TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Poll: Do you currently use an HDTV as a computer monitor?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / January 14, 2011 8:05 AM PST

Do you currently use an HDTV as a computer monitor?

-- No. (Have you thought about it?)
-- Yes. (How's it working out? What size is your HDTV?)
-- Not yet, but thinking about it. (Tell us more.)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poll: Do you currently use an HDTV as a computer monitor?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poll: Do you currently use an HDTV as a computer monitor?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Nope
by givemeaname / January 14, 2011 8:41 AM PST

Hooked it up once but the video out on my laptop can not out put 1080p so I get small bars on the sides but I like watching tv when on my computer(s) anyways (stacking).

Collapse -
hdtv as a monitor
by richlee1 / January 14, 2011 9:03 AM PST

Yes, I'm using a 32" Westinghouse HDTV as a computer monitor. It's working out very well.
Richard

Collapse -
I often use a 65 inch LCD at work in a conference room
by minimalist / January 14, 2011 9:07 AM PST

from about 10 feet away and its great for displaying 1080p graphics to clients but the disconnect between mouse movements and what happens on the screen is annoying. Navigating folders is a huge pain. Desktop UI's just weren't designed to be used from across the room.

I tried hooking a PC up to my TV once at home with a Macbook Pro on a 46" LCD (seated 8 feet away) and it worked but it just doesn't seem worth the hassle. If I was going to do it right I'd go with a HTPC and Windows media Center but I just don;t care enough about TV and DVR's to spend the kind of money for a setup like that. For the few shows we watch in our household each season I'm perfectly happy just renting the discs or streaming from Netflix when they become available.

Collapse -
Yes
by boosterp / January 14, 2011 9:29 AM PST

I have for the past 2.5 years. It's not 1080p but is 720p, at that time the 1080p was too expensive for use. I had a 8800GT pushing the graphics, now have ATI 5870. The only hitch was for the true 720p, HDCP to DVI converter was a little expensive at the time but have become more reasonable and now many vid cards are DVI capable.

Collapse -
HDTV as a Monitor
by tritonjr / January 14, 2011 9:33 AM PST

Yes and for a few years now, 55" Vizio and it works great plus I can read email from the moon.

Collapse -
HDTV makes a great monitor with Vista or Windows 7
by Ron Geiken / January 14, 2011 10:05 AM PST

I am using two HDTVs in my home to support two different set ups. The computer video drivers support 1080 X 1920, so the resolution is fine. One of my set is 27 inches, and the other is 24 inches. I have also provisioned two other computers with HDTV sets successfully. The all look fine and are running at 1080 X 1920. If your video driver does not handle that resolution, then it might turn out to be grainy. Since you can get some reasonably good computers with Windows 7 for $300 to $400, it might be a good time to get a new computer and go from XP to Windows 7. I think for most people that will be a good move to go a more secure operating system with good operating speed. Get a 64 bit system with a quad processor or better and 4 gig of ram or more and you will be pleasantly surprised. Unfortunately older software might not be compatible, and that is something that you should evaluate. There is a lot of free software you can install, and copy of MS Office for Home and Student can be had for the $100 bracket give or take a little. An HDTV for an older computer may not prove to be satisfactory.

Collapse -
W7-64 bit,2gb DDR2, Atom Duo netbook is ok.
by gregzeng01 / January 22, 2011 12:41 PM PST

I assume that the readers of this forum are using their giant DVI-HDMI HDTVs to read & reply to these forums.
My pc's link to my 24 inch HDTV in portrait mode. For Blueray, DVD shows, You-tube, etc, it easily swivels into landscape mode. Expect to also do this with the living room's theater too.

BTW: Ubuntu derivatives (Mint, SuperOS, Pinguy) do a safer, quicker, more reliable use than anything from M$.

