Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Poll: Do you plan to install Windows 7?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / October 23, 2009 8:12 AM PDT
Microsoft Windows 7 is available now. Do you plan to install Windows 7?

- Yes, I'm going to upgrade from Vista.
- Yes, I'm going to upgrade from XP.
- Yes, I'm going to install it on my Mac.
- Yes, I'm going to purchase a new computer with Windows 7 installed.
- No, I'm going to stick with Vista. (Please explain why.)
- No, I'm going to stick with XP. (Please explain why.)
- I don't do Windows.
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poll: Do you plan to install Windows 7?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poll: Do you plan to install Windows 7?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Three computers with XP
by rgfitz / October 23, 2009 9:26 AM PDT

I have three computers running XP and two of them are too old to run Windows 7. I will stick with XP until the computers fail because I prefer to have all my computers running the same OS.

My daughter does technical data handling at Microsoft. The other day I asked her what operating system she uses at work. She said XP Pro.

Collapse -
Windows 7
by MENINBLK / October 23, 2009 9:36 AM PDT

I work for the USPS and we are also running Windows XP PRO on the majority of PCs and automated equipment.

At home I will be upgrading all my PCs to Windows 7 only because I work for myself in the Personal Computing field.

What makes you say an old PC can't be upgraded to Windows 7?
You should at least run the upgrade advisor on it.
You might be surprised at what Windows 7 might do for it.

I have a netbook that was running Windows XP Home.
I upgraded it to Windows XP PRO and I will be upgrading it
to Windows 7 Ultimate.
I am not expecting lightning fast performance, but I am still expecting the same performance I got in Windows XP.
I just want the bells and whistles available to me that are in Windows 7.

Collapse -
Concerning Win XP & Win 7.
by vcooper1 / October 23, 2009 3:46 PM PDT
In reply to: Windows 7

Business will always be business.
Vista is horrible as per alot of people & web sites. Well, Win 7 is just Vista revamped in my opinion. Just about everyone got used to XP & many Tech Support agencies are getting less calls. Therefore, it's time for Operating System software writers to make a new OS to once again confuse us all over again in order to make more money. Win 7 is available now & Microsoft is already talkng about Windows 8 for 2010.
What does this tell you or suggest? If software development companies are smart, they will do what they always do & continue to support the use of Win XP untill they have no other choice but not to use it. The same goes for us all. Use it untill you no longer can.
Microsoft can always try to make us buy a new OS every 2 years now if there's any truth about Win 8 in 2010. I did read that online.
I mean they just came out with Win 7 & there's talk of 8 already.
I just read online in a couple of forums that alot of people already think Win 7 will fail & won't be here that long either because it's too much like Vista,& basically has the same features & more. It is alot faster & tricky to use. That's why people who got used to XP will stay with it untill they can't. A perfect example is how many people coninued to use Win 98 long after it was no longer supported.
You can do this as long as software continues to use an OS.
Microsoft or any other OS writer can make as many Operating systems as they want. It's up to the software developer to continue the support of the OS untill they can't. I know it's a never ending cycle.

Collapse -
I'll stick with current OS's and not buy Windows 7
by dranneb / October 23, 2009 10:14 AM PDT

Currently there are 4 computers (2 laptops, 1 mini-laptop & 1 desktop) in our household. One laptop & the mini run XP Pro; the other laptop has XP home; the desktop came with Vista. Of the 3, I prefer XP Pro, as Vista is a problem. I refuse to spend more money upgrading-will do so only if a computer needs to be replaced & it comes with Windows 7.

Collapse -
Will stick with XP for now
by pamelad / October 23, 2009 11:42 AM PDT

Will your daughter upgrade the machine she uses for Microsoft work running XP Pro to Windows 7, rgfitz?

As for me, I'm planning to stick with XP Pro for quite a while. Windows 7 sounds fun, but not worth the expense and installation time when XP Pro does what I need it to do. I plan to wait until my computer is hopelessly outdated to get Windows 7 on a new machine.

