TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Poll: Do you currently use a streaming-media device at home?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / March 27, 2012 8:35 AM PDT

To give you some context to this poll, read this blog:
Which streaming media device is right for you?

Do you currently use a streaming-media device at home?

-- Yes. (Which one and how do you like it?)
-- No. (No need, or just undecided?)
-- I'm still thinking about getting one. (Did the John's blog post help?)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poll: Do you currently use a streaming-media device at home?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poll: Do you currently use a streaming-media device at home?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Link didnt work or was broken
by charlie7290 / March 27, 2012 9:41 AM PDT

Tried the link but couldnt see it,so I,ll go back to it later

Collapse -
Technically, I have more than one...
by timhood / March 27, 2012 3:20 PM PDT

I have a PS3 and an Apple TV. I also have an HD HomeRun and EyeTV. I don't use the PS3 for any streaming.

Since I have other Apple devices, it made sense to get the Apple TV (2nd gen). I store all of my movies in iTunes and it serves the content to my Apple TV flawlessly. So well that my kids want one connected to the TV they watch.

I currently have DirecTV service, but am testing out the HD HomeRun/Eye TV setup as a partial replacement for my DirecTV service. EyeTV works like a DVR, recording over-the-air HD content that the HD HomeRun gathers from it's antenna connection and serves over the network. The EyeTV software makes it possible to watch live TV on a Mac, record TV like a DVR, watch recorded TV on an IOS device, and, with an IOS app, even watch live TV on an IOS device or watch TV remotely (away from home). The EyeTV software can automatically export recorded content to iTunes so that it will show up on the AppleTV menus. The only shortcoming is that the export process causes a delay in the availability of the show. It's about the length of the show--e.g., a one hour recorded program is not available for about an hour after the recording *ends*.

Since not all of my shows are on regular TV, I will probably still need to purchase some shows on AppleTV. But, compared to my monthly DirecTV bill, I still expect to come out far ahead.

In my utopian world, there is a service where I can subscribe to specific channels a la carte and the content is available streamed over the internet to my TV or streaming device. I then buy only the channels I actually want. In this model, 75% of cable channels would wither away and die because nobody would watch them.

Collapse -
We're working on cutting the cord
by straybeat / March 30, 2012 6:37 AM PDT

Ever since cable companies started that stupid tier system in 1985 (to force users to pay the highest rate to get MTV and Discovery) I have roughly calculated that I have spent $32,400 on TV since then (not including all the various equipment I bought through all those years). After I decide on which dual-tuner DVR to buy and record off my antenna, then Dish is gone!

We figure the only channels we'll miss are Discovery, History, MTV and VH1 (are you paying attention cable networks?) and the occasional shows like Ice Road Truckers. As much as we like those shows and channels, they aren't worth $100-plus dollars a month, the cost of which always goes up of course. What bugs me most is that I had a big dish at one point and paid $50 a month for everything broadcast to man, while cable and small dish users were paying $80 for their limited choices. So I know it's a rip-off and we're just making them richer, while they cry poor and come up with another lame excuse why they have to raise our rates.

Then I love all the vested parties who keep trying to get some kind of legislation passed on why internet streaming should be illegal? Silly

Collapse -
Sony Google TV
by aalake / March 27, 2012 10:05 AM PDT

I have 4 TVs. I have Dish Network - 2 double systems. 1 system is plain vanilla tvs with an old-type receiver. The other system is a DVR with HD reception on one TV but plain coax on the other. When my bedroom TV broke I bought a Sony Google TV 24". Now I get ugggh reception on that TV from Dish and BEAUTIFUL reception from Google TV streaming Netflix, Amazon, HBOGO, whatever. I love it all. I am a 75 yr old femaie and I only like old games like Kings Quest thru Myst so I don't care about games but I do like HD and this TV gets HD if the movie is HD plus excellent reception for all the old miniseries I love. AND - my 'network' is those kind of adaptors that use your home electricity - w hich I read about on CNET and purchased and now my daughter's computer works, my big TV works both satellite and streaming my #2 TV is as described - great streaming, rarely any interruption, believe me - I'm happy.

Collapse -
by jjbcaz / March 28, 2012 2:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Sony Google TV

kudos to you lady for keeping up with all the techie stuff out there. I'm a 73 gal and trying my best to understand but you got me beat. keep it up - you're great!

