Car Tech

General discussion

Polaroid Portable 10" DVD player with swivel screen.

by fishhatch / June 7, 2005 11:34 AM PDT

Anyone have anything good or bad to say. Or know where I can get some reviews? Thanks for the help!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Polaroid Portable 10" DVD player with swivel screen.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Polaroid Portable 10" DVD player with swivel screen.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just add REVIEW to the Google search
by ChuckT / June 7, 2005 4:41 PM PDT
Collapse -
Thanks ChuckT
by fishhatch / June 8, 2005 7:24 AM PDT

Got some good and bad reviews. All bad reviews were sound based.

Collapse -
Not that model...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 7, 2005 11:16 PM PDT

But another one would burn up if you plugged it into the AC with the battery pack attached and you left it for a week.

It was cheap and worked, but on second thought, this is a glaring product defect. Yes, the instructions note not to charge overnight but only for 3 to 4 hours.

Very odd and if your model notes this, reconsider.

Bob

Collapse -
The model is the PDV 1008N
by fishhatch / June 8, 2005 6:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Not that model...

Can get it at Walmart now for 270.00 with all goodies. I like the 10" screen, would mainly be used in the car for my daughter. The 1002A comes with a battery and MP3 ablity. It costs 299.00 at Walmart but is out of stock. Thanks.

Collapse -
The name Polaroid in this case is not adding value.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 9, 2005 1:30 AM PDT

If you research what happened to Polaroid (the company) they imploded (quite a story in itself about blind to what's going on in the camera world) and now seem to be willing to sell their good name for a buck.

-> My Polaroid DVD player is not one I'd buy again due to the battery charger issue. I left it charging on a 4 hour times and the plastic melted due to it getting too hot in some spot.

While it does play DVDs and the sound is so-so, I don't suggest that name to anyone.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks Bob, I think I might look elsewhere.
by fishhatch / June 9, 2005 11:20 AM PDT

I did however like the swivel screen and the size of the screen but if it melts that's not gonna be good for anyone.

Collapse -
Concerned about Polaroid 10" PDV1008n
by masani3 / July 7, 2005 12:14 AM PDT

I recently ordered the same "NOT THAT MODEL" Polaroid DVD 1008n player from Walmart because it was a good price deal, packed with extra accessories. I later stumbled upon these postings on it while looking up information about it. I was very alarmed and concerned about R. Proffitt's complaint of the over heating problem while charging the unit. So I contacted polaroid about it to see if they knew. They contacted me via email asking for the source of the reports so I directed them to these postings. I haven't received my unit yet and I may not use it when I do! Overheating is a potential fire hazard -additionally who would want to have a possible leg burn from having the unit charging on your lap after falling asleep during travel or even in the home? What if a child is using it under the same circumstances? I hope R.Proffitt will contact Polaroid as well.

Collapse -
No contact needed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 7, 2005 12:37 AM PDT

The issue is noted in the documentation which I read because I read such things. The charging warning is one of the first slips of paper you see as you unpack the model I have.

I don't reccomend the model I have for the simple reason the battery charging circuit is from the dark ages and should have never made it to market. But you have to understand that Polaroid suffers from their near death as a company experience and may be willing to use the name on any product.

Bob

Collapse -
Polaroid portable DVD players are good.
by A1 / July 25, 2005 5:41 AM PDT

The ten inch DVD player is my second Polaroid DVD player. I have had fantastic success with them. The first one(a six or so inch) I bought as an open box from BestBuy. When I got it home it did not have the remote. I contacted BestBuy and they did not have it or one I could buy and offered to take it back. I contacted Polaroid to buy one and they sent me one free. Their tech support was FANTASTIC! It was quite pleasant dealing with them, no hold time, pleasant and courteous person, and knowledgeable. It was everything that you would want from a support call.

The player has stood up to the abuse of my kids for my boys have dropped it on vacation three times (once on a marble floor) and each time I thought that the player was done. Each time it booted right up and played. The sound is less than outstanding through the speakers but on headphones and through the hotel TVs it sounds great. I have also played it through my truck stereo and it sounds great. We almost never play it through the speakers, it is always headphones or my truck stereo.

I was so pleased with the first one that when I saw the second one(the 10") I bought it up, I have been on a ten day vacation with this one and it has been great. I got my kids noise-canceling headphones for it so I can listen to my stereo in the truck or watch something else in the hotel while they watchand it has been great. I have had it for a month and am so glad I got it. I have another vacation lined up at the end of summer and that player is the first thing that I will pack for my kids!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.