Phones forum

General discussion

Poll: Are you planning on buying an iPhone?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / June 26, 2007 8:08 PM PDT

-- Yes, the day it is released! (Are you in line already?)
-- Yes, but I'll wait until the price drops. (At what price point?)
-- Yes, but only after the bugs have been worked out.(How do you know there will be bugs?)
-- Yes, but only if it is made available to other carriers besides AT&T. (Which carrier?)
-- Maybe. (Why the hesitation?)
-- No. (Any particular reasons?)
-- Never. (Why are you so sure?)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poll: Are you planning on buying an iPhone?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poll: Are you planning on buying an iPhone?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes....but a lot has to change
by myth90045 / June 27, 2007 2:27 AM PDT

From what I have read, the iphone can take pictures but no video? Cant send MMS messages. 300-400 battery charges until you see a diminish in battery capacity. The price (not to worried about it)

So if they do a firmware upgrade to change these items, but adding a user-replacable battery that would be great. Sure most cell phones do need to have the battery replace, but I want the option of having to replace the battery on my own, instead of sending it in to get it replaced.

Also, Verizon should have moved on the iphone. I think they dropped the ball. With all the capabilities of the iphone but no 3G is a waste of time. Maybe I am just spoiled since the majority of all verizon phones have EVDO.

So I would get the iPhone if the items above were fixed and Apple allowed The Network to carry this phone. But I guess we have to wait until the 5 years is up.

Collapse -
YES...Im ordering online
by hellogoodbyehello / June 27, 2007 4:14 AM PDT

Yes I plan to order it online at friday 6 pm ...because.......its my birthday!! Its meant to be.....lol. it better be awesome. I hear its only 2.5 g....but who really cares because if you are bored enough to go on the internet on your phone...are you really in a rush??? if u are at home u will go online at home! plus i have dial up at home......so im used to the slowness

Collapse -
not if you have 3g
by tek-ed / June 27, 2007 7:17 AM PDT

Uh...if you're 3G you don't need to be bored using a cellphone as a web browser
I use my Cingular 8500 not only as a browser (which it does quite well, thank you) but also as a wireless connection for my laptop!
At a recent seminar, I plugged my 8500 into my USB and it was recognized as a network interface and popped me onto the internet with no problems...In fact, it was faster than the person next to me connected to WiFi (the T-mobile hotspots are notoriosly slow)
So, no...if you hae 3G, data flows fast.
Ed
web/gadget guru

Collapse -
Great reason Not to get the iPhone
by jeffkinder / June 27, 2007 7:21 PM PDT
In reply to: not if you have 3g

This was a great point! Thanks for waking me up to it! Jeff

Collapse -
Stay at home!!
by HorizonDataSys / June 28, 2007 2:41 AM PDT
In reply to: not if you have 3g

Why bother to go toa conference, if all you are ging to do is cruise the Internet (for what?). First, you will not annoy the speaker; nothing is worse than seeing a bunch of know-nothings, uninterested in improving their knowledge, but sitting obsessing over something on the 'net. Second. you are wasting bith your time and your money. Stay at home!

Get a life, not a phone! And an overpriced, clunky beast to boot;Just like the Mac.

Collapse -
You have issues.....
by sakurakiku02 / December 23, 2007 2:24 AM PST
In reply to: Stay at home!!

You need to chill....or get a newer phone. usually people who are as upset as you are, either cannot afford the new fangled thing people are ranting about OR you have a phone and have been disappointed by it.
So just understand where people are coming from when they say that they like phones. O well, that's their thing. Leave them alone.

Collapse -
ISSUES
by iphoneguy22 / April 1, 2008 5:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Stay at home!!

u need 2 get a life...... MACS R BETTER THAN PCs!!! Deal wit it!!!

Collapse -
Cell phones of tomorrow
by H.Norman / June 29, 2007 5:51 PM PDT

I am a short term insurance broker and probably from a differant generation to most of your readers.

When purchasing a cell phone, all I look for is:
Can I receive calls and SMS messages - Can I make calls and send SMS messages. Any other options are of no interest to me and does not add value to my business.

Norman

Collapse -
I refuse to be restricted
by rqs_007 / June 27, 2007 8:01 AM PDT

As a Blackjack user, I have so many freedoms that I would lose with the iPhone. Now, a lot of the iPhone is still a mystery (which is what Apple/AT&T wants so you'll buy it without knowing the downfalls). Having said that, why in the world would I wait in line for something that I don't even know what it does?

Think about it: we saw such much of the PS3, Wii, 360, etc. to the point that we knew if we wanted one or not.

But this phone is "so great" that they're not going to tell you 100% about it?

Give me a break! Some people call it "marketing hype", but I call it "fear".

The iPhone looks great, which is why I've dubbed it iCandy", but let's think about all of the things I WON't (allegedly) be able to do if I bought one: my videos are limited to Youtube, I can't use my music library for ring tones (which is the dumbest thing I've ever heard), no wireless downloads, no Third Generation speeds for data, no camcorder, built-in battery and SIM, no equipement insurance offered...

