Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Phones

General discussion

Poll: Do you care if all your text messages are recorded?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / December 4, 2012 8:28 AM PST
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poll: Do you care if all your text messages are recorded?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poll: Do you care if all your text messages are recorded?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Text messages recorded?
by Harriett Ferziger / December 4, 2012 9:16 AM PST

I certainly DO care. How can you even ask??! And I rarely use text messaging -- it's easier to pick up the phone and get a dialog going (yeah, even if it's 10 time zones away.)

Collapse -
Seriously?
by robtinva / December 4, 2012 9:19 AM PST

I think your telephone call example is right on point. No way we would be ok with all our phone calls being recorded. It's no different.

Collapse -
Privacy and cost!
by BHarris / December 4, 2012 9:24 AM PST

If the carriers are required to retain all text messages for two years the cost of storing them would end up on our wireless bills (visible or not). Approximately 7 Trillion text messages (160 characters maximum, each) were sent in 2011. It is a quantity that only increases year-to-year. The carriers would have to increase long term/archival storage in order to meet this requirement, and provide a mechanism for managing them (content life cycle management - when to store, when to purge, indexing them for search). The cost for both would most certainly be passed on to us.

Collapse -
Yes, I care
by Snipe / December 4, 2012 9:36 AM PST

I don't use text messages, but I am against invasion of privacy and any more big government horning in to my life.

Collapse -
Yes I do care!
by riveresk / December 4, 2012 9:42 AM PST

We are being threatened with the same kind of snooping in the UK. I don't use SMS for any illegal purpose but having nothing to hide does not give the cops the right to look. If they seriously suspect anyone of illegal activity, let them obtain a court order first.

Collapse -
Do you care if text messages are recorded
by ratsoc / December 4, 2012 9:42 AM PST

Clear, unequivocal invasion of privacy and breach of fifth amendment

Collapse -
Cell phones txt and "Big Brother"
by biltho / December 4, 2012 9:55 AM PST

I know that the Stasi and the Nazis used to record everything in order to control subject populations. The Soviets did this too. Has the US government been taken over by East German communist police? Has the US become a police state?

The answer -and the Patriot Act is a strong example of this - is YES.

Collapse -
by Elsa2Zoe1 / December 4, 2012 10:07 AM PST

We live in a democracy and yet governments take it upon themselves to take away our rights - hello FASCISM!!! We have become a very complacent society and have given up our rights to governments to do as they wish pandering to lobbies. So, put-up and shut-up, or do something like encouraging others to write to our representatives and exercise our rights to deny them our vote if they don't do as we say.

Collapse -
A few thoughts
by sprkymrt / December 4, 2012 10:09 AM PST

While I don't use text messages, I am against everything having to be recorded for the police or government organizations. A few other things that haven't been covered in the articles I've read on this are: lost or stolen phones, which could be used by anybody who finds them, identity theft, and possibly the hacking of the providers by unknown people or groups, Sometimes millions of social security numbers and other information has been stolen. There are many instances of things happening which could reflect on a person without them even being aware of it, and then finding themselves in trouble because of it.

Collapse -
I have the right to be secure in my papers..
by richj120952 / December 4, 2012 10:18 AM PST

The Constitution is pretty clear, I have the right to be secure in my personal papers. That means electronic communications too. Part of that right is my ability to destroy any papers as I deem necessary, or store them as I deem necessary. The Government has a right to get a search warrant, and search my papers as they exist at the point of service of the warrant. No more and no less. Now, I understand the LEO desire to be able to get as much as a complete history as they can as they can tie history in certain cases to show conspiracy. The reason of course is to keep us safe and protect us. They would love making every one keep a 2 year history on every thing they write or say. The Constitution prohibits that though and should in the case of text messages. This is a conflict with freedom and safety, and not one I would be willing to give to the Government Law Enforcement people. (They are simply people and all it takes is one abuser to falsely convict, or simply use the information to "influence" someone to get a result they want.)

Collapse -
Why would I care
by Fejjarific / December 4, 2012 10:55 AM PST

If its going to make my bill go, up then no, but I am not doing anything illegal to warrent careing about this. They want to know my grocery list, fine.

Collapse -
Government blatant intrusion of privacy
by musicmugger / December 4, 2012 10:55 AM PST

I don't live in the states, but the UK government follows the white house like a mindless little puppy dog. Look how the secret services are turning anyone into a criminal for only speaking out, peaceful demonstrators branded social terrorists, where will it end, an FBI operative posted in every house? Then what? The NYPD already treads all over any area not under their jurisdiction. America already has a massive spy centre in the UK, and we are nothing to do with the US. So much for the title land of the free and freedom of speech. What freedom? This is all designed to clamp down on everyone and force them into silence; lemmings come to mind, and that's what governments want, to be able to do whatever they like without us having a say. I don't agree with hacking at all, but if someone comes up with a gadget or software to disrupt or cause havoc with the system, I'll install straight away. This is just another example Big Brother, it has nothing to do with 9/11 or criminal activities, because these people now tipped off will find another method to communicate.

