Samsung forum

General discussion

PN50B650 DLNA no fast forward / rewind?

by yenic / August 5, 2009 10:54 AM PDT

I'm loving this tv... and very pleased with my decision to buy a Samsung.. I was sold on the idea of getting a Panasonic until really reading the reviews on the plasmas here at Cnet and finding all the features they packed into the Samsung. Seeing it in person put it in my mind up there with the best looking tvs you can find.

The only real flaw I've found with this tv so far is there is no fast forward or rewind when streaming videos through DLNA. I really enjoy this feature.. it's the one that probably tipped me over to the Samsung and this is a major disappointment.

Another concern that I haven't tested yet, is if when you add files to your PC if you have to rescan the folder and/or stop/start the Samsung media server to see the new files on the tv.

If there is any way around these problems, especially the FF/RWD issue please let me know. Otherwise I hope this is fixed or being fixed in firmware updates since at least the 2009 models should have this? I could understand if I'd gotten an older model but from my research this has existed through a couple generations now.

I should note that I'm also buying (pretty sure I'm buying) the Samsung HT-BD8200 when it becomes available.. this is a $800 purchase and I'd like to become a loyal Samsung customer. Normally I wouldn't raise a stink or register on a forum to make a note of this, but FF/RWD on the USB and not through the network is pretty silly and nearly useless.

If this isn't fixed or being worked on, I more than likely will be forced to pickup a PS3 (for bluray and media streaming) and a Sony HT-CT100 soundbar.
I really don't want to have to go that route as going with all the Samsung equipment is almost perfect if they could just add FF/RWD to DLNA.

Looking for more information so I can complete my home theater, thanks in advance

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PN50B650 DLNA no fast forward / rewind?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PN50B650 DLNA no fast forward / rewind?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
PN50B650 DLNA no fast forward / rewind?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / August 5, 2009 4:42 PM PDT

yenic,

I appreciate the feedback, and your opinions.

Unfortunately, the functionality for streamed FF/REW doesn't exist on our televisions (and many other devices) that support DLNA. This is noted in the manual here:
http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp60/samsung_hd_tech/DLNANotSupport.jpg

I've been reporting on the displeasure expressed in the forums. As of now, I haven't received word back on if this is going to be changed, or addressed. It's not an answer I like to give, but I believe in being straightforward. Noted by your post, we make lose a sale, and I accept that. I give the most accurate answers I can and take pride in pointing people in the direction of solutions that make them happiest. In the meantime, I'll see that your comments are heard.

To address the other point, yes when you add files to the PC Share Manager, those folders have to be shared folders and the server has to refresh to identify the new files that have been added. It should only take a minute or so, depending on how many files you have in queue.

Hope that helps, and if I can help further, please let me know.

--HDTech

Collapse -
streaming
by yenic / August 5, 2009 11:18 PM PDT

Just to get a response from a Samsung rep so fast is amazing. Thanks and I hope your corporation always keeps that up.

I might have a solution in the works for FF/RWD, different media center software I'm told can support this so I will give that a try.

I understand I certainly don't support the Samsung corporation with my purchases but my point was you have some very compelling products and so close to being perfect enough where someone who (thinks) they know their technology (me) can have everything they wanted from one vendor. I'd like to take advantage of Anynet+ and having 1 remote instead of getting into a separate receiver, console ect and needing a programmable remote.

Either way, for the price of the tv there's a ton of features and I'm still happy with it. It's still the best on the market.

If network streaming is a problem due to bandwidth or other issues, may I suggest leaving out realtime seek streaming and only doing seek by time. I don't think anyone would mind if that (easier to implement) method was used. Or even jumping every 5 minutes back and forward with each button press so it's not impossible to resume where you were or see a favorite part.

Thanks for the prompt reply and your candid response, Samsung will keep my patronage and the spreading of the good word on the product and support to share with my colleagues.

Collapse -
streaming
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / August 6, 2009 8:55 AM PDT
In reply to: streaming

yenic,

Thanks for your kind words.

I don't really make the decisions on these, but I do support the decisions that are made. I like the idea you've presented here, and I'll be happy to pass that up. I don't know what, if any, additional functionality will be made. I've noted on other parts of the threads that fixes, not functionality are the main reasons for firmware updates, but I do believe that when ideas are presented, they merit a closer looks, and I appreciate your candid response and continued support.

--HDTech

Collapse -
HT-BD8200
by yenic / August 6, 2009 1:24 PM PDT
In reply to: streaming

As strange as it might sound... FF/RWD is now working while streaming videos using DLNA (w/ShareManager). I don't know what enabled it.. but I did have some files that were corrupted the last time I formatted my PC (the last 10 minutes of the videos were erased and VLC player said they were corrupted and tried to fix them). There is no USB drive plugged into the tv.

I think all of those files are the ones that I can't FF/RWD.. all recent videos (post-format) I can. The only other thing I did was try Tversity and Playon. I've uninstalled both apps and I can still FF/RWD using ShareManager.
I'm on the 1008 firmware. I'd be happy to record a video of this if needed.. but it's real and works very well over 100mbit ethernet.

I'm going to try to find out what the issue is, but I think it's only my old (corrupted) files that were never FF'ing. I'm guessing it was always working and had nothing to do with trying Tversity/Playon.

My exact setup is ShareManager 2.1 on an old Core2Quad 9450@3ghz w/8GB ram on Windows 7 RC. Using a standard 100mbit cat5e with a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 using Tomato firmware. Not sure what's going on here but I'm very pleased.

If you have a release date for the HT-BD8200 please let me know. Originally it was July. I'm currently signed up to Crutchfield's email notification when it's in stock but I'm eager to get ahold on one of those.

Collapse -
FF in DLNA media
by samali786 / October 19, 2009 4:40 AM PDT
In reply to: HT-BD8200

I am using Mac with eyeconnect to get my UE46B7000 play the media. However I am unable to fast forward or rewind. Reading this thread I am little confused , earlier Samsung support guy said that it is not supported however then in the last message someone it was something to do with file being played.
Thanks in advance.

Collapse -
TwonkyMedia + Samsung DLNA = FF/RWD/PAUSE works
by ponca707 / January 21, 2010 5:04 PM PST
In reply to: FF in DLNA media

I've tested a bunch of DLNA servers (EyeConnect etc.) on Mac for the Samsung UE46B7070 TV. They were all unable to handle PAUSE/FF/RWD. Finally I found one that works, TwonkyMedia. Some issues with RWD but PAUSE/FF works like a charm.

Collapse -
Maybe...
by BoiseSpin / February 10, 2010 3:15 AM PST

Yes, Twonky Media does allow for this, yet:
Sometimes the feature is there, sometimes not. (Same file format, both AVI)
Sometimes the feature works at any point during playback, sometimes not.

I have yet to figure out why. There has been zero response from "support" at TM.

Collapse -
Another DLNA server
by mezzmo / February 10, 2010 12:58 PM PST
In reply to: Maybe...

I work for Conceiva and we are the authors of another DLNA server - Mezzmo. We are actually working on making FF/REW/Pause available for Samsung TVs when using Mezzmo, so you may want to try it as well, if you're interested. Mezzmo also allows you to transcode your files to make them compatible with the TV.

Collapse -
Mezzmo...
by BoiseSpin / February 10, 2010 1:41 PM PST
In reply to: Another DLNA server

It's looks like a great server.
I run on OSX, so will wait until you have a version that supports that OS. Would be happy to beta test.

Collapse -
OSX
by mezzmo / February 10, 2010 1:48 PM PST
In reply to: Mezzmo...

Thanks! I don't know whether there'll be a Mac version any time soon, but it's possible to run Windows on a Mac: http://www.apple.com/macosx/compatibility/ and then run Mezzmo in there (although we haven't tried that here yet).

Collapse -
FFW RWD works on some MP4s
by highfiber / February 13, 2010 11:06 PM PST
In reply to: Another DLNA server

I have recently tried Mezzmo as as Samsung's PC Share software. I have determined that some of my MP4 formated video files do allow "jump" fast forward and rewind. I have other MP4 files that do not seem to work. I have not yet determined why one file works and the next doesnt, however this is the only file format I have found where FFW and RWD seem to work some times. This functionality works on both Samsung software and Mezzmo. I will say that Mezzmo looks pretty nice and has some more advanced features.

Any video file experts lurking that can help get to the bottom of this? I suspect its an issue of encoding and some MP4 files may be leaving out additional seek information when they are encoded??? Probably some option within the encode software or properties missing from the original file perhaps?

Collapse -
New update
by mezzmo / February 14, 2010 6:56 AM PST

Hello,

Thanks for trying Mezzmo!

We have a new update coming out shortly and that includes some server-side enhancements that may enable FF/RWD on more file types. The version that'll have that will be 2.1.3.

Also, please feel free to contact our support (support <at> conceiva <dot> com) and we'll look after you (even if you haven't purchased Mezzmo).

Dennis

Collapse -
DNLA
by DAN GERSON / January 22, 2010 12:32 AM PST

I appreciate how Samsung participates in the forum, that is welcome to see.

For this reason, they should take note that the feature which they greatly advertise, DNLA, is POORLY implemented on these TVs. It is a standard for that reason, so implementations can be standard and it can work with 3rd party devices. I have a Netgear ReadyNAS, and they have customized dnla on thier device to work better with Samsung, which is great. However this should not have to be the case.

When playing files via USB, all functionality works (ff/rw/pause/resume). This should be the goal of the DNLA as well. This was a major decision maker in my choice to buy this TV. I am considering returning it because i feel duped by this weak implementation of DNLA. The browsing (basic view) is weak too. Please communicate this to the Samsung product team.

Side note: Yahoo widgets are insanely slow. Why is this?

Collapse -
Samsung DLNA trick playmode - serverside implementation
by highfiber / February 13, 2010 11:26 PM PST
In reply to: DNLA

FFW and RWD can be implemented on either the client or the serverside if my DLNA understanding is correct. It looks like at least someone at Samsung is looking into options, but it's frustrating that they haven't improved the situation for existing customers. I guess they figure once you paid they have your money and perhaps they only care to fix the next gen of TV's so you will be enticed to buy another ...

Here's an interesting article
http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/articleSale/Sarticle.jsp?arnumber=5202611

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.