Peripherals forum

PNY usb flash drive not recognize on brand new system

by GPHisto / February 4, 2013 5:16 AM PST

I just purchased a brand new laptop (HP ProBook 4540s, Windows 7 Professional, Core i7-3612QM) and it's having some issues with USB flash drives, specifically PNY brand. Having issues right out of the box, I am considering returning the laptop, but was wondering if anyone knew what might be causing the problem?

I first tried a 32GB PNY attache and the driver installed successfully, but the device never showed up in Windows Explorer. I next tried a SanDisk 2GB and then a Seagate 1TB both of which installed drivers successfully and immediately appeared in Windows Explorer. Next was a 16GB PNY and again the driver successfully installed, but the device never appeared in Windows Explorer.

If I go into Computer Management the PNY flash drives appear under 'Disk drives' and under properties it says the device is working properly with the proper drivers. Within Disk Management the PNY drives will show up when first plugged in and say 'Healthy (active, primary partition)' but then almost immediately changes over to 'Unallocated.'

I have tried uninstalling these PNY drives and then installing them again but have had mostly the same results (a couple of times the device showed up with 'No media' within Disk Management, rather than 'Unallocated').

I have repeatedly used these two PNY drives on other laptops (Dell N4010, Windows 7 Home Premium and Macbook Pro, Lion OSX) and various desktops with nothing but success.

Should I return the laptop, or might there be something with the system that is causing it to not recognize only PNY devices?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PNY usb flash drive not recognize on brand new system
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PNY usb flash drive not recognize on brand new system
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Just to check.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 4, 2013 5:20 AM PST

Does this model use the "Insyde" BIOS? If so I have a story to share. HP was never able to fix my laptop with that BIOS and at 3 months broke it in their service and at 9 months I still had no working laptop. This could be some stick that needs a fresh format but given my history I worry about this maker.

Again, HP buys the BIOS and if you discover a flaw, it appears and for me they are unable to correct it as they don't have the team to do so. Our office is out one laptop for reasons I can only guess as HP walked.

Collapse -
Re: PNY drives
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 4, 2013 5:24 AM PST

It would be interesting to know what HP Customer Service says about the issue. Did you already contact them?

Curiously, Google finds a lot of hits for "HP PNY flash drive". And seems to say they are partners somehow. So nothing better than HP to tell you why it doesnt' work.

Collapse -
Same here
by daenas2000 / May 19, 2013 2:39 AM PDT

I have the same HP laptop, i5 core though, but I'm having the same issue. i bought a new 32gb PNY flash drive and it hasn't worked since day one. It works fine in my HP Netbook and on the computers at the college, but just not my laptop.

Collapse -
In your case.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 20, 2013 2:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Same here

32GB is very new and very large. I expect all 2GB and smaller drives to work all over. 8, 16 and with each step, you will find some machines that fail to work.

It can be the OS, a driver, formatting or all three issues.

Collapse -
similar problem
by cush-za / November 26, 2013 3:27 PM PST

I have a similar problem. surprisingly I tried my 16gig PNY flash drive in another HP ProBook 4540s running on Win7 and it worked fine. For some reasons it doesn't work on my HP, same make, same Operation system with latest win updates

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.