Collapse -
Communism???
by guardian666 / December 4, 2012 7:19 PM PST

The people of communist China cannot move without big brother watching!There is a cctv for less than every 10 people!
The people`s republic of China already monitor text messages and cell phone calls.
They already regulate everything their people can view on the internet.
Is this where we are heading? Don`t sound like a big difference to me!

Collapse -
No Way To BiG Brother
by Luhng / December 4, 2012 12:08 PM PST

This is just another dumb idea. Clearly the police can't create an interaction between logic and what exits their mouths:

1. If you weren't sending information considered confidential, there would be no reason for the police to make the request.

2. Why would you bother sending your SMS messages encrypted if they were going to be stored on a strangers server?

3. Why did they create a law prohibiting tapping phones and other forms of surveillance if they are going to allow someone to record every written message i.e. if I'm sitting in my lounge talking, do I want it recorded? No. Is it illegal? Yes. If I'm talking on the phone would I want it recorded? No. Is it illegal? Yes. So, I'd be interested to know why those two are illegal and the written word isn't.

4. They offer no value whatsoever to the police as evidence. So, there's an incriminating message sent from your phone. Who sent it? Totally useless in court as any one knows it would be a perfect tool for setting someone up.

5. It's yet another reason for hacking servers.

Based on this, the only use would be for voyeurism and I would hope the police don't have the time for it.

The police are this dumb and their role is our protection? Well that's scary.......

Collapse -
Recording Text Violates the Constitution 4th amendment
by seahuntress / December 4, 2012 12:18 PM PST

My texts would put people to sleep - however, on principle, recording anyone's texts violates the 4th amendment of the Bill of Rights in the Constitution. If people are dumb enough to let this go, I will cancel my text plan and find another way - (how about actually speaking to a friend instead?)
Congress does not have the right to pass laws that violate the Consitution.
Citizens have not only the right, but the OBLIGATION to stop the destruction of our government.
We are being told it is for our "safety". - That is EXACTLY what the founders of this country wanted to guard against and why they had to leave their homeland to come to the colonies.
If the citizens of the Unites States blindly follow this path - we have usurped all that this country was founded upon - whether you are a Democrat or a Republican - your loss is the same -
We have the right to agree or disgree with each other BECAUSE of the Constitution - but so many people have just bot into the "us or them" argument.
We are one country and there is no "us or them" - our future rides on people waking up and working together -
There is no "safety" in passing laws like this - WAKE UP and call your congressmen/women.
PARTICIPATE IN YOUR GOVERNMENT WHILE YOU STILL CAN!

The 4th amendment
(thank you wikipedia)
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.[1]

Collapse -
Warrantless recording of texts is civil rights nightmare
by chrysb52 / December 4, 2012 12:24 PM PST

I am absolutely opposed to this. This is the same as saying we are all suspects before any crime has been committed. What is so bitterly ironic is that these are eerily similar to the attitudes and practices (wire tapping private citizens, reading private mail and then ratting out people to the authorities) that we despised in the Soviet Union and China during the Cold War. We are so quick to believe that this is "for our own protection." Naive and dangerous. Without privacy, individuals have no power. Once your civil rights are gone you won't get them back without a bloody fight.

C. Barnes

Collapse -
Text message Recorded? No problem
by dbmcqueen / December 4, 2012 12:34 PM PST

My text messages can be of no possible interest to anyone other than the recipient (if even then), so I don't mind who sees them. I'd certainly never send a message to anyone's phone that could come back to bite me - cell-phones can be passed around among friends, lost or stolen and are therefor hardly secure.

Collapse -
Everyone and I mean EVERYONE has something to hide
by pcardout / December 4, 2012 12:40 PM PST

The right to privacy exists because we all need a private place for dark
times, or dark people in our lives. We also need a private place for
our bright times and our joys. Whether it's religion, sex, drugs, rock-n-roll or mental illness. We decide
who gets access to our innermost thoughts and concerns. That's more or
less the definition of family and friends. If you have to assume all your texts are
public, you have to communicate in a much more shallow fashion. It hurts
you. It hurts those you love.

Bill Clinton was RIGHT to lie about his affair because it was none of our damn business.
The right to privacy is HUGE.

