Laptops forum

Question

"Plugged In, Not Charging" Toshiba

by Kiavelle / November 3, 2011 5:14 AM PDT

I have a Toshiba laptop (I don't know exactly what kind... I suppose I can look... somewhere. XD) that has stopped charging the battery.

I got this laptop Christmas 2010, so it is under a year old, but we've had problems with the warranty. We can't seem to find anything that shows when we bought the computer. Also, we didn't pay with the credit card, so that doesn't help us.

Anyway, I noticed last night that the battery charging icon says "Plugged in, not charging". I looked at a thread here about someone with the same problem, and they were able to fix it by uninstalling the Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery thing, and then reinstalling it. So I tried that, but it did not work for me.
I cannot remember any time of the computer being dropped, and the battery has been working fine up to this point, with a charge of about 1 1/2, 2 hours. It's just been since last night that we've had this problem.

I think it happened right after the computer started beeping because it needed plugged in since the battery had run out of charge (After being unplugged for about an hour and a half).
I have let the charge run down to about 10 minutes several times before, but this is obviously the first time the computer would not charge the battery.

Thanks for any help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "Plugged In, Not Charging" Toshiba
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "Plugged In, Not Charging" Toshiba
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
If they are not honoring the warranty,
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 3, 2011 5:18 AM PDT

It's time to complain to your local or state board about that.

Please try the generic reset as well (takes about 2 minutes and does not wipe data.)
Bob

Collapse -
Warranty
by Kiavelle / November 3, 2011 5:25 AM PDT

It is actually our fault about the warranty, I believe. My mother either misplaced it, or threw it away accidentally. I'll talk to her about it later when she is around. It's possible that we have it lying around somewhere, though.
I should have been more clear about that in my original post.

How do I do the generic reset? Is there a link to something that would explain? Thank you.

Collapse -
Fixed!
by Kiavelle / November 3, 2011 5:42 AM PDT

I think I fixed it. I will have to see if the fix has "staying power". LOL
I took the battery out, and then put it back in. I had to do it twice, though.

It now says it is charging. Hopefully that is all I have to do.

I will still be keeping an eye out for the warranty, of course.

Collapse -
Removing the battery worked...
by CN-Charles / April 10, 2013 11:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Fixed!

Hello,

March 2013 update, Toshiba still has the problem? In any event:

I used System Configuration and disabled Toshiba Power Saver, it made no difference, and re-enabled it.

Then I unplugged the battery, that worked. While the NB305 was plugged in (and not charging) I removed the battery (the NB305 kept running), waited about 10 seconds, and reinserted the battery. Lo and behold it started charging and has gone from 71% not charging to charging and has now reached 99% and charging.

So far so good!
Charles

Collapse -
Nice fix.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 10, 2013 11:49 AM PDT

It's a spin on the generic reset. Always try that!

Collapse -
THANK YOU!
by bklynjaded2009 / September 9, 2013 7:46 AM PDT

I have literally had this computer under two weeks and was ready to flip! How dare it not work! But I removed the battery while it was still plugged in, and now it's charging as it should! I'm going to let it charge fully before trying to use it without it being plugged in as I have a lot of work open right now, but thank you soooo much!!!

Collapse -
Answer
TOSHIBA Power Saver Error
by Akra_Pegasus / March 15, 2013 9:25 PM PDT

The reaseon of the problem lies on the Toshiba Power Saver Utility Problem which should be disabled in Services menu of windows 7. This Toshiba Power Saver Utility is not compatible with win 7 which is only compatible with XP. I don't understand why they include in the default win7 package as a first installment.

To disable Toshiba Saver Utility

write Services on startup find and enter it, then find Toshiba Power Saver, rigt click to options and disable it from automatic.

This will solve the plug in not charging problem.

Collapse -
Toshiba Eco Utility not in use.
by Joe2PointOh / December 20, 2013 11:48 AM PST

I've tried all of these battery reset methods yet it remains "plugged in not charging." Upon inspection of the battery connector in the laptop it appears the center area pins are lower than those on the ends. Is this normal? This Satellite model is less than 2 mos old!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.