Do I need to go on? Now, who knows how much of this is true and how much is garbage, but since Apple/AT&T won't confirm, what am I to assume?

I'm going to err on the side of caution and pass on that $500 paper weight.

Wait, that's not fair. Let me retract that last statement. The iPhone is indeed a good phone. Revolutionary? Hardly, but still a good phone. I don't want to sound like it's not worth anything. I just doubt it's worth $500, a plan starting at $60, and a two year contract.

I'll just put it this way: if you have a non-smartphone, then this could be a step up. But leaving a Motorola Q or a Samsung Blackjack to go to an iPhone is like trading in a BMW convertible for a Buick Park Avenue. The Buick is still a nice car, but...

Collapse -
Maybe.. generation 2 or 3
by ThunderBirdsMaldives / June 27, 2007 9:35 AM PDT

The iphone looks great but I won't be getting it for a few reasons.
1) I am in Australia and Mr Jobs will not be releasing it until 2008 (maybe).

2)It is not 3G or 3.5G we have a number of networks expanding their HSPDA coverage and I'd like to be able to surf or watch mobile tv.

3)There is no GPS built in which I think would be very handy.

If these are addressed then I'll be interested. At present I am waiting for the HTC Kaiser that has HSUPA also aswell as GPS etc

Cheers

Jason

Collapse -
HEAR, HEAR!!
by FRANKIEMOUSE / June 27, 2007 10:36 AM PDT

i totally agree (except i don't live in Austraila). if it was 3g i'd order the first chance i get. since it's not i'm going to hold out for a nokia. if i'm lucky the next version of the n95 will be compatiable with at&t's 3g.

Collapse -
maybe plus
by itasara / June 27, 2007 3:34 PM PDT

This was the only answer I found closest to my decision on whether or not to buy an iphone by apple. I and my husband are entranced by the commercials. But we are still in a contract with Verizon and I'm not going to give that up especially with two children on our contract as well. However, I am a little dissappointed that apple chose just one provider. I would have thought a more global approach would have been nice. I switched from cingular, now att because most everyone I know including three of my chidlren are on verizon. Unless there is a family plan, I don't know that it will be easy to afford this service; however by then maybe the kids will be independent enough to come off our contract. Also I think the Verizon phone service is more reliable at least where I am located, although like others maybe more than others Verizon is more of a control freak on what services I can and cannot have. I think it is good that we have another year on our contract. By then I'll see what people are saying about the iphone and maybe the phone/service will cost less. I like the idea that the price includes all the extras that I have to pay for now. I want to support Apple which is one reason we would like to buy the phone. I think Apple will have a lot of competition in the future. Had apple made the phone available to all the carriers, it would have made more sense to me. Maybe eventually they will. My husband loves the idea of no push buttons on the phone. He has a lot of trouble with his big fingers pushing those tiny little buttons. So I am pretty sure we will get the iphone, but not yet.

Collapse -
Probably not.
by Ginga_gurl-58 / June 27, 2007 7:01 PM PDT

From what I heave heard you can't do alot on them and personally I think that if you wanna make a phone call or whatever, use your phone. Plus imagine how confusing it would be.

Yeah that sounded pretty immature but hey, what does a 14 year old know. Plus They're expensive, maybe at a garage sale because I am absolutely poor. Plus I hear the I-pod was pretty average too, but I guess you should keep it in your back pocket aye?

All up I think it's for computer geeks who want to look cool (me included), and If you've got the money to blow on it, go for it and tell us what you think!

Collapse -
No iPhone - It is helping to destroy the planet
by irdac / June 30, 2007 3:42 PM PDT

With a battery which is not replaceable the iPhone will be treated as a piece of junk in about a year. It is too complex to recycle and so will become yet more land fill. Though the iPhone is small the 100 million they hope to sell is a vast loss of the earth's resources. Add in the other defects mentioned in this forum and I consider it a highly undesirable object.

Collapse -
No. For two reasons.
by Kees Bakker / June 27, 2007 5:26 AM PDT

1. It's not yet available in Europe, although I read Apple and Vodaphone are near a deal like Apple has with Cingular.
2. The monthly package of $60 is way too much for me. On the average, I'm using less than $2 a month prepaid. So my communication needs would have to multilply by a factor 60 at least (considering that prepaid is more expensive per minute than a package) and I don't expect that to happen soon. So this lovely smartphone just isn't targeted at me.

Kees

Collapse -
No - Looks nice, but too expensive for limited use
by mrmagill / June 27, 2007 10:25 AM PDT
In reply to: No. For two reasons.

I agree with Kees Bakker - for limited use the device is just too expensive. I do think it has a great number of very attractive features and functions, but unless you're on the phone all the time and have a large budget available for cell use, it's just too much money.

Collapse -
yes
by kogatheninja / July 10, 2007 8:26 PM PDT

yup, im gonna wait for it to be debugged and probs wait for v2

Collapse -
Vodaphone? Not..
by ehymel / June 27, 2007 1:27 PM PDT
In reply to: No. For two reasons.

