Car Tech forum

General discussion

Poll: Do you like the idea of having a black box in your car and why?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / April 24, 2012 3:42 AM PDT
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poll: Do you like the idea of having a black box in your car and why?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poll: Do you like the idea of having a black box in your car and why?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Car Black Box

I can foresee this as something that the insurance industry will use to increase premiums...At sometime everyone has exceeded a speed limit and although factors such as tyre pressures that change with temperature can affect speedo readings, Insurance will take the letter of the law if it is to their advantage.

Collapse -
You Got It!
by Ironpeddler / April 24, 2012 4:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Car Black Box

That is exactly what this is all about....Big Business denying us what we pay for. Imagine getting into an accident and the black box has information that you exceeded the speed limit by 6 MPH and they deny your claim because you were deemed to be driving the vehicle recklessly? Or a part fails in your new car, you get into an accident and the black box states otherwise as to it being a manufacturers defect?

...and wait until the Lawyers get a hold of the accidents that involve them...the cases will drag on for ever, further driving up our premiums.

Nothing good will come out of this for us folks that PAY for the cars that have them installed...trust me on that one.

Collapse -
Too fast?
by Paolo_in_Chicago / April 24, 2012 5:27 AM PDT
In reply to: You Got It!

If you're driving 6mph over the limit, then you're driving too fast. You might not think so, but other road users such as pedestrians and cyclists certainly do.

Collapse -
Please be realistic
by JoyceAL / April 25, 2012 2:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Too fast?

According to your estimation, driving 6 mph over the limit is driving too fast. So if the speed limit is 45mph & you're driving 51 mph, you're driving too fast. So anytime you drive faster then 45mph, no matter what the speed limit is (55, 65 or 75mph), you're driving too fast. The only ones who will benefit from the black box is the insurance companies & government. I don't ever see the insurance companies lowering their prices to make that much difference to the insured & as for the government, it is only another way that big brother is watching & controlling your life.

Collapse -
black box
by susanhk / April 24, 2012 10:37 PM PDT

i see this as something that will reduce your insurance policy. they can track your statistics and if you fall within the 'I follow the rules' category your premium should be reduced accordingly. if you are a wreckless driver well then you should pay the penalty.

besides the above, as a woman who drives a lot on my own and at night because of shift work and at those times there is not a big police presence I would appreciate the safety issue of a black box in the event of a hijack or some other security issue.

privacy is a concern but one can rather go to a motel (if this is the privacy concern) than use your car.

Collapse -
Car Black Box
by lle0610 / April 25, 2012 5:18 AM PDT

I really do not see the sence of having a black box in a car. What I believe they should do is the same material they make the black box out of they should make the cars and planes out of that same material, then there may be fewer deaths.

Collapse -
Costly
by JoyceAL / April 25, 2012 6:25 AM PDT

That would be great but imagine the cost of a car w/ that material.

Collapse -
Black Box for Automotive use.

Until the boxes can be secured so that the data stored can not be malipulated by any person or commercial/police/government agency, I would not allow the installation of the device in my vehicle. The data must be completly tamper proof for the devices to be able to serve the public interest.

Collapse -
black box - no

Authorities will immediately start ticketing for speed, fuel usage, etc.

Collapse -
It's going to be abused

By police
By insurance companies
By people who know how to get the data
By criminals (admittedly there is some overlap here with the previous categories)

Collapse -
Black box EDR

This just another thinly veiled attempt by government and the INSURANCE COMPANIES to make more money!!

Collapse -
Article is misleading

Cars have had "black boxes" since 1996. I think the article is misleading because it fails to mention that in order to access the information from a black box there is special software needed that the manufacturer only has access to. The title of the article makes it sound as if "big brother" would have access to black box information at all times. All that the black box does is record accelaration, braking, and speed for five seconds prior to an accident. Black boxes installed after September 1, 2012 will have to record 15 seconds of data. A black box is a great instrument because it can provide facts of what happened in an accident.

Collapse -
You are right
by sandylns / April 24, 2012 5:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Article is misleading

Black boxes have been around for ages. It has been mandatory since 1996 and voluntary prior to that date. The parameters used in the boxes can, if calibrated correctly, show vehicle failures, accident causes and other factors. We expect our airlines to have this technology why not the automobile industry? Peoples fears about abuse by the police and insurance industry are totally unfounded.
If some half baked drunk slammed into your car and tried to blame you, wouldn't you want some evidence to back you up?

Collapse -
Black boxes.
by Browniesdad / April 24, 2012 6:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Article is misleading

Would your government lie to you? Trust? Have I got some swampland for you.

Collapse -
Stop Government intervention into the private lives of peopl

Government intervention into our private lives. That is what our constitution is all about. When government continues to abuse our rights as set forth in the Constitution, then we as a people are loosing the fight. When government becomes an entity unto itself, then we have lost. Our forefathers foresaw a government of the people, by the people and for the people, not a government of the government, by the government and for the government. When that happens then we have a totalitarian state.

Collapse -
I do not want a black box in my car.

A black box in my car will only help insurance companies, police, government agencies and anyone who is willing to pay for the information. Whatever case "they" make is nothing more than Bogus aka BS. I have been driving for over 50 years and accidents will happen. The "old" way of skid marks, witnesses if any have worked all these years and black boxes will not help anyone except insurance companies finding a way not to pay for damages.

Collapse -
You can't be your best at driving with more distractions

I'm unalterably opposed and will do what I can to avoid having one of these in my car - ever.
Driving under today's conditions and with all the gadgets in cars, is an occupation of it own, and we don't need more things to worry about like some box recording speeds and side-pressure, then throwing numbers at you later and asking why they don't meat someone's idea of what you should have been doing under the circumstances. They could be helpful if used ONLY to determine cause of accidents and prevent future ones, but it doesn't work that way.