Collapse -
I like my xp profesional windows xp!
by Old jazz lover / October 23, 2009 12:26 PM PDT

Well I don?t have money to buy, each version of windows, Xp for me work?s very well. Aanother order of Ideas, my p.c. aare old pentium IV, and in My Country Microsoft don?t sales, any upgrading sofware. You need to buy the for example windows 7...................

Collapse -
I also will be sticking with XP.
by sbill / October 23, 2009 1:35 PM PDT

All of my computers are running Windows XP, and even though they are "capable" of running Windows Vista or Windows 7, I just don't see the benefit of "upgrading". And evidently I'm not the only person who sees things this way. I am able to do everything I need to do on Windows XP, and with years of usage I know all the "tricks" and pitfalls. So why on Earth would I want to spend money to purchase a new operating system, then invest significant time and effort learning the new UI, and for what? To continue doing what I am already doing with Windows XP?

Until the day comes when some "killer app" is released that won't run on XP, I just don't see most people shelling out the bucks to upgrade--at least not from Windows XP.

Now people who have already had Vista shoved down their throat and are tired of using it probably WILL shell out to buy Windows 7. However this segment of the market will not be as big as Microsoft hopes, because the number of people that bought Vista was much less than they had expected.

The vast majority of PC users--including myself and my family--will keep using Windows XP until it's no longer supported.

Collapse -
you are dead on
by pasqualle / November 4, 2009 12:14 PM PST

I am stuck with a laptop and desktop running vista , so I shelled out the money for win 7 just to get rid of vista,, both are less than a year old. If I had it to do over again I would stick with xp pro.

Collapse -
upgrading to windows 7
by blondegirl6 / October 23, 2009 5:27 PM PDT

Since I have 4 computers (a Mac, one with Vista, 2 with XP) I find it hilarious that your daughter works at MS and is using XP Pro. It works great for me and it is mandatory for me to use with my work at home programs. I will probably upgrade the Vista eventually since it is not user friendly and takes forever to do things, but I do like the looks of the desktop with Vista). Happy

Collapse -
Was goona ride ride XP til the final Update.
by 3JGProductions / October 25, 2009 7:38 PM PDT

Was goona ride XP til microsoft, cutoff, updates. This day is not to far off. I read in PC World magazine article in June 2008, that Microsoft will cut off all support in 2010 for Window XP, making it obsolete. The cutoff Hour is near. My initial reaction was to try Windows Vista, I tried it in 2009, for one week and scraped it, re-installed XP, been a user since 2003. Now have I excepted the fact, that Microsoft is forcing US to change, it took me 3 years to realize what this Operating System Giant was up to. When you Invent, Invent and Invent new products, you get new customers and your profits increase. Its all about money. Regardless if XP users buy Windows 7 the market share of new computer buyers will increase. I thought it it would cost a lot, however, to install Windows 7 on three computers it only cost $149 (Family Pack), and you must pay for upgrade of your PCI bus cards, and other programs deemed obsolete, by the Windows 7 Upgrade Analyzer. I have excepted the fact, its a New Era!

Collapse -
It works!
by NedG / October 23, 2009 9:38 AM PDT

Collapse -
I Will Buy a New Computer Soon
by GradyPhilpott / October 23, 2009 9:43 AM PDT

XP does everything I need and I know how it works. All my peripherals work with it, too.

My PC is almost six years old, so it wouldn't work well with either Vista or W7.

I'm not going to press my luck with this computer for very much longer, so I will be buying a new computer within about six months and then I will be forced to go with 7.

I'm sure I will adapt as I have done before, but I really don't see why I should have to, really.

I'd keep my old HP forever, but I know that systems fail and there's no use pushing the envelope too far.