I would be surprised if Vodaphone were to carry the iPhone overseas. They own half of Verizon Wireless, which is AT&T's main U.S. competition. Purely as a guess, I think T-Mobile is a more likely contender, especially considering the roaming agreement AT&T and T-Mobile already have in the United States.

Collapse -
T-Mobile Not as Much of a Contender
by NYCwoman / June 28, 2007 9:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Vodaphone? Not..

All T-Mobile phones use SIM cards, and the I-Phone doesn't have one. I can't see T-Mobile sponsoring a non-SIM card phone just to have the I-Phone. So unless a later I-Phone model is created that will use a SIM card, I won't look for it on T-Mobile.

Collapse -
Why? I have a phone...
by JohnH / June 27, 2007 5:45 AM PDT

Cool factors are not enough. Not nearly.

Collapse -
iPhone is not a good enough value to justify the purchase
by bighuskyfan / June 28, 2007 3:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Why? I have a phone...

Besides the inevitable 1st generation of a product glitches I wouldn't by this b/c of various other issues: firmware compatibility, cost (I can think of infinitely better ways ways to spend $600 than a phone!), cost of service ($60/month will get you voice service but data service charges will kill you).

For what I would spend on iPhone and services for a year I would rather get a nice HDTV or dSLR. Either of these would provide me with better value for my money than an overhyped phone that will likely underwhelm and definitely underdeliver on promises.

Give me value and functionality. I could care less about having it because it's the new "must have" product.

Collapse -
Why bother
by IrisRose / June 28, 2007 5:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Why? I have a phone...

No, I won't be buying one unless my life changes dramatically. I never buy the first model of anything; it's way too expensive; I don't like the two year commitment; security bugs not worked out; and most of all: I simply don't feel a driving need to be connected to the world all of the time.

Collapse -
(NT) Can't agree more
by guyi / June 30, 2007 9:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Why bother
Collapse -
No to the iPhone
by Starman35 / June 27, 2007 5:47 AM PDT

My reasons are these:

1) Its way too expensive

2) I also use few cell minutes, & minute-by-minute from Virgin works well for me.

3) With (2), the contact requirements with Cingular are too onerous for us non-parrots.

Collapse -
At least not now...
by bluehorseshoe / June 27, 2007 5:48 AM PDT

I won't purchase an iPhone at this time for the following reasons:

1. First generation.
2. Cost
3. Service Provider
4. Security (need to weed out the capability of getting hijacked on a phone such as this one which runs an OS...don't want to lose any personal information)
5. Size (I have a Pearl and the size is perfect although there are trade-offs)
6. Additional features (missing SD/Micro-card slot for additional storage)
7. Keyboard (no feel keys is going to be an issue for those who have big fingers/thumbs)

While some of these issues may not be major for others, these are factors for me not to through $500-600 down on one of these. While Apple builds solid products for the most part, I'll give it some time before making the plunge.

Good things come to those who wait. Happy

Collapse -
Right on target
by BOM53 / June 27, 2007 5:59 AM PDT
In reply to: At least not now...

These are exactly the same reasons I am choosing to wait. Good analysis and helpful list for anybody to ponder.

Collapse -
More things to add to your list
by tek-ed / June 27, 2007 7:28 AM PDT
In reply to: At least not now...
Cool No seemless integration with Corporate email (Exchange anyone)
9) No industry standard support for corporate level productivity applications (read Office)
10) Phone cannot be used as a WiFi access point for a laptop
11) Phone cannot act as a wireless modem for your laptop

In short, this phone is not a good fit in the corporate environment...and to make matters worse, if you, as an employee try and bring this phone to the office and connect it to your corporate computer to synch, you will need to install iTunes on the computer. Most companies lock down this functionality...but if they do, and you have illegal music on your phone, it will then synch to a corporate owned computer which opens up a legal liability to the company about storing illegal music on corporate equipment (and don't think the RIAA won't chase this down in a heartbeat! Corporations with Millions...no, BILLIONS in revenue? What a cash cow for the RIAA!)
And with people synching their iPhone to their company computers, now the IT folk will have to deal with a sudden increase in backup space to handle the synched content on the iPhone...
Sheesh! I can see the corporate headache now! The only solution I can see is that companies formulate a policy to bar the iPhone for use in the corporate environment....this would be the death-knell of the iPhone!
Ed
web/gadget guru
Collapse -
False.
by austinjam76 / June 27, 2007 8:06 AM PDT

You can easily turn off automatic syncing to your system and manually manage your music files, just like most other music management software. The IT staff will not need to suddenly increase storage capacities on their backup systems to accommodate synced music, unless the user who has the iPhone is a complete dunce. Most early adopters know a thing or two about the product they are investing in and work wiser than some lacky at a desk job who happens to throw 8gb of data onto their crappy office workstation.

Collapse -
Not all corporations are the same
by ilikecnetname / June 27, 2007 11:20 AM PDT

I think you mean "seamless." Also, why would you assume that all corporate email is Exchange based?

Collapse -
Apple IPhone
by Tenichi1 / June 27, 2007 2:00 PM PDT

No, I will not but it, because of the restriction, not a sim card phone. Most stupid decision is not selling it independtly and make them CDMA or Sim capability.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.