E-readers forum

General discussion

Poll: Do you own a dedicated e-book reader?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / October 21, 2011 7:50 AM PDT

Do you own a dedicated e-book reader?

-- Yes. (Which one do you own?)
-- No. (No need for one or do you use something else?)
-- Still contemplating on getting one. (Which one are you considering?)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poll: Do you own a dedicated e-book reader?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poll: Do you own a dedicated e-book reader?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Love my Kindle!
by mnapier / October 21, 2011 11:36 AM PDT

I am a 67 year old grandmother with macular degeneration. The Kindle was my choice 2 years ago and it is still my choice. I did purchase the extended warranty. I recently had a concern with my Kindle - it was replaced within one week. No questions, no problems.

I have ordered the Kindle Fire and look forward to sharing with my grandchildren.

Yay Kindle!

Collapse -
Kindle lover
by heku2 / October 21, 2011 8:29 PM PDT
In reply to: Love my Kindle!

I too own a kindle and love it, i recently dropped it down the stairs by accident and broke the ink screen inside so had to resort to my android phone kindle and paper backs whilst awaiting for a replacement kindle, I missed it so much, its so much easier reading the kindle, especially eating whilst in your break at work as the pages of a paperback dont stay flat you need to hold them down,
you can alter the text size too and its nice and dark unlike some paperbacks where the text can be greyish instead of dark black.
give me a kindle anyday than paperbacks. Cool

Collapse -
(NT) Nook (First edition, not Nook Touch or Nook Color).
by cmptrsue / October 21, 2011 11:36 AM PDT
Collapse -
Ebook reader
by wizardb / October 21, 2011 11:36 AM PDT

I use a Mentor which I love my wife and son use Kobos and my daughter a Libre all of which are dedicated ebook readers,backlit screens suck for reading they keep you eyes and mind far to active to relax and enjoy a book.The Ipad and such are far to big and heavy to be useful for this purpose for any length of time

Collapse -
Love my Kindle wi-fi!
by redhawk3 / October 21, 2011 12:09 PM PDT

My Kindle is easy to read and easy to use. I am a 69 year old grandpa and have been amazed at the list of reading material available at Amazon at such low prices (or even FREE). One of the better eReaders around.

Collapse -
No I Don't Own an E-Book Reader and I Never Will
by triplet grandmom / October 21, 2011 12:16 PM PDT

I love to read books. I will always have a book that I can hold in my hands and turn the pages. When I am finished I can put it on my bookshelf. When my grandchildren come over they can browse the books in my den. Reading an electronic screen is horrifying to me!

Collapse -
use my iPhone
by bushpost / October 21, 2011 12:19 PM PDT

I first started reading eBooks about 10 years ago and used a Palm back then. But when the iPhone came in I moved to that. I figured I carried it everywhere anyway, and with the iPhone I can read books I've bought from anywhere - or with Stanza, any I have on my computer.
I have an Android phone as we'll, so that's loaded up with all the different apps to assist with my reading - but I can't get Stanza for that, so I can only read from major sites. I've toyed with the idea of getting a dedicated ereader though and the Fire looks really interesting. You've gotta love Amazon!

Collapse -
ebook reader. why?
by netsiu / October 21, 2011 12:25 PM PDT

looked into it for the wife but found it was cheaper to buy paperback.

Collapse -
75 years old.
by x5 / October 21, 2011 12:40 PM PDT

<font size="3" face="Times New Roman">
</font><span style="'font-family:" "Arial","sans-serif"; font-size: 11pt;'>YES.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"> I have own the first Kindle model.
Excellent product. Pretty now buy all my books for Kindle use. Unless I want
to share the book with my spouse. Then we go for a "hard cover". Just
bought the latest model for my youngest granddaughter (Age 9). She likes it -
just like her Grandpa. I also own an iPad 1. I can read all my Kindle books on
the iPad. Gives me an extra device for Kindle use.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"> If I was in the market for a new e-reader -
and own none; I would look very close at the Kindle Fire.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"> A little more pricey than the low end Kindle
e-reader - but has lots to offer.
<font size="3" face="Times New Roman">
</font>

Collapse -
iPad for everything
by mary_janeu / October 23, 2011 8:54 AM PDT
In reply to: 75 years old.