Collapse -
What do you call an Old Computer.
by 3JGProductions / October 26, 2009 5:54 AM PDT

Lets look into it! Well, there are 2003-04, 2006-07, 2008-09 technologies, in Motherboard specifications, installed on your computer, are not that much different. According to law, which is, TCP/IP (Tranmission Conrol Protocal and Internet Protocal), their (Operating Systems) must work on all computers. They may tell you you need new this and new that, however, it will work. Peripheral inventors(ATI-AMD and others) has the SPECs to Windows 7, and in collaboration with Microsoft will updgrade, to make more money. Why spend money buying the same or so called new computer, having the same features as 2006-07-08-09 technology. That is what most people do, and that is what the computer manufacturers want, is more sales.

Collapse -
This feels like the software version of carjacking
by EdmundDelSol / October 23, 2009 9:44 AM PDT

I bought a new laptop about 6 months ago and getting it with XP was impossible from the store, and equally impossible for me to do manually due to the warranty consequences if I reverted. So I had Vista shoved down my throat. Now I must pay for Windows 7 to **get rid** of Vista which I definitely want to do. Ughhh!

Collapse -
No carjacked feeling here
by rbsjrx / October 23, 2009 3:33 PM PDT

Consider the differences between Windows (any version) and Linux. A new version of Ubuntu Linux is about to be released (version 9.10). It will be free. All of the old software will still work and even if it does change, it will mostly be free as well.

Linux will do almost anything that Windows can do with only a few exceptions. What Linux can't do is make you feel like a victim! Mac shares most of Linux's virtues except the not feeling like a victim part (Macs and their software are bloody expensive and Apple is always trying to sell you more proprietary products).

For these reasons, along with the superior security and reliability of Linux, I don't plan on ever spending another dime on Microsoft (or Apple) products.

Collapse -
Software version of carjacking
by citrws / October 24, 2009 4:49 AM PDT

I too purchased my computer a HP desk top and of cause it came with Vista. All the suppliers claimed it was the bees knees. Now after less than two years, in which many have had problems galore and the number of updates is beyond belief. But do Microsoft offer any consolation to us NO!. They expect us to spend another

Collapse -
Its you computer, MAN UP, warranty shouldn't be a factor.
by 3JGProductions / October 26, 2009 6:32 AM PDT

To:EdmundDelSol: Most of these High Tech machines out-last the warranty anyway! Load anything you want on your computer. You puchased it to suit you. Vista to XP shouldn't be a problem. I tried Windows Vista Business, hated it, trashed it and re-installed old faithful XP. I would like to know what store shoved this computer down your throat, when, there are stores up and down the Internet, that would have gotten the Operating System you wanted. Just in case you would now want to install Windows 7 on three computer, there is Windows 7 Home Premium (Family Pack), cost $149. Thats what I will do, since, Microsoft will cease supporting Windows XP in 2010.

Collapse -
by MrOllyK / November 5, 2009 2:55 PM PST

Which is why, if I buy a new puter from Dell, I can ask it to be delivered OS free (I hope). The customer's always right.. Right?

Collapse -
Windows XP
by brasskey1 / October 23, 2009 9:47 AM PDT

My desktop PC crashed. I just couldn't face Vista or anymore issues that I've encountered much less the unknown of Windows 7 so I got an iMac. I still have a laptop PC and I run XP on it. My laptop was loaded down with embedded programs I don't use, and I still am having to work around some that I haven't been able to resolve. I'm very much of a pragmatist when it comes to operating systems. So I don't get involved with being a "Mac person" or a "PC person." You guys do a great job helping resolve issues. Thanks. Bill

Collapse -
Upgrade from Vista Ultimate?
by Zeppo / October 23, 2009 9:50 AM PDT

No. Not in the near future due to the cost of the Win7 Ultimate upgrade - Microsoft just wants too much! Besides, my Vista Ultimate (64-bit) is working great on my PC.

Maybe I will upgrade later when, and if, the price comes down.

We are in hard economic times and the only company that doesn't seem aware of that is Microsoft! The company is just too greedy.

Collapse -
Update to Windows 7
by bnmiller2 / October 23, 2009 7:54 PM PDT

I have 3 laptops all running XP Pro. They work great and do everything I want them to do. All of them are 5-6 years old and still work like they did from day 1. Why would I buy Windows 7 for $200-$300 and probably have to buy a new computer to handle it? I will wait until I have to buy a new computer and it comes with Windows 7.

