Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Poll: Are you going to upgrade to Windows 7 or 8 this year?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / January 25, 2013 6:35 AM PST

To give some context to this poll, here is the discussion this poll is based off of: Should I consider upgrading to Windows 7 or 8, since XP support is ending soon?

Are you going to upgrade to Windows 7 or 8 this year?

-- Yes, an operating system upgrade only.
-- Yes, when I buy my new computer.
-- No, I'm going to wait until XP is no longer supported.
-- No, because my computer is incompatible with the newer OSes.
-- I'm still thinking about it.
-- I don't use Windows.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poll: Are you going to upgrade to Windows 7 or 8 this year?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poll: Are you going to upgrade to Windows 7 or 8 this year?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Upgrading or not?
by konditor / January 25, 2013 8:58 AM PST

I just built a new rig with the best of everything that I could afford. One thing that I did do was to run Windows 7 as the main system and XP on a virtual machine as many of my programs will not run on 7 or 8. This way I do get the best of both worlds.

Collapse -
Getting Windows 8 under protest
by lyinggod / January 25, 2013 10:20 AM PST
In reply to: Upgrading or not?

I have a new laptop coming that, unfortunately, includes windows 8. I say this because of the inefficient and ineffective "Metro/Modern" interface.

Microsoft, and others, feel that an operating system needs to be an exquisite, if not near blissful, experience. They are mistaken. The purpose of an OS is to serve as an interface between the user and the computer. It is should give the user easy and efficient access to installed programs and functions. It should promote user productivity. Windows 8 utterly fails this test.

If a computer has a touch screen, then the Modern desktop would be an interesting novelty despite the lack of necessary features that had existed in conjunction with the start button/menu. This new laptop does not and therefore the Metro GUI is nearly as worthless as it is frustrating. However, much to my relief, I found a program called "classic shell" that will return Windows 8 to the effective usability only found in windows 7 and earlier. It provides the start button and all the familiar menus as well as some pretty neat extras.

If it seems that I am talking up this shell program too much, I am not. I am merely expressing the level of frustration and dissatisfaction that Windows 8 promotes.

I also have one computer with Vista and several with XP. Whether microsoft provides support or not is not relevant. It only matters that they can run the necessary new software. Once they cant then that is the time to upgrade to the minimum usable version of windows if the systems are not too old. If that means that they will be running a shell to be usable, so be it.

I apologize for the rant and for the lack of exaggeration.

Collapse -
Just upgraded to Windows 8...
by Doh_1 / January 25, 2013 9:09 AM PST

Took the $40 upgrade to Windows 8 Pro from Windows 7 Home Premium. Good, easy upgrade. I also didn't save files or apps, and just restored what I need, so that the system is much cleaner as well *smile*. The only thing that I miss is the transparent window frames on the desktop (Aero graphics) and the solitaire program from Windows 7 *smile*, the rest of it is great. Also, I used a free program so that when I boot I go directly to the desktop. On the other hand, I use the rest of the Windows 8 idioms, there's lots of articles on the internet at this point on tips and shortcuts for doing basic, common things.

Glad that I upgraded, nice OS, more secure and faster. Also have ported the Windows 7 solitaire to Windows 8, since I really didn't like the Windows Store Solitaire Collection much at all. A simple task, well described in an internet article or two *smile*.

Also, keep in mind that if you anticipate upgrading to Windows 8, the $40 upgrade is a good one, since you can download the Windows.iso, cut media, and do the upgrade when you're ready. MS says that this upgrade is going up to $199 on February 1, but that remains to be seen.

Collapse -
Upgraded 4 computers to Win8 and bought 2 Convertables
by Neonsafari / January 25, 2013 3:34 PM PST

We are running six computers with Windows 8 and love it. It is fast and stable, and an excellent buy at $39 until the end of the month (online at microsoft.com) It works well with keyboard, mouse or touchscreen. The first machine was also our oldest desktop...one that HP had advised against as they hadn't tested 8 on it...it works extremely well...the after the very first start up of each program, it just flies along. The fastest browsing that I had ever gotten from this computer (a three year old first generation i7). I have also upgraded a four year old laptop with no problems, as well as two one year old desktops. Of course the two HP Envy x2's work perfectly and the touchscreen works well as well as the keyboard, touchpad or additional mouse if I connect it.

Windows 8 has been wonderful for us.