Collapse -
Thank you
by aalake / March 28, 2012 12:44 PM PDT
In reply to: I LIKE YOUR STYLE

By the way - I never mess with Apple. I worked in the business world for 30+ years. I had all my music on my computer before iPod was even invented and I used some Dell gadget, DJ, I think, to carry it around. A lot of the comments on this blog seem to be about how to deal with both Apple and PCs. I have successfuly kept iTunes off my computer for all these years and now it's there and I can't remember why. Something to do with my phone. Which is not an iPhone. Oh well, it can all drive you bonkers if you let it...

Collapse -
Say what?
by jcallas / March 27, 2012 10:42 AM PDT

I answered no in your poll because I have absolutely no idea what this gadget is. Since I do fine without "it", I see
no reason to get one.

Collapse -
A car...I already have a horse...
by Rootmann / March 27, 2012 12:04 PM PDT
In reply to: Say what?

That's what the guy said as the first car went by him down the road...I already have a horse, why would I want want of those things....

Collapse -
3 Roku's here
by straybeat / March 27, 2012 4:08 PM PDT
In reply to: Say what?

I bought my first Roku last year to see what it was like. 250 "channels", plus a number of private channels (not officially from Roku). There's only about a dozen that are pay. Netflix for $7.99 a month, Hulu Plus for $8.99 for all the network offerings they carry. Then there are specialty channels, for instance if you like 50's westerns or the old 40's musicals? They cost like $1.99 to $3.99 a year. The usual sports pay channels like MLB, NBA, NHL, etc. and a few for free. And a few pay video game channels. All of the other 250 are free. Roku generally adds about 6 new channels every month or two. Usually they will prune some channels that no one likes or watches. That makes room for more.

The Roku lets you create a favorites list. All the models are wireless and have HDMI for an output. Version 2 of the box is MUCH faster than last year's models and lets you save more favorites and has a couple gigs of memory. It runs on Linux, so if you're the programming type you can create your own apps and channels or make the Roku do what you want. A lot of people have added FM to it. Hence the "private" channels. Roku offers a free programming language kit for you to work with also.

We liked it so much that we bought a second one last year for the bedroom. Recently we got the new version 2 with Angry Birds and other games on it. The remote acts like a Nintendo Wii motion control, wrist strap and all. So now we have 3 Roku's. The kid got the old living room one, now she can watch her own programs in her room. And I wouldn't give any of them up!

The channels run the gamut of most peoples' interests. Movies, sports, tech, religion, music, you name it. But the best part, they are mostly all free!

Collapse -
I have two...
by ESUNintel / March 27, 2012 10:48 AM PDT

I use an AppleTV and Roku. I mainly use the AppleTV to stream from computers with iTunes, or rent/buy movies and TV shows from iTunes. For some reason I tend to use the Roku for Netflix, even though AppleTV can stream Netflix, but usually use the Roku for Crumchyroll (to watch anime and k-drama which I don't even understand but really like).

Lately I also started using the AppleTV to stream games from the iPad.

Collapse -
by rmf / March 27, 2012 10:56 AM PDT

I don't see a need for this but the post from the 75 year-old is pretty impressive!

Collapse -
Just A PC...
by EscapePod / March 27, 2012 11:10 AM PDT

I just have one of those small, square Dell PCs connected to my main HDTV. Not only does it save OTA broadcasts via an external Haupauge USB tuner, but it can easily grab recorded video off of my main PCs, all of which have at least one hybrid internal tuner, and multi-terabyte hard drives.

Collapse -
by graffdon / March 27, 2012 11:10 AM PDT

Yes. We use a PlayStation 3. Since we got it, new services have been added. I expect this trend to continue. Plus, the ability to play DVDs, Blue Ray discs, and gaming discs is great. Yes, it was expensive. But, you get a lot for the money.

Collapse -
Using Roku 2 xs
by jmmailin / March 27, 2012 11:18 AM PDT

Am enjoying more and more as days go by. Setup was just silly-easy much to my relief. It has wireless N capability built in, but I am using it directly connected to router and video delivery is seamless, without delays or hesitation that I suspect would result if attemtping to connect to the home network wirelessly. Roku's advantage is the number of stations / channels offered, including Netflix, Hulu+, and access to Amazon Prime, Pandora internet radio, international channels, and more than I can count. My main complaint would be that much video content available online from the national broadcasting or cable networks is only available online and cannot be streamed through the (tiny) Roku Box, but what it does offer is pretty good. There are plenty of free offerings (years of [free] Dr. Who!) and options for unlimited Netflix at $7.99 a month, Hulu+ for same (separate) fee, and access to plenty of pay-per-view on multiple channels including UFC and Amazon Prime. Unlimited Amazon Prime for $79 a year gets you free 2 day shipping on products sold directly by Amazon as well. Note that does not include stuff sold by others via the Amazon web site. Hope, in combination with free over-the -air TV, to cut the stinking cable entirely.

