iPhones, iPods, & iPads forum

General discussion

Poll: Are you going to buy the new third-generation iPad?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / March 23, 2012 7:12 AM PDT
Are you going to buy the new third-generation iPad?

-- Yes, I'm upgrading from an older version. (Which one?)
-- Yes, this will be my first tablet.
-- Yes, I'm replacing my non-Apple tablet. (What are you replacing?)
-- I haven't decided yet. (What's holding you back?)
-- I already bought one. (How do you like it?)
-- No, I'm not an Apple product fan. (Please explain.)
-- No, it's just not compelling enough. (How so?)
-- No, tablets are not my cup of tea. (Why not?)
-- No, I'm sticking with my older iPad.
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poll: Are you going to buy the new third-generation iPad?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poll: Are you going to buy the new third-generation iPad?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by birdmantd Forum moderator / March 23, 2012 8:07 AM PDT

Still happy with my original iPad (first model)

Collapse -
by DH1 / March 25, 2012 3:34 AM PDT
In reply to: No

No. Reasons:
1) Unnecessary toy
2) My PC and smartphone keep me busy and confused enough
3) Too expensive

Collapse -
(NT) No, sticking with the iPad2
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 23, 2012 8:52 AM PDT
Collapse -
Buying The New I-Pad
by 1teppy / March 23, 2012 10:16 AM PDT

No. I don't even have one of the first generation ones. I believe they're somewhat similar to when you
purchase a new car. When you buy a new car, the car goes down $1,000.00 as soon as you drive
it off the lot. When you buy buy an new I-Pad/Cell-Phone/etc, the item becomes obsolete within
6 mos. to a year within purchase, or until the new model comes out.

Collapse -
Yes - Plan on buying one
by marks5 / March 23, 2012 10:57 AM PDT

Yes, I plan on buying one.

Although it will mainly be used by my wife who has never used a computer!

She says she's finally ready to take the plunge and use one....in case you're wondering why she never used a computer before, it's a combination of reasons both physical and technical related. I'm hoping that she will enjoy using it and be able to make good use of it.

Collapse -
I got a net book and not use it a lot so iPad not ether.
by Raymond Day / March 23, 2012 11:12 AM PDT

Beside it seems like they rip you off by adding $100 for just 16 GB more. They don't put a SD slot in it so you can add your own low price memory.

-Raymond Day

Collapse -
Yeah, I've drunken the cool-aid *smile*
by Doh_1 / March 23, 2012 11:35 AM PDT

I've been watching iPad's until now. The high-res display convinced me that now is the time. Along with the Verizon one having a sim card so that I can use it in Europe, etc. My iPhone 4 doesn't have this, and it seems like it would be useful to be able to use this while traveling. By the way, I love it, it's kind of like a big iPhone, much more usable in a lap, but doesn't fit in a pocket. I also have a large laptop (17") that's really powerful, but basically a desktop replacement so that I can work remotely, other than from my home. The large laptop tends to crush my lap *smile*, but it's very nice to be able to have the iPad in my lap for email (work and personal), and for playing games, etc. I don't think that the iPad will replace laptops, especially the ultrabooks like the MacBook Air, and the Windows ultrabooks, but there's a place for it as a very portable, lightweight device with great video. And for out-of-the-country travel, too.

Collapse -
iPad 2 was great BUT not for EXCELheavy user
by bdarrah / March 23, 2012 1:48 PM PDT

Loved my iPad 2 for e-mail, web, viewing sports not on TV - used a Kensington Keyboard Case.
Problem- it was useless for an active EXCEL user. So gave it to my son (30 year old college student - after serving in Iraq and Afghanistan in the Marines). He loves it.
I went to a MacBook Pro 13" and it handles EXCEL like a pro. Able to "duplicate" my iMac software and setup through connecting my Time Machine which is on an external hard drive - had to get a couple of licenses for some software, but quick to set up and is now my travel computer that the iPad 2 did not fulfill. Storing active EXCEL workbooks in Dropbox lets you mve back and forth with ease - travel or to a different room - your data is there on both machines.
So - if you are looking for e-mail, photos, web surfing, music - iPad is great and beautiful.
If you want to do computations or word processing, a small MacBook Pro does a fantastic job.
Decide your use then pick your device.
Keep Smiling.

Collapse -
Not yet
by sandtrout / March 23, 2012 1:58 PM PDT

I have an iPad 2 that does what I need it to do. The only reason I would up grade is if they put in a SD slot so that I can store items (like books) and not have to save them in iTunes or iCloud. I will not jailbreak my iPad, I know just enough to really mess it up.

Collapse -
Yep! Using it now to type this message!
by Sretko / March 23, 2012 4:17 PM PDT

Had the iPad 1 and it revolutionised my media consumption and my work production. I skipped the iPad 2 so was due for an upgrade. And Apple has not disappointed. I can't wait for more apps that take advantage of the retina display. It is so much faster than the first gen iPad. So if I had an iPad 2 I might not have justified it but this significant upgrade for me made it a no brainier.

Collapse -
Every dynasty has its end.
by hifly.liu / March 23, 2012 7:45 PM PDT

Apple was dead if not for Jobs returned at 1996. You can say Jobs is the all for Apple.
Now Jobs' gone, I don't think there's another genius to continue the epic.
There's only one chance : If Jobs not realy dead ?

Collapse -
by pepenavarro / March 24, 2012 3:31 AM PDT

I buy this one and sell my iPad 2. I do that with my iPhones as well. This way, I keep the latest (which can be sold at a reasonable price just in the right moment) for a modest yearly fee. Hey, I might even start a business doing that on a large scale - it seems like a good idea!

Collapse -
I need 1 so will have to buy one not sure which as yet as I
by moveing / March 24, 2012 4:15 AM PDT

I am going to need a reader of some kind not sure which yet as joined the reading site which is worthy only thing is when I down loaded to laptop it ended up on 25 different sites thankfully I only tried 1 to see how it worked 1 book 25 sites overkill now until I get a reader of somesort will just have to wait & try rest out in process of moving so look into more & try & get more understanding of how everything works so be patient I will get there if we can get to where we are going at least this time have had aboyt 5hrs sleep. Need to get ready for todays step then will take from their.

Collapse -
by Rillnik / March 24, 2012 6:55 AM PDT

Haven't even made it off my desktop to a laptop yet.

Collapse -
i want to but.

if you want to buy something you need to have the amount of money to own it..but i don't have the money yet. and they sell it too expensive here in Suriname. and i am also a student so it's gonna take a while too collect the money to buy it. but i really need one i rather own a i pad than a blackberry.

Collapse -
Take off The apple blinders
by deltoncbaker / March 24, 2012 4:19 PM PDT

The only thing I like about the Apple iPad III is the camera. 100% of my music is stored in iTunes, but I rarely purchase anything from them. I think I could use Microsoft just a easily. The interface they use is very easily damaged. My wife and I both have iPod's. I leave mine in a Bose iDock and my wife uses hers at work and at home. Hers no longer works in the Bose or USB port type device because the interface on the iPod itself is damaged. What do you do when the battery dies? I here you can send in for repair, but doubt very seriously it is worth the shipping cost. Worst of all the CPU performance in my mine in no way commands the price tag they want. The internal storage be minimum of 128GB. I just feel I am being sold a load and I am expected to say thank you.

Collapse -
Yes. This is our first tablet
by timmylish / April 2, 2012 10:39 AM PDT

and it will keep Mrs.T. occupied so that I can watch the TV when I want! Worth every cent.

Collapse -
by mopscare42 / April 5, 2012 11:34 AM PDT

I have the iPad2 and don't see that much difference to run out and spend $499.99 for a better looking display.
I have heard the New iPad is faster, but my neighbor just bought one (Their 1st iPad) and I don't see any difference in speed.
That display is nice, but not a $499.99 nice.
I will stick with the iPad2 until the iPad 4, 5 or 6 comes out.

Collapse -
by didodi902 / April 9, 2012 5:31 PM PDT

iPad 2 is enough for me

Collapse -
Yes, I'm replacing my non-Apple tablet. (Asus)

I'm planning to buy an iPAD, but I want to know first the differences between iPAD2 and IPAD3. Could you please introduce some to me?

Collapse -
re: iPad 3
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.