Collapse -
chrome
by susanai / January 25, 2013 6:45 PM PST

Can I still run Google Chrome on W8....because that's all I use. I have shut down most of windows on my pc. Waiting for the money to buy Chromium.

Collapse -
Yes. Google Chrome works fine in desktop mode.
by Neonsafari / January 26, 2013 12:39 AM PST
In reply to: chrome

Google Chrome works fine on Win 8.

Collapse -
Upgrading to Win7 Pro soon...
by pebarefoot / January 25, 2013 9:25 AM PST

I built this machine to be a win7 computer but couldn't afford to do everything at once. With 7 disappearing fast I'll be buying a copy in the next few months. I'll need to wait till I can get a new HD because I have too much to back up my7 files any other way. I'm thinking of buying an SSD to use as my boot drive and move the HDD I have in back for mass storage. Ultimately I want to add a couple larger drives and go RAID. Before I do that I'll be buying and installing a 3ghz Phenom Black quad core chipset. Then I can increase my RAM up to as much as 16gb but will only go with 8gb to start. Then I want a good video card. I'm forced by a failure to get a new audio card in February. I'll will then have what would have been a really nice gamer 4 years ago when I started, lol. Then it will be time to start purchasing the parts for the Barefoot Mk II computer, lol. Since I am legally blind good sound is very important to me. Video is still a nice thing to have since I do still have some sight. That will eventually go away too. I start learning JAWS next month so I can operate the computer even if I can't see the monitor. In fact, the monitor won't even need to be turned on. If needed I have tech savvy friends who could assemble Mk II for me.

Collapse -
Windows Upgrade
by Weld_County / January 25, 2013 9:28 AM PST

I used to run Windows - WIN95, 98, ME,2000, NT, XP, then finally Vista - 64bit - but no longer - will not upgrade to another Microsoft Windows O.S.

After Decades of frustration with Microsoft Windows, have since switched to Open Source Linux (Ubuntu) 12.1.

I've found that it does everything I need plus (in both Hardware and Software), without the "headaches and frustrations" involved with Microsoft Windows.

In my opinion, both Windows and MacIntosh (I have both) suffer from a lot of the same "Problems" (which Linux apparently does not), this main one being "Disappearing System Support".

William

Collapse -
Windows upgrade...Ubuntu?
by pebarefoot / January 25, 2013 11:30 AM PST
In reply to: Windows Upgrade

Weld_County - I tried Ubuntu several years ago but had trouble finding drivers. I hear that is no long an issue. Is this true? That is the only thing keeping me from going to Linux Ubuntu 12-10 myself. I already created the install disk. Any advice you can give, or anyone else, on that would be greatly appreciated.

Collapse -
No need
by generic / January 27, 2013 7:12 AM PST

Did you install Ubuntu only to find that something didn't work, or were you looking for drivers in preparation before installing?

Most Linux distributions have drivers built-in, so your devices should work out of the box without having to even think about drivers. This was one of my rookie mistakes when I tried out Linux a few years ago, wondering where to find Linux equivalents of my Windows drivers. I've been a happy Linux user since 2009 and haven't had to worry about drivers.

One exception are graphics card drivers, but Nvidia and AMD both have Linux drivers and it's only a concern if you play games; general desktop use should be fine with the pre-installed drivers. Another are wireless drivers which depends on the chip manufacturer but support is pretty good for most wi-fi adapters.

Collapse -
Windows upgrade
by exsencon / January 25, 2013 8:53 PM PST
In reply to: Windows Upgrade

Yes my friend, that was the right choice. I switched to Linux after meeting disaster with Vista. I have a desktop and laptop with a multiboot Linux system so I can choose whatever Linux I want to run. I am still keeping my ole WinXP because for me it is still the best Win around. I don't care one bit when they finally cancel support for it because I know at least half of the software I have on my XP won't run with Win7or8. So no problem there. I just regularly upgrade my Linuxes (not every 6 months,mind you!)and I am very happy with that.And for the few instances I really need Win, well my old WinXP still does the job.

Collapse -
Yes, you should upgrade to Windows 7 Pro, here's why.

This is what I did, so I have some experience with this. First, upgrade to Window 7 Pro. Because in Windows 7 from Pro up, you can down load, and install, from Microsoft, a virtual copy of Windows XP that runs inside your Windows 7. This way, if you have any legacy programs that won't run in Windows 7, you can install them in you virtual Windows XP, and still use them.

