it to her and she seemed pretty cool with it, until of course the guy at the electronic store got to her. The only way I would get games from ages 9-15 was if the clerk luckily enough forgot to ask me how old I was.

this isnt such a problem anymore now that I am older.

Collapse -
Not Really
by tayeparden / January 5, 2008 12:12 PM PST

My parents really don't care what my bro and I buy since we were able to get a copy of game such as Saints Row, Mass Effect, Gears of War, etc.

Collapse -
by funnygrig / January 26, 2008 3:51 AM PST

I'm as a mom always tryin to check what games my kids play

Collapse -
but what about that type?
by barabashko / May 30, 2008 2:24 PM PDT
In reply to: Yes

how about cartoon like <a href=">Team Fortress 2</a> game, its with blood, shooting, but still it is a cartoon, not @real@ alike

Collapse -
ouh, forgot the link
by barabashko / May 30, 2008 2:26 PM PDT
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.