Samsung forum

General discussion

POLL: Do you own a PLASMA or LCD?

by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 9, 2009 9:43 AM PDT

Forum members,

A few members in the past several weeks have asked the question many of you have asked yourselves before making a decision:

<b>Plasma or LCD?

What did you choose?
Why did you choose it?
Are you happy with your decision?
If you could, would you go back and buy the other? (Why or why not?)</b>

(Let's not go too much into features, but discuss the actual panels, and the benefits, likes, dislikes, etc.)

Discuss...... Happy

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: POLL: Do you own a PLASMA or LCD?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: POLL: Do you own a PLASMA or LCD?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How do you vote?
by biggweilo / May 9, 2009 9:30 PM PDT

I went a LCD Series 9.

Before I had decided on the series 9, I had decided on a LCD for 4 main reasons

1. I had concerns about the half life. i've seen older plasma's and thought the colour was terrible on them. While I expect that they have improved them, was not convinced.

2. Plasma's run very hot, especially when you get close to the screen. in my experience, electrical devices that run hot do not have a long life.

3. Warranty, I noticed that you could not buy a plasma with more than 1 years factory warranty, whereas there were a few options with LCD that gave 3 years warranty.

4. To be honest, i could not notice any major differences in picture quality by looking at a plasma or LCD. Often I'd have to read the label or feel for heat, thus I didn't feel like I would be getting any great benefit from a plasma other than getting a slight saving, which was not worth my piece of mind.

That brings me to why I chose the series 9.

I very nearly bought a 52 inch Bravia. My only reservation was it is a bit smaller than I wanted. The only real local alternative I had for the price was a 60 inch LG plasma, Which was a plasma. I had read a few very favourable reviews for the Series 9, but none of my local retailers had them in stock at the time (it was near christmas). I found a retailer that had the 55 inch model and was blown away by the quality of picture, I cant tell the difference between plasma and LCD, or (100hz and 200hz for that matter) but the series 9 stood out by a mile. When I found out about its DLNA capabilities and 3yr warranty, I was sold!

I have absolutely no regrets comparing what is on the market today and am very satisfied with my decision, however, there are a few irritating issues that I live with - DLNA could use an overhaul and the full TV guide takes an eternity to load - but these issues I can live with for the increased picture quality.

Collapse -
Pioneer KURO PDP-6020FD 60" Plasma TV
by numan2good / May 19, 2009 5:56 AM PDT
In reply to: How do you vote?

hey man i have read ur post........i think u need the best..then y dont u look out for...Pioneer KURO PDP-6020FD 60" Plasma TV
it has........Colors are so pure, they gush with their own emotions.

Prepare yourself for the new world of the Pioneer KURO PDP-6020FD High-Definition 1080p Flat Panel Television.

Brace yourself for a home entertainment experience that will change the way you look at TV forever.

Built with uncompromising attention to detail, in extraordinary and beautiful new ways, the Pioneer KURO PDP-6020FD is a world unlike anything that has ever existed before.

This is a world where everything you see and hear performs in ways previously unimagined.

A new slimmer body profile paves the way to the future....It sounds different too ? thanks to a fully integrated digital amplifier and detachable bottom speaker, improved audio and clarity have become the norm.
u shuld have a look on this beauty

Collapse -
by ajz2020 / June 1, 2009 3:12 PM PDT
In reply to: How do you vote?

Prefer the smooth tones and not the hockey sharpness of the LCD...was surprised there was such a difference... love the blacks, the greys, the flesh tones...action is smooth on the PN50B650 model.

Collapse -
PN50B650 Cinema Smooth ? to ajz2020
by startnqb / June 11, 2009 12:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Plasma

Hi! I'm about to purchase a PN58B650. I was wondering have you ever enabled the cinema smooth on your PN50B650 when watching blu-ray on your ps3? How does it perform? Is there any flickering? Is the picture on the B650 amazing with very little to no flaws? I'm asking you this because there are no reviews of this TV on the net. I will be making my purchase no later than Sunday the 14th. Thanks.

Collapse -
I Went with LCD
by julian1705 / May 10, 2009 9:23 AM PDT

In my search for a new TV, there were only two that made the cut. It was the Sony 52XBR6 and the Samsung LN52A750, both LCDs. I had ruled out plasmas because of the heat they generate. Heat ultimately means death. Also, I was worried about the life of the TV and the eventual fade of the rich color over time.