Collapse -
Sticking with Vista and XP
by MAC3844 / October 23, 2009 9:53 AM PDT

I have two older XP machines and will stick with them for now as they aren't used for much. My three other computers all run Vista and work fine. If it isn't broken, I'm reluctant to make any changes. I get one free copy of Windows 7 for a fairly new laptop with Vista and I'm torn with making the change on that machine.

Collapse -
No Windows 7 for me
by Logan Cooke / October 23, 2009 9:56 AM PDT

I downloaded the Windows 7 check your system program and the results were not to my liking. Even though my PC is Vista ready it currently runs XP Media Center at 32 bit versus 64 bit even though I have the Athlon 64 bit processor and 3 gb ram. The checker says that I will need to upgrade a lot of things so I might as well wait til Windows 7 really is proven then buy a new system maybe in two years.

Collapse -
Yup, yup, yup!
by Tech Boy Stevo / October 23, 2009 1:37 PM PDT
In reply to: No Windows 7 for me

Sticking with Vista - which has been great since SP1 or 2. Let others debug a purchased product from MS. Not me. I can still run software from 1995 on Vista! (You wanna relive that nightmare again???)

Collapse -
Sticking with XP
by forbein / October 23, 2009 10:00 AM PDT

I'm sticking with xp because it's too much hassle changing. Had I known the vista upgrade would be so much easier, I would have ordered my laptop with vista. I'll just buy a new machine in a year or two anyway.

Collapse -
Going iMac
by sgeels / October 23, 2009 2:23 PM PDT
In reply to: Sticking with XP

I'm staying with XP for a couple more months and then switching to the iMac. I'm fed up with the Microsoft problems.

Collapse -
Evil emmpires
by rbsjrx / October 23, 2009 2:45 PM PDT
In reply to: Going iMac

Going to iMac?!? That's trading one evil empire for another! Admittedly, Macs are more secure and reliable, but then so is Linux but it's free and runs on almost any PC hardware. Like you, I'm migrating away from Windows, but I'm moving to Linux.

Collapse -
Do You Plan To Install Windows 7 ?
by jessue / October 23, 2009 10:01 AM PDT

At this time I think I will just sit back for a few months to see how Windows 7 shakes out. My computer is nine years old and I currrently have Windows XP. If, and that is a IF, it looks like Windows 7 is the way to go , I would probably buy a new computer with Windows 7 already installed. At this time I am in no hurry to make any changes ! Thank you!

Collapse -
Why upgrade(update?)
by Irelands child / October 23, 2009 10:03 AM PDT

I have XP Pro on my laptop and XP Home Edition (my error in pushing the order button) on my desk top. The laptop is probably too old to do 7 but the desk top is fairly newly built with lots of goodies inside.

To switch to 7 is like switching vehicles just because it has a few more bells and whistles and besides that, the Jones family have a new one and we all NEED to keep up with them. Most of those "improvements" will never be seen nor felt by most XP users.

I'll probably switch when (if?) I do more upgrades to the desk top --- in a year or so.

Now, if I had Vista, there would not be any hesitation to go to 7.

Collapse -
by BunnyBuns / October 23, 2009 10:06 AM PDT

I hesitate to upgrade from Vista. For years, I upgraded whenever a new OS came out. Sometimes I'd install the upgrade, sometimes some IT friend would. No matter how well I prepared ahead of time, several software programs stopped working, several files became inaccessible, peripherals wouldn't be recognized, enough would go wrong that it was better to roll back to the previous OS. My last PC and laptop had XP pre-installed, and I stuck with XP until they failed. Now I've got two laptops running Vista. There are things I don't like about it, but I can say the same about every OS I've used. Most importantly, both laptops work beautifully. I rarely, if ever, have problems with them (knock on wood, they're THE best computers I've ever used, at home or work), I see no reason to fix what ain't broken, so I'll stick with Vista. When it's time to replace one or both laptops, I'll just go with whatever OS is current at that time.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.