PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Plugged new tablet into USB port, now all USB ports fried.

by snapdragon8888 / December 25, 2012 8:29 AM PST

I got a new tablet for Christmas, and I plugged it into a USB port on my Dell desktop. The tablet showed charging but would not power on. I unplugged the tablet from the USB and suddenly neither my mouse nor my keyboard would work. All USB ports seem to be completely dead. Because I have no way to hook up an input device (there's no PS2 port), I can't get to settings.

I tried powering off and unplugging the desktop for about five minutes and then powering back on. I've tried powering on/off with the keyboard plugged into any or all USB ports, and the keyboard does not light up, not even before Windows starts up.

Any suggestions? I've already had several people tell me to go to device manager, but remember I have no input whatsoever.

Thanks!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Plugged new tablet into USB port, now all USB ports fried.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Plugged new tablet into USB port, now all USB ports fried.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try the usual.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 25, 2012 8:32 AM PST

Look for a CMOS/BIOS reset jumper. Many dells have them and the model is missing so I'll only add that we usually can slip in some USB PCI card to stand in.
Bob

Collapse -
Inspiron 620
by snapdragon8888 / December 25, 2012 8:45 AM PST
In reply to: Try the usual.

Couldn't even find the model number at first because I usually access it through the control panel. Finally found the teeny print on the back. It's an Inspiron 620. The only jumper I can find is a red one near the power cord, but it seems to just be for power. If all else fails, I'll try the PCI USB.

Thanks

Collapse -
I use the service tag number.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 25, 2012 8:48 AM PST
In reply to: Inspiron 620

Then you get to dell.com, put that in and there's your machine.
Bob

Collapse -
Called Tech Support
by snapdragon8888 / December 25, 2012 9:29 AM PST

Called Dell Tech Support, not expecting to talk to a real person. Not only was there a real tech support agent on the other end, but after about five minutes of troubleshooting, he said someone would come to my house to replace the motherboard.

Thanks for the quick replies.

Collapse -
Problem
by Willy / December 25, 2012 9:39 PM PST
In reply to: Called Tech Support

According to your post, all that was done was insert tablet into 620 and then USB ports got hosed. Further, you tried all ports, thus all USB ports got hosed. So, if the PC was working OK before and then the tablet connection, what will be the outcome of 620 repair? If the tablet is once again attached? I make this point because if the problem returns, don't swap to another USB port. Maybe install a pci type USB card and use only those ports to attach to for that tablet. If it fails, then replacing that card will be simpler than a mtrbd. one. Otherwise, if the problem returns, you have a bad tablet or gotten bad due to previous problem. The likelihood of problem returning is very possible. good luck ------Willy Happy

Collapse -
returning the tablet
by snapdragon8888 / December 25, 2012 9:54 PM PST
In reply to: Problem

I think that the tablet is the problem. I've had it charging all night on the AC charger, and when I turn it on, there seem to be surges. The picture on the screen is on for about a second, off for about two seconds, on, off, etc. Maybe that surging is what blew out my USB power supply? I'm taking the tablet back.

Collapse -
Possible cause and fix
by Willy / December 25, 2012 9:23 AM PST

Tablets are very power hungry devices. Usually the USB port provides only a minor charge and syncing. If you simply just plug-in the new tablet for 1st time charge, it may have been too much and caused your problem. If your tablet came with it's charger, use that to fully charge then once your PC is up and running, then reconnect to sync at which time its does a minor charge. Providing the CMOS clearing resets the bios to default and you can re-enter with kybd. to reset, etc.., then OK. Otherwise, you have hosed your PC and installing a USB pci card may correct the issue or replace the Dell mtrbd.. Make sure your tablet USB cable is properly connected as well on both ends.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Thanks!
by snapdragon8888 / December 25, 2012 10:43 PM PST
In reply to: Possible cause and fix

I appreciate the time you guys (?) took during Christmas to reply. And thanks also for really listening.

I asked two different IT friends of mine about it--told them that neither mouse nor keyboard worked at all at any time or place. One told me to go into safe mode when I booted up, and the other told me to go into the device manager. I told them that since I turned 50, my telekinetic powers are not what they used to me, so I might need to use an actual input device, and THOSE DON'T WORK. LOL

Merry Christmas!

Debbie

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.