Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

Poll: Apple customer service: Better or worse?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / May 21, 2013 9:22 AM PDT
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poll: Apple customer service: Better or worse?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poll: Apple customer service: Better or worse?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Apple Customer Service
by CactusPrick / May 21, 2013 10:26 AM PDT

I have only used the Genius bar three times. Once for my iPad and twice for my iMac. I've been completely satisfied every time. The wait (with an appointment) was minimal and they corrected my problem every time. The personnel were polite and were not reluctant to get someone to assist when they couldn't fix things. I've seen no change over time.

I can understand frustration with not getting a better offer for a replacement, but warranty terms and conditions do apply. That being said, managers should have some latitude in making adjustments.

Collapse -
They Were of No Help When I Had an iPod Problem
by CarolinaPalmetto / May 21, 2013 11:35 AM PDT

Recently, an episode of a TV series I purchased would not download in the proper order to my iPod. When I contacted CS about this, they had several things they told me to try (none of which worked). Consequently they told me to go to their "pay" tech site. I did not feel this right just because my iPod was out of warranty. Even as a novice to techy stuff, I knew this was a problem on their end as I have purchased four other series and each of them downloaded to my iPod in the proper order. I am sure that every other person who bought this episode was experiencing the same exact problem but they seemed totally unconcerned with my predicament. Totally soured me on Apple products so needless to say I won't be buying an iPad or Mac anytime in the future.

Collapse -
I agree
by URairSpace / May 31, 2013 6:51 AM PDT

I agree, APPLE will start to help to solve the problem BUT when they get to the REAL solution, it will cost money!! I'm a LONG time MAC customer. I've known nothing but the Mac system. I find this to be VERY UNFAIR. I'm currently a iMAC OSX owner.
I too have run into "this" problem with Mac Tech Support, and find it very unfair!!
In reality, the reason people CALL TECH SUPPORT >>> IS FOR HELP.
MAC KNOWS YOU NEED THEM!!! And they take advantage of the customer - it's UNFAIR!!

APPLE should 'be there for their customers' when they need them! OR, as this shows
they're going to LOSE customers Sad

Collapse -
Not a Regular Apple Products User
by allisonr / May 21, 2013 2:16 PM PDT

In my limited experience of Apple Support their team has always afforded me an excellant professional service especiallay when experiencing problems with my iPhone and when using iTunes.
Highly Recommended

Collapse -
Apple poll
by ghosty191 / May 21, 2013 2:19 PM PDT

I think you forgot to enter another category in the recent poll about Apple and their customer service qualifications. Since I have never owned or would ever want to own, anything built or produced by the Apple company, I really couldn't answer the "I wouldn't know, I've never had to use them.", which would make it sound like I have an Apple product, but haven't had problems with it.

Since I am among the crowd that doesn't recognize Apple as an entity, this poll is either very slanted towards Apple, and those who wish to choose the 4th alternative are sadly counted as Perfect Apple product owners...

Collapse -
Apple customer service
by kitkimes / May 21, 2013 3:33 PM PDT

I wouldn't know. I've never owned an Apple product and never will.

Collapse -
Long time Apple user
by mrwildbill / May 21, 2013 10:10 PM PDT

As a long time Apple user I've had occasional interactions with the Apple genius bar. Apple service has received its longstanding positive reviews for good reason. The ability to make consistently reliable appointments, the range of technical expertise, the interminable patience, and the insistence on resolving customer problems is unparalleled in the consumer electronics industry. (1) My wife and I were smart phone novices: their delivery person spent 90 minutes with us ensuring we got a quick start into this new technology, able essentially all of the phone's features before we left the store. (2) A network issue resulted in a thorough explanation of the possible problems and solutions . . . which solved my problem. (3) An off-warranty laptop internal wiring harness failure resulted in a new screen, covered on under an extended warrantee they sold to me on the spot. (Resulted savings = $500). (4) We've nevr had those ubiquitous virus issues . . . it's a Mac, after all. We've never had an iPOD failure, although a software freeze was easily solved over the phone.