I bought the Samsung LN52A750

I liked the features of this TV over the Sony. I also felt like the price of the Sony had a premium build in for the Sony brand name, which is not worth a dime in my book. I really like the TOC bezel and the remote.

I have had the TV 5.5 months with no regrets. It is an amazing television. It was virtually perfect right out of the box. I only made some slight changes to a couple of settings. I am very happy with my choice.

Collapse -
LCD for me
by FlappingCrane / May 11, 2009 11:10 AM PDT

I have a Series 5 40" LCD (model LN40A530) that I purchased almost a year ago. I love it. The picture is beautiful, the contrast performance is great, and Blu-ray movies ... gasp!

I chose LCD over plasma mainly because of the power consumption. LCD uses so much less electricity in comparison to a plasma (or CRT for that matter).

Collapse -
by tommygeorge7 / May 11, 2009 5:15 PM PDT
In reply to: LCD for me

I bought both ! 42in PLSMA AND 56in LED DLP ! I HAVE HAD 3 BIG SCREEN F OVERS . I'm now have a 56in SAMSUNG AND 42in PANASONIC PLSMA both great so far . HELL I couldn't be MRXBOX n VAN BC , XBOXLIVES #1 PLAYER EVER !!! The SAMSUNG 3d Gaming TV IS REQUIRED GAMEING EQUIPMENT !!! Ya with out it i'd just be another Old Blind Guy . THX SAMSUNG !!!

Collapse -
by PA_LN46B650 / May 12, 2009 5:23 PM PDT

LCD. I wanted the best mix of performance I could find. With 120hz LN46B650, I can play games with clear no blur picture, sports (again, no blur), TV, movies...all very nice. To me, it seems like plasma is a dieing breed of TV technology. No regrets for me!

Collapse -
by qwipster / May 13, 2009 1:54 PM PDT
In reply to: LCD

I have just replaced my Panasonic 42" plasma TV with a LN46B7000. I like the picture quality of an LCD with close to the screen. The plasma was an ED, not HD, 5 years old and still had an excellent picture. But, the power supply is going south and will occasionally shut off the TV. Made a good excuse to finally step up to HD. I liked that the LED TV's consume less power.

Collapse -
LCD for me
by phugger / May 15, 2009 2:05 AM PDT

46" Series 9 LED backlit LCD
The picture quality is exceptional: 120Hz refresh and high contrast ratio
I'm very happy with this set.
With picture quality this good, why bother with plasma? Plasma is hot and heat kills electronics.

Collapse -
Samsung Led LCD UN55B8000
by unpaidintern / May 15, 2009 5:27 AM PDT

(((What did you choose?)))
I ended up going with the UN55B8000 LED LCD

(((Why did you choose it?)))
Well, after a couple months of painstaking research and going back and forth I decided on LED LCD for a couple reasons.
1. The majority of HD knowlegable people I spoke with said to go LCD for what I want to use it for. Gaming and burn in.
2. The PN58B860 is not yet available to buy from my buddy whom I was getting a substantial discount from. I would have had to wait and I had already been waiting a few months and had the HD fever. The Slim line B860 and B8000 are the choices I had narrowed down.
3. It looked amazing seeing it in the store.
4. Longer Life and better resale value than plasma if I choose to upgrade in the next couple years.
5. Sadly my last deciding factor was the LED LCD environmentally freindly aspect. It was the top of my roomates reasons but honestly it was only an added bonus for my descition and nothing that would have swayed me much. Considering I spent what is a good deal of money it will be a good thing in the long run... oh yeah and good for the environment too.

(((Are you happy with your decision?)))

(((If you could, would you go back and buy the other? (Why or why not?)))
Too soon to tell but out of the choices I had narrowed down I don't think I could have gone wrong either way, both are amazing units.

Collapse -
by smoore955680 / May 16, 2009 9:06 AM PDT

I have a LCD and love it. I bought it because it used less energy.

Collapse -
I went with LCD but Plasma is still nice
by Bullseyestrat / May 16, 2009 10:27 AM PDT

I bought an Olevia LCD 27" tv a couple years back refurbished and recently a Westinghouse 32" lcd.

I bought them both because the price was good (under $360) and I could fit them easily in my setups without it being too big. Plus they went well with my PS3 and 360.