Collapse -
Yes, for 11 years
by dolbyg / January 14, 2011 10:45 AM PST

I've posted my story here before.
My 36" RCA 4:3 HDTV died last year after 10 years. I replaced it with a 40" Sony. I ran the RCA at 800x600 and now run the Sony at 720P 16:9. I can go to 1080, but that's too small from 10 feet away. I will while doing photo editing up close. Sometimes I push it to 1080 while watching DVDs or HD downloads played from my computer.
Of course, My computer isn't what it was back then, either.
Other inputs are antenna and cable TV with a DVR.

Collapse -
HDTV as Monitor
by hydrodam / January 14, 2011 3:29 PM PST

I use the HDTV as a monitor, with a good 5 metre HDMI lead cable. It performs just as well as a monitor, but my TV has adjustable screen size settings, and the computer can also set the screen size which is good. I find no difference at all to a monitor. The only disadvantage would be having the screen close to you, maybe for privacy, and that`s all. I would advise using a TV instead of buying a monitor, but get a good HDMI lead, also do not forget you have to have a HDMI socket on your computer!

Collapse -
HDTV
by daj2319 / January 14, 2011 8:28 PM PST
In reply to: HDTV as Monitor

We have been using ours using a VGA cable for about 2 years now and have a laptop permanently hooked up. I see no difference in its output as compared to my desktop. We basically use it for Hulu and we do not use it much for computing although we could. We also have Roku, DVD player, VHS player and satellite tv connected. We do have a HDMI hookup not being used but a 10ft HDMI cable is rather expensive so sticking with the VGA. Honestly, I can not tell the difference, but us old people's eyes aren't what they used to be. Connected to a VIZO 32". All this is hooked up in the bedroom and the desktops are in a separate room. Also using an ethernet cable rather than the wireless N from the router because it is a lot faster.

Collapse -
HDTV as a monitor
by AspieMum / January 14, 2011 10:25 PM PST

I can't afford an HDTV and as my computer is in a cabinet (one designed as a computer cabinat Argos used to sell years ago) there isn't room for a big TV or monitor (or any need as the key board is near the monitor on is own special shelf). We don't have HDTV for our normal TV either.

Collapse -
HDTV as a Computer Monitor
by GUSFERSHORT / January 14, 2011 11:38 PM PST

I use a 22" Vizio 1080P HDTV for a Monitor and watch TV as well when switched on a Windows XP system. I would never go back to my original monitor! Works perfectly and everything looks great especially pictures. I could have bought a monitor which would have cost about the same as this HDTV but then I would have only had a monitor. I highly recommend using a HDTV for a monitor!

Collapse -
Your vizio 22" model?
by deb309 / November 15, 2011 2:11 AM PST

Hi! I am currently shopping for a 22" vizio hdtv that would work with my new Inspiron laptop that has windows 7 and a HDMI port. I am curious about which model you have if you don't mind sharing! Thanks!

Collapse -
I want to use my HDTV as a monitor!
by L6steel / January 15, 2011 12:42 AM PST

I have a 50" RCA HDTV that I would love to hook my pc up to!
I bought all the cables and tried it but never could get it to work right. My computer is an HP Multimedia pc. I guess I just don't have the skills!!
Michael

Collapse -
HDTV as monitor
by ducklady63 / January 15, 2011 1:58 AM PST

My son connects his laptop to 40 inch HDTV to play games, watch DVDs and watch internet catchup players like BBC iplayer. He uses an HDMI cable. DVDs are ok and so are games, but iplayer is a bit pixellated as was Youtube forinstance. Thismay be because the screen is so big rather than using a TV as a monitor.
It was simple to do with the HDMI cable although he says that you may need to play with the computer's settings to get the best picture.

Collapse -
yes
by donatkings / January 15, 2011 2:50 AM PST

I am using an lg 47 lcd I am surprised ! the pic is remarkable. I can download , save, watch movies...etc...as good if not better (mostly Better) quality than my cable provider

Collapse -
Kitchen HDTV + PC as Secondary Source = Netflix and Pandora
by Luise7 / January 15, 2011 2:57 AM PST

We're using a Samsung 23" (biggest that will fit in the built-in opening in the kitchen) to stream movies from Netflix and music channels from Pandora. Not only does this extend these services into a new room in the house, it lets us see recipes from Food.com in the room where we actually make the food. Even my Luddite husband likes it.