I, too, am an over 70 year-old grandma. I did buy a Kindle a few years ago, but when the iPad came out, there was no question. I use it for everything. I can read books, recipes, see the color pictures, video cooking shows, use interactive books with my grandchildren, as well as all the other things you can do with an iPad - e-mail, web browsing, Angry birds, Starwalk, etc. I just got an iPhone 4s and love facetime. Soon, I will have to get an iPad 2 - or wait for the iPad #!!! The iPad is much easier for me to use than the Kindle was. It was very awkward to maneuver around.

Collapse -
My family and I own 5 Nooks
by Bob_Meyer / October 21, 2011 2:03 PM PDT

Our oldest daughter has Cerebral Palsy and needs a wheelchair to get around. She has trouble holding physical books, especially large ones, like the Harry Potter novels. She got an original Nook as soon as it came out. Last yar at Christmas, I decide to get a Nook Color. My daughter took it over as soon as we got in the car. The original Nook got handed down to my wife, who has arthritis/carpal tunnel(?) in both wrists, and also has trouble holding big books. Our other daughter and middle child, liked the Nook Color so much she went out and got one. I guess I should mention that I'm 64, my wife is 63, and the kids are 36, 34 and 32, so we're not talking about teenagers here. We've also stocked up on both Nook & Kindle apps on 3 Android phones, two netbooks, two laptops and one desktop. This Spring my wife upgraded to the Nook Simple touch, which she loves, and this Summer, I finally got my Nook Color and the Nook to Android SD Card to make it a dual boot Nook Color/Android Tablet. I have both Nook and Kindle Apps on the Android side.
We've always been readers, but now there are no barriers. Got a few minutes, read on your phone. Know you'll have some time to kill? Take an eReader, tablet or a touchscreen netbook and and read away. Shopping for books? So easy. Want to get out of the house for awhile? Go to a Barnes & Noble store, read a free e-book for an hour over some Starbuck's coffee, then go to a restaurant to eat. Reading is not the only thing we do, but we do read a lot.

Collapse -
Kindle converted me
by cosmic52 / October 21, 2011 3:01 PM PDT

I was given a Kindle 1st gen when somebody bought a newer one. At first I thought it was a waste but it slowly seduced me. It was the large library of free books and sample chapters that hooked me. I'm sold, but would like a newer version because newer E Ink devices are greatly improved.

Even though I use friend's iPad all the time as a web device I would find it uncomfortable to hold for long periods while reading, and really prefer reading a book on E Ink. It's much easier on the eyes. I was contemplating a Nook Color but I can't wait to check out the Kindle Fire. Either of those would be for games or web. I'd still stick with black and white E Ink for reading books.

Collapse -
NO e reader please
by swamprat / October 21, 2011 3:09 PM PDT
NO Obviously some fixated with e readers have yet to encounter the urge to travel to the great porcelain throne and read a bit. next trip ponder all the poor Americans you e reader users are making unemployed. pulp wood haulers, backyard mechanics . ever try reading a e book reader covered in oil and grease or gasoline? How about the paper mills. Who among you would want to end the wonderful aroma of a paper mill at full tilt production? After all there is something about the aroma of pulp and how it enhances a pot of beans and kraut. Then there is the moment when one prepares to lift off the throne only to realize the holder is empty. Lets see how that e book works now and the bbq grill whey the little lighter fails and all you need is a simple piece of paper. e book anyone? I'll take the paper every time thank you.I prefer the flashlight ,2 d cells and a book under the covers in the cold. AAH the memories of a boy in the woods. E book??? naw no heart no class no folded corners just cold plastic, Ink and paper for me .........
Collapse -
I finally succumbed.
by Hartiq / October 21, 2011 4:01 PM PDT