Next, right now, buy from Microsoft the Windows 8 Pro Upgrade. The sale ends on it February 1st, and the price goes up to over $100.00. So, get it now, while it's cheep. You can install it later, really, any time.

OK, now down load from Oracle, there free virtual machine "VirtualBox-4.2.6-82870-Win.exe". Down load the user manuals too. They're in PDF format, so any one can study them.

From your Windows 7 environment install, and set up a virtual machine using VirtualBox. Then install Windows 8 in that virtual machine. It's an upgrade, so you'll have to install something in the virtual machine first. Perhaps you still have your old Windows XP installation media, or you could use the Windows 7 media. It doesn't matter, because during the installation of Windows 8, it gives you the option of completely removing the old operating system.

So, what you end up with is one computer that is legally running Windows XP, Windows 7 Pro, and Windows 8 Pro. It's the best of all worlds, until you decide what OS you want to run as your main OS.

Good luck, and read the manuals.
Regards,
TMV

Collapse -
Need an additional response...
by luridone / January 25, 2013 10:43 AM PST

I already did.

I moved by my machine and my wife's (both homebuilts) to 7 months ago. Did mine first, and after I got comfortable with it, and her XP install got wonky enough, I put in on hers. I really liked XP, but 7 is a significant improvement. I don't see any reason to go to 8, though.

Collapse -
I checked the "When I buy a new computer" But...
by netsiu / January 25, 2013 1:31 PM PST

I did a couple yers back when MS stopped supporting 2000 and the Internet stopped supporting IE6.

Collapse -
xp is dead a OS
by Shuren-nferno / January 25, 2013 4:12 PM PST

well I used xp for couple of months and I say it sucks runs like hell slow like hell blablabla...
anyway I tested most windows and I found windows7 is the best and perfect & windows 8 is new beta os you cant trust yet

Collapse -
Missing answer option
by dukhalionite / January 25, 2013 5:57 PM PST

There should have been an option to answer: No, why should I upgrade when XP works perfectly well.
Whether Microsoft stops supporting XP or not is irrelevant, since it works well enough now with SP3. In fact, installing Win 7 or 8 onto an existing computer is a very bad idea because it breaks a working system, partly because of the newer versions being so bloated, partly because there won't be working drivers for many of Your existing hardware devices. Claims about security issues are moot because hardly anyone uses Microsofts security measures alone, if at all. The software and hardware support for XP is the most comprehensive of all Windows versions ever.
If You buy a brand new computer then it's a different question alltogether, since there will be new hardware on it and the drivers are specifically designed to work only with a newer OS.

In other words: if it works, don't fix it.

Collapse -
Yes, you should upgrade to Windows 7 Pro, here's why.
by kartini / January 25, 2013 6:27 PM PST
In reply to: Missing answer option

Yes I would definitely recommend you to upgrade Windows 7 but depending what version of windows 7 do you prefer there three editions Home Premium , Professional and Ultimate. I would prefer Professional instead of Home Premium . Professional have more feature eg: sharing another file from another computer for those have the same Professional features.

Stability yes for windows 7 and you can get printer drivers (software) easily compare to windows 8. Windows 8 not all drivers are available unless you are willing to for 6 months for printer drivers.

Get Windows 7 64 bit you may add in more memory (RAM) for speed on the notebook or pc.
I bought windows 8 but I am still waiting for printers drivers. :The next 2 years windows will come out windows 9 .Only developers know what the new features.

Collapse -
upgrading to W8
by susanai / January 25, 2013 6:48 PM PST

Could you please tell me what exactly happens to my pc when windows 'stops supporting XP?' No-one answers this question. Can I go on on and download thru Chrome as I do now.

Collapse -
XP after support stops...
by pebarefoot / January 25, 2013 10:19 PM PST
In reply to: upgrading to W8

You will still be able to use XP as before. At least till it becomes totally obsolete. The only thing that will happen is MS will no longer provide updates fpor XP. This includes security patches. Thus it will become ever more vulnerable to malware attacks. Your security protection will gradually become less effective as companies optimize their security suites for more modern OSs.
It might still be a good idea to grab a copy of Win7 while you still can. Just in case. Win8 is an even bigger problem that Vista was. At least in terms of sales. MS will eventually come out with 9. Which will possibly be as good as 7 was after the Vista fiasco. That may come out as soon as a couple of years but may take longer. Who knows?
Win7 Pro 64 bit is a great OS, faster and more secure than XP and it can do even more. You should determine if 7 will even run on your old computer before buying it, however. You may have no choice but to buy a newer computer.
I hope this helps, Paula

Collapse -
XP after support stops
by susanai / January 26, 2013 6:25 PM PST

Windows has not updated me for 18 months.

