Laptops forum

General discussion

Poll: Do you think that all laptops will eventually have touch screens on them?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / December 12, 2012 1:40 AM PST

To give you some context to this poll, read this CNET blog: Three reasons a Windows 8 laptop leads, MacBook lags

Do you think that all laptops will eventually have touch screens on them?

-- Yes. (Why are you so certain?)
-- Maybe. (Please explain.)
-- No. (Why not?)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poll: Do you think that all laptops will eventually have touch screens on them?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poll: Do you think that all laptops will eventually have touch screens on them?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Laptops should have a keyboard AND touch screen

A touch interface is much better than using a mouse. A stylus should be an option for those who precision editing (such as video or photos, and a keyboard should be there for those who work on their laptop more than play. There are at least two or three times a day that I wish I could just touch the screen to open a program instead of having to use a mouse. But I don't want to have only the touch screen, we should be able to have one device that can work with a keyboard if desired, mouse if desired, stylus if desired, and touchscreen if desired. Computers are multipurpose devices, and the more input methods the better it works for the variety of recreational and business uses we have for them.

Collapse -
Touchscreen?

I know for a fact that all laptops will NOT eventually have touchscreens as this one doesn't now and will never in the future!

Collapse -
Am hoping this doesn't happen

I'll echo another participant; touch screens are too glitchy. If I'm using my Mac or my Windows desktop there's a definite protocol and expected objectivity. I'm baffled by the iPad my wife uses; simply breathe wrong and whatever you create is gone and I have no idea where it is. Apple made a big mistake not allowing some of us to have an instruction manual. If I'm doing real number crunching or text I can't afford to be losing that material.
So I'm hoping that we'd still be able to opt for either a touch screen or more stable platform, not just touch screen.

Collapse -
Not my laptop

Touchscreen is a gimmick, absolutely useless for somebody who uses his computer for work.I already hate the touchscreen on my cell phone. Innovation has to make sense, this one does not. If laptops all get touchscreen, I will give up on laptops

Collapse -
laptops will eventually have touch screens?

Why do I think they will you may ask. It's simple : People keep touching them.

Collapse -
Laptops ABSOLUTELY MUST have ALL tech accessibility!!

As an educational consultant who works with a variety of able-bodied AND handicapped students and adults, I am a HUGE proponent for ALL laptops being provided with technology accessibility that would suit and make the vast growth in assistive technology available for everyone. Touch screens would also allow those with fine hand or finger manipulation better access; especially if one cannot manipulate a mouse. Although I agree that touch screens are NOT something everyone may enjoy (for obvious reasons), the alternative use of a stylus (as another poster suggested) is always an option for providing equal accessibility too. Again, I am personally all for equal access as everyone may benefit from techie tools available in this century and beyond that were not accommodations for us in the baby-boomer generation. I also must mention that having 3 teenage children of my own, I am amazed at the motivation new technology and accessibility allows even the most challenged or more lethargic student! I have personally experienced the most challenged students become highly motivated and rise to the challenge of working through their specific difficulties when presented with an iPad or hi-tech tool that they see as a new toy! Yes the initial excitement wear-offs (as w/any new "toy"), but the ultimate marketing czar behind tracking when sales decline then offer a new "accessory" to draw the masses back for addt'l sales and will again encourage students! I've also learned from the younger generation that technology continues to advance at this pace because students and young adults alike are NOT intimidated with continuously seeking and trying out new advancements that teach more time efficient management that propel us forward; unlike (sorry to say!) some of us from former generations that perhaps are a bit more intimidated or less likely to "roll with the punches"!

Collapse -
Well if you look at the laptops now

with touch screen most are under 14". Acer is like the only on that has touch on their 15"+ laptops. I was reading somewhere about touch adding around 60 dollars to the price of the laptop and the ultra's are adding touch and offsetting by having no optical drive. But I think the ultrabooks don't have the room for optical drives. I do think touch is here to stay especially in the all in ones.

Collapse -
Laptops, Desktops/Monitors - they should all be touchscreen

It's rather amusing that Acer and HP have got the drop on Apple putting out touchscreen Laptops first. I felt sure that Apple was going to announce that all new MacBooks would be touchscreen as soon as they released OSX 10.7 (Lion), but here they are, on 10.8 and still no touchscreen from them.

As for the Poll: Everything should have been touchscreen within 6 months of the first iPad being released as far as I'm concerned. It's really annoying going to my laptop after spending a day using a Tablet and the first thing I try to do is open an app by touching the display! Our phones and now tablets have been touchscreen for years. I've used a touchscreen monitor for my desktop for 4 years, I put a touchscreen display on a Netbook I owned a few years ago, and still, touchscreen's on Laptops aren't standard.

As for 4G - it's a nice idea, but not practical with 4G setups from carriers at present. I'll stick with my mobile wifi thingy. I turn it on and it sits in my backpack. It only costs me $99 a year and I get 12GB a year data allowance (which I've never completely used any year in the 3 years I've had it). Besides, I use my tablet mostly when I'm away from the office - I only take the laptop when I'm travelling.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.