iPhones, iPods, & iPads forum

General discussion

Poll: Do you currently own and use an iPod Classic?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / April 2, 2013 8:57 AM PDT

To give you some perspective to this poll, please read the following CNET blog: When will Apple kill the iPod?

Do you currently own and use an iPod Classic (not Touch, Nano, or Shuffle)?

-- Yes, I use it all the time. (What if Apple stopped making them? What would you use then?)
-- Yes, I use it occasionally. (Did you use it often before? What changed?)
-- Yes, but I hardly use it. (Did you use it often before? What changed?)
-- No, I got rid of it. (Why?)
-- I've never owned one.

Place your votes here: http://forums.cnet.com/2706-21566_102-2139.html

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poll: Do you currently own and use an iPod Classic?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poll: Do you currently own and use an iPod Classic?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Never had one
by Zekeuyasha / April 2, 2013 10:03 AM PDT

I never had a classic. I have a Zune 120 and I don't use it. My music collection is getting stale because I use Pandora on my smartphone...

Collapse -
I use my ipod classic every day
by odyssey570 / April 2, 2013 10:28 AM PDT

Despite having an iphone and an ipad, I use my 60 gig ipod classic every day. It's quality, capacity and battery life are amazing. I have my entire music, audio book, and podcast library on it. It is especially usefull at night because you can operate it easily in the dark using its buttons, without having the screen light on. This allows me to use it without disturbing my wife who is next to me, and without totally waking myself up when I am using it to help me fall asleep. For audio books and podcasts, it's a lot easier to rewind a little in the program to re-hear a part. Please Apple, don't discontinue this amazing (and historic) product!

Collapse -
I've never owned one
by wpgwpg / April 2, 2013 10:43 AM PDT

I've never owned one, don't need one, don't want one. Between my desktop, my laptop, and my Kindle Fire I have no need. I use my Toshiba laptop 90% of the time, my Dell desktop 8%, and my Kindle Fire 2%. I only bought the Kindle to see what all the fuss was about over tablets. It does everything I need it to do and is a whale of a lot cheaper than an overpriced iPad (or Surface either for that matter).

Collapse -
My son uses his iPod Classic every time he leaves the house
by djnova50 / April 2, 2013 11:30 AM PDT

Since he has autism and has problems immersing himself into the environment, he uses his iPod every time he walks anywhere.

Collapse -
IPOD Classic
by joanloy / April 2, 2013 12:56 PM PDT

I have all of my music on my IPOD Classic. I use it every day at the gym and some days in my car. I have an old one with a bad hard drive that I'm going to get fixed so I will have a backup. I never want to be without one.

Collapse -
A thing of the past.
by Luhng / April 2, 2013 1:24 PM PDT

Not that I ever used an iPod, smartphones have already replaced the iPod as far as I can see.

I can't see the point in carrying two devices that do the same.

The only reason I could see for iPod surviving (amongst Apple users) is that Apple have a company policy to rip their customers off on storage i.e. it's $200 extra to get the top model iPhone with the maximum memory (memory which costs Apple about $15 extra).

But, as Apple are losing the battle on smartphones and virtually every other phone has freely upgradable/interchangeable memory, there's no point or need for an iPod.

I see iPods in the shops but I can't remember the last time I saw one out in public.

Collapse -
iPod "Classic"
by ltrebl / April 2, 2013 1:28 PM PDT

I actually still use my 5.5 Gen iPod video, it's my primary music device for my car. I prefer the large capacity for long trips, and the physical buttons to a touch screen when driving, for safety reasons.

Collapse -
IPod Classic
by Saladdin / April 2, 2013 2:01 PM PDT

I have never had one, but I wish I COULD afford one. MOST of my music - that I listen to - is currently stored on a 32Gb memory card that is used in my Android smartphone. ALL of my music is also stored on and/or played from my Windows pc, and this library currently exceeds 35 Gb. This library is also backed up on an external hard drive AND is also on CD's.
As I also have an iPad and I use THAT to play online video, but have no intention at the moment to use it for music because of lack of storage space.
With the battery life of my only iPod (2Gb Nano) being only able to last about 1 hr 40 mins if I am lucky, this is hardly ever used at all.
If I ever CAN afford another iPod it would only ever be one with more storage than I could ever see me using or needing, so that I would not run out and 160gb seems about right to me.
IF Apple ever stopped making this device then they had better start making the iPhone/iPod Touch a hell of a lot cheaper AND make it with a hell of a lot more storage than currently available if they really want to retain their large customer base. SOME people will NEVER want to access their diet of music from 'streaming' or even downloads - me included - no matter how cheap it gets, as they will ALWAYS prefer having THEIR OWN HARD COPY of any music that they have purchased so that they can protect themselves from pc breakdowns, device failures etc, and then they will still have their music on CD, Hard Drive, Memory Card etc even if their PC, iPod does fail.

