General discussion

Point and shoot, big sensor, no shutter lag

by aylowe / January 8, 2010 10:20 AM PST

What camera fits these criteria?

(1) fits in my pocket
(2) big sensor
(3) no shutter lag
(4) lots of zoom

Based on my preliminary research it seems that (3) and (4) are more or less incompatible, and when you throw (2) in there it becomes downright impossible to find something. Basically I want something I can take around the city and whip out any time to take high quality photos. Who doesn't - I know. But any ideas? Price not really a consideration for now.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Point and shoot, big sensor, no shutter lag
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Point and shoot, big sensor, no shutter lag
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
There is no perfect small camera yet
by hjfok / January 8, 2010 10:58 AM PST

There are a few larger sensor but smaller size cameras but they don't quite fit comfortable into a normal pocket (you have to have a big pocket):
Olympus EP-2
Panasonic GF 1
Sigma DP 2 (this one has no zoom)

The Olympus EP-2 and Panasonic GF 1 and micro 4/3 systems, can change lenses with a good amount of zoom but that lens is bulky and will definitely not fit into a pocket. These 2 cameras have good quality images, on par with the entry level D-SLRs.

If you give up the large sensor, then there is the Canon G11 and S90. Sony is pushing out HX5 with 10x zoom but prior reviews of the back illuminated CMOS sensor is not quite the answer for PS camera in low light performance.

So your dream camera does not exist yet. If you want a smaller sized camera with D-SLR quality, the closest you can get is the Panasonic GF 1 and Olympus EP 2. But they can't fit in your pockets yet, and you need to change lenses like a D-SLR.

Collapse -
a quandry

Yeah, you'll have to give up some things. If you put those in order of value to you then you'd be willing to give up the zoom? If that's the case then look at the Canon S90.

If you want the zoom then your going to have to give up the sensor size and give up a little in the shutter lag. The fastest compact superzooms I could find were the Canon SX200, Canon SX110, Kodak Z915, and Fuji F70EXR. They all have a shutter lag of 4/10th of a sec or slightly less and meet all your other requirements except for the big sensor.

On the basis of high quality images I'd probably go with the SX200 and the Fuji F70EXR. If you were choosing a pocketable superzoom, based off of just image quality, then I'd choose a different camera than the ones listed.

Collapse -
No shutter lag
by cqxray / December 23, 2010 11:02 PM PST

If the starting criterion is no shutter lag, the Ricoh GDRIII would be a good candidate. With the camera set to a manual setting of the "snap" focus (which relies on the depth of field based on the f-stop setting), and the exposure also set to manual (there is a rocker button that you press once you get the framing right in order to set the exposure) then when you press the shutter there is no shutter lag.

That said, the lens is fixed at the equivalent of a 28mm wide angle. While it is not a zoom, it is super sharp. (Think of it as the old-style photojournalist's Leica.) The sensor is 1/1.7 ins. And yes, the camera fits in your pocket.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.