Storage

General discussion

Poll: Do you trust cloud storage services to store your important data?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / March 2, 2012 6:26 AM PST
Do you trust cloud storage services to store your important data?

-- Yes. (Tell us why?)
-- No. (Why not?)
-- I'm undecided. (Please explain.)
-- Are you talking about the weather? (Read about it here)
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poll: Do you trust cloud storage services to store your important data?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poll: Do you trust cloud storage services to store your important data?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It is One of those "Depends" Issues

If this is a private or hybrid cloud, yes, I give it a certain amount of trust, but I also don't trust anything out on the Internet anyway. It also depends on what is is: vacation photos? recipes? yes. a new novel? a new non-fiction work? A complaint about why we should overthrow our government (hiya, DHS), no, of course not. Would I put out my biography? Probably not.

The "Golden Rule" is that, if you don't want people to see it, kepp it away from the Internet.

So how about the public clouds? This is the last time I'll say this (OK, maybe not): READ the PRIVACY Statement and the Terms of Service carefully. Will they guarantee your uploads and files are safe from anyone looking at them? Do they have machines or human beings reading them? Do they pass your information on to the government (like Tweets get sent to the Department of Homeland Security)? Do they say that you must have the full rights to your work with enough rights to give the cloud provider complete acces to your documents? Are you required to allow them to view, modify, abstract and even PUBLICLY DISPLAY your documents? Google says they need those rights to perform service for you. Do they really need that? Do you really want to give away those rights?

What about content? It's one thing to put your shopping list for your spose up there. It's another thing to put criminal records of celebrities on the service. It's also another thing if you are sharing personally identifiable information of a MEDICAL nature on the cloud. If the cloud provider can read all of your uploads, is that a HIPPA or HITECH violation? Those cost a lot of money. Remember, that many public clouds have been hacked. Google had their password software stolen. Dropbox was hacked and over 100 accounts had their data compromised.

So, my answer is that I would not use public clouds unless it is my data I don't care about (my blood sugar is generally in the range of 80-160 if you need to know) or maybe pictures of my cat.

Collapse -
I agree
by mwooge / March 2, 2012 11:11 AM PST

I agree. If it's out on someone else's hard drive, it's not private.

Collapse -
HIPPA
by sju75 / March 4, 2012 8:29 PM PST

It is not a HIPPA violation if it is YOUR medical information and you agree to let anyone read it. It IS a HIPPA violation if you put someone else's medical information out there without their consent.

Collapse -
Yes, ...

The cloud provides arguably better security and recoverability than I can provide at home. I live in Central Texas (wildfire, drought, flash flood, tornado); near a creek, a pipeline, a railroad track, and a highway; no data center, not geographically dispersed, limited physical security, minimal redundancy. But I like it here. A lot. So I'll back everything up in the cloud. Somewhere.

Bob Meyer

Collapse -
Cloud Services are not secure!

I am a Technician (and a strange one at that too) and i can give you my findings on internet security, its nonexistent! All these innovative means of storage might sound good to business people looking to cut cost etc but nothing is secure where data is concerned especially if its on the internet. Anything on the net can be hacked, its just a matter of time and regardless of encryption bits etc. For the same reason i will never become a verified member of PayPal by means of providing my banking information to them...go figure it out.

Everything is treacherous...even machines!

Collapse -
Cloud storage are secure
by bodhost / March 2, 2012 9:42 PM PST

Cloud storage are secure in terms of hardware security and software security depends upon your cloud hosting provider and the setup they have build for your cloud storage...

Collapse -
Cloud? New name, old Tech

Business servers have --NEVER-- been hacked, have they?

Essentially 'The Cloud' is a server farm that is willing to offer you an allegedly random space for you to hide aunt Clara's wedding photos in case you have any kind of natural (or unnatural) disaster, or are unwilling/unable to replace/upgrade your own storage space.

IT IS NO MORE SECURE THAN THE INTER-WEB IN GENERAL. Plus, CYBERSPACE IS FOREVER!

My solution is two computers...one for 'net' work, and the other for personal with a 2Tb external storage that gets removed and put into a fire-proof safe when through. Always reasonably cheap to upgrade, and I have no one to blame but myself for any issues...but viruses can't migrate if they never touch the 'highway'. Anything I need from the internet gets printed from comp A, then re-scanned into comp B's storage.

Funny thing is: a simple de-frag is all comp B needs to speed up again...Bonus!

L-8-R-B.

Collapse -
Do you trust cloud storage services to store your important

Not one bit, or byte. I have no idea who is managing the cloud servers. Why would I trust complete strangers? I don't even know where they're located? Thanks, but I'd rather rely on my own capabilities to store my info.

Collapse -
COOL

yes, it is so cool.

Collapse -
a Big Time YES to Private Cloud Storage services

I completely agree and why not. The cloud trends are a big cover story these days whereas a lot of folks saying that its responsible for the dying physical PC trend but then again who needs that when you can have a direct and private complete access to your storage from any place anywhere just with a help of an internet connection. I personally would would recommend private cloud storage services than public ones. Any product or service is not yours if you do not have a private access to it. Some good examples are Nimbula, goGrid, dinCloud and Rackspace.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.