Collapse -
I use Radio? Sure! for audio.
by Ron Geiken / March 27, 2012 11:24 AM PDT

I started using Radio? Sure! about a year ago, and use it most days. I like it because there is such a wide variety of stations to listen to. I have listened to Hawaiian music, Jazz, and currently the 20s Radio Network. I don't do any Video Streaming since I have Cox HD TV service.It is nice to able to listen to a Genre of music that is not available locally. I have always like 20s music and enjoy this station quite a bit. I have high speed internet, so the radio feed doesn't appreciably affect my Internet Speed. I am sure glad that they started this service. The device that provides the feed is free as are the stations, so it is the best of all worlds. When you learn how to use the streaming service, it is a welcome addition to my computer use. It takes a little while to learn how to use it, but when you finally get it set up, it is easy to change to a different station whenever you want. I have a few other 20s stations that I can go to if I am not happy with the current fare of the station that I am listening to. It is worth a try to see if you like it. No cost, no obligation.

Collapse -
have used a few
by johnr23 / March 27, 2012 11:40 AM PDT

original device i used was roku for netflix

when i starting using mp4s for movies i started using the western digital tv live this device works well as a standalone or can be used on a wireless networkand ikt also streams netflix and hulu etc

later on i got a ps3 system and it has the 3d bluray drive in addition to using wireless for netflix and hulu and others it works well also

i also have an lg 3d smart tv and this also can stream netflix hulu and amazon but it is glitchy as i dont believe it has a large enough buffer for streaming

i also have an imation link for wireless transmission of anything on my computer to the tv and this works well also
anything you can stream on your computer screen you can show on the tv

my preferred device is the wd tv because most of my dvds are converted to mp4 and i have like 2tb of mp4 tv shows and movies all on one network drive so it acts like a large video jukebox and i dont have to hunt and load dvds everything is organized in directories on the network drive

when i stream netflix or hulu probably the best device is the ps3 as it buffers enough that it very rarely has to rebuffer as your watching

as you can see most all of these devices work it depends on what you want to stream but they dont all stream all services so before you purchase one make sure it can stream the source you want to use

Collapse -
Roku 2 and old Kodak media player
by teckiegirl / March 27, 2012 11:40 AM PDT

I bought an old Kodak player a few years ago to play movies on our external hard drive. The interface is horrible but plays almost all formats. Got the Roku 2 around Christmas. Love it for streaming Amazon Prime, Crackle,Pbs etc. My only complaint is that it only plays MP4 formats so all my movies have to be converted, with 400+ movies it is a pain. Great easy to use interface and easy set up.

Collapse -
Roku LT

I use a Roku LT and I'm very happy with it. This model of Roku player is in high demand, so I had to special order it. It sure beats having cable, because of the lower cost and the entertainment options. Between Netflix and Hulu Plus, I only spend $16 a month. This model of player requires that you have a wireless router, so keep that in mind - but, at $50, it's hard to go wrong.

Collapse -
Do you currently use a streaming-media device at home?
by edbrady / March 27, 2012 12:41 PM PDT

I have on of the Roku models. So, far, there are no problems with the device (some of the offered channels can give me fits). I was living in Utah, and had been receiving some foreign news feeds that are not available where I am now. Roku reconnected me with most of them, and I wouldn't give it up--unless it were to move to a newer model.

Collapse -
Roku-Huge enjoyment from Tiny box!
by lspeece / March 27, 2012 12:59 PM PDT

I was an early adopter of the Roku and have never looked for an alternative. I now have the Angry Birds version of the Roku 2 and am enjoying it emensly!! Try it...You'll buy it!!!

Collapse -
I use a Logitech Squeezebox Duet and Radio Player
by jrschafer / March 27, 2012 1:15 PM PDT

Since KDFC in San Francisco lost their better transmitter, I have had to stream the station wirelessly. I use the Logitech Squeezebox Radio Player in my reception room in the office, and a Logitech Duet with my stereo at home. They are sometimes a little tricky to use, but really nice because both of them show the music that is playing. I just found and installed the free app for iPhone that can control both of them.