I'm satisfied with those purchases because they did the job and didn't cost an arm and a leg. Honestly though if I were going to get a 42" or bigger tv I'd go with plasma though. My brother has a Panasonic 50" plasma and the movement is smoother and sharper. Not to mention better black levels.

If I were to go back and get a bigger tv, then I would go with a Panasonic or Pioneer plasma. But there is nothing wrong with lcd.

Collapse -
by andrewjr1969 / May 16, 2009 8:45 PM PDT

I have just bought the new 2009 LCD UE46B7020, and can honestly say that after much research including almost buying one of the last of the 786 series LED TV's I am glad I held off for this new 2009 model.

Watching SKY HD is mind blowing, particularly the way you can even adjust the depth of blacks.

My only complaint, and I guess it is due to just how slim the TV is is the sound quality from the integral speakers.

I am looking for a surround sound system, ideally without wires??? Also do not want to spend silly money. Is there anything Samsung sells that is recommended for this set, that does not require "speaker cables"??
Please advise.

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 17, 2009 5:36 PM PDT
In reply to: UE46B7020

We do offer what I call a "less wire" rather than a wireless surround system. Basically, a surround sound system that eliminates the wire going from the receiver in the front all the way to the back - the back two speakers attach to a wireless receiver to two wired rear speakers.

If you give me the country you're in, I can provide some links to the products I'm talking about for your consideration.

Collapse -
LCD's in two rooms
by billy44bo / May 17, 2009 10:52 PM PDT

Had to go with a Samsung 32" LCD in our bedroom to fit the inside of the chest that it sit in . In the family room when with a 52 inch Bravia too much light for a plasma in the room and could not buy a TV that would lose so much so fast like a plasma is known for. My last big screen TV was 13 years old before it had to be replaced.

Collapse -
which one u want?
by numan2good / May 19, 2009 6:36 AM PDT
In reply to: LCD's in two rooms

so which one u decided........?

Collapse -
by andrewjr1969 / May 18, 2009 4:23 AM PDT

Hi there samsung tech, I am in the United Kingdom - please advise some specific surround speakers that would suit my new Samsung UE46B7020 TV.
Thanks again

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 19, 2009 4:14 PM PDT

Here is the main page for the Home Cinema systems we offer:

We are offering an AV receiver this year, which allows you to connect your devices directly to the receiver, and run as a surround sound port.

As discussed earlier, we do have wireless systems - the Blu-Ray Theater system with wireless rear speakers is here:

And the wireless DVD (No Blu-Ray) is here:

There are a few other systems on that site that might be worth looking at, and you can choose up to three and compare them right on the website, here:

Hope that helps!

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Collapse -
by numan2good / June 3, 2009 3:24 AM PDT

well i went for LCD by VIZIO vu37lf
and i m happy with that...

Collapse -
check this out man....
by numan2good / June 11, 2009 2:41 AM PDT
Collapse -
check this beauty
by numan2good / June 11, 2009 2:45 AM PDT
Collapse -
SAMSUNG SWA4000XEU compatibility with Samsung HTBD1252
by andrewjr1969 / June 13, 2009 8:34 AM PDT

Have just bought the Samsung HTBD1252 5.1 Home cinema system. Handbook says to make rear speakers wirelss, I need to order the wireless receiving module SWA4100. However this is not available anywhere, and have been advised by two retailers that the SWA4000 or 4000XEU will work fine. Therefore I have just ordered one of these, as I can not get the 4100 model anywhere.
Can you please confirm the following:
1) The SWA4000XEU is compatible with the HTBD1252 system
2) That a TX card is and cable from the receiver to the two rear speakers is included.

Collapse -
SAMSUNG SWA4000XEU compatibility with Samsung HTBD1252
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 13, 2009 10:13 AM PDT

Could you please let me know which country you're inquiring from?

Collapse -
Lcd vs Plasma
by CHUCKMALLEY / May 19, 2009 4:46 AM PDT

I have a 42" Plasma that lost its display. I purchased the Samsung ln40a550 LCD,then LG agreed to fix my plasma for free. What I notice: Plasma has a warmer picture w/deeper blacks and no motion blur. My wife and I both suffered a bit of eye strain watching the LCD until I turned down the black levels & contrast. I don't play video games on either set, so burn in wouldn't be an issue on the plasma. Consumers have been worried about plasma "burn in" and other issues,and it's going to kill the plasma tv market. IMO, I prefer the plasma's picture over the lcd anyday. I'd say buy one before it's too late.