Collapse -
by rosiejim / April 3, 2013 2:00 AM PDT
In reply to: IPod Classic

I obtained a replacement battery (make sure you get the exact one) from eBay , got the necessary info from fixya & carefully fitted it to my 30Gb iPod . Fiddly job , need 3 hands with small fingers but achieved it with help from my wife . Really chuffed on success , hardest part was getting the iPod apart . Essential to use the plastic levers that should come with battery . Be very careful with the battery connections (tabs) . Battery life now up 10 fold to approx. 14 hours .
Good luck

Collapse -
Please Keep The Classic
by BKMiller / April 2, 2013 2:56 PM PDT

My iTunes library is currently over 100 gigs and counting. If I didn't have the capacity of my iPod Classic, I'd be forced to choose in advance what music/podcasts/videos to take with me on my travels (Not to mention photos, but since my music/video library has grown, they too have had to go). Streaming only makes sense when you've got bandwidth to spare, and a good, solid connection, and sorry, those are not givens yet.

Collapse -
by rosiejim / April 3, 2013 1:51 AM PDT

Have a 80Gb & an older 30Gb , both excellent .
Started out with a Sony Walkman with its different software : O dear ! Sony really losing its way for a good while . It seems to be doing better again ; we own a Sony TV 40'' LCD . Even had a Sony Betamax VCR years ago . Both the Walkman and the VCR seemed to be of quality as is the TV .
Back to the plot --- Apple products are good but pricey , it is your choice . Would I go over to their PC's , probably .
Love their iPods , use them alternatively when I remember .

And finally I also have a Sandisk Sansa 8Gb , must get out more .

Collapse -
Keep it!
by YYCDon / April 3, 2013 3:16 AM PDT

This is a great, all-round media player. I like its simplicity, battery life, durability and that there's no distraction beyond music or videos.

We got it for my kid at 2 or 3 years old because we fly and drive a lot, and still use it five years and later, nightly for his bedtime music and when we travel. He was able to use it immediately as a toddler, and with a kids case from ifrogz.com with handles and kid-size headphones. This was a perfect travel companion to pull out if books, games and crayons didn't do the trick on longer or bumpy flights.

In a family of 3 we have the iPod Classic, 2 laptops, a netbook, 2 iPhones, an iPod touch, iPad and a desktop. Nothing isn't used regularly and the iPod Classic totally has it's place. If we lost it today, I'd buy another one.

Collapse -
I use mine everyday
by rayrandall_dotmac / April 3, 2013 7:56 AM PDT

I loaded it up when it was new plugged in a fm transmitter on top and set it next to my fm receiver. I keep it on shuffle all the time. Since then I have taken probably half the songs off the computer it was loaded with so I don't dare to touch it so I can keep the songs I have on it and I don't have the time to go back and relearn everything so it will probably stay my juke box in the shop until it dies next to my Atwater Kent. Probably will not get another since iTunes 11 is so unfriendly I never use it anymore. I use xm radio in car and house. Much easier. No updates every other day, no new learning curve every six months and all the buttons are in the same place as when I bought it.
I have better things to do with the music in the background not the forefront. Even with a subscription it is much cheaper.

Collapse -
Do you currently own and use an iPod Classic?
by dickldoit / April 4, 2013 5:25 AM PDT

Yes and I use it all the time.
I have interfaces in both family cars. The performance and sound quality is great - ditto when attached to my home hifi set up.
I also use cloud but even with a high end dac the sound quality is not there.

Collapse -
by betadan / April 5, 2013 6:42 AM PDT

I have had an iPod classic a few times. I had a 120GB thats now in my GF car and a 7th gen 160. But with Pandora why bother anymore....

Collapse -
Audiobook Listener
by Marya26 / April 5, 2013 7:27 AM PDT

I listen to audiobooks all the time -- whenever I do not have to concentrate on certain mental tasks. I use enhanced earphones when I need to be mobile, otherwise listen to the iPod with it on a speaker dock. I used to listen to audiobooks on CDs but because of certain circumstances I cannot get to the library to check them out at present. The iPod has been a boon to this homebound listener. I download some books from Audible.com and others from the library. I just wish my local library had more MP3 titles to download (it has too many different ebook platforms to accommodate). The design of the iPod Classic is really neat for its portability, as well as its appealing looks.

Collapse -
ipod classic
by jacksonbird03 / April 5, 2013 8:32 PM PDT

I never have the ipod classic,,
I use my mobile for the songs...

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.