Storage forum

General discussion

Poll: Are you currently using terabyte hard drives?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / August 23, 2013 9:38 AM PDT
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poll: Are you currently using terabyte hard drives?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poll: Are you currently using terabyte hard drives?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes, I have 3 Hdd.
by Oldartq / August 23, 2013 10:43 AM PDT

I just can't help it. I am a sucker for bargain. What am I to do when you can get 2 tera-fying Hdd. for under $70?

Collapse -
i am not using one
by rmx77 / August 23, 2013 11:08 AM PDT

i don't happen to have one cause i don't ever have enough money to buy one and some hard drives i see are expencive to me. the biggest hard drive i have is an old 320gb ide hard drive. i know i should get with the times but its what i can get cheap or free.

Collapse -
by mwooge / August 23, 2013 12:04 PM PDT

I've got two, partly for data and partly for backup each from the other.

Collapse -
I have three 1TB drives
by Crash2100 / August 23, 2013 12:06 PM PDT

I am using 1TB in a computer I built two years ago and a RAID-1 server bought around the same time, and even with doing video editing, I have only filled about 40% of this.

Collapse -
yes I have a new portable 1T HD
by waikwen / August 23, 2013 12:14 PM PDT

Am still struggling to install the bundled drive manager software which takes up a lot of the touted 1T space! No support for using on Windows 8 either .....but the prices are coming down fast which makes it attractive.

Collapse -
12 TB in Terabyte drives
by richchrono / August 23, 2013 3:00 PM PDT

I have six 2TB drives configured in 2 RAID 5's; one in a desktop and one in a NAS. So, 8TB usable.

Collapse -
They're cheap, why not?
by UKARURLMXCU / August 23, 2013 3:07 PM PDT

In my primary machine, I have a 1TB drive and a 4TB drive mounted internally. Externally, I have a 2 TB, a 3 TB, and a 4TB attached. Although they are not terabyte drives, I also have a 750 GB drive and a 640 GB drive mounted in the HP plug-and-play drive bays. Why? I use Windows Media Center a LOT (I record an average of 4 movies a day) and I need the space. I also use the external 4TB drive as a backup device.

Collapse -
Why Use Terabyte drives?
by Themisive / August 23, 2013 11:46 PM PDT

I use 3 250Gb drives, there is a valid reason for this.

1) On C drive I have my O/S, drivers and any other programmes that MUST be on C.;
2) D Drive holds all my various Programme files and any games i have installed.;
3) E drive has ALL my personal data files (such as word or Excel files that are irreplaceable).

This is done deliberately. I did have one of the drives (the C drive crash on me, it also wiped out my D drive However, E drive was untouched. with a single drive even though partitioned this would not be the case - the whole drive would be wiped out, meaning that unless you backed up the data section regularly you would lose everything.. My motto better safe than sorry.

Collapse -
A tip to go along with the question
by Steven Haninger / August 24, 2013 3:13 AM PDT

I've recently made hard drive image backups of school PCs. One set of PCs had 500 GB drives and the other 1TB hard drives. Both sets had about the same amount of hard drive space in use...or about 40-50 GB. Creating the image of the 500 GB drives required less than 15 minutes but the image creation of the 1 TB drives took over 2 hours. As well, the image created of the larger drives was about 3X the size of that of the smaller drives. Why?. The answer seems to be that imaging utility (Acronis True Image) defaults to the sector by sector mode of operation at some drive size threshold. This means that, rather than ignoring the free space, it copies that as well.

My version of the utility (2010) is not current, however. That being said, anyone who uses drive imaging in their backup scheme might want to take note of this finding. Personally, I think it's foolish to buy a larger drive just because the cost per GB is less. Who buys a 20 room house but only has 2 rooms of furniture for it?

Collapse -
Yes. 12tb in RAID 5
by StevePeacock / August 24, 2013 3:13 AM PDT

6x2tb in a separate RAID enclosure. Works great! Took a little fooling around to understand and get it right.

I followed the link below on type of storage device (Enterprise):

My enclosure manufacturer suggested:

Seagate 500GB (ST3500514NS)
Seagate 750GB (ST3750330NS)
Seagate 1TB (ST31000524NS)
Seagate 2TB (ST32000644NS)
Western Digital 500GB (WD5002ABYS)
Western Digital 1TB (WD1002FBYS)
Western Digital 2TB (WD2003FYYS)
Hitachi 500GB (0F11000)
Hitachi 1TB (0A39289)
Hitachi 2TB (0F10452)
Hitachi 3TB (0F12456)
Hitachi 4TB (0F14683)

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.