Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Poll. Do you store Website log-in credentials in your browsers?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / September 28, 2012 8:44 AM PDT
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poll. Do you store Website log-in credentials in your browsers?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poll. Do you store Website log-in credentials in your browsers?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
need more options or a write-in
by danneauxs / September 28, 2012 11:17 AM PDT

None of the above is my answer.

I run a VM linux (puppy) on my XP system. I only really use it to make purchases on the web or log into important accounts. I do store usernames & passwords there. I also store them when I'm not running the VM but only for things like forums etc. which I probably have close to a hundred subscriptions (not that I use them often but you have to sign up for everything these days.)

Collapse -
Credentials in Browsers.
by Ron Geiken / September 28, 2012 2:13 PM PDT

Most modern browsers will not let you store passwords for financial web sites, and that is good practice. I have special passwords for these sites. If you regularly go to dozens of web sites on a regular basis, I will be very difficult to have to remember a password for all of these sites. If it is a site where the use of my money could be compromised, I certainly don't want that information on my computer. My Credit Union site has a pseudo name for the account number, and the the password that I use is not on my computer. Additionally when I get to the site, I have to supply 3 more passwords to get on. I have never had my site compromised with all this added security. If someone knows my account number, that is not adequate to log on the on line site. They would have to know the pseudo account number that I use. I can only view my brokerage site and not make any type of transaction or request there. The balance of my sites use passwords that I store on the browser, since they are only asking for the password to know who is visiting. That is entered automatically. I am more worried about hackers breaking into sites like Amazon and Pay Pal where some of my financial information is stored. I have to manually enter passwords for those sites though. I have never had any problems, but I am never careless about releasing information.

Collapse -
I do, but with security
by anapro / September 28, 2012 2:20 PM PDT

When possible, I will save login info with the browser. However, my whole PC is password protectd using Truecrypt. I feel that Truecrypt then gives me the protection I need.

Collapse -
Poll. Do you store Website log-in credentials in your browse
by Migiman / September 29, 2012 8:19 AM PDT

Only on my general browser and NEVER on any site needing financial/credit card information!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.