Collapse -
Since I bought a hi-rez 24" monitor over 15 years ago ...
by kuncne / January 15, 2011 7:20 AM PST

.. I see no reason to try connecting my computer to an HDTV. But in a wonderful example of how all trades are trade-offs, I recall that with the money I spent on that monitor, I could otherwise have bought a new compact car. It did however have such flashy extras as picture-in-picture, and I've never regretted the expense.

That flat-screen monitor still works perfectly and when it dies, I will replace it with another rather than engaging in unneeded fiddling with my HDTV. Today, expensive such monitors cost $250 or less, and cheaper ones from excellent manufacturers are edging down to $150.

One not-so-small point: earlier references to hi-rez monitors suggest that these are of value principally or solely to graphic software users. Virtually all my use has been of character-based files, and I have found from Day One that working with these can be much, much faster and better-directed when one can bring up document sections for detailed examination of the text. My monitor paid for itself in higher productivity in a few months. When I must work on smaller screens, as when traveling with a laptop, I feel my effectiveness declines considerably.

Collapse -
HDTV computer monitor
by rosiejim / January 15, 2011 8:01 PM PST

Would love to be able to upgrade my current monitor but cannot afford it . Not certain if I would though because existing Philips 17? is brilliant .
However we just upgraded to a Sony HD TV & it is really good . Still got the 5 year old Philips LCD , using it in the study .

Collapse -
gateway computer desktop with tv hook ups?
by 50_Caliber / January 16, 2011 12:05 AM PST

I got a hand me down gateway computer, was told it didn't work, went inside and found most cards had become loos or out of their slots, put them back in and screwed the retainers down and it works like a charm.
I found a board marked TV but no documentation and it seems to have the round audio and video plugs on the rear, is this for TV screen hook up or satellite receiver hook up?
I don't have a clue but either use might be cool if I knew what to do with them.

Collapse -
I am using 3 HDTV's +1 monitor+ laptop screen...
by leonar642 / January 16, 2011 12:33 AM PST

I use a 22" Viewsonic 1080P monitor on my desktop XP pro-64(Quad 4/6GB DDR2). From this I am tied into both a 24" and 47" 1080P HDTV. Although my current G/card only allows 2 displays at any given time, I have the option to switch between all 3 displays as independents or clones. Very handy for photo/design rendering and such. The whole sound system is handled via Dolby 5.1 sound expander (on XP)which can then be put thru my home theater system. I also have an 18" L/top(W-7 Pro64-dual core) running to a 26"1080P HDTV. Because of the "snap" feature, I can run 2 independent sessions on the L/top and another 2 on the 26" HDTV. I find the newer enhanced Dolby system on the L/top has greater sound differentiations so I run a separate line into the Aux input of the home theater system. I realize this was meant to be a "monitor" question, but I felt others might be interested in the sound enhancements available as well.

Collapse -
LG HDTV Monitor
by Maljudges / January 16, 2011 9:56 PM PST

I am using a LG HDTV as my computer monitor and I would'nt go back to an ordinary monitor if you paid me. The pictures are crystal clear and with the computer I'm using AMD Black Edition 3.2mhz 4Gb DDr3 and Radeaon HD 4200 card, and Igot the TV for free as a bonus with my 42" Led Lcd TV which I also use as a Monitor when I use Skpe or watch downloaded movies.

Collapse -
Media Center, Living Room....
by myoda / January 20, 2011 10:33 PM PST

Been using a Mits WD-Y65 since Dec 2006 as a HD PC monitor. Has an excellent, accurate picutre when watching tv. Bought it because of the DVI connection.

Link:
http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=114347

I use ArcSoft TotalMedia Theater to playback local and networked content. Windows Media Player allows me to playback recorded HDTV programs, with the surround tracks intact over the network to the living room.

