Phones forum

General discussion

Poll: Do you use your smartphone while driving?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / January 15, 2013 9:16 AM PST
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poll: Do you use your smartphone while driving?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poll: Do you use your smartphone while driving?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Never use Smartphone when dangerous !
by hifly.liu / January 15, 2013 9:57 AM PST

I use smartphone only when in toilet. That's the only place no one can reach me!

Collapse -
I never touch my phone while driving.
by Jim Johnson / January 15, 2013 10:01 AM PST

I do have a Bluetooth speakerphone that TELLS me who is calling, and when I place a call, I TELL my phone who to call. That said, I still have to have a really good reason to take or make a call while I am driving. I am more likely to find a place to pull off the road.

Collapse -
by dolbyg / January 15, 2013 10:10 AM PST

I too use my Bluetooth in my car. I hang it on my ear and turn it on only if the phone rings.
Google's silly Android OS only uses Bluetooth for calls. All other apps that use audio listen to the phone's microphone, even while my Bluetooth is on! All other manufacturers know better. When is Google going to fix this?

Collapse -
Smartphone while driving
by rphunter42 / January 15, 2013 10:08 AM PST

When I get a call, I answer it. When I get a text, I read it at a red light. Other usage as needed, and safe, such as voice dialing with Siri, or using speakerphone (or Bluetooth). If we propose to ban all distractions while driving, I suggest we prohibit having children in cars, entirely. NOTHING is more distracting than a noisy baby in a car seat in the back seat, who has dropped his bottle, and is telling the whole hemisphere about his problem.

Collapse -
by Ballzitch / January 15, 2013 10:15 AM PST

I have never found it any more of an issue than listening to a radio or looking at some thing off into the distance. I use in the BMW hands free through the steering wheel, but when real important will even do google searches if I have too, if traffic to much will pull off of roadway.

Collapse -
I use it only when needed!
by AmeedEl-Ghoul / January 15, 2013 10:22 AM PST

If someone calls me, I answer the call. My car has a Bluetooth that allows me to recieve and send calls without taking my eyes off the road. I never, ever, text or read SMS while driving, this is just stupid and a disaster waiting to happen, if someone needs me urgently, they know how to call b
Now nothing pisses me off more than a stupid person driving while texting, I can recall how many times I was about to be part of an accident be ause of the dumass texting and driving!

Collapse -
Smart Phone Use
by lakefever / January 15, 2013 10:22 AM PST

Using my phone while in my car doesnt mean Im using it while driving or in an unsafe manner. I dont consider talking on a hands free device to be unsafe. If talking on a hands free device is anymore unsafe than about a thousand other things people do while driving is just nuts. How long do you take youor eyes off the road to look at your GPS, radio station, tight shorts, etc? There were a lot of wrecks and fatalaties before cell phones. We have to draw a line in thinking everybody else is unsafe and resposible for our own stupid actions. Believe it or not, all humans do make mistakes that no amount of laws will prevent. We all need to be careful and prudent when driving, period

Collapse -
Stupid Driver Salute
by pamelad / January 15, 2013 10:27 AM PST

Left hand to the ear. Right hand on the steering wheel. I call this overly familiar profile the "Stupid Driver Salute." Watch out and stay as far away as possible.

Collapse -
Smartphone use occasionally
by SfcBigDog / January 15, 2013 10:48 AM PST

When you consider all the features you can use hands free. You need to clarify with use of hands. The're far more distracting activities using hands. Whatever the solution it needs to be at eye level not down on a console.

Collapse -
Navigation only
by msecour / January 15, 2013 10:57 AM PST

The ONLY time I use the phone when driving is when I use it as a GPS. Information is entered before driving. I don't touch it while I am driving.

Collapse -
Not a good poll
by littljo1 / January 15, 2013 11:01 AM PST

I use mine as a GPS.

Not as a phone but I have to answer "yes" I use it all the time.

Not sure where you want to go with this poll. I am totally against using a phone while driving. I will not do it, it is not acceptable. It can go to voice mail or I can pull over and make a call or return one. Sitting in traffic ok? If your really sitting then I guess so but you might be sitting in traffic because of some dumb *** was on the phone and wrecked!

I say ban all phone usage when the car is moving. Hell the phones can tell when you are moving.

Collapse -
Do I "use" it? Yes, but...
by hoohah / January 15, 2013 11:02 AM PST

There's a great deal of difference in the level of distraction of various "uses" of a smartphone.

My "use" is an occasional push of a button on the Audible or Doggcatcher players. It's not hands-free, but I'll bet my level of distraction and driving danger is significantly lower than a fully hands-free user that is making and receiving phone calls or using voice-to-text.

Collapse -
Yes, all the time
by itsdigger / January 15, 2013 11:10 AM PST

hands free though. I see no difference between singin' along with my favorite oldies or driving around talking to another passenger or talking hands free on a phone...Digger

Collapse -
Yes, all the time but...
by zhileezy / January 15, 2013 11:17 AM PST

I only use my smartphone via bluetooth, hands-free connection while driving. All of that usage is for calls only, no data. If I need gps, I use my car's built in gps device Wink

Collapse -
Do you use your smartphone while driving?
by Shadyrok / January 15, 2013 11:28 AM PST

I use my phone to navigate all the time! So I answered "yes" all the time to the question.

Collapse -
by edbrady / January 15, 2013 11:34 AM PST

I do not have a "smartphone." Don't want one. I have a stupidphone. It takes and sends calls. That's what a phone is for. And I REFUSE to use it while driving. As the wife has learned, if she calls me while I'm behind the wheel, she can damned well wait until I've totally stopped before I'll ever acknowledge the call. I've seen too many idiots yapping on their phones, waving their arms while they argue (or whatever) with the ether, and paying no attention whatsoever to the world around them. Those people scare the hell out of me.

