Samsung forum

Question

PN58C8000 Red banding with white backgrounds

by shwalton / April 26, 2012 2:59 AM PDT

I have a Samsung PN58C8000 Plasma TV that has developed a video "banding" problem. When the background is mostly white, there are large horizontal bands of red or pink, that appear. The bands are mainly from the middle to the top of the screen, and somewhat "transparent". When this happens, the bands sort of flash, or flutter. This happens on all inputs. I see the "banding" when watching hockey games, and any time the majority of the background is white. The TV is just out of warranty now, even with the 3 month extended warranty. Does anyone know of a fix for this problem? Except for the banding problem, this TV has a great picture and I would be willing to pay to have the banding problem fixed. If anyone else has had this problem and had it successfully repaired please let me know. Thanks!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PN58C8000 Red banding with white backgrounds
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PN58C8000 Red banding with white backgrounds
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
PN58C8000 Red Banding with White Backgrounds
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 27, 2012 1:51 AM PDT

shwalton,

This problem definitely sounds like something that may need to be serviced. Please contact us on Facebook or Twitter at this link: http://forums.cnet.com/7723-13973_102-542437/service-issues-click-here-for-help/

Be sure to mention that you have tried more than one video source when you contact us through one of those channels. That'll help them narrow down the issue more quickly, and then we'll definitely be able to get you in contact with a local service provider.

-- HD Tech

Collapse -
plasma
by XTOPHER34 / December 11, 2012 12:17 PM PST

I have the exact same tv and I am having the same problem with my tv and it is out of warranty it is only 2 years old and i am looking for help. Please help me Sad

Collapse -
Re: plasma
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 12, 2012 12:31 AM PST
In reply to: plasma
Collapse -
PN58C8000 banding issues
by msim1400 / December 16, 2012 5:46 AM PST
In reply to: plasma

I'm having the same problem with red banding on white backrounds. Not happy with the service center samsung is using, as they have not been helpful. Why would I pay a tech service $200 to come out and tell me I need a panel replacement when I already now that! (I haven't seen any reports of this problem being a simple fix). Quite honestly this is pretty sad as we have payed top dollar for this TV and we can't get more than a 1 year stanard warranty on this panel, especially when the issues are systemic. I could buy a new tv for what its going to cost to fix this. Pretty disappointed that I will have to pay out of pocket to fix this!

Collapse -
Answer
UPDATE - PN58C8000 Red banding with white backgrounds
by shwalton / May 3, 2012 4:35 AM PDT

After reading several forums, I have found that many people are having the same problem with the purple banding. I called Samsung again (3rd call) and mentioned that I have read about other people having the same problem. The Samsung rep put me on hold for a couple of minutes, then came back and offered to extend my warranty 90 days. I just had a Samsung service tech out last night. The tech put my TV into a "service" mode, and with a white screen he could easily see the purple banding. The tech told me he needed to replace the panel and it is being ordered. I will update this again after the panel has been replaced.

Collapse -
Thanks for the Update
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 3, 2012 4:59 AM PDT

shwalton,

Thanks for the update. Keep us posted of the results.

-- HD Tech

Collapse -
(NT) Any updates with the new panel?
by ZZZin / October 17, 2012 1:26 AM PDT
Collapse -
UPDATE - PN58C8000 Red banding with white backgrounds
by shwalton / October 17, 2012 5:22 AM PDT

A local Samsung repair technician replaced the main Plasma panel to fix the "Red banding" issue. I was lucky to have this covered under warranty by Samsung. When I originally called my TV was about 3 weeks out of warranty. After calling a couple more times and pointing out that I had read about other people having the same Red banding problem, the Samsung rep offered to extend my warranty by 90 days. It has been about 3 months since the Plasma panel was replaced and so far so good, no red banding

Collapse -
2nd UPDATE - PN58C8000 Red banding with white backgrounds
by shwalton / June 13, 2013 1:29 AM PDT

After having the plasma panel replaced in May 2012 - the TV worked perfect for about 6 months, then I started seeing the red/pink banding problem again. The banding starts out being barely noticeable at first, but it gets progressively worse. In my opinion, I think the problem must be due to a design issue. Maybe the heat causes trouble over time? I have called Samsung again to see if they will work with me even though my TV is no longer in warranty.

Collapse -
PN58C8000 - red banding with white backgrounds
by danhyder / April 21, 2014 2:59 AM PDT

I just found this issue on my tv. Luckily i bought the 5 year service plan. The tech who came out to examine the tv called the problem "solarization."

They are replacing my panel. I hope the problem doesn't come back.

What is the part number for this panel? I wanted to look it up online.

Collapse -
When I need parts
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 21, 2014 3:04 AM PDT

I head to www.samsungparts.com and if they sell it, it's usually there.
Bob

Collapse -
3rd UPDATE - PNC58C8000 Pink banding with white backgrounds
by shwalton / October 21, 2014 4:01 AM PDT

After having the plasma panel replaced under warranty in May 2012, the pink banding returned about 6 months later. After several calls to Samsung over the next few months, I finally gave up after they refused to correct the problem. I spoke to a couple different "Executive Customer Relations" representatives, but I was told they would not repair or replace my TV since it was out of warranty. I eventually found a Samsung service bulletin (#ASC20130528001) on the Chang.org website, that was published in May 2013, for the Pink Banding issue.. I called Samsung again after finding this service bulletin and they still refused to cover the problem under warranty, even though it was a well known problem. The service bulletin calls for an logic S/W upgrade and voltage adjustment. Following directions I found on a few different forums, I was able to do the software upgrade and voltage adjustment myself and the pink banding problem is gone.

I am extremely unhappy with Samsung, they have to had known there was a design issue with this family of Plasma TV's, and they should have offered to rectify the problem for me since the original problem surfaced while my TV was under warranty.

If you have this Pink Banding problem with your Samsung Plasma TV, it can be fixed in an hour or so.

MODELS:
PN58C550G1FXZA, PN63C550G1FXZA,
PN58C590G2FXZA, PN58C590G4FXZA,
PN63C590G4FXZA, PN58C6400TFXZA,
PN58C6500TFXZA, PN58C680G5FXZA,
PN58C7000YFXZA, PN63C7000YFXZA,
PN58C8000YFXZA, PN63C8000YFXZA

The thread is on AVS Forum
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-plasma-flat-panel-displays/1477910-pn58c8000-pink-banding.html

The Samsung Service Bulletin can be downloaded at:
http://www.encompassparts.com/newsletter_docs/pink_banding_July2013.pdf

Many people have reported that they have solved the Pink Banding issue only by adjusting the VS voltage to 213v, without updating the Logic S/W.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.