Collapse -
Benefits outweigh privacy issues

If anyone is afraid of getting speeding tickets because of a black box then I suggest they slow down and obey the speed limit. I think the black box can be very useful in the aftermath of an accident in determining the cause (human or mechanical) and assigning blame. I don't see how anyone who makes a habit of driving safely and responsibly could have any real objection.

Collapse -
Thank you
by osopolarglacier / April 24, 2012 11:21 AM PDT

Good Citizen, Thank you now stand in line and do what we tell you. Report anyone that does not agree with our mission, so we can remove them.It is for your own good and the greater good of our mission. Do not question us, we know what is best for all citizens. Remember we are watching and monitoring all movement and communication. Thank you.

Collapse -
Safe drivers should not worry, provided that....

My big question is: is it linked to GPS tracking? I didn't read the article in detail, so maybe the answer is there.

I think these devices will be great in determining who is at fault in a crash, and even better in encouraging drivers to drive more safely. I say this from the perspective of a frequent cyclist and pedestrian.

Safe drivers should not worry, provided that the black box is not linked to GPS tracking which would be intrusive, or if it is, the user has the right to, and can easily, disable it.

Collapse -
Big Brother is watching

I am not happy about being forced to have something in my possession which would give the government & big business (insurance companies) even more control over me. First it was the seat belts, then the air bag & now the black box...are we driving or flying????
It would make more sense to me if people were taught how to drive more defensively. Driver education should be a mandatory subject in the school systems since there is a higher percentage of these students driving then using algebra. Why does this country seem to always put the cart before the horse???
I have had my share of speeding tickets in the past but no major accidents & I still find myself with a lead foot occasionally, therefore I do not want anyone tracking my life in any way. Before you realize it, a people will have no privacy whatsoever!

Collapse -
Amen
by osopolarglacier / April 24, 2012 11:22 AM PDT

Well put

Collapse -
Where's an "I don't mind" or "I don't care" option?

I really like the idea of OTHER people having Black Boxes in their vehicles, and if I drove something new enough to be so equipped, I wouldn't mind, since as I've grown older, I'm a slower, safer, and more courteous driver.
It's too easy to get killed, whether in an accident, or because some d*ckwad hates sharing the road, doesn't like your bumper sticker, or thinks the president is a commie.

Collapse -
car black boxes

The only people who are REALLY concerned about this are those who want to be able to get away with breaking a law & not be held accountable for it. We want all those laws enforced - but not the ones that WE break. Get all those other violators out there, not me. Lee made a good point about these boxes helping determine what happened in an accident as well as who did what: in our litigation-happy society this black box could save someone a LOT of grief, not to mention money. And I'm quite certain that everyone's favorite boogeyman "big brother" is NOT going to send you a ticket for driving 5 mph over the limit. Get a grip, folks.
joe in buenos aires

Collapse -
Really?
by Fyrebaugh / April 24, 2012 6:06 AM PDT
In reply to: car black boxes

The idea of it is all right if I am being watched because I do not break the law, only holds true on the surface, and in the narrow view you are portraying here. As soon as the data is used to calculate insurance rates, based on someone else's view of your driving, or law enforcement starts watching someone based on "red flags" tied to a car. Then it leaves the narrow view you have put forth. The view of watching everyone's actions and holding them to a standard is not "fair use" and the consumer should be able to opt out of them.

Collapse -
Do you like the idea of having a black box in your car and

Like all technology the black box in the car is aimed at driving safely. Speed cameras were originally developed to speed traffic up but they were turned into money making machines aimed at punishing car drivers. Yes, we will have someidiots saying if you drive carefully you need not fear anything. Not so! This will not save one life. It will not stop joy riders. It will not stop Drunks driving. It will not stop drivers on drugs. It will not stop foreign drivers with a wreckles diregard to road safety. It will not stop contraflows on our safets roads. Be afraid! Be very afraid! They want to control you!

Were is the consultation on this with the public or has it been introduced by dictat? Wake up people you are sleepwalking into a future nightmare.

As Einstein once said many years ago; "It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity"

Collapse -
Maybe in the short run

I won't be a better driver with the device in my car, mainly because I normally follow the law, rarely speed, stop at stop signs etc. etc. I think the majority of people will be better drivers for a while, but as they forget the device is in the car they will fall back on the bad habits that they use now. Law enforcement has not stopped bad driving, and the increase in traffic accidents does not dissuade the majority from following bad driving practices.

I see it in parking lots all the time, even though they are "one way" lanes, people pull up or down them any way they want, and even when someone is driving the wrong way down a lane, they force people trying to follow the rules to get out of their way.

No black box, no law enforcement, will change people's behavior in the long run. So unless the black box is used for the bad things we don't want it used for it will not achieve the goal of correcting bad driving.

Collapse -
Black Box

I would be 100% for a black box in cars if it contained a breathalizer too!

Collapse -
New Breathalyzer
by Remag / April 24, 2012 9:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Black Box

The new black boxes will have a breathalyzer but you probably will not like [maybe you will] where the probe will be..........not in your mouth but in another orifice.

Collapse -
Black box is essential
by rudalfdesuja / December 31, 2013 3:18 PM PST
In reply to: New Breathalyzer

Hi

Yes black box insurance is essential now days for all cars. It provides good covers and safe for drivers. Lots of companies provide good service and offer now in this type of insurance now. I have read lots of good threads about lots of companies here http://theblackboxinsuranceforum.createaforum.com/index.php I found good advice there from expert and know the importance of this black box.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.