Phones

General discussion

Poll: Do you think BlackBerry has fighting chance?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / February 5, 2013 8:08 AM PST

To give you some perspective to this poll, read this CNET blog: Friday Poll: Will the Z10 save BlackBerry?

Do you think BlackBerry has fighting chance in the smartphone market?

-- Yes. (Why?)
-- Maybe. (Why the uncertainty?)
-- No. (Why not?)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poll: Do you think BlackBerry has fighting chance?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poll: Do you think BlackBerry has fighting chance?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sure, but it'll be an uphill struggle
by wpgwpg / February 5, 2013 8:36 AM PST

They've still got a base of loyal fans. It's smaller than it once was, but they're still there. Technology is a fickle fast changing business, but any company willing to innovate and fight for market share has a shot.

Collapse -
Yes. But...
by netsiu / February 5, 2013 10:24 PM PST

I agree with wpgwpg

Collapse -
Maybe - Why the uncertainty?
by dancoiv / February 5, 2013 9:29 AM PST

Unfortunately, BlackBerry's story reminds me an awful lot like PalmOne.

Palm was fantastic, but they lost ground too. When Palm came out with a completely new OS to respark their old glory their new OS was very good, better than iOS and Android in many ways, but they lost their customer base. Sound familiar? Before their OS was out long enough to gain any traction, it was gobbled up and spit out by another company (I won't name names, but their initial were HP) and Palm is no longer remembered by many. I fear the same will happen with BlackBarry, but one can hope they fair well.

Collapse -
I miss my Palm.
by RoseNelson2011 / February 5, 2013 11:25 PM PST

My Palm Pilot from YEARS and YEARS ago, would sync with Outlook, had a back lit book reader that even auto paged if I wanted it to and made phone calls. I can't even get my new Windows phones to do all that. It is too bad that Palm had great technology but such poor management that they got lost. If Palm came back, I would certainly be looking at them. Customer service from ANYWHERE related to phones would be a big draw.
My Blackberry was only adequate and didn't have good customer service.

Collapse -
no chance at all.
by ancrom / February 5, 2013 9:36 AM PST

the paid reviewers have already stacked the deck against them. the moment the z10 came out their shares went down, no sales data had been released, this is a pure and simple attempt to crush blackberry so that their patent library can be bought for a fraction of its worth. someone wants to pick blackberry's bones.

Collapse -
There is insufficient innovation
by feduchin / February 5, 2013 9:39 AM PST

I haven't studied BlackBerry's offerings in detail, but I see little innovation to attract people away from iPhone, Samsung, Windows, Nokia..
Palm offered more with their 'gesture' ability, which has actually never been replicated by any smartphone manufacturer to this day. But they were bought up by HP who promptly decided there was no future even for those clever smartphones.
Thus even though webOS (devised by Palm) was truly innovative and and unmatched to this day, it still failed. So what hope is there for a company who really offer nothing of special interest?
BlackBerry should be developing other technology very seriously if they want to service as a company.

Collapse -
Nah
by FonDog / February 7, 2013 12:00 AM PST

I don't see it. Back when they were relevant, their biggest pros were security and BBM. Now all of the major OS' are considered to be secure enough to use on a corporate network (maybe not for all but for most though some may require some special settings and stuff). And who is on BBM anymore?

I think the ship has sailed and their 15 minutes are up.

Collapse -
no free apps!
by ludedude25 / February 8, 2013 9:02 AM PST

What I think was killing the Blackberry was the lack of all the free apps and games that android and iphone's offer.

Why when it was time to upgrade would you go back to a phone you have to pay for so many apps?
Yea most of them are trials and full of ads but people like free.
Also some of there touch screen blackberry's were having screen issues and other various issues. If they would have jumped in the game, made thinner touch screens models, with free apps a few years ago they would probably still be running strong.

That and you can wifi tether a whole lot easier then it was with blackberry.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.