I didn't choose to fall in love with Apples. They lured me with absurdly great service.

Collapse -
Consistently very good!
by Practical-Mac / May 22, 2013 12:42 AM PDT

Considering how incredibly busy they are, they have always served me very well.

Once they scratched out-of-warranty iMac doing repair, they replaced the housing. True they caused more inconvenience, but they fixed the problem without question.

Collapse -
thnkssssssss
by pnuota / May 22, 2013 6:36 AM PDT

thnkssssssss

Collapse -
Never a problem
by jimzim2714 / May 23, 2013 12:50 AM PDT

I have used the Genius Bar on several occasions. I have had nothing but the best of service. One genius went out of his way to help me with my old iPhone 3G. He spent a good 15 minutes helping me. That is above and beyond and great customer service.

Collapse -
Do you think Apple customer service has gotten better or wor
by MrTreize / May 23, 2013 10:00 AM PDT

In my experience being a world traveller, their in store customer service has been outstanding. There are few brands that have retail locations all over the world that are dedicated to servicing your device. When I was in Singapore and my MacBook Pro batter reached the end of it's servicable life, getting a replacement under warranty was as simple as showing up. When my keyboard stopped responding in Malaysia, repairs were completed in one day. However, their phone customer service in regards to anything, especially their iTunes store, is horrible mostly because of their policies regarding phone customer service. This is not an Apple exclusive though, big tech companies like Microsoft and Google suffer from similar telephone customer service horribleness.

Collapse -
Really dissapointed
by deandra170711 / March 3, 2014 8:01 AM PST

I have had contacts with them so many times, and I am very disappointed with them.

A 'Genius' looked annoyed when I ask questions about the item and the service. Well, I have the rights to ask a lot of questions because of my bad experience with them.

I bought an iPhone from Apple Store in US in May 2012. Before I bought the phone and the Apple Care+, I asked the salesperson if the warranty is covered Internationally, and the person said yes. So, I went ahead and bought the two. The next day, I bought another one for my sister, with the warranty as well. The reason I asked whether or not it is covered Internationally was because the phones are planned to be used overseas. I am an International student at that time in the US until August 2012. So, I went back to my home country after I graduated. When the iPhone 5 came out, I wanted to upgrade to that, and planned to get the phone replaced because of the problems with the phone before I could sell it for $550 with the warranty. However, I found out that the warranty is only applicable in the US. I went to call to Apple Singapore and they confirmed it. So, The option for me was to send the phone to the US to get it repaired, or just stuck with it. Sending a phone from my country to the US is really expensive. Same if I buy an airplane ticket to come the US just for the warranty. So, I was stuck with the phone for over a year until I returned to the United States to further my studies. When I went in to Apple Store (different store than where I bought the phone)., I found out that the serial number attached to warranty is no longer the same as my iPhone. It said that the phone I originally bought was replaced by a third party. This one, I got it resolved, but it was disappointing. Then, I went ahead to customer relation over the phone and stated my issues, but even so I had to wait weeks to receive reply from them. I had to rely on email because the iPhone I bought was stolen. At the same time, my mac was broken and it would cost me a grand to repair it, and another 700-800 bucks for a phone. I cannot do contracts because of international student. I tried telling them that I think a new black iPhone 5S would be equal for all my troubles, considering I bought two phones (unlocked versions) with the warranty, and never get the chance to enjoy the privileges. All because of the misleading information. But, the best they are willing to do for me is to refund $99 for the warranty because the other iPhone was already sold by my sister because of the same problem. They said that the 99 bucks is already more than what they usually refund. They said they originally supposed to refund me $53, and looks like they were saying that they act as an angel by giving $99... Yes, the refund is necessary, but this is more than just a refund.

I am really disappointed because i have been a big fan of their product, but now I do not know what to do anymore. I won't be able to afford their products anymore, considering the service that comes with it. We all know that their products need a lot of service one way or another. If any of you had the same or similar problem, please share. This iPad would be the last Apple product I own, unless they come up with an unexpected response towards my case. But, I do not see that happening....

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.