Collapse -
No Real Change
by Neonsafari / January 26, 2013 12:47 AM PST
In reply to: upgrading to W8

After Microsoft stops supporting XP, there will be no additional driver support, etc...you probably won't see any change and Chrome will still work for you.

Collapse -
to NoRealChange
by susanai / January 26, 2013 6:28 PM PST
In reply to: No Real Change

Thanks. I will stay with my computer as is then. Windows does not update me anymore, has not for over a year so I really, I have no support from them now.

Collapse -
Windows 8 Upgrade
by MorrisSouthHound / January 25, 2013 11:02 PM PST

The information I read about Windows 8 does not motivate me. Right now I have Windows 7 and am satisfied with it. I was more excited when Windows 95 & 98 were available. This "New" OS seems to be all frills and no substance. In my opinion having a tablet, either android or iPad is a better choice.

Collapse -
NO ...wait for....
by Boothbay / January 25, 2013 11:33 PM PST

Win 10,11 or 12 don't you see this is all hype by microsoft to get 'us' to keep throwing away working machines so we can make them richer. Just what is lacking now that it would make it worthwhile to replace? Maybe when computers can do 3D, then you can see your spreadsheets pop your eyeballs.

Collapse -
A couple of valid responses were not listed.
by TerryMZM / January 25, 2013 11:59 PM PST

Why wasn't this response listed: No, I do not plan to upgrade to Windows 7 this year.
Another response could have been: No, I will not upgrade(downgrade) to Windows 8.

Collapse -
Poll needs another option
by Sqeez78 / January 26, 2013 3:11 AM PST

What about those of us who already use Win7 or 8? I just answered affirmative, but I'm not sure if I'll be getting a new machine this calendar year.

Collapse -
Win 8
by pgc3 / January 26, 2013 3:54 AM PST

Yes, experimentally as a third OS, Win 7 and Linux being the mainstays.

Collapse -
Decisions, decisions, decisions.
by Technogeek24 / January 26, 2013 10:20 AM PST

I have a new desktop with windows 7, a laptop with Vista, and 3 laptops with XP. I have a desktop with 98, one with 2000, one with ME. I have some expensive, useful programs that will not work on newer machines. So I just keep the old clunkers for specific tasks. The old OS's haven't been supported for a long time, but they still work great, and I will continue to use XP for the same reason. This works for me, though my family thinks I'm nuts. (I am, but don't tell anyone). What the heck, I love old things (including my worn-out body). My $.02 worth.

Collapse -
Black and Blue Upgrade
by blubbabutter / January 27, 2013 6:26 AM PST

When I upgraded from DOS 3 to 3.1 and then from Windows 1 to 3 all was fairly well. I just upgraded a Vista and Windows 7 machine to Windows 8 after purchasing TWO Product Keys at about $70 each. My posterior is black and blue from my size 13 kicking it every time I open Windows 8 on one of the new machines' software. To say I am disappointed is an understatement. When I went to Windows 95 and then 98 I had no problems. I skipped Windows ME, 2000 but bought XP and loved it. I still use it from time to time and it works as well now as then. I bought a laptop with Vista and it was O.K. but not a super software package. Windows 7 has been delightful but then came 8 and it has been awful. I fully recognize that much of it is my being spoiled to 7; however, I am stuck and will become a dedicated user so to speak unless I can redo my hardware to look like MacBooks.

Bottom Line: Upgrade to 8 if and only if you need to or cannot resist the urge to kick your posterior black and blue.

Collapse -
Win 7
by dale5351 / February 1, 2013 8:05 AM PST

I bought a new desktop computer on Black Friday with Win 7 Pro on it, just to avoid having to buy one later with Win 8. My other computer is XP Pro. I expect that I will stick with Win 7 until after Win 8 dies like Vista did. I've read nothing that makes me want to use it, and lots that makes me not want it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.