I always said I would never buy an ereader until ebooks were sold at less thany 50p (50 cents or half a euro), they did a paper-to-ebook free swap deal for all the thousands of books I already have and someone attached some sort of finger-loop on the back to make it easier to hold.
I read a lot. My wife reads almost as much. She carries three or more books everywhere, so for her latest birthday, I found her a lovely pink Cybook Opus Bookeen thingy.
And, just as she started to get accustomed to it, and to like it, she lost thte ability to read. Brain tumor.
My timing sucks.
Chances are, she'll mever use the device.
There's hope, but not a lot. I'm keeping it handy in case she gets well enough.
And, no, the ereader did *not* cause the disease. She just didn't show symptoms for a while.

Collapse -
I shall pray for both of you
by alship48 / October 21, 2011 8:04 PM PDT
In reply to: I finally succumbed.

I lost my mother to brain cancer. Nasty business. I shall pray for both of your. May both of you find peace.

Collapse -
My deepest sympathies, and thank you.
by Hartiq / October 22, 2011 2:36 AM PDT

My deepest sympathies, and thank you, alship48, it is very much appreciated.

Collapse -
Not Any More
by ESUNintel / October 21, 2011 4:08 PM PDT

I had two Sony eReaders, and the first generation Kindle years ago. Ever since iPad one came out, I have had no need for one. Now I just use my iPad two. I'm all for using one device, and I can use my iPad for everything from web browsing to playing games, to more productive things like reading to project management. I can also have multiple reading options on the iPad, such as PDF, regular Word documents, Kindle, Nook, Apple's own eBooks App ...pretty much anything.

Collapse -
e-book readers
by vivdarn / October 21, 2011 4:13 PM PDT

I have had my Kindle for around 18 months and I love it. Very easy to use and I now dislike reading normal books.

Collapse -
Ebooks
by alship48 / October 21, 2011 7:43 PM PDT

I am only considering one because I need a larger and darker font than I used to, and don't think that it is going to get any better in the future. I have been receiving shots in my eyes monthly for wet Macular Degeneration, and while my sight is slightly improved than it was when we started three years ago, it isn't ever going to get better than it is right now. The long term prognosis is to tread water as much as possible. To read the newspaper (and I read two a day) I must have a large magnifying glass to cover the page and a lot of light. I can't read letter by letter; in graduate school, I learned how to read fast by swooping down and across the page this way and that. An open set of pages takes about four good swoops. Thus, I need a magnificent which will cover the whole page. Even better will be a very large font. I can do that with my desk computer, because the screen is 22 inches across. However, it isn't convenient to take to bed. I am unsure which of the big names I will choose. I want them to settle down price wise before I decide. They will have the best features settled down before I go for one, for sure.

Collapse -
As will most new tech, the accessability is awful on my e-bo
by steveflett / October 21, 2011 7:45 PM PDT

I own a Kindle 3G + Wifi. As a visually impaired person I read the schpeel and thought that the ability to enlarge the textsize would be a boon for me. Unfortunately not so. Amazon fail to mention that once enlarged to to the maximum setting, the Kindle deletes around an inch oft text from the right hand side of the book, thus making it impossible to read! A good idea gone bad! Anyone want to buy a used Kindle 3G + Wifi?

Collapse -
I use my smart phone
by mjsteele / October 21, 2011 8:07 PM PDT

I have 2 e-book readers on my Samsung Galaxy S2 that I use to read e-books

Collapse -
samsung kindle
by heku2 / October 21, 2011 9:14 PM PDT
In reply to: I use my smart phone

I too use my phone which is a Samsung galaxy mini, if my kindle is not with me and i have some time to spare reading , and as Amazon syncs the pages my phone and kindle always match up to the same page im reading. I have the 'wattpad' reader ap on it too, but as my phone screen is smaller than your galaxy s2 im turning the pages over more and it does waste my battery if I was reading for 2 hours on it, which i did before buying my kindle, but glad to know its there still and i do use it. Cool

Collapse -
Obviously a boon for some people
by rosiejim / October 21, 2011 10:26 PM PDT

Cannot see either of us buying a gadget like this ; hopefully we would never need one .
In England the fight is on to keep our free public libraries who do a wonderful job .
Books in there are mainly hardback but can have a good selection of paperbacks too .
There must be something for everyone in our library system and there are reference sections also , but not usually for taking away on loan .