Have since upgraded the PC, using the HDMI out of a Radeon HD5450 to an Onkyo 806 - out of the Onkyo to the WD-Y65. The 5450 Decodes DTS-MA, Dolby TrueHD. Sweet. It's a 65 inch rear projector. Been working great. Would love to upgrade to an 82 inch Mits...

Collapse -
HDTV for Monitor
by Ron Geiken / January 22, 2011 5:15 AM PST

I have two computers set up with 1080 by 1920 resolution which is their native resolution. They both work fine and the price is right. I have a 27 inch HP 2709m on my main computer, and that cost about $350. I have a 24 inch Samsung on my other computer, and that cost about $220. Resolution for HDTV is less than a typical full resolution monitor for computers, but it is plenty good, and the resolution is adequate to be used with the monitor 12 to 24 inches away for the 27 inch one. It is a real pleasure to work with a monitor this large. In the past, a 27 inch monitor would likely have had a greater resolution than 1080 by 1920, but that high is not really necessary for most people.

Collapse -
Do you currently use an hdtv as a computer monitor? yes
by daveyjane / January 28, 2011 12:42 AM PST

yes,

1. sharp lc32gd6u 32 inch tv as a monitor.
2. toshiba 46wx800u 46 in. tv as a monitor.

both work surprisingly well. Inputs are d-sub15 (vga) and hdmi, and component has worked also, but you need the adapter from the video card to the 3 phono plugs. One caveat of these methods is that you need to run the audio to the monitor as two more phono plugs and/or 3.5mm audio plug to get a multimedia video with sound. [hdmi includes the sound and doesn't require another audio pair].

Resolution and pic size must be set for each monitor, and the icons tend to get changed when changing resolution, so one must use an icon memorization program that differentiates between resolutions. I use iconoid.

the monitor's native resolution is not always attainable with the video cards output choices. So sometimes some 'scaling' takes place.

The better video cards have several output forms, and many resolution choices. Especially if the most up to date drivers are acquired for them.

So, good video cards with 768 mb of memory or higher make the tv monitor to computer monitor transition very easy. The monitors are quick and the computer cpu has more time for other chores, when the vid card has lots of mem.

my 2 cents.

Collapse -
HDTV. yes I do
by edwarddr1604 / February 7, 2011 6:25 AM PST

I have a Vizio 25.5 inch HDTV as a computer monitor and it works just fine.

Collapse -
Correction
by edwarddr1604 / February 7, 2011 6:28 AM PST
In reply to: HDTV. yes I do

Samsung 25.5 syncmaster t260hd 1080p

Collapse -
Using a hd tv for a monitor

Bought a new computer, much faster than the old windows.. 7 OS. Now my perfectly fine scanner and printer are a unusable. I have a Tosiba 19" HD TV that has a PC video input. Yeah I'll get a wireless mouse and keyboard for the Dell with Windows 98 Nvidia video card ,and set up a network. Glad I didn't get the modem/router yet. When I booted up, the TV's screen showed Windows 98 loading and I thought every thing was fine when it got to the log in page, it's a grey screen. I tried different setting on the TV and put the PC back on the other monitor and changed the video out put to the lowest setting. Am out of Ideas... Tosiba is of no help...not even a users manual on the internet.
HELP ME

Collapse -
Yes and No
by Dan Filice / July 7, 2011 8:28 AM PDT

Yes on my Mac, I'm using a 24" Asus HDTV connected to computer via HDMI. All works brilliantly. But No, I'm not using any of my HDTV's that I use for TV and movie viewing as a computer monitor.

Collapse -
An HDTV won't work when you need 2K and 4K resolution
by Dan Filice / July 7, 2011 9:49 AM PDT

For most web based functions, an HDTV having a 1080p resolution is fine. For high-res graphics work, you need an actual computer monitor capable of 2K and 4K resolution. An HDTV is low-res compared to that and it won't work for high-res work.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.