Collapse -
Perjury Justified?
by ErikHockman / December 4, 2012 11:57 PM PST

Lying under oath is never justified.

Collapse -
Text Messaging records
by TerryLS / December 4, 2012 1:06 PM PST

I absolutely do care, there is no time or place that the Government at any level should be able to see or demand communications that a private person has engaged in without a legal warrant from a constituted Judicial authority! And then, the observations should start at the time the warrant is executed, not before, and there should be no storing of any of those communications prior to that legal warrant! There is way too much intrusion in our lives and there is no need of that kind of intrusion, the police have the power and the methods to investigate anything that they legitimately need to and they don't need totalitarian authority to do their jobs! That goes for all levels of government and all levels of law enforcement authority.

Collapse -
Do you care if all your text messages are recorded?
by onionson / December 4, 2012 1:13 PM PST

No, I don't. With all the evolving technologies trying to stop the big brother society is like trying to stop
a hurricane. These things are supposed to come so I say lets get the show on the road. Why delay and
put it off on the kids or grandkids? Besides, one of my personal claims is that I know more about computers
than anyone who has never sent a text message so this issue does not really affect me! HAHAHAHA. Sadly
it does not take a lot of computer knowledge to qualify for that statement anymore.

Collapse -
Cyber Age
by dangnad1 / December 4, 2012 1:38 PM PST

The people who are "opposed" to storing data seemingly don't understand computers, cellphones, data transmission, or anything cyber. The government doesn't have anything to do with this (they can subpoena data, however). The concept of cells and using a device to communicate from cell to cell requires non-human intervention. There is no operator of old who asks you if you want your conversation to be private...or public. Computers do all of this and they LIKE to store data. To BHarris below: So 7 trillion messages at 160 bytes, about a petabyte. Mars-based rovers already upload petabytes of data to Earth. So if you don't want your text messages to be stored (and understood) then...uh....encrypt....I suppose.

Collapse -
Wireless carriers logging text messages.
by vcamview / December 4, 2012 1:54 PM PST

I sick and tired of giving up my privacy. BIG BROTHER has been here for some time! I think enough is enough!
And this is probably all for naught, because who knows what the "government" has on each of us.
Much more than anyone realizes!

Collapse -
You no they aren't going to do this for free....
by houch / December 4, 2012 2:45 PM PST
This is going to be another expense put on my PHONE BILL by the wireless carriers.
That the customer will have to PAY...I think my PHONE BILL is high a naught..
I can see the righting on the wall...
You no they aren't going to do this for free.... - HOUCH -
Collapse -
Text messages are absolutely private.
by gjgalveza-mty / December 4, 2012 3:31 PM PST

I have nothing to hide. But it is private. My conversations are private and nobody should interfere. So nobody can record my conversations and nobody can eavesdrop into my text messages. If they do that they are committing a crime.

Collapse -
by ghostreg / December 4, 2012 3:32 PM PST

I do care, these things are supposed to be private unless of course the cops have infallible evidence to suggest that i'm involved in some criminal activity...stop using technology is the best option at this point...you pay a lot already for these services and now the government wants to invade your privacy, control freaks i tell you! stop using the the Phone, internet, and other technology related services to protest these radical measures!!!

Richard

Collapse -
I'll Save 'em myself
by ArtDept / December 4, 2012 6:11 PM PST

If I want to save any, I'll save them on my own phone and erase them whenever I feel like it.
The phone company is only a transmitter, they should send it and forget it.
Does the post office xerox all your letters into a file somewhere? Same thing.

Collapse -
the post office
by k_tink / December 4, 2012 7:22 PM PST
In reply to: I'll Save 'em myself

Does the post office xerox all your letters into a file somewhere?
Good point.
Why are so many of the post offices in small rural areas closing down?
Haven't you read the USPS is supposedly "going bankrupt"?
Maybe because we have forgotten it is still the most private and safest way to communicate personal information.

Collapse -
I most certainly do object. It is an invasion of our privacy
by ladybirdJ / December 4, 2012 6:55 PM PST

We are getting closer and closer to Big Brother where our lives are monitored in everything we do. i say enough is enough. we should be able to have private texts and messages and indeed phone calls . i dont want complete strangers reading what may be a very intimate text with my better half. If it was shown that you were engaging in terrorist or criminal activities then maybe but only if proof was given beforehand and proper legal jurisdiction obtained

Collapse -
I don't use text messaging...but...
by k_tink / December 4, 2012 7:14 PM PST

Like so many others have said, this is a clear violation of rights and an invasion of privacy.
Just say NO! NO! NO! To the new USS of A. I think our forefathers and writers of the Constitutions Bill of Rights are rolling over in their graves.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.