W

Collapse -
I too like the library!
by morninglory / October 22, 2011 6:13 AM PDT

I live in a small town and I depend on my county library for all my reading material. I can check online to see if the current bestsellers are in and put a hold on one if it's not in stock; if it's there I can call the librarian and ask her to hold it for me. I have thought about buying a Kindle but then I think, what do I do with all the books that I now own (on the Kindle)? I can just take a book back to the library and get another one. I rarely read a book twice so I don't see the point in having all those "books" piling up on an ereader. But to each his/her own.

Collapse -
Want a Larger Screen
by QTeela / October 21, 2011 11:25 PM PDT

I currently have a Nook Color and love it for reading books. It is frustrating to read magazines on it, though, so I hope to get another, larger, color device in the future. I like the fact, though, that the Nook fits in my purse. The iPad is still too pricey, so I am hoping that Amazon will offer a larger size Fire someday. It would be great if it could fold up for easier portability. I may get an iPad if the price is under $200, and would consider used or older models. Another reason I might want an iPad is that it interfaces easily with my TIVO.

The Nook Color has external memory and a slightly larger screen than the Fire, but the Fire can play movies and shows from Amazon Instant Video, which I already subscribe to. However, I have no desire to watch TV and movies on a little screen.

Collapse -
Bought a NOOK
by dontjst / October 21, 2011 11:29 PM PDT

Just bought a NOOK for my wife who enjoys reading but has macular degeneration. The high contrast and enlarged print have been very helpful. Happy

Collapse -
Poll: Do you own a dedicated e-book reader?
by lorbri23 / October 22, 2011 2:22 AM PDT

I am disabled and would love one but I can't afford it. I am sure that a lot of people like me have the same problem.
65 year old.

Collapse -
Kindle app
by ChoirLady / October 22, 2011 2:57 AM PDT

Don't have a dedicated reader but I love my Kindle app on my iPhone! My books are always with me -

Collapse -
E Books
by chuckp7860 / October 22, 2011 3:35 AM PDT

I'm sorry but to start with, why would someone pay the same price on most occasions to purchase an electronic book as compared to a paper book. I would have thought the whole thing about E book was to sell more books and with out printing them on paper which saves a lot of cash and should be passed on to the buyer. Instead, you pay $14.95 for an E Book and you buy the paper back for $15.95. What kinda of rip off is that? Sure there are a lot of books that are actually free. Most likely The Man Who Bought a Bike or She Loved Him Not. Haven't heard of these books, of course not, the whole point. You can't buy a newly published book on E Book for any reasonable reduction in price. Then you have to pay $125 to actually buy the reader. Course you can read them on your laptop but that does away with the small E Reader doesn't it. I think the publishing companies and the Electronic companies got together and said, hey, you know these saps that buy all the newest gadgets, guess what I just came up with. We can sell them books electronically, it cost us nothing and you can sell them readers to get them on and we all make out like bandits. HEHEHEHEHE!! Sorry, if I'm going to pay almost full price for a book, I'm going to buy the book or go to my public library and get the book and read it. Then I don't have to worry about my $125 electronic reader going kuput and I have to buy another one. My book can't have a hard drive failure or the battery go out. If the publishers start selling the E Books at the price of maybe half the cost or less of the paper back then it might be a good deal.

Collapse -
Perspective
by dontjst / October 25, 2011 5:35 AM PDT
In reply to: E Books

Broaden your perspective a little. They are great for the visually impaired and handicapped. They are also an economical way for college students to acquire their text books (not in all cases, but many) for a lot less than for which the college book store sells them, plus having all your texts on a small device beats carrying 20#+ books everywhere.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.