Collapse -
LCD vs Plasma
by donbuczynski / May 19, 2009 10:53 AM PDT

Looked at both; settled on the Samsung A950 primarily for the LED local dimming back light, 120hz refresh rate and lower power consumption. Considered the Sony XBR8 but too expensive for my budget (30% more costly and not 30% better picture). Very happy with the decision to get this TV and the outstanding picture quality. (The use of a basic calibration disk is very helpful in getting the best picture possible. Why don't Samsung TV's have built in calibration screens?) Spoke of my research and experience with the A950 to a co-worker and he bought one too. He was considering plasma at the time primarily because of concerns about off axis viewing angle.

Based on my experience to date, I would by this TV again.

Collapse -
by RVelle / May 24, 2009 2:43 AM PDT

Plasma or LCD? LCD

What did you choose? LN52a650, purchased this morning
Why did you choose it? Been waiting for the right price on the 2008 models
Are you happy with your decision? Im sure I will be, my only concern (and Im already aware, is where Im putting the set in our living room there is a bay windown with lots of light... guess we will just be drawing the shades alot Happy
If you could, would you go back and buy the other? (Why or why not?) Dont think I would go Plasma mainly becuase of power consumption (though the plasmas still have the viewing angle and deeper blacks over the LCDs...)

Collapse -
Samsung Televisions Plasma or LCD
by dspears1 / May 26, 2009 9:14 AM PDT

I am glad to see so many of the votes so far seem to be leaning in favor of LCD'S. When I set up my SAMSUNG TELEVISIONS store
I made the decision to focus strictly on flat panel LCD's. Now that I have updated the inventory completely to the new 2009 models and from the results I am seeing here maybe there will be a corresponding influx of visitors that choose to go with the majority of the voters here.

Collapse -
I have both and PLASMA Rules.
by Matt832 / May 31, 2009 5:08 AM PDT

I am the owner of a P50A650 Plasma and an LN40B650 LCD. So I think I'm qualified to speak on this issue. Both are highly regarded sets, upper mid level in their series. When my 7 year old HD set died I was hoping for a repair but during the repair process I bought the 50" plasma. Consequent;y the older HD TV could not be repaired so I was offered a replacement under the service contract. That is when I bought the 40" LCD.

The LCD was to be used in my library where my elderly dad watches TV. But due to the placement I could not use the LCD set. The inherent problem with LCD sets is that they have a limited viewing angle and until that can be resolved they are a second class product. Since the placement dictated off angle viewing I had no choice but to replace the $$$ Samsung LCD with a plasma, for that I opted for a Panasonic P42X1.

So the expensive LCD set resides in my bedroom where viewing angle is restricted. Since I got it as a replacement I could not return it, creating a somewhat pricey mistake. People can tout LCD all they want but they have issues that need to be resolved. Is Plasma perfect, no. But, I can sit anywhere in the room and see a very good picture, not a milky white faded color one I see when I look at the LN40B650 from off to the side. On angle it is a stunning set, great black level and beautiful color. Move off the sweet spot and it looks like a $399 piece of junk from walmart.

I had my Samsung P50A650 calibrated a couple of weeks ago and all I can say in the picture is stunning! To be honest it's hard to stop watching it. This is after owning it for 3 months prior. The colors are so spot on, and the 3 dimensionality is there since the gamma was correctly set, so there is little I can fault this set on. I use it in a bright room with large windows on 3 walls and it is plenty bright, my calibrator took that into account when doing the adjustments.

As the tech go-to-guy for my large family I only recommend Plasma at this point, especially for general family viewing. The price is much better, there is a wide seating/viewing area. the colors are great, and for me it's the all round winner.

Collapse -
Plasma here
by BillPierce / June 10, 2009 11:02 AM PDT

We bought a 50 inch plasma HDTV (not a Samsung) in 2006, just when prices began to drop. The resolution is 1080i, but we haven't noticed any deterioration in quality with cable HDTV or a Blu-Ray DVD player. In all, we've been very happy with it. The color has not faded and it remains bright in a variety of light conditions and from various viewing angles. Today we would have 1080p for less money, but we would have missed almost three years of viewing pleasure. About the only drawbacks of plasma I note are the heavy weight of the unit and the rather high power consumption.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.