Collapse -
by Andy Holman / March 27, 2012 3:54 PM PDT

Got the following streaming devices in our home: a Samsung TV, Samsung Blu-ray player, LG TV, Logitech Revue, iPhone 4 and a Samsung Galaxy SII. We stream media to them all. We don't stream much online stuff. I prefer to download HD 1080 video files (MKV, etc.) onto my NAS for DLNA streaming to my LCD TVs. All devices we own have their pros and cons in terms of format support, etc. but that's all handled well by our media server software, Mezzmo.

Collapse -
Roku and the kids have some kind of box
by Joyce F / March 27, 2012 11:15 PM PDT

I have an older roku that works fine, just got a new wireless one for another room and suddenly it doesn't work. I am not a tv fanatic but just LOVE my roku. Aaargh!

Collapse -
Did you call..
by straybeat / March 28, 2012 2:06 AM PDT

the CSR's to add your new one to the account? I had to do that with my second one for some reason. The third one (new version 2) was pretty seamless. I got a great CSR too. Asked all about my setup, whatever else I was running, knew his stuff.

Collapse -
New to Roku
by suedihfed / March 27, 2012 11:31 PM PDT

We were using the wii to access Netflix but it does not have an hdmi input. I just got a Roku2xd two weeks ago and I am in love. It is like discovering a new planet. There is sooo much content available I have not even scratched the surface. Set up was super easy. As long as you have your wireless network ID's and password, you're in business. Last night, my husband and I discussed giving the wii to our daughter and getting another Roku for the livingroom. He is not a techie and is suspicious of new devices so I did not tell him about ordering the first Roku. Only after I had it working did I show him what it could do. He loved the classic horror movie channel and the weather channel. He did not even ask how much I paid for it. If that's not an endorsement, I don't know what is.

Collapse -
yes, the roku lt
by tboerger4757 / March 27, 2012 11:45 PM PDT

bought the roku lt because it was the cheapest. So far so good.Use it between 2 tv's. and it is really easy to set up.
Have watched a few movies in 720p; and a bunch of old sitcoms.Good selection on shows; pay and free.Really like the pandora internet radio.It's good enough that I'm cancelling the digital part of my cable and giving them back the DVR.

Collapse -
Streaming works for me
by lighthorse35 / March 28, 2012 12:59 AM PDT

I'm not a gamer but I have 4 computers including one laptop. I have a Wi-fi router but also have multiple locations hard wired in my house because I built it before home Wi-fi came out. I use Dishnet and have been a customer since the late 1990's. I'm a big fan of Netflix and have 2 Blu-ray players that I have hard wired for a more constant signal wich is the cheap way to watch both DVD and streaming. I've worked in telecommunications and data for years and know that Wi-fi has it's limitations. I dumped my cable service completely due to costs and spotty connections and opted for a 15 MB DSL service that has worked great. If I am getting my car worked on I will bring my laptop and will stream Netflix to my laptop via their free Wi-fi. It's great because of the lack of commercials so you get to watch a program uninterrupted. My neighbor had to have neck surgery and was laid up for 2 months so I brought one of my Blu-ray players over to his house and he watched plenty of programs on Netflix while I helped him and his wife around the house. He now has a blu-ray player and also watches Netflix even though he has cable and Infinty with it's replay of programs but it is loaded with commercials. My Godchildren use their WII gaming to stream Netflix to their TV via Wireless router.

Collapse -
I own 2 Roku's and
by stevecohan / March 28, 2012 1:36 AM PDT

a Sony Blu Ray DVD that streams Netflix and other applications. I purchased my first Roku for the bedroom about a year ago. I liked it so well that I purchased a second one for the living room. They are inexpensive to purchase and work really well. I am a news junkie and interested in Middle East history. I am able to get Al Jazeera live on the Roku and watch Middle East news. The quality of movies from Netflix is surprisingly good. I have turned on many of my friends to Roku and all love them. Although I have set up my Sony DVD to stream I never use it as Roku offers all that I enjoy.

Collapse -
Yes. Had Roku HD, gave away and went with
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 28, 2012 2:25 AM PDT

While the Roku HD was nice, it was bizarre at times. Content would not work or play from the channels they gave.

I changed it to the Logitech Revue and gave the Roku HD to my brother who tried it and I think sold it.

Collapse -
WD TV Live
by Pepe7 / March 28, 2012 3:29 PM PDT

So far, so good. Still learning the ropes.

One firmware update I did initially killed off the ability to play back some HD Flac files (I have a huge lossless library too), but another one subsequent seems to have restored that functionality. I haven't attached a huge video library to it yet, but that's on tap in the future. I've heard horror stories about folks losing entire drives full of videos connected to the WD TV Live, but I'm not certain if that's operator error or some sort of non-standard file type involved(?)

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.