Collapse -
NO smart phone!
by triplet grandmom / January 16, 2013 10:54 PM PST

I agree with edbrady 100%. I do not have a smart phone and I do not want one. Ever.

Collapse -
I use MicrosSoft SYNC...
by azism / January 15, 2013 11:36 AM PST

I use a phone that is not smarter than me, which now-a-days is hard to find. They almost all seem smarter than me. However, the phones my Wife and I use are Bluetooth capable and with the MS SYNC in our Fords, we never have to take our hands off the wheel or our eyes off the road. We can talk just as though we are talking to each other in the car. Plus if we need to make a call, we just tell SYNC to "Call whomever" and the call goes through. I love this system.

Collapse -
Cell Phones and Driving
by David Chaille / January 15, 2013 1:04 PM PST

This poll is not valid because the answers are too limited. I use my cell phone to answer calls when driving because it is linked to my navigation system and I can answer the call with a button on my steering wheel. If the call is important, I ask the caller to hold while I pull off the road. This approach is not the same as using my cell phone while driving. I would never initiate a call unless I was parked. Furthermore, the safety features of my Prius (a terrific vehicle!!!) prevent anyone from making a call or playing with the GPS while the car is moving. Every car should (and probably eventually will) have such safety protections.

Collapse -
This poll is going to be worthless
by chillmog / January 15, 2013 1:25 PM PST

It is is only counting people who have smart phones. What about all of us that don't even own smartphones? We are a significant percentage of drivers. To have any meaningful data, you should also determine how many drivers even have smart phones. It is going to make a big difference.

Collapse -
Do I use my Smart phone while driving?
by netsiu / January 15, 2013 2:29 PM PST

I don't have a smart phone.
I have a cell phone and use a head set to talk while driving. Also my main attention while talking is not on the conversation but the road. If ever the call is/was that important I pull over or if unsafe I will hang up and call back when safe.
As a bottom line I witnessed a man in a very expensive car talking on a bluetooth going slow, fast, waving his arms, pounding the steering wheel and dash, obviously yelling and swerving in and out of his lane. So! hands free is not the answer but intelligence and sensibility behind the wheel.

Side note; The highway safety people are pushing for laws against Smart phones and Ipads being active in cars but what is Cadillac touting built into its dash? HMMMMM? By the way, Is a button not a button if it an image on a touch screen?

Collapse -
by JTShadows / January 15, 2013 3:00 PM PST

I have hands free connectivity with my smart phone and vehicle. I use it on a daily basis as I am a service technician, and on the road constantly. The one touch button on the radio and then its all voice commands after that.

Collapse -
Do you use your smartphone while driving
by brianclark4 / January 15, 2013 5:50 PM PST

I see nothing wrong in talking on a cell or smart phone, as long as its done on hands free. It is only like talking to the passenger sat in the seat next to you.

Collapse -
Only use a smartphone with hands free while driving
by brianclark4 / January 15, 2013 5:33 PM PST

I think that all new vehicles should be fitted with hands free devices as standard and all existing vehicles have them fitted by law.

It is unacceptable for someone to use a smartphone while driving without hands free, as they are not in total controle of that vehicle

Collapse -
Smart Driving
by GJMOO7 / January 15, 2013 5:43 PM PST

I use my iPhone everyday for business whine driving. I never touch my phone though. I use my hands free earpiece and I use Siri for all of my communication. I can listen to my text messages and email from my Bluetooth and I can reply back by just using my voice. I am able to have all of my emails read to me and I can also reply back to an email or send a new email. All of this is done without me touching the phone. I can even make and receive calls as well so all of this is good and there is no distraction at all while driving.

Collapse -
by netsiu / January 15, 2013 10:31 PM PST
In reply to: Smart Driving

Distraction from driving dose not come from handling the phone but from what you do with.
A conversation about last nites TV show, that golf game last weekend ect.. dosn't distract like remembering so-n-so's order or details about the customer you are talking to. If you are doing business while driving you are distracted.

Collapse -
by GJMOO7 / January 16, 2013 1:14 AM PST
In reply to: Distractions

That is not entirely true. For some people it may be true but for people like myself who is NEVER EVER! In a rush while driving and always looking around at the mirrors for lunatic drivers will do just fine while conducting business or whatever they may be talking about on the phone while driving. If a person is easily distracted then they should never engage in a phone conversation at all.

Collapse -
by rosiejim / January 15, 2013 6:14 PM PST

We have built in Bluetooth in our automobile (car) so can legally use our Samsung smartphone . Still need to concentrate on what one is doing .

Collapse -
by tmccool100 / January 15, 2013 9:33 PM PST

Yes, I admit that sometimes I look at or use my smartphone while driving, and I don't like doing it. If the phone rings, I will answer it. If a text comes through, I'll read it but wait until I'm at a stop or my destination to respond. I've just begin using GPS on my phone thanks to the new Google and Mapquest apps. They do feature voice navigation, but I need to get some kind of mount like my dedicated GPS so I'm not glancing down at the console.

Ultimately, I don't like to do it (but I do) because I HATE people who jabber on their cell phones and don't watch what they are doing. They exhibit very noticeable behaviors. They drive below the speed limit because they think that is safer. They usually miss the light changing to green. They tend to swerve back and forth just a bit. I can see how dangerous this behavior is, so I try to behave accordingly. I don't normally take long drives, and I really don't HAVE to be in contact with anyone while I drive, so it's easy for me to avoid using my smartphone,

But I do... rarely... and I don't like it.

Collapse -
VMS-Video Messaging Service
by mic_goraya / January 27, 2013 12:47 PM PST
In reply to: Occasionally

yessss i use

while driving Happy

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.