Laptops forum

General discussion

Poll: Are you going to buy a Chromebook in the near future?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / April 12, 2013 8:54 AM PDT
Do you see yourself buying a Google Chrome OS-based laptop in the near future?

-- Yes. (Would this be your primary computer?)
-- No. (Why not?)
-- Undecided. (What's holding you back?)
-- I'm already using one. (How's it working out for you?)

Get your votes in here:
http://forums.cnet.com/2706-21566_102-2152.html
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poll: Are you going to buy a Chromebook in the near future?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poll: Are you going to buy a Chromebook in the near future?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
NO
by John11C / April 12, 2013 10:15 AM PDT

I see no reason to do this why get your self into a very limited machine and if the internet connection is marginal and the speed of the connection is slow or has throttled/ limited bandwidth what good is the computer with that depending on the connection speed plus the speed decreases as more wifi connections are nearby as it has to send the packets over again if there is a lot of interference from others using the same band

Collapse -
No
by wpgwpg / April 12, 2013 10:26 AM PDT

No, I have 4 desktops, a nice laptop, and a Kindle Fire. I believe most folks would say that's enough. It's more than enough for me.

Collapse -
A resounding, emphatic, absolute NO!
by NOT-STRESSED / April 12, 2013 10:41 AM PDT

While cloud computing has many merits, there is no way I'm going to trust being able to get online every time I need to work on my computer. Especially being a laptop, it is meant to be taken places, not chained to an internet connection like a desktop computer. So if I want to take it outside, or to a beach or even on a boat in the middle of nowhere, or anywhere in the middle of nowhere for that matter, it will be a reminder that I bought a portable laptop that can't be carried everywhere. Sure, there are always more hotspots opening up, but they do not cover large areas, and many are password protected, so I'd find myself carrying as you say in the article, a paper weight.

I could see getting a desktop unit that is connected to an always-on internet feed, but even those can stop working for any number of reasons, whereas a computer with local storage and local apps would just keep chugging along even in a blackout, the laptop due to its built-in battery and both laptops and desktops with the aid of a UPS power supply.

The alternative? The traditional desktop, laptop, cellphone or now tablets. They will all work with cloud computing if that makes sense, (collaboration for example), but there is a whole world full of opportunities and capabilities that will outshine the cloud computing paradigm by offering more options for apps, backups, not to mention speed.

Cloud computing will never match local computing for speed and storage. You can easily add more local storage, whether hard drives or flash storage, and you are not limited by internet congestion or distance from your wifi or other hotspot.

Other than the above, I have absolutely no issues with a computer that is limited to cloud computing. Go for it if it floats your boat, but just don't try to sail away from the dock.

Collapse -
'Philippines where clouds only bring rain, not internet
by jnieurzyla / April 12, 2013 11:03 AM PDT

I live in the Philippines, and to be honest the broadband they offer here is cr*p at the best of times, dont believe the hype here about services, there is no restriction on telling the lies here about anything. I live in a city, and I struggle to get a .25 mg download, I cannot even subscribe to dsl as there is no provision here. coverage of dsl is for only certain areas mainly Manila, the majority of the country has to make do with wimax, unfortunately it is terribly over subscribed. So using cloud is simply that that, a cloud dream.

Collapse -
No Way!
by chillmog / April 12, 2013 11:18 AM PDT

A Chromebook would be fine for surfing the web since you need to be connected to the internet anyway. Offline use is very limited just like with a tablet. Which is not surprising since a Chromebook is essentially a big tablet.

Cloud computing has a lot of advantages for business use (I was involved in a pilot remote desktop computing project for my organization prior to retiring last year and saw a lot of the advantages and disadvantages.) It works for some but useless for others. Personal computing is much the same. It may work for some but not for me. I for one am often somewhere with no internet connection and can work offline with my laptop. I also do some things that are not possible with a Chromebook.

One other point about cloud computing that is seldom mentioned but very important is what happens to your personal data if something happens to you. I have seen recent news articles about the problems surviving spouses and other family members have accessing a person's cloud account when they pass away or become incapacitated. I prefer to keep the information my wife may need on my laptop where she can get to it when she needs it.

Collapse -
Not so fast ...
by NOT-STRESSED / April 13, 2013 7:19 PM PDT
In reply to: No Way!

by chillmog - 4/12/13 6:18 PM - "A Chromebook would be fine for surfing the web since you need to be connected to the internet anyway. Offline use is very limited just like with a tablet. Which is not surprising since a Chromebook is essentially a big tablet."

Have you even looked to see what is available for tablets?

I have a word processor, spreadsheet, database and presentation app, all locally stored, that will suffice even for most offices, and numerous other content creation apps that are all available from local storage, so no need to go online, nor worry about your connection going belly up just as you are about to finish an important document.

I have these apps o,n an iPad, and often use it offline since the apps and their associated files are both on the iPad but Microsoft's Surface RT tablet comes with a version of MS Office buit-in, and more importantly, also look what is available for Microsoft's Surface Pro with the full Windows OS (hint: it will run most full Windows desktop app; also check out what is available for Google's Android OS. Note I said Android OS, not the Chrome OS.

The only thing Chromebook has over tablets is the keyboard, but then again, look at all the Microsoft Surface commercials: they really push the optional keyboard, though I don't like the way Microsoft makes it look as if it came with the tablet and wasn't an optional extra cost item.

Don't like the Surface? In addition to keyboard that also holds the screen as if it was a laptop screen, there are wireless keyboards that work with the iPads (and iPods and iPhones), and I haven't looked into it, but I would be surprised if they didn't also have keyboards that work with Android tablets.

IMHO, cloud computing has its place, but limiting yourself to a device that you can only use when you are online, is not the best use for your resources.

Collapse -
It's CHROMEBOOK for me!
by pvankersen / April 12, 2013 11:54 AM PDT

I have purchased three Acer Chromebooks. It's a better value than the iPad, and accomplishes
the same tasks - but better! Don't listen to the naysayers. It is a fabulous product.

Collapse -
Why bother? A regular netbook does the same thing and more!
by sbill / April 12, 2013 12:16 PM PDT

I can't think of any reason to buy a Google Chromebook. If I wanted a super-thin, low-performance computer, then logically I'd buy a standard netbook with Windows 7 Starter. Though not a powerhouse, a standard netbook will at least run most standard business applications, and most common websites without any problem. A Google Chromebook might be great for email and web browsing, but that's about it. You can't load your own software on it, so it's not a "real" computer.

Collapse -
Chromebook?
by Ron Geiken / April 12, 2013 12:19 PM PDT

I think that this device is mainly for corporate use and not individuals. They are less expensive since this is actually a simpler operating system, but like most people want to be able to do things on my computer without being on the internet. I have a High Speed internet and could probably use a Chromebook, but not sure why I would want to. I like having W7 and both of my comptuers are high speed and a Chromebook would not be of much use to me. I also have a Nexus 10 tablet, so that is enough of a complement of computing equipment for me. I'm sure they are very practical in many situations, but I don't have those. I have never seen any data on what these devices are really capable of, and since I didn't see one in my future, I have not venturered into learning more about them.

Collapse -
NO! With a BIG N O.
by netsiu / April 12, 2013 12:34 PM PDT

I will not use anything that requires cloud anything until the last PC has left the earth. I should be dead and pretty well decade by then.

Collapse -
I've been using one
by ESUNintel / April 12, 2013 12:52 PM PDT

At $250 and looking so nice on a Best Buy display all by itself with no other computers or tablets around it, I just had to get it. In a nutshell, it's nothing more than a computer that only runs the Chrome browser.

Just to see if I could survive without my cool laptop that could handle anything, I forced myself to only use my iPad mini, smartphone, and the Chromebook for a full week. The Chromebook is pretty much useless without being online, but being able to use the hotspot in the iPad and smartphone let me connect from pretty much everywhere.

Google Docs does work offline, but I found it to be a bit to unstable; even when online. Evernote online isn't the same application it is on Windows, OS X, or any of the mobile platforms. I also don't like how advanced cloud solutions, like alternatives to development platforms, require a monthly or yearly subscription. I would be fine if I could buy an app like I do on the iPad - even if the app costs me $60; however, paying several $5 monthly subscriptions could get pricey.

There are a few things I do love about the Chromebook - like CloudPrint, the nice keyboard, and fact that it has a full browser, unlike browsers found on many tablets. One thing that's really cool is if you reset the Chromebook, and login again - everything looks intact, as if you never restored the system; I with Windows could do that (OS X sort of could thanks to Time Machine, but it still isn't as quick as a Chromebook restore).

What I've found is that if I'm at home I tend to go to the Chromebook instead of my normal laptop or iPad mini, but when on the go, I always grab the iPad Mini and my regular laptop - or sometime just the Mini.

I really think that many people would love the Chromebook if they give it a try, and they would also find they can live with it as their main computer. ...but I would suggest these people have a Cloud Print ready printer, and have a premium broadband plan at home, or someone to use an LTE hotspot.

Collapse -
Sorry, Google...
by l8rb / April 13, 2013 1:06 PM PDT

It is a pretty little thang, but at this time ONLY useful in niche markets.

Additionally, I have enough headaches keeping up with my financial life being kept and abused online, I am nowhere near ready to put the entirety of my computing life in the hands of......?!?!?

Lastly, I spend WAAAYYY too much time in an area (just outside of a third-tier major city!) that has NO an I mean NO access to internet without a cell phone or satellite dish...portable stand-alone drives are MUCH cheaper and safer!

I'll keep my current system, thanx!

Collapse -
No I received one one of the
by orlbuckeye / April 15, 2013 5:23 AM PDT

free prototypes at work and that hasn't gave me the need to have one especially the pixel at 1599.

Collapse -
(NT) One reason-Google
by KC From KC / April 16, 2013 2:08 AM PDT
Collapse -
WHY?
by JohnBoy1012 / April 17, 2013 1:11 AM PDT

Chromebook - just another of Googles attempts to get more control over everyones data. Why would anyone in their right mind store important information in the "cloud"? It is just asking to have it stolen. How can anyone believe this information is safe on some corporations cloud drives? How could you possibly be reassured with some type written web page posing as your guarantee? What happens when this corporation is sold? Where is it located? and on and on. To many questions, to few answers by to many of the faceless and nameless.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.