Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Plz Help - Printer Sharing on XP/Vista Network

by Cab_0001 / February 5, 2007 12:49 AM PST

Hi All - I have hit a networking issue that I can't get past and hopefully someone can help.

I have a home PC network established with four machines. There are three PCs running XP Pro SP2 with a laptop running Vista Business. I have a printer attached to my main XP Pro desktop PC. The three XP machines can see each other and access the printer. As for the Vista laptop, I can get it to see the network, connect to the other PCs in the network and can also see the printer and connect to it. But whenever I Print anything from the Vista machine ? it looks as if the request is sent to the printer ? but nothing happens ? it doesn?t spool on the main machine nor print anything.

I have Norton security on both the main desktop and Vista laptop and have turned off the Norton and Windows firewalls on both. The printer driver for Vista was installed with the Vista OS from what HP says on their web site for the printer. I also download Link Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) on the main machine (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4F01A31D-EE46-481E-BA11-37F485FA34EA&displaylang=en&Hash=SPfZPm6bbB4d6TCoqe65XDMNaIKQ7HtmmzcQw2q4dm0OdYgRONt2C0%2fPVpHhC9ziuumuQI%2fiu6RTusBiYc0NZA%3d%3d) but hasn?t helped.

My only thoughts now are that there is some conflict between XP and Vista not talking correctly. Or my printer did not have a driver for Vista installed when I got it a couple years ago and isn?t recognizing the incoming request from Vista? I don?t have the Vista driver installed on the main machine and HP doesn?t let you download it from what I have seen.

Any help, ideas or similar experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Plz Help - Printer Sharing on XP/Vista Network
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Plz Help - Printer Sharing on XP/Vista Network
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
re:Plz Help - Printer Sharing on XP/Vista Network
by kaufmanmoore / February 15, 2007 12:36 PM PST

I had the same problem and here's what I did to fix it:

Go to Control Panel. Choose printer. Then choose Add Printer.

Choose Add a local printer. Click on Create a new port. The default in the drop down box is Local Port. Do not change that. Click Next.

A dialogue box will appear asking for you to enter a port name. Type in the \\computer name\printer name ie. My computer's name is basement and the printer name is EpsonSty so I typed in \\basement\epsonsty

Yahoo! It worked. Go figure! I guess Microsoft thinks printers on a intranet are local.

I hope this helps, I scoured many forums b4 finding this fix. Microsoft's support docs and HP's tech support were no help.

Collapse -
Printer Sharing on XP/Vista Network
by jwalker999 / February 17, 2007 11:32 AM PST

Kaufmanmoore, Thanks for the advice. It worked like a charm. Note: copy your computer name and printer name exactly, it's case case sensitive, so if you enter it wrong, it won't work. (I found out the hard way.)

Collapse -
kaufmanmoore has the solution for ur problem
by yerraguntla_r / March 25, 2007 10:34 PM PDT

I got my problem solved with ur suggestion
thank you Mr.kaufmanmoore

Collapse -
Adding printer to vista laptop
by mvastag / February 4, 2008 9:08 AM PST

Thank you so much for your posting. After trying to figure out what I was doing wrong I came across you solution and it worked. THANK YOU!!

Collapse -
it works!
by lovsyk / April 11, 2007 1:28 PM PDT

I tried everything else, checked out numerous support options - THIS option works! Thanks loads.

Collapse -
Yes it works
by q7000 / April 17, 2007 4:24 AM PDT

This was the only solution I could find anywhere that would work. All the rest was basic stuff I'd already done. Thanks!!!

It's amazing how MS couldn't even get something as basic as adding a network printer right with Vista. It worked on 95, 98, Me, and XP machines I have used over the years, but not with Vista. Shame on them.

Collapse -
Yes it works!!
by mjpeltz / April 24, 2007 3:53 AM PDT

Yes!!!! my wife thinks I'm brillant!! I was going to buy a wireless print server to get my vista laptop to work with the printer on my networked xp machines.......thanks for saving me 100 bucks!!

Collapse -
XP/Vista Printer Sharing
by pat1rog / August 13, 2007 4:12 AM PDT

THANK YOU! It worked PERFECTLY!

Collapse -
Thank you
by soobedo / September 3, 2007 10:42 AM PDT

I don't know what I'd do without people like you and other's help on the internet. Thanks for the simple, clear advise - worked like a charm.

Collapse -
THANK YOU!!!
by ineffable / September 13, 2007 2:38 PM PDT

Yes thank you kaufmanmoore, your solution worked... after 3 days of this nonsense I finally got my vista laptop to print to my printer attached to my xp desktop over wireless.

Collapse -
by circa1871 / October 13, 2007 8:10 AM PDT

Message/Post 2 Thumbs Up - Worked perfectly. (Only if I had discovered this about four hours ago...)

Desktop Computer - XP
HP Printer (HP5550) connected directly to Desktop Computer
Toshiba Laptop - Vista
Router - DLink Wireless WBR2310
Desktop connected to Router via Cable.
Laptop connected to Router via Wireless.

Collapse -
Network Printing with XP and Vista
by jljdestiny9 / October 14, 2007 10:46 AM PDT

Thank you kaufmanmoore, your solution worked... after 2 days of this nonsense I finally got my vista laptop to print to my printer attached to my xp desktop over wireless. I have tried so many things, I thought I would never get it working and was resigned to only print items that I emailed to myself and opened on the XP computer. Your advice was amazing, THANK YOU!

Collapse -
outstanding
by JonMD / October 19, 2007 4:47 AM PDT

After hours of researching, like so many others I found this...5 minutes later it works...I'm e mailing it off to the networking tech support group for my printer as they just told me it couldn't be done.

Collapse -
YAY!!!
by Jer-Bear20 / October 21, 2007 12:49 PM PDT

I've been looking all over to try and find out how to get my printer working with my vista machine. I'm running vista premium and this technique worked great. Very easy to do and does exactly what I need. Thanks Happy

Collapse -
network printers
by TimJackson05 / June 19, 2008 2:16 AM PDT
In reply to: YAY!!!

Great stuff, many thanks - if only Vista was properly thought out!

Collapse -
Thank you...Thank you
by gacorbin / November 16, 2007 9:34 AM PST

I can't believe this is not documented better at Microsoft, Dell and the internet. I spent a couple of hours trying to find a solution and took me two minutes to fix the problem with your posting.

Thanks again,
Greg

Collapse -
Helpful Guru of the Year
by hjustice / November 27, 2007 7:39 AM PST

Kaufman,

I'd like to nominate you for the Helpful Guru of the Year. I had been trying for quite some time to get my laptop with Vista to print to a network printer that is served by an XP machine. Your solution worked and it is a great and not obvious solution.

Collapse -
Helpful Guru of the Year
by jljdestiny9 / November 27, 2007 2:48 PM PST

You get my vote as well. I have shared your instructions with co-workers and family since it helped me last month. Thank You Again!

Collapse -
This worksfor my old HP 842C printer but not for ML2510
by TLBlues / December 28, 2007 4:39 AM PST

After many many hours of tinkering around trying to get Printers Shared from my XP computers to my new Vista Laptop I finally got it to work for one of my printers (HP842C).
My network:
Computer1: Desktop XP Pro SP2 3 Printers attached
Computer2: Desktop XP Pro SP2 1 Printer attached (HP842C)
Computer3: Desktop XP Pro SP2 Wireless LAN card
Computer4: Toshiba Laptop with VISTA home premium.
I am using a Netgear wireless router with Computer1 and Computer2 directly connected using LAN cables. All computers can see each other and I can move files around and see all shared printers. I have also turned off Password protected sharing on the VISTA LapTop making it easier to gain access from my XP computers. All XP computers have no problem using the shared printers, BUT of course there has been no end of problems getting the VISTA laptop to print. I had originally tried to set up the printer using the ?Add a network, wireless or Bluetooth printer? (which resulted in no printing and/or error messages when loading or when trying to print or just no printing - everything looked like it was working including spooling and sending the data across to the shared printer resource but just no printing). The same thing happened when I tried to load the shared printer by going to Network ? clicking on the shared computer and then clicking on the shared printer and then clicking on connect (the most logical way to connect to a printer).

What I found was for my HP842C VISTA was loading the wrong driver. It loaded a HP840C driver. So I deleted the printer on my VISTA Laptop and tried installing as a local printer.

Following the instructions I set up a local printer: \\Computer2\HP842C (Note: Case sensitive) and made sure I selected up the HP DeskJet 840C/841C/842C/843C Printer Driver. This worked! MANY THANKS TO THIS FORUM!

Next problem I am tackling is to connect up my VISTA Laptop to my Samsung ML-2510 printer shared from Computer2. I have tried using the proposed method but I get the following error during installation: ?Operation could not be completed (error 0X000006be)?. I also tried connecting the printer directly to my laptop and and installing the Drivers and then moving the Printer back to the XP and connecting by \\Computer2\ML2510 but I then get a Print Spooler error when I try and print to the ML-2510. I have now uninstalled the Samsung Print drivers and will start again. Of course these is the VISTA print driver that came with the printer. I have also tried using the ML2510 driver that comes with VISTA and it does not work either. Has anyone been successful in installing this shared printer in Vista?

Other Printers I need to get connected: Epson PHOTO R200 and Epson CX6600

Collapse -
Just a suggestion
by PudgyOne / December 28, 2007 9:01 AM PST

You may want to read the forum sticky fully. One of those posts (around 12 or 13) may be what you're looking for.

Forum Sticky

Rick

Collapse -
Agree - that's where I got the information from
by TLBlues / December 28, 2007 2:01 PM PST
In reply to: Just a suggestion

Yup that's the post I got the information from. It works for my HP842C but I have not been able to apply it to my ML-2510 as I keep getting the errors sited in my original post. So I am looking for someone that has successfully loaded a ML-2510 shared from an XP computer on a Vista computer.

Collapse -
Printer Sharing on XP/ Vista Network
by Jantojr / February 19, 2008 10:33 PM PST

I got my main dell XPS PC connected to my (Shared)HP printer. The funny thing is that I got to connect 2 VISTA laptop (Ultimate/Business) via the XP \\DesktopName\printername with no issue but another VISTA(Home) just would not connect. The only way, I get it to connect is via IP address, which is not ideal as sometime I have to reboot my router and XP pc does not come up all the time with the same IP. Therefore I have to delete the printer from the VISTA Home laptop and re-add it. Would you know the reason why?

Thanks

Collapse -
Thanks. for the info
by bierbr1 / March 21, 2008 10:06 AM PDT

Worked as described, at least until the Vista system was rebooted, the the printer was reported as offline. Leaving the local port in place, deleting the printer and re-installing it, reconnecting it to the local port restored the printer, at least until the Vista system was re-booted. Looks like a HP deskjet 5100 series printer driver issue on the Vista system.

Anybody run into this before?

Collapse -
hi
by sibashis / March 23, 2008 5:36 PM PDT

hi

the below solution of urs didnt work for me, when i typed the port as you told that is the \\computer name\printer name..its coming access denied..

can u help me with the solution.

regards
SD

Collapse -
You need to make your own posting.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 23, 2008 8:49 PM PDT
In reply to: hi

Your request is buried in an old discussion and ... "Note: If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem." should be taken as advice so the first reply isn't a request for more info.

Collapse -
THANK YOU!!!!
by Hbloomer / April 23, 2008 9:34 AM PDT

Thank you for this post, I have been trying to get the printer to work from vista on my laptop to Xp on my desktop for at least 3 Hours, you are a god!
Happy

Collapse -
printing from a vista PC to a printer on an XP PC
by coondog1234 / May 7, 2008 11:35 AM PDT

replying to:
by kaufmanmoore - 2/15/07 8:36 PM
In reply to: Plz Help - Printer Sharing on XP/Vista Network by Cab_0001

I had the same problem and here's what I did to fix it:

Go to Control Panel. Choose printer. Then choose Add Printer.

Choose Add a local printer. Click on Create a new port. The default in the drop down box is Local Port. Do not change that. Click Next.

A dialogue box will appear asking for you to enter a port name. Type in the \\computer name\printer name ie. My computer's name is basement and the printer name is EpsonSty so I typed in \\basement\epsonsty

Yahoo! It worked. Go figure! I guess Microsoft thinks printers on a intranet are local.

I hope this helps, I scoured many forums b4 finding this fix. Microsoft's support docs and HP's tech support were no help.

kaufmanmoore which computer do I do this to I have a windows XP machine where my printer is on and this machine is hardwired via ethernet to my wifi router and a vista machine that connects to the internet via a wifi card and what i would like to do is be able to print from my vista machine to my printer connected to my XP machine is there any way i can do this? Do I need to install my printer drivers on the vista machine, any help is appreciated thanks

Collapse -
printing from a vista PC to a printer on an XP PC
by lelecarabina / October 4, 2008 3:44 AM PDT

hi, I followed all the steps and my vista keeps telling me that the network path was not found or, sometimes, it says "access denied", even when I am runnign it as administrator.
I have 2 printers and they are both shared amongst all the comps in the house, only the vista X64 gives me the problem. does any one know what I can do to fix that? by the way, the vista comp is active over the network and exchanges files with other computers normally. i am desperate.

Collapse -
switch computers
by florintopa / October 4, 2008 11:40 PM PDT

I experienced the same problem; the only way it worked for me was to connect the printer direct ot the Vista computer and use it on the other XP computers as a shared over local network printer.I know it's not the best or smart solution and probably sometimes it can't be applied, but I was tired to follow a lot of solutions which took time and gave no results.

Collapse -
Printer Problems
by emma.m / May 9, 2008 11:53 PM PDT

Thank you so much, I have just spent 4 days trying to sort this problem out and it was so easy.

Your a life saver!!!!!!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.