Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Poll: Do you use Windows System Restore?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / March 22, 2013 8:46 AM PDT
Do you use Windows System Restore?

-- Yes, I use it quite often.
-- Yes, I use it occasionally.
-- Yes, but I hardly ever use it.
-- No, because it is useless.
-- No, because I take care of my system.
-- No, because it doesn't work.
-- I don't use Windows.
-- Other. (What is it?)

Vote here:
http://forums.cnet.com/2706-21566_102-2133.html
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poll: Do you use Windows System Restore?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poll: Do you use Windows System Restore?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why I hardly ever use system restore in Windows
by bill_patton / March 22, 2013 11:59 AM PDT

More times than not I've found that for whatever reason System Restore just decides not to work whenever you need it. It's always at a crucial time, something crashed, a virus is running crazy destroying files and that's when System Restore decides not to work. I give it one try and then I stick in the clone of the drive and re-clone the clone to the back drive after re-booting with the clone and formatting the bad system drive.

I have restore points set, but it really seems useless; I can count on one hand the number of times it has worked.

The method I use, is to use Seagate Disc Wizard to make a clone of the system drive to another small drive. I used to have 750 gb to 1 tb drives as system drives, and now I've changed to 80-100 gb SSD's for the system drive only. Anything else like music, converted video files, etc. is saved on other drives. About a week after the latest Windows updates are installed, I refresh the clones to include the latest Windows updates if everything is running smoothly by using a USB 3.0 dock. Once the clone is made, it's removed from the dock, and shelved. I don't leave it in the computer to be possibly be written over or corrupted. These clones are usually a 80 - 160 gb sata II drive; it doesn't have to be fancy it just has to work. Then if the system becomes corrupted it's no problem, nothing but the most recent info needs to be redone. By not storing any daily work on the system drive very little new data would be lost.

Works for me, Seagate Disc Wizard is a free download from Seagate, and all you have to have is ONE drive in your computer that is Seagate and it will work. Hope that helps. For some reason there are times when Disc Wizard will not clone to a USB 2.0 dock, but it will always work with a drive using a motherboard sata connection.

Collapse -
I use it occasionally
by wpgwpg / March 22, 2013 12:08 PM PDT

I don't need it very often, but when I do, it almost always works well for me. However I don't leave it to chance so I have Norton Ghost make a full system backup weekly with incremental backups every 4 hours. I've been using it since it was first available with Windows ME about a dozen years ago. I don't understand why some people have problems with it, but then I'm careful what sites I go to and what I download.

Collapse -
Perfect For Corrupted Windows Updates
by Hovi1768 / March 22, 2013 2:28 PM PDT

This is where system restore shines.
Many don't realize that every time we get an update from windows
or for any software for that matter we are depending on the stream
There are times where information is lost in that stream because it cannot be perfect.
This is where I love to use system restore.
I just do this before every windows update

http://windows.microsoft.com/is-is/windows7/create-a-restore-point

Then if there is a problem after the update
I start in safe mode then Start button then right in search box type rstrui.exe
Bingo..
Works great!

Many times people will have all kinds of funky problems after an update & never put 2 & 2 together.
If you use this method it keeps you aware & always prepared for a bad update.

Collapse -
Always create a point before installing software
by wobblyo / March 22, 2013 6:39 PM PDT

I always create a restore point before installing software or making changes to important settings, eg. graphics. On several occasions I have found this invaluable, either because I screwed the settings up, or the software has made changes I don't like, or installed something additional and when I uninstall the changes are still there. A quick restore and everything is back as I left it. Not used often, but when you need it, you need it and it's there!! Going back a few years it was the restore option that caused me to fork out for Windows Me!!

Collapse -
System Restore is imperfect but useful.
by harster / March 23, 2013 9:10 AM PDT

It usually works like it should, but once I got the "could not restore" message. It always says "data has not been affected", but sometimes it has been. One program's data is usually left about a week behind it's current status and other quirky things happen from time to time - so I avoid using it when possible but sometimes one just has to bite the bullet. It makes sense to use checkdisc